Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Muth!

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Muth!

Steelers have drafted a TE with talent and production. Meanwhile, the Browns keep paying for potential. Njoku is 5 years in and has averaged 30 catches and 350 yards a year and they pay him 5/$57M. Muth, on the other hand in his rookie year went for 60 catches, 497 yards and 7 TDs. I look for PF to blow up in year two.

Senior Member Array title="bendsteel is a splendid one to behold">

Re: Muth!

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Steelers have drafted a TE with talent and production. Meanwhile, the Browns keep paying for potential. Njoku is 5 years in and has averaged 30 catches and 350 yards a year and they pay him 5/$57M. Muth, on the other hand in his rookie year went for 60 catches, 497 yards and 7 TDs. I look for PF to blow up in year two.
    My only disagreement with your statement is that I think he may blow up THIS year! Remember, the only times that the Steelers have had a great TE(Heath, Greene) they opened up options for the kill shot. Speath, James...yawn.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

fryermouth is gonna be a baller

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

The wide receivers have to ball for PF to last and succeed. Otherwise he’s going to attract a lot of attention and get hurt.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

I think he has great potential but I am also very concerned about him getting concussioned out of the game.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    I think he has great potential but I am also very concerned about him getting concussioned out of the game.
    Came here to post this. I grew up in Philly watching Lindros play. One of the toughest SOB's I've ever seen play hockey with the head of a watermelon.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

During the season, there was a thread listing all of Muth’s positive attributes.

He’s gonna be really, really good.

He was already really good (best rookie stats since Gronk) with a QB whose spread only targeted the center of the field a dozen times (total… for the entire season). We just drafted a guy whose strength is the middle of the field.

Chocolate meet peanut butter.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

OK, but can he block?

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Bust. He has small pinky fingers.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    Came here to post this. I grew up in Philly watching Lindros play. One of the toughest SOB's I've ever seen play hockey with the head of a watermelon.
    His parents didn’t help any situation either.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    I honestly never thought of Eric Lindros as tough. He was bigger than most of his competition in jr hockey and took runs at everybody smaller than him. But his mom Bonnie had people all over the league following him when they could not be around, so her little boy Eric didnt get a boo boo.

He wasnt Tie Domi, Rob Ray tough and that wasnt his game, but he whined about a lot of stuff. Joel Otto was at then end when Lindros was coming up, but he was the tougher of the 2 guy on those flyer teams, IMO.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I honestly never thought of Eric Lindros as tough. He was bigger than most of his competition in jr hockey and took runs at everybody smaller than him. But his mom Bonnie had people all over the league following him when they could not be around, so her little boy Eric didnt get a boo boo.

He wasnt Tie Domi, Rob Ray tough and that wasnt his game, but he whined about a lot of stuff. Joel Otto was at then end when Lindros was coming up, but he was the tougher of the 2 guy on those flyer teams, IMO.
    Toughness vs concussions can't be measured. Lindros was a hell of a hockey player. That 'Legion of Boom' coulda been/shoulda been legendary. Just never panned out. That division had so much power in those years. The Pens, the Rangers, the emergence of the Devils, even the Sabres were tough back then. Lindros 'the next great one' barely got realized in that soup. But that guy could play.

Muth is going to be just fine. The rules protect receivers so you can't hit them when their not looking anymore. I see this guy being around for a long time. Excellent draft pick, IMO.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

when I think Hockey and tough Lindro's isnt the guy who enters my mind .....

who enters my mind , Ryan Reaves that's who
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Muth!

He was definitely tough and physical he had elite skills and the physical components to go with it. If you didn’t think he was tough then you probably didn’t watch him on a regular basis. Other than the eventual concussions (and his parents feeding his head with drama) there wasn’t really a weak part of his game on ice and whether with the “Crazy 8s” or “Legion of Doom”, he was dominant.

Domi and Ray were just enforcers. Liberia wasn’t an enforcer, he was a hockey player with some of those skills as well.

when I think Hockey and tough Lindro's isnt the guy who enters my mind .....

who enters my mind , Ryan Reaves that's who
    I agree with that statement. I know a couple guys that played with/against him and they talked about other guys as tough guys more than Lindros.

