Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suh?

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Suh?

With Tuitt retiring and also freeing up some money, would you consider bringing in Suh?

It's a yes for me.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Re: Suh?

I wanted him a decade ago , now he is not the same player , that said he can still turn it on in spurts , BUT.........

Tuitt was a 3-4 end , Suh is more of a Nose so he is not ideally a replacement for Tuitt he would be a replacement for AluAlu who is returning so unless we are replacing AluAlu or going to play base almost continually (fat chance on that one) having both guys on the roster is redundant as we need youth for the future too and we cant ( or shouldn't ) cut young guys for another aging vet that is the old ( pun not intended ) raiders formula ...
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

For the right price, absolutely. He is more of a DT than a DE, but in a 3-4 I think you can make that work - any large guy who can cause disruption is an asset. Plus, I have zero faith that Alualu will hold up for the entire season. I love the guy, but the odds just don't favor it.

Having said all that, Suh's salary was $9 million last year, and it sounds like he wants that much or more. I would not call that the right price.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

It's an immediate upgrade to the DL room, i could dig it

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

If at the very least he can provide depth and give some of the guys a breather I'd pay him. I think he's capable of playing DE in the 3-4. Imo, he's more suited as a DE than NT. I mean it works in Madden so...

- - - Updated - - -

Having a Nickel or Dime package with Heyward and Suh in the middle and Watt and Highsmith off the edge is fun to think about.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

I had him on my list in the Tuitt retirement thread. For a one year deal, why not. I wanted Akiem Hicks but Tampa signed him. I'd also take Sheldon Richardson or Larry Ojunjobi. And like I said in the Tuitt thread I'd also use the money on JC Tretter instead.

But if you sign Suh and he's okay with rotating in to spell guys that would be great since Alualu and him are the same age.

It is funny you started this thread because others in Steeler nation are talking about it:

https://www.steelernation.com/steelers-should-call-suh/

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Would do it in a second.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I wanted him a decade ago , now he is not the same player , that said he can still turn it on in spurts , BUT.........

Tuitt was a 3-4 end , Suh is more of a Nose so he is not ideally a replacement for Tuitt he would be a replacement for AluAlu who is returning so unless we are replacing AluAlu or going to play base almost continually (fat chance on that one) having both guys on the roster is redundant as we need youth for the future too and we cant ( or shouldn't ) cut young guys for another aging vet that is the old ( pun not intended ) raiders formula ...
    Suh is a waste of a roster spot for a team in the Steelers position for all the reasons you stated.

Sign a younger player or three and see if you can find the next unknown gem.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Suh is a waste of a roster spot for a team in the Steelers position for all the reasons you stated.

Sign a younger player or three and see if you can find the next unknown gem.
    If you can get Suh on a 2 year team option I don't see how he's a waste of a roster spot. Suh is not a NT and Suh would never come to Pittsburgh to play the nose.

Also, Suh played DE in the 3-4 for Tampa, so the talk that he can't play in the 3-4 is irrelevant.

https://www.buccaneers.com/news/ndam...st-run-defense

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RunNGun View Post
    If you can get Suh on a 2 year team option I don't see how he's a waste of a roster spot. Suh is not a NT and Suh would never come to Pittsburgh to play the nose.

Also, Suh played DE in the 3-4 for Tampa, so the talk that he can't play in the 3-4 is irrelevant.

https://www.buccaneers.com/news/ndam...st-run-defense
    Because the entire time your playing Suh you’re not able to play and develop another player.

The Steelers aren’t in a position to employ vet role players. They need to take swings on younger and unproven players in the hopes that they hit on a few to accelerate the rebuild.

Because the entire time your playing Suh you’re not able to play and develop another player.

The Steelers aren’t in a position to employ vet role players. They need to take swings on younger and unproven players in the hopes that they hit on a few to accelerate the rebuild.
    Veteran leadership can go along way in helping rookies to develop, but i do see what you're saying.

I believe Suh played for 9 mil last season. If they can get him on a 2 year 12-14 million dollar deal I think he's worth the money.

It doesn't make much sense to me to stop going after guys that can help you win just because you have a new QB. Did any one really think we had a shot at winning the super bowl the past couple seasons? I definitely didn't, but that didn't stop the front office from bringing in players to better the roster.

