Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suh?

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Re: Suh?

Quote Originally Posted by RunNGun View Post
    Agreed. If they don't go after Suh I think they need to try and bring in someone else with Tuitt's $ to help the run defense. Not sure who else is out there, but I'd consider trading Claypool. DJ would also be a good candidate due to his contract.
    Right now I don't think it's a good idea to trade either of our most experienced receivers when we're 99% chance starting a new QB this year (i guess there's always a chance that mason comes out throwing 5 TD's a game in the preseason and wins the job, but most likely not )

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Right now I don't think it's a good idea to trade either of our most experienced receivers when we're 99% chance starting a new QB this year (i guess there's always a chance that mason comes out throwing 5 TD's a game in the preseason and wins the job, but most likely not )
    You're probably right, but I think it's highly unlikely they keep DJ and Claypool when the time comes. I would be listening to offers. DJ would make sense financially, but he's also hands down our best WR. I would rather see Claypool be the one traded to beef up the defense. Imo, we could afford to lose one or the other.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    They have carried 6 defensive lineman for as long as I can remember.

Figure that Heyward, Alualu, Loudermilk, and Leal are 4 locked in roster spots. Wormley and Adams would appear to have the inside track for the remaining two. Obviously none of those 6 would make it on to a practice squad.

So...I guess you can cut Wormley if you want to sign Suh?

Suh played 717 snaps (63 %) in 2021. Tuitt played 778 in 2020 (76%).

Suh's 2021 for Tampa Bay is close to the number of snaps and percent of plays that Wormley played in 2021 for the Steelers -- so that matches up. Wormley had one more sack and about 2 dozen more tackles.

So the question would kind of boil down to whether or not Wormley's overall athleticism, ability to chase down plays, comparative youth, and $6 million less cost is outweighed by Suh's stouter presence and superior ability to hold the point of attack.

Not to mention that Suh should really only be playing about 50-60% of the overall defensive snaps to keep his big ol' butt healthy and rested. So...you would still need a DE to soak up a healthy % of snaps....but you cut the best candidate for that in Wormley.

It all doesn't matter because Suh would have to want to play here. Why? Suh is clearly ring chasing...that's not happening this season in Pittsburgh.
    According to the latest projections on how much "usable" cap space the team has, Suh would also have to want to play for about 50% of his 2021 cap #. Why would he do that?

Also, everyone tells me that Suh can play 3-4 DE....but can he? I don't see him motoring out to the sidelines to chase RBs and such....
    It all gets rather circular rather quickly.
    Suh is signed to help the run defense which was a major problem last season. Look at Tampa’s statistics before Suh and after Suh. If what I read is correct, he’s a HUGE difference maker in the run game. Suh also hasn’t missed games so he’s also been very dependable from year to year.

I think there’s a very slim chance they sign him. Very, very slim actually but it would be a great choice if they did. I think he winds up in Las Vegas or Cleveland.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Suh is signed to help the run defense which was a major problem last season. Look at Tampa’s statistics before Suh and after Suh. If what I read is correct, he’s a HUGE difference maker in the run game. Suh also hasn’t missed games so he’s also been very dependable from year to year.

I think there’s a very slim chance they sign him. Very, very slim actually but it would be a great choice if they did. I think he winds up in Las Vegas or Cleveland.
    You’re not wrong at all. You and others have raised excellent reasons for making this signing.

I also agree that it’s unlikely to happen regardless.

If it does, I’d support it. It’s not gonna really do anything negative. I just don’t agree with the philosophy of it. And that’s just a roster construction argument that likely sounds better on podcasts and over beers than it does in reality.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Suh sounds better than giving up 250 yards on the ground.

Senior Member Array title="Orion has a reputation beyond repute"> Orion's Avatar

'Little Cam' Isaiahh Loudermilk is beefed up and ready to make a difference on Steelers' line

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/202206080017

“He’s actually got that grown-man weight on,” defensive coordinator Teryl Austin said.

“Loudermilk looks great,” defensive line coach Karl Dunbar said. “His chest is a little more puffier, he’s bouncing around. He has more confidence because he’s in the same defense.”

Loudermilk has showed up at minicamp weighing 310 pounds, 35 more than when he reported last season and 20 pounds more than the start of the 2021 regular season. He spent the offseason doing heavy lifting to add weight to be able to play the position required of a 3-4 defensive end.

“When I came in I was light; you can’t play defensive tackle at a weight like that,” said Loudermilk, who finished the season weighing 300 pounds. “So this offseason for me was really about putting on some weight in a good way, trying to put on muscle instead of fat.”

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Agreed. If they don't go after Suh I think they need to try and bring in someone else with Tuitt's $ to help the run defense. Not sure who else is out there, but I'd consider trading Claypool. DJ would also be a good candidate due to his contract.
    No way I would even ponder trading Claypool who showed he can be dominant as a rookie and still has 2 years left on his rookie deal ( C-H-E-A-P contracts that produce are the name of the game for team building ) DJ , well the pot would have to be a good player + a draft pick ... being in his final year if they have no plans of signing him sure why not , that said if they do have plans at resigning him then forget about it .........
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

No way I would even ponder trading Claypool who showed he can be dominant as a rookie and still has 2 years left on his rookie deal ( C-H-E-A-P contracts that produce are the name of the game for team building ) DJ , well the pot would have to be a good player + a draft pick ... being in his final year if they have no plans of signing him sure why not , that said if they do have plans at resigning him then forget about it .........
    I'm not sold on Claypool just yet. This is his year to prove himself. He should be more productive with a QB who is actually looking to throw the ball downfield.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I'm not sold on Claypool just yet. This is his year to prove himself. He should be more productive with a QB who is actually looking to throw the ball downfield.
    He’s also acknowledged that he has an issue with contested balls and falling down before, during and after the catch.

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I feel like after reading through this thread again, that most are in agreement in that physically it would be a good signing. However, at the cost and age of the player, it doesn't seem like a Steelers signing.