Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Top 15 Steelers All-Time

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Top 15 Steelers All-Time

This is from NFL.com (Gil Brandt)

https://www.nfl.com/news/top-15-pitt...lisberger-rank

Do you have any problem with this list?

15. Swann
    14. Stallworth
    13. Dawson
    12. Jack Butler
    11. Ham
    10. Franco
    9. Bradshaw
    8. Bettis
    7. Lambert
    6. Troy
    5. Blount
    4. Faneca
    3. Woodson
    2. Ben
    1. Mean Joe

I have a problem with leaving Webster off. I'd switch Troy and Faneca.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Re: Top 15 Steelers All-Time

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post

15. Swann
    14. Stallworth
    13. Dawson
    12. Jack Butler
    11. Ham
    10. Franco
    9. Bradshaw
    8. Bettis
    7. Lambert
    6. Troy
    5. Blount
    4. Faneca
    3. Woodson
    2. Ben
    1. Mean Joe

Meh, its one guys opinion (Gil Brandt)

Could argue a lot of things like that Webster better than Dawson in respective era's, Franco > Bettis, Troy, Lambert, Franco should be ranked higher than Faneca, AB better than Swann, etc.

I always see Mean Joe Greene, Jack Lambert, Polamalu, Blount, Rod Woodson as guys that were all-pro at their position and guys that somewhat defined the teams that they were on. Roethlisberger carried the torch after Troy and that collection of Ward, Harrison, Hampton, Aaron Smith got older. Still a lot of great Steelers on the list and while many always ranked Bradshaw as the leader of those dynasty teams, Ben was definately the better QB over their respective careers. But I still would rank 4 or 5 guys higher than him.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Top 15 Steelers All-Time

Depends on what you are basing it on. Example: Hines Ward could easily be ranked as a Top-15 Steelers player of All-Time. I mean the guy basically is what you want a Steelers player to be. Not the biggest though, not the strongest though, not the fastest though, not the most talented though, but he’s got that it factor about him that if you were building an all time Steelers team, you’d probably want him on it.

Donnie Shell?

Mike Webster?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Bradshaw should be ranked over Ben

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Faneca being the #4 best player on the team of all time is a tough sell, and him being higher than Polamalu is a joke. To me, Bradshaw belongs in the top 5, Polamalu has to be top 3, and Faneca is more like 10-15. Best at his position, yes, but even the best offensive guard in history cannot impact his team as much as a HOF quarterback. And the three defensive guys ranked right below Faneca literally changed the way the game of football was played.

I feel like Hines Ward belongs on this list because besides being a great player, he was pretty much the embodiment of the 2000-10 Steelers on offense, but who do you leave off. You could make the same argument for James Harrison, Aaron Smith, or even Cam Heyward for their eras, but I guess when you win two or zero championships respectively, the similar guys who won four take priority.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Hines Ward in top 10, but didn't even make your list? Bradshaw 4 SB rings.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

15. Swann
    14. Stallworth
    13. Dawson
    12. Jack Butler
    11. Ham
    10. Franco
    9. Bradshaw
    8. Bettis
    7. Lambert
    6. Troy
    5. Blount
    4. Faneca
    3. Woodson
    2. Ben
    1. Mean Joe

My list:

1. Joe Greene
    2. Bradshaw (how you can have a guy that QB'd 4 wins ranked #9 is silly). Remember the era he played in, without the protection and almost no PI the first two wins.
    3. Ben
    4. Lambert
    5. Webster
    6. Franco
    7. Troy (he changed games)
    8. Stallworth
    9. Bettis
    10. Woodson
    11. Ham
    12. Blount
    13. A. Brown (mental case but probably our best WR behind Stallworth)
    14. Hines Ward
    15. Swann
    16. Limas Sweed (just seeing if you're still reading)...

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Top 15 Steelers All-Time

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    My list:

1. Joe Greene
    2. Bradshaw (how you can have a guy that QB'd 4 wins ranked #9 is silly). Remember the era he played in, without the protection and almost no PI the first two wins.
    3. Ben
    4. Lambert
    5. Webster
    6. Franco
    7. Troy (he changed games)
    8. Stallworth
    9. Bettis
    10. Woodson
    11. Ham
    12. Blount
    13. A. Brown (mental case but probably our best WR behind Stallworth)
    14. Hines Ward
    15. Swann
    16. Limas Sweed (just seeing if you're still reading)...