Most would agree that on paper this is a better roster than last season, so to say we're any less likely than we were last season to make a run is a bit silly. If you have the space and Suh upgrades the team then it's a no brainer for me.

Also, if Suh did sign then Wormley would likely be cut freeing up more reps for Loudermilk and Leal, unless they have no confidence in Loudermilk.

Veteran leadership can go along way in helping rookies to develop, but i do see what you're saying.

I believe Suh played for 9 mil last season. If they can get him on a 2 year 12-14 million dollar deal I think he's worth the money.

It doesn't make much sense to me to stop going after guys that can help you win just because you have a new QB. Did any one really think we had a shot at winning the super bowl the past couple seasons? I definitely didn't, but that didn't stop the front office from bringing in players to better the roster.

Most would agree that on paper this is a better roster than last season, so to say we're any less likely than we were last season to make a run is a bit silly. If you have the space and Suh upgrades the team then it's a no brainer for me.

Also, if Suh did sign then Wormley would likely be cut freeing up more reps for Loudermilk and Leal, unless they have no confidence in Loudermilk.
    Sound reasons and hard to disagree with.

But look at the Maulet and Norwood scenario last season. Maulet was intended to be the capable and steady vet presence. But Norwood made more plays and pushed him off the field.

I think the current and future roster is better served with 2 Norwood type younger players than more Maulet type vets.

Same with Leglue and Haeg.

Playoff ready teams need guys like Haeg, Maulet, and Suh. When you’re staring up at half your division you need Norwood’s.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

I don't think we will sign a veteran DL anytime soon, we'll see what we have already on our roster first.

Senior Member Array title="Orion has a reputation beyond repute"> Orion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    I don't think we will sign a veteran DL anytime soon, we'll see what we have already on our roster first.
    i think your right. Lmilk has put on over 25lbs since the combine. he is officially the body type the steelers desire for their DE's. i think were good at DE. im not confident with whats behind tyson. if they are gonna pick a Dlinemen i would like to see eddie goldman. he is 2 years removed from a good season so his stock may be down. if he could be had for less than 5 million or even get him on a multi year deal to replace tyson i'd like to see it happen.
    i also agree with the poster who said pick up tretter.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Suh?

You’re signing scraps off the free agent market. The likelihood of finding the next “gem” is so far out there that basically you are spinning wheels. With Suh, Heyward and Alualu, you not only are strengthening the D-Line but you are also improving the Backs and Backers. Suh and Heyward as the down men? You wouldn’t take that?

What names are you developing instead of playing a talented player? Why bother playing Alualu or Heyward if they could just use those spots to develop a player. Maybe they should cut those two players snap counts by 25-50% to develop the next gem?

Probably shouldn’t play Johnson so the Rookie WRs have time to develop?

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I'm sure there is some reason why Suh keeps finding new teams to play for. If he were as valuable to this team as some seem to think he would probably have been signed once the FO knew of Tuitt's intentions. I think there is another element we as fans don't know about. OR, maybe he is a bad match with this defense. OR, he believes he is worth more than teams are willing to pay him.

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    You’re signing scraps off the free agent market. The likelihood of finding the next “gem” is so far out there that basically you are spinning wheels. With Suh, Heyward and Alualu, you not only are strengthening the D-Line but you are also improving the Backs and Backers. Suh and Heyward as the down men? You wouldn’t take that?

What names are you developing instead of playing a talented player? Why bother playing Alualu or Heyward if they could just use those spots to develop a player. Maybe they should cut those two players snap counts by 25-50% to develop the next gem?

Probably shouldn’t play Johnson so the Rookie WRs have time to develop?
    Suh helps the 2022 defense be somewhat better. Not sure where he plays...NT? DE? He doesn't really fit either to a T. Regardless, he does not help the 2023 and beyond Steelers. THAT is the rosters that Khan and Company should be looking to stock with a Tuitt replacement.

I find it hard to believe there is not another version of Montravious Adams hanging out around the NFL right now or between now and the regular season. Sign that guy.

Suh?

