Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers, Minkah Fitzpatrick Agree To Four-Year Contract Extension

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Steelers, Minkah Fitzpatrick Agree To Four-Year Contract Extension

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Re: Steelers, Minkah Fitzpatrick Agree To Four-Year Contract Extension

Steelers are cheap…once again…

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Minkah is the highest paid Safety in the league. For now.

Had to get this deal done before someone else jacked up the value. Now the next guy will demand more.

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

I personally have no problem with this contract and making Fitzpatrick the highest paid S in the league as of now. I fully believe in a team paying true "blue chip" players the big contracts. Minkah has consistently played at at an extremely high level, and his impact on the Steelers secondary was evident from the first time he took the field. TJ and Minkah deserved their contracts, and are players you can build around.

There are other teams that make a player one on the most highly paid at their position........... who are clearly not at the elite (top 5) of their position as far as impact and production (i.e, David Njoku, Christian Kirk as examples).

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

The Steelers haven't had an good (or even decent) secondary since Troy retired. After years of Robert Golden, Sean Davis, and Mike Mitchell, The Steelers finally got something in Minkah.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Good deal for the Steelers.

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    The Steelers haven't had an good (or even decent) secondary since Troy retired. After years of Robert Golden, Sean Davis, and Mike Mitchell, The Steelers finally got something in Minkah.
    But they haaad to trade a first round pick for him…lol

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Holy shit is that a lot of money, but if there's one guy besides Watt who's worth keeping at any price, that's it.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Fire Khaaaaan!

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

I saw on FB that it was a 5 year contract, either way good signing

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    I saw on FB that it was a 5 year contract, either way good signing
    It is a 4yr extension of his current deal which he has one more year on, totaling 5

Senior Member Array title="Dissolv is a splendid one to behold"> Dissolv's Avatar

Best first round draft pick in a long while. LOL.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dissolv View Post
    Best first round draft pick in a long while. LOL.
    Yeah I'd disregard that TJ Watt pick altogether! Lol

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Well, Omar Khan is showing he's not KC. A Minkah extension would not have happened until during or after camp, and likely after Jessie Bates and Derwin James get new contracts.

Minkah to me is the premier safety in football, and that's not being bias, so I'm happy this got done.

Senior Member Array title="Orion has a reputation beyond repute"> Orion's Avatar

he should have demanded more since he had to do his job and the MLB's job.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Well, Omar Khan is showing he's not KC. A Minkah extension would not have happened until during or after camp, and likely after Jessie Bates and Derwin James get new contracts.

Minkah to me is the premier safety in football, and that's not being bias, so I'm happy this got done.
    The waiting to hand out contract thing always bothers me. They roughly know what the market is and the longer you wait, the more you are going to pay in most cases and for a premier athlete.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Yeah I'd disregard that TJ Watt pick altogether! Lol
    You got there before I could… we now have the highest paid LB and the highest paid safety. Hmmm there seems to be some investing in the defense.

Senior Member Array title="T&B fan has much to be proud of"> T&B fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    You got there before I could… we now have the highest paid LB and the highest paid safety. Hmmm there seems to be some investing in the defense.
    well if we don't have top ( O ) we better have the top ( D ) to make up for it .
    we must never forget tell everyone you know New England cheated and might be back at it Edit 1-21-15 there back Edit #2__12-8-19 here we go again Edit #3__ 5-25-23 it never ends

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post

I don't know why I did not make that connection in my head yesterday, as I think I had forgotten that Omar Khan is now the GM. I said to myself "Wow, they got this Minkah contract done early and well before training camp, which is unusual for the Steelers". I should have realized Khan is now GM and likely wanted to get this done sooner rather than later.

I'll also be curious to see if they start working on a new contract for Diontae Johnson now. I guess this will depend on how willing DJ and his team are to actually negotiate a reasonable contract. If DJ and his agent start demanding well above $20M a season then I would imagine the Steelers will just walk away from the negotiating table.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    That's usually how these things work, and Khan never saw a backloaded contract or a restructure he didn't like, so it all adds up.

The plan is for this to be the contract that we perennially restructure or extend to free up cap space for the next several years. There will always be some crazy theoretical $35 million cap hit looming in the last year. This usually works all right, as long as there's no drastic change in the player's ability or attitude and it stays theoretical. If not - ouch. Hopefully nothing to worry about in this case.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

They’ll always have the banks of Watt and Fitzpatrick to go to if they need cap space…the bank of Ben closed.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

khan is sick with it when it comes to cap moves

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Neither Colin Cowherd nor Mark Madden liked the signing… which is evidence enough that it is an OUTSTANDING signing.

Don’t bother searching for (falling for) their clickbait.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Neither Colin Cowherd nor Mark Madden liked the signing… which is evidence enough that it is an OUTSTANDING signing.

Don’t bother searching for (falling for) their clickbait.
    I saw a summary of Cowherd’s nonsense. Just total clickbait. Or too lazy to count the CBA mandated rookie deals involved.

We are all dumber for these kinds of folks being paid to provide their “insight”.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I saw a summary of Cowherd’s nonsense. Just total clickbait. Or too lazy to count the CBA mandated rookie deals involved.

We are all dumber for these kinds of folks being paid to provide their “insight”.
    It can essentially be boiled down to this:

COWHERD: How many TD passes did Minkah throw?

EVERYONE: Uh… none.

COWHERD: Yahtzee!!!

Did either of those nudnicks offer a better contract or idea?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Did either of those nudnicks offer a better contract or idea?
    From the summary I saw, Cowherd was like stop offering big $$$ to the entire defense (Steelers are like top some high # in cap dollars on defense) and being last in cap dollars on offense.

Neglected to mention that the entire top 15 guys or something on offense are either on rookie deals or discounted FA contracts.

I don't even bother to look at anything with Madden's name associated with it.

Quote Originally Posted by dislocatedday View Post
    I'll also be curious to see if they start working on a new contract for Diontae Johnson now. I guess this will depend on how willing DJ and his team are to actually negotiate a reasonable contract. If DJ and his agent start demanding well above $20M a season then I would imagine the Steelers will just walk away from the negotiating table.
    Could be doing Boswell first…