Somehow Faneca and Dawson need to make the list. But who to take off is a tough question. I like this list better than the Brandt list.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Faneca being the #4 best player on the team of all time is a tough sell, and him being higher than Polamalu is a joke. To me, Bradshaw belongs in the top 5, Polamalu has to be top 3, and Faneca is more like 10-15. Best at his position, yes, but even the best offensive guard in history cannot impact his team as much as a HOF quarterback. And the three defensive guys ranked right below Faneca literally changed the way the game of football was played.

I feel like Hines Ward belongs on this list because besides being a great player, he was pretty much the embodiment of the 2000-10 Steelers on offense, but who do you leave off. You could make the same argument for James Harrison, Aaron Smith, or even Cam Heyward for their eras, but I guess when you win two or zero championships respectively, the similar guys who won four take priority.
    I agree. Polamalu should be above Faneca and Bradshaw should be #2 or #1. Joe Greene is great and all but without Bradshaw do they win 4 super bowls? I think no.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Gil Brandt is a Cowgirl. He's always going to have a bias against Bradshaw because his Golden Boy Staubach lost to Bradshaw twice in the Super Bowl and was owned by Bradshaw in the 70s even in regular season games.

Dobre Shunka should be higher.

#17 should be Weegie Thompson. period.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post

#17 should be Weegie Thompson. period.
    Hey, I like to say Weegie as much as the next guy, but he didnt have the Suddenness or Glide of Isaac Redman, nor the ability to make big plays like Jasom Worlidong. So maybe #19.

everyone keeps talking about how we missed out on dan marino, but it really was john kuhn, if we didnt cut him we'd be talking about super bowl #20 right now

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

I didn't witness the 70s and 80s so I'll do my list from the 90s til present.

1. Ben Roethlisberger
    2. Troy Polamalu
    3. Antonio Brown
    4. Rod Woodson
    5. Dirt Dawson
    6. T.J. Watt
    7. Jerome Bettis
    8. Alan Faneca
    9. Hines Ward
    10. James Harrison
    11. Casey Hampton
    12. Grey Lloyd
    13. Aaron Smith
    14. Le'veon Bell
    15. Ike Taylor

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RunNGun View Post
    I didn't witness the 70s and 80s so I'll do my list from the 90s til present.

1. Ben Roethlisberger
    2. Troy Polamalu
    3. Antonio Brown
    4. Rod Woodson
    5. Dirt Dawson
    6. T.J. Watt
    7. Jerome Bettis
    8. Alan Faneca
    9. Hines Ward
    10. James Harrison
    11. Casey Hampton
    12. Grey Lloyd
    13. Aaron Smith
    14. Le'veon Bell
    15. Ike Taylor
    No Cam Heyward? Is that just an oversight? I think Cam will be on the all-time list when he retires.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

CRASH’S TOP 15:

15. Diontae Johnson
    14. JuJu Smith-Schuster
    13. Plaxico Burress
    12. Andre Hastings
    11. Antwaan Randle-El
    10. Mike Wallace
    9. Nate Washington
    8. Yancey Thigpen
    7. Louis Lipps
    6. Santonio Holmes
    5. John Stallworth
    4. Lynn Swann
    3. AB
    2. Hines Ward
    1. Big Ben

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    CRASH’S TOP 15:

15. Diontae Johnson
    14. JuJu Smith-Schuster
    13. Plaxico Burress
    12. Andre Hastings
    11. Antwaan Randle-El
    10. Mike Wallace
    9. Nate Washington
    8. Yancey Thigpen
    7. Louis Lipps
    6. Santonio Holmes
    5. John Stallworth
    4. Lynn Swann
    3. AB
    2. Hines Ward
    1. Big Ben
    How the hell is supple thighs nate washington not #1?

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

No Cam Heyward? Is that just an oversight? I think Cam will be on the all-time list when he retires.
    I definitely missed him. Would probably put him at the #9 spot.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Terry over Big Ben; Bradshaw's got the better playoff record and 4 super bowls to Ben's two. Sorry, Ben's great but if i had to choose who i would rather go into the playoffs with it would be Bradshaw.

