Thread: Omar Khan reported to be next GM

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Omar Khan reported to be next GM

according to rapsheet Khan is the next man up ... great numbers guy but unclear what he brings in terms to scouting and player personnel and is why I personally thought Brandon Hunt had a leg up for the job but I digress
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Re: Omar Khan reported to be next GM

Good for Khan. He's been with the Steelers for a long time and knows how this team is ran. Khan also has a hand in the draft process, as he's been seen at pro days, so I doubt much change with the draft process or scouting department. It'll be business at usual, which is good.

Andy Weidl from the Eagles being the new assistant GM seems to be a big pick up. Eagles fans are sad to see him go.

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited by BlackAndGold; 05-25-2022 at 01:06 AM.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Interesting choice.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Not a clue who this guy is? Anyone care to comment? Hopefully the rest of our division is yelling this today:

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    Not a clue who this guy is? Anyone care to comment?
    The best capologist in the league.

Can he draft? Who knows. But, with the scouting department intact, it shouldn’t be a problem… at least not as much of a problem versus losing (and trying to replace) his skills with the salary cap.

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

One thing about this choice, his bad picks will be as interesting as his good ones. You know - when everybody yells, OMAR!!!!!!!!!

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    Not a clue who this guy is? Anyone care to comment? Hopefully the rest of our division is yelling this today:

Hopefully they'll be yelling it at the very end of the season too

Senior Member Array title="ETL has a reputation beyond repute"> ETL's Avatar

I wanted the Philly guy and I guess we got him in a way.

Senior Member Array title="bendsteel is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

Can he draft? Who knows. But, with the scouting department intact, it shouldn’t be a problem… at least not as much of a problem versus losing (and trying to replace) his skills with the salary cap.
    This!!!

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

I'm good with the hire honestly. I'd assume part of being a good GM requires knowledge of how the cap works. Cap is a huge part of the equation when it comes to putting a winning team together.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Seems to me that it was a hire made because they were afraid to lose him. I'd prefer a personnel guy for that position 10/10 times. Hopefully it works out, but I don't have blind trust.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

If you dig a little deeper…..Khan has been a lot more involved than just the numbers. Do some of your own research! Discover what Khan has done in preparation for this new job.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    If you dig a little deeper…..Khan has been a lot more involved than just the numbers. Do some of your own research! Discover what Khan has done in preparation for this new job.
    I’ve learned a bit about Khan’s overall career. He’s highly qualified for the position. No guaranteed anything for results but he’s got loads of experience both on the scouting and cap side.

Recent moves seem to indicate the team is giving him loads of help on the personnel side as well.

Appears to have all the tools and resources to thrive in a new role.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

OK, so are we good with an internal hire, or is this another "cheap Rooneys promote from within, rather than bring on new ideas from other people"?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    OK, so are we good with an internal hire, or is this another "cheap Rooneys promote from within, rather than bring on new ideas from other people"?
    I know what you're getting at...but I would like to respond in a slightly different direction...

I find it interesting just how many people from how many places they interviewed. Hopefully, someone was taking detailed notes and some of those "outside" methods can be examined and incorporated. This is the first time in 2 decades the team is likely to consider any changes in how they do things.

I'm not saying change just to change, but they interviewed some clever football folks that have done clever football things in other places. Shamelessly steal anything that seems good and apