Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stephon Tuitt Retires

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Stephon Tuitt Retires

I can't say I'm surprised, I wasn't expecting him to come back

Senior Member Array title="Bluecoat96 has a reputation beyond repute"> Bluecoat96's Avatar

Re: Stephon Tuitt Retires

I wanted to see him come back for purely selfish reasons on my part. He is making the best decision possible for him and his family. May God bless him on his new journey.

Now....how much cap space do we reclaim? Lol

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk
    http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1850/7714131/15251346/321617073.jpg

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

I am disappointed in reading this as he seemingly led us on at least by what we seen reported ( in town working out in house , conversation about returning etc all prior to the draft )
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Stephon Tuitt Retires

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    I am disappointed in reading this as he seemingly led us on at least by what we seen reported ( in town working out in house , conversation about returning etc all prior to the draft )
    Only Tuitt and the team knows how it really played out. Tuitt may have told them he wanted to retire and they May have said just come back for OTA’s and see how you feel. Tomlin seems like the type of guy who’s not gonna not put up a fight to keep a player that he thinks he’s still talented.

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

I'm glad he reached a decision that was best for him. Best of luck to Tuitt.

Senior Member Array title="that1guy is a splendid one to behold">

Good Luck to him. This leave a big hole in that D-line

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

This. He could have done this before free agency/draft.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Good for him. It's only a game.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    Good for him. It's only a game.
    Exactly.

If I had issues in my life going on and had the financial security of several millions of dollars already earned, I would tell my employer that I am gonna take care of my family and self first. Good luck to him.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I’m not sure how Tuitt led anyone on. He hasn’t made a public comment during this entire time period. Other people may have led people on, but not Tuitt.

- - - Updated - - -

Suh anyone?

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Take the money and sign Suh.

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    This. He could have done this before free agency/draft.
    How do you know he didn’t? Lol. The team may have told him to take more time…

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I’m not sure how Tuitt led anyone on. He hasn’t made a public comment during this entire time period. Other people may have led people on, but not Tuitt.

- - - Updated - - -

Suh anyone?
    only if he steps on deshaun watson's nuts. PAY THE MAN

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

June 1st saves 9 million in cap space for Pittsburgh.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Well, get used to it, we're going to have to replace the entire DL over the next couple seasons.

This is not a huge surprise given the types of injuries he had and the effect that already had on his career, the toll of all the family stuff aside.

The cap implications of the June 1 date didn't even occur to me, but in light of that, I am guessing this came as no great shock to the team either.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Orion has a reputation beyond repute"> Orion's Avatar

had he made this decision before the draft, would it had effected how they drafted ? or would it had effected free agency decisions ?

Senior Member Array title="Orion has a reputation beyond repute"> Orion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bluecoat96 View Post
    I wanted to see him come back for purely selfish reasons on my part. He is making the best decision possible for him and his family. May God bless him on his new journey.

Now....how much cap space do we reclaim? Lol

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk
    Stephon Tuitt Retirement Gives Steelers $9M in Salary Cap Space

The Pittsburgh Steelers freed up just over $9 million in salary cap space with the retirement of defensive lineman Stephon Tuitt from the NFL on Wednesday.

Tuitt was due $9,048,560 in 2022 salary, that will no longer be paid and will no longer count against the team’s salary cap in the future. The Steelers will not occur any additional dead cap hit in the future from Tuitt’s retirement, but they will have dead money charges of $4.926 million in 2022 and $4.755 million in 2023.
    Those charges stem from the prorated portion of the signing bonus that Tuitt received when the signed the five-year, $60 million contract with the Steelers in 2017. He restructured the contract with the team in 2021, creating additional deferred signing bonus charges.
    The timing of Tuitt’s retirement on June 1 helped the Steelers. If he had retired before June 1, the team would have had all $9.6 million of his dead cap charges count against the 2022 salary cap.
    The Steelers could seek to recoup some of Tuitt’s signing bonus with him not playing out the final season of the contract, but have traditionally chosen not to pursue that path. His contract was set to automatically void after the 2022 season.

Senior Member Array title="ETL has a reputation beyond repute"> ETL's Avatar

Thanks Tuitt for announcing this now and not trying to figure things out and coming to the same decision later

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

They likely knew.

First pick was a QB no matter Tuitt’s decision.
    Second pick was a weapon for the new QB. Again, likely totally unaffected by Tuitt’s decision.
    Next pick was a DL with pass rushing juice according to the team.

The first pick they could deal with the “Tuitt Situation” - they did.

The rest? Likely window dressing to do the June 1 cap thing.

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    June 1st saves 9 million in cap space for Pittsburgh.
    So to answer any questions, the team knew…lol

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

I'm happy for Tuitt. He made the decision that was best for him and his family.

He always gave everything he had on the field, and has been a great player here.

Everyone has to find their own path. I wish him and his family well, and hope he enjoys the rest of his life. He earned it.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Well sucks for sure, but if his heart wasn’t going to be in it, it was for the best.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Surprised, Cam was apparently expecting him back

they've got to use that money to replace him; Trey Flowers?

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

It seemed as though Cam was expecting him back. That said, drafting Leal on Day 2 sort of said otherwise.

As far as replacing him goes, Akiem Hicks signed (with the Bucs) just yesterday.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    Surprised, Cam was apparently expecting him back

they've got to use that money to replace him; Trey Flowers?
    Trey Flowers is an OLB.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

The next generation is already here with Loudermilk, Leal, and Carlos Davis. Most likely all 3 won't be Cam-level, but it's a start and a place to build from. I hate Tuitt retired, I was hoping for a comeback. New year, new faces.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Trey Flowers is an OLB.
    NFL.com has him listed as a DE but I agree he's more of a LB and definitely not an inside defensive lineman like Tuitt was.

Free agents that could replace him and I would be willing to sign:

PLAYER/AGE
    Akiem Hicks (32)
    Sheldon Richardson (31)
    Ndamukong Suh (35)
    Larry Ojunjobi (28)

I wouldn't mind spending the money on center JC Tretter instead.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    NFL.com has him listed as a DE but I agree he's more of a LB and definitely not an inside defensive lineman like Tuitt was.

Free agents that could replace him and I would be willing to sign:

PLAYER/AGE
    Akiem Hicks (32)
    Sheldon Richardson (31)
    Ndamukong Suh (35)
    Larry Ojunjobi (28)

I wouldn't mind spending the money on center JC Tretter instead.
    Akiem Hicks signed w/Tampa

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    The next generation is already here with Loudermilk, Leal, and Carlos Davis. Most likely all 3 won't be Cam-level, but it's a start and a place to build from. I hate Tuitt retired, I was hoping for a comeback. New year, new faces.
    I actually thought that Khalil Davis was the better of the 2 brothers as an interior lineman. But with both Carlos and Khalil Davis seemingly behind Montravious Adams on the depth chart, I dont really know if either will stick in the NFL much longer.

This is year 3 for them both and time to make a 53 man roster or be practice squadders until they get on with their life's work.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Cap space or not, over 30 vet FAs don’t fit with this team’s timeline. Plus those guys likely won’t want to come to camp.

Need to find someone 23-28 that needed a change of scheme or opportunity to flourish.