Wide Receiver's: Stallworth, Hines and Swann. AB is a great receiver but i'm not bumping any of those three guys off the list for a guy that acted like an a-hole and got himself booted out of Pittsburgh.

Mike Webster should be on the list as the best Steelers O Lineman....over Dawson and Faneca

I would make room for LC Greenwood in the top 15.

Lambert and Ham are automatic but would also try to make room for Greg Lloyd

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

I guess we have to read something in the off-season, but what an arbitrary number. Why not top 20 or 25 or for that matter, top 5 or 10. Let’s not forget our kickers. Anderson and Boz. How many game winning kicks has Boz made. Sorry just making fun of a writer picking 15 players from the last 70 years.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    I guess we have to read something in the off-season, but what an arbitrary number. Why not top 20 or 25 or for that matter, top 5 or 10. Let’s not forget our kickers. Anderson and Boz. How many game winning kicks has Boz made. Sorry just making fun of a writer picking 15 players from the last 70 years.
    I agree. I wanted to put Dawson and Faneca on my list but felt putting Webster on there covered that. They would definitely make my top 20 along with Boz. Boz by far has been our best kicker ever (barring that one year where he struggled). Gary Anderson was good, so was Matt Bahr but none of them could kick as hard, far or accurate as Boz.

I agree. I wanted to put Dawson and Faneca on my list but felt putting Webster on there covered that. They would definitely make my top 20 along with Boz. Boz by far has been our best kicker ever (barring that one year where he struggled). Gary Anderson was good, so was Matt Bahr but none of them could kick as hard, far or accurate as Boz.
    Kickers aren't football players.

You had to go there!?!

Tell that to the other 52 players when they are down by 2 points with 10 seconds to go on the 35 yard line and it's 4th down.

Tell that to the other 52 players when they are down by 2 points with 10 seconds to go on the 35 yard line and it's 4th down.
    They're important. And they are players. They just aren't football players.

Well technically they are more FOOT ball players than the other guys since they kick the ball with their FEET.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

With the successful and storied history of the Steelers, NO WAY does any kicker crack the top 15 all-time best Steelers list. They could be the best kicker in the history of all football and they won't crack the 15 all-time best Steelers list.

I could never narrow my list down. I think I would put about 35 guys on that top 15 list.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    With the successful and storied history of the Steelers, NO WAY does any kicker crack the top 15 all-time best Steelers list. They could be the best kicker in the history of all football and they won't crack the 15 all-time best Steelers list.

I could never narrow my list down. I think I would put about 35 guys on that top 15 list.
    B2S, I hope you don’t mind the abbreviation ….that was my point….I certainly can’t narrow down to 15 and even 25 is tough. I’m not really trying to be an ass…(well maybe a little), but why do we have to rate players. The defenses that played with Bradshaw were unquestionably the best. Does that make Bradshaw any less qualified. Noll sat his ass down in favor for Joe Gilliam, because…as Noll said, “Bradshaw keeps getting his jerseys mixed up”. So what is this reporter, making a top “15” ALL TIME pick. I don’t want to mention how long I’ve loved the Steelers, but I could never narrow my picks to 15.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    B2S, I hope you don’t mind the abbreviation ….that was my point….I certainly can’t narrow down to 15 and even 25 is tough. I’m not really trying to be an ass…(well maybe a little), but why do we have to rate players. The defenses that played with Bradshaw were unquestionably the best. Does that make Bradshaw any less qualified. Noll sat his ass down in favor for Joe Gilliam, because…as Noll said, “Bradshaw keeps getting his jerseys mixed up”. So what is this reporter, making a top “15” ALL TIME pick. I don’t want to mention how long I’ve loved the Steelers, but I could never narrow my picks to 15.
    Because it's the offseason and there's nothing to talk about lol.

Because it's the offseason and there's nothing to talk about lol.
    Plus DesertSteel is entering the time of year where if he goes outside for more than 15 minutes he will melt to the pavement.

But it's a "dry heat".

Plus DesertSteel is entering the time of year where if he goes outside for more than 15 minutes he will melt to the pavement.

But it's a "dry heat".
    Exactly!! lol