That’s the thing is he does fit. He fits perfectly for what the Steelers run. 2-5, 4-3, not so much 3-4 but this team runs so many different fronts to the point that Suh fits right in. It helps Heyward immensely and that’s only a plus. The only downside is the cost. He said he wants more that $9M to leave his family in Tampa. Not a terrible price to pay for him. Also can be manipulated with voidable years if the concern is re-signing Minkah and Diontae this off season and pending the deal, maybe it does help 2023 as well.

Let’s be honest, without a stellar defense, this team most likely goes nowhere in 2022 or 2023. Suh only makes an above average to good defense better. He could be a difference maker and that should show instantly in the run defense.

If it where that easy to find another Adams, they’d have done it already and done it with the o-line…

That’s the thing is he does fit. He fits perfectly for what the Steelers run. 2-5, 4-3, not so much 3-4 but this team runs so many different fronts to the point that Suh fits right in. It helps Heyward immensely and that’s only a plus. The only downside is the cost. He said he wants more that $9M to leave his family in Tampa. Not a terrible price to pay for him. Also can be manipulated with voidable years if the concern is re-signing Minkah and Diontae this off season and pending the deal, maybe it does help 2023 as well.

Let’s be honest, without a stellar defense, this team most likely goes nowhere in 2022 or 2023. Suh only makes an above average to good defense better. He could be a difference maker and that should show instantly in the run defense.

If it where that easy to find another Adams, they’d have done it already and done it with the o-line…
    That's all possible but it doesn't get the team anywhere long-term. What's the point in a 1 game improvement in the 2022 season? A 2 game improvement? Best case, you lose in the Wildcard like previous.

I am in favor of keeping any capable or high performing veterans the team currently has. That is a good idea. But if they are bringing in outside players...why get older? Your "timeline" for competing and making a serious playoff run is at least a year from now. Build to that.

We have just been through several years of the team approaching each season as the "last rodeo" and signing the best vet FAs they could afford to fill specific roles and band-aid over roster holes. My point of view is that is no longer the best team-building strategy for this team. Look at the age of almost everyone not named Cam Heyward. Get guys that fit that pattern. And to do that, it will have to be someone fans have never heard of or that is a "rehab" project.

And didn't they just try to do exactly this with the o-line? Cole is 26 and Daniels is 24.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Mojouw, none of us are talking about locking him up for 5 years. A one year deal, plus his age allows you to play him and spell him with younger players as well. But like I keep saying I'd rather use the money on signing a true Center in JC Tretter and move Cole somewhere else on the line.

That's all possible but it doesn't get the team anywhere long-term. What's the point in a 1 game improvement in the 2022 season? A 2 game improvement? Best case, you lose in the Wildcard like previous.

I am in favor of keeping any capable or high performing veterans the team currently has. That is a good idea. But if they are bringing in outside players...why get older? Your "timeline" for competing and making a serious playoff run is at least a year from now. Build to that.

We have just been through several years of the team approaching each season as the "last rodeo" and signing the best vet FAs they could afford to fill specific roles and band-aid over roster holes. My point of view is that is no longer the best team-building strategy for this team. Look at the age of almost everyone not named Cam Heyward. Get guys that fit that pattern. And to do that, it will have to be someone fans have never heard of or that is a "rehab" project.

And didn't they just try to do exactly this with the o-line? Cole is 26 and Daniels is 24.
    It gets them further than just wasting roster spots and money on guys that may or may not be average.

You’re extending the life of the current DL. You’d rather spell Cam with some gamble or spell Cam with Suh or maybe just keep running Cam out there until his career is done?

But sure you can continue to gamble and come up empty and not go anywhere.

Quality is much, much better than quantity…in any aspect of life and it works here too. Suh for one or two seasons makes this team better going forward than gambling on 6 guys that wind up out of the league in two seasons or backing up someone on another team. The DL is a rotational position, you want to sign your next “Adams”? Go ahead. You can also sign Suh and guess what, if the “Adams” prospect is good enough, he will get his snaps. But to just to blindly throw three schleps in there in hopes that you find another star player…you’re playing Detroit Lions football…good luck.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Agreed with those who say it’s worth it on a reasonable 2 year deal. bringing in vet players to help you win games helps accelerate the rebuilding process - not the reverse. We’re full of young players. Adding a vet to replace a vet that could help win games will improve the play of the young guys on the team - defense and offense - it’s a snow ball effect - gives confidence and makes the Steelers look better to FA’s

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

The problem with the 'long-term' position is you enter into each season thinking about being the best for this season. Next season will be next season. But at the same time you are not wrong assessing Suh would cost more than you'd want to pay a probably 1yr rental, both in money and in finding a replacement for Tuitt. I can't say it's the worst idea, it just doesn't seem like a Steelers idea. IMO.