As for Friermuth, I think a lot of comparisons for him were guys like Tyler Eifert that were known as really good receivers from the TE position. Muth has great hands, gets in and out of breaks better than Eifert did and I think shows a better commitment to being part of the blocking game. He is definitely TE1, so its nice to know the Steelers just need to fill in with 2nd and 3rd TE's going forward.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Did you watch any games? I met him twice and he was a HUGE dude built like brick shit house. He fought a lot of guys in the league so I wouldn't say he wasn't tough. His biggest problem was when he was growing up he was so big he was never taught to skate with his head up because he was so big other kids just bounced off of him. Unfortunately this habit eventually caught up to him in the NHL when guys just as big realized this and started to target him with his head down (something that the league eventually took out). I played hockey all the way through division 2 in college and coaches constantly harp on you about skating with your head down or going into corners with your head down for this very reason.

But to say he wasn't that tough when you fight Marty McSorley is ridiculous.

Here he is fighting Scott Stevens (again no pussy):

Derian Hatcher (same size as him):

Now I will agree with you that his parents f'd up his career. His parents acting as his agent was bad enough but then when they started calling GM's to tell them how to play him and who to trade that was ridiculous. Eric would have been smart to fire his parents at the beginning of his career and hire a personal skating coach to correct his head down tendencies.

Were there tougher players? Probably but I've watched a lot of hockey since the Flyers of the 1970's and Lindros was one of the best players I've ever seen play and I was a season ticket holder for the Flyers all through the 80's and 90's. Pre-concussion days when he stepped onto the ice the building sensed it, the players sensed it and he made everyone around him play better. That is the true sign of a great player in any sport.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

People can say 'I wouldn't call whoever tough'. Sayin that means absolutely nothing. First of all nobody becomes a Captain of an NHL team without a lot of toughness. It's really just a stupid thing people say when they have nothing else. Guys like Lindros, Shanahan, Messier, Neely, Pronger, and Barnaby were all great skaters, puck handlers, passers, and shooters as well as being some of the toughest guys in that era. There are others I'm not naming I know. Then there were the enforcers that got paid to fight and make the big hits. Those guys are the ones that people immediately go to when talking tough guys in the NHL. But hockey fans already know this. I once watched Bob Probert fight both Messier and Beukeboom in the same game and beat both guys pretty quickly and easily. Does that make Probert the tougher guy or the better fighter?

- - - Updated - - -

Concussion protocols in the NFL are not the most consistent but they have gotten better. These receivers going over the middle in todays game don't have nearly as much to fear as in the past. Concussions still end careers in sports but at least the risk is less and the overall numbers are better.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

How could I have not known that starting a thread on Freiermuth would turn into a hockey conversation?!

How could I have not known that starting a thread on Freiermuth would turn into a hockey conversation?!

Too true!

I know, it seems like the logical path.

I mean, the kid glides around on the field, doesn't play defense, has silky mitts and always has his head up in the neutral zone. Plus, when he scores its just spike, celly, repeat...although he could work on his flow.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

We do have a bit of a problem staying “on topic”.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Actually it turned into a concussion discussion.

The discussion was about a concussion from Russian percussion.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    The discussion was about a concussion from Russian percussion.
    are there repercussions from whether it was a discussion about concussions from Russian or Prussian percussions?

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    are there repercussions from whether it was a discussion about concussions from Russian or Prussian percussions?
    I certainly hope not!

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

The solution is simple:

mo’ tussin

TE Pat Freiermuth’s rookie season suggests ‘sky is the limit’ for Steelers

CHRIS ADAMSKI | Saturday, July 9, 2022

It took a half decade, but the Pittsburgh Steelers finally found themselves a worthy successor to Heath Miller. And if Pat Freiermuth could unequivocally establish that much as a young 23-year-old in his rookie NFL season, what can the Steelers expect going forward?

“He’s going to be one of the best tight ends in the league, if not the best, in time,” Steelers rookie tight end Connor Heyward said. “I think he’s a top tight end right now. He’s a great tight end — he can catch, run, block. And he’s just so smooth; his catch radius is crazy.

“I think Pat is an elite tight end.”

to read rest of article:

https://triblive.com/sports/te-pat-f...-for-steelers/

Kenny and Muth have been working out together. Considering how Muth excelled as a rookie despite having a QB who refused to throw it across the middle, now having a QB who LOVES the middle of the field, I expect Muth to put up better numbers than any TE in Steelers history.

As I said, chocolate meet peanut butter.