- - - Updated - - -

It gets them further than just wasting roster spots and money on guys that may or may not be average.

You’re extending the life of the current DL. You’d rather spell Cam with some gamble or spell Cam with Suh or maybe just keep running Cam out there until his career is done?

But sure you can continue to gamble and come up empty and not go anywhere.

Quality is much, much better than quantity…in any aspect of life and it works here too. Suh for one or two seasons makes this team better going forward than gambling on 6 guys that wind up out of the league in two seasons or backing up someone on another team. The DL is a rotational position, you want to sign your next “Adams”? Go ahead. You can also sign Suh and guess what, if the “Adams” prospect is good enough, he will get his snaps. But to just to blindly throw three schleps in there in hopes that you find another star player…you’re playing Detroit Lions football…good luck.
    I think you make valid points. Does this seem like a move the Steelers make in FA? It has not been the system under Colbert but maybe KAHN! does things more like this? I can see logic in not bringing Suh in, I can also see the logic in renting him for a year also. I think it will cost too much though.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    The problem with the 'long-term' position is you enter into each season thinking about being the best for this season. Next season will be next season. But at the same time you are not wrong assessing Suh would cost more than you'd want to pay a probably 1yr rental, both in money and in finding a replacement for Tuitt. I can't say it's the worst idea, it just doesn't seem like a Steelers idea. IMO.

- - - Updated - - -

I think you make valid points. Does this seem like a move the Steelers make in FA? It has not been the system under Colbert but maybe KAHN! does things more like this? I can see logic in not bringing Suh in, I can also see the logic in renting him for a year also. I think it will cost too much though.
    It definitely does not sound like a Steelers move. However, they traded a first round pick for Minkah (not a normal Steelers move). So could be possible. If I was betting, I would say they would NOT sign him…

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

For all the people saying signing a veteran for 1-2 years is the wrong move because we should be giving young guys a chance - the young guys are going to get plenty of snaps anyway. I still think we'd be helped by having more starting-caliber defensive linemen.

Let me ask you - when is the last time you can remember that all three starting defensive linemen made it through the whole season without missing significant time? It doesn't happen often, because it is a position where you get FUCKED UP.

So rather than looking at it as a situation where we have two solid starters for three spots and the young guys can use the reps (not a great position to be in regardless) ... It's more like we can expect to have one guy or maybe one and a half guys for those three spots as-is. And while some of the guys on the roster have "promise" - with the possible exception of the rookie, I think that's more the type of promise of being acceptable players. If Loudermilk or Adams was going to be a big impact player, we would've seen something more to indicate that. It's still good to have players like that on the team, but they're fine still doing what they're doing, we're not missing some huge opportunity.

There is the temptation to say you have to bite the bullet and be shitty for a while in order to succeed later, but clearly this team is still trying to play winning football, so any move that helps that is a good one.

I still think Suh is going to cost too much money, though.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

True that was not a typical Steelers' move for Minkah. But Minkah only cost roughly $2M/year and was 22/23 years old.

Although a deal may get done with Suh it just seems even less likely than waiting until final cuts and offering somebody they were interested in drafting. I think some combo of Heyward/Loudermilk, Alualu/Adams, and Wormley/Leal will be the DL rotation this year.

I thought maybe they would move on from Wormley if Tuitt came back. Thus why I could get on board with signing Suh. I just wouldn't wager that deal gets made.

Suh played 3-4 DE for the Buccs the past 2 seasons. The past 2 seasons the Buccs also posted the best run defense in the league. Suh was a big factor in that.

Steelers were dead last in rushing yards allowed last season and dead last in YPC allowed to RBs. Bringing in Suh would go along way in helping the league's worst run defense, IMO.

They have carried 6 defensive lineman for as long as I can remember.

Figure that Heyward, Alualu, Loudermilk, and Leal are 4 locked in roster spots. Wormley and Adams would appear to have the inside track for the remaining two. Obviously none of those 6 would make it on to a practice squad.

So...I guess you can cut Wormley if you want to sign Suh?

Suh played 717 snaps (63 %) in 2021. Tuitt played 778 in 2020 (76%).

Suh's 2021 for Tampa Bay is close to the number of snaps and percent of plays that Wormley played in 2021 for the Steelers -- so that matches up. Wormley had one more sack and about 2 dozen more tackles.

So the question would kind of boil down to whether or not Wormley's overall athleticism, ability to chase down plays, comparative youth, and $6 million less cost is outweighed by Suh's stouter presence and superior ability to hold the point of attack.

Not to mention that Suh should really only be playing about 50-60% of the overall defensive snaps to keep his big ol' butt healthy and rested. So...you would still need a DE to soak up a healthy % of snaps....but you cut the best candidate for that in Wormley.

It all doesn't matter because Suh would have to want to play here. Why? Suh is clearly ring chasing...that's not happening this season in Pittsburgh.
    According to the latest projections on how much "usable" cap space the team has, Suh would also have to want to play for about 50% of his 2021 cap #. Why would he do that?

Also, everyone tells me that Suh can play 3-4 DE....but can he? I don't see him motoring out to the sidelines to chase RBs and such....
    It all gets rather circular rather quickly.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Suh played 3-4 DE for the Buccs the past 2 seasons. The past 2 seasons the Buccs also posted the best run defense in the league. Suh was a big factor in that.

Steelers were dead last in rushing yards allowed last season and dead last in YPC allowed to RBs. Bringing in Suh would go along way in helping the league's worst run defense, IMO.
    We need to improve our run defense - Tuitt was supposed to help with that. Don't want to see our new QB's in a shootout and running for their lives every week because we can't stop anyone

Understand that Suh wants more than 9 million - time for Khan to perform some math magic

They have carried 6 defensive lineman for as long as I can remember.

Figure that Heyward, Alualu, Loudermilk, and Leal are 4 locked in roster spots. Wormley and Adams would appear to have the inside track for the remaining two. Obviously none of those 6 would make it on to a practice squad.

So...I guess you can cut Wormley if you want to sign Suh?

Suh played 717 snaps (63 %) in 2021. Tuitt played 778 in 2020 (76%).

Suh's 2021 for Tampa Bay is close to the number of snaps and percent of plays that Wormley played in 2021 for the Steelers -- so that matches up. Wormley had one more sack and about 2 dozen more tackles.

So the question would kind of boil down to whether or not Wormley's overall athleticism, ability to chase down plays, comparative youth, and $6 million less cost is outweighed by Suh's stouter presence and superior ability to hold the point of attack.

Not to mention that Suh should really only be playing about 50-60% of the overall defensive snaps to keep his big ol' butt healthy and rested. So...you would still need a DE to soak up a healthy % of snaps....but you cut the best candidate for that in Wormley.

It all doesn't matter because Suh would have to want to play here. Why? Suh is clearly ring chasing...that's not happening this season in Pittsburgh.
    According to the latest projections on how much "usable" cap space the team has, Suh would also have to want to play for about 50% of his 2021 cap #. Why would he do that?

Also, everyone tells me that Suh can play 3-4 DE....but can he? I don't see him motoring out to the sidelines to chase RBs and such....
    It all gets rather circular rather quickly.
    I think you would let go of Wormley and hope that Loudermilk has developed enough to take Wormley's snaps with a sprinkle of Leal.

Imo, we don't need Suh to get after the QB, we need him at the point of attack, like you mentioned...freeing up Bush's little ass so he doesn't get swallowed like all of last season. If Suh comes off the field in passing situations then so be it. The run defense has to get better.

But if Suh doesn't want to play here and is in fact chasing rings then I wouldn't want to overpay him to change his mind.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    We need to improve our run defense - Tuitt was supposed to help with that. Don't want to see our new QB's in a shootout and running for their lives every week because we can't stop anyone

Understand that Suh wants more than 9 million - time for Khan to perform some math magic
    Agreed. If they don't go after Suh I think they need to try and bring in someone else with Tuitt's $ to help the run defense. Not sure who else is out there, but I'd consider trading Claypool. DJ would also be a good candidate due to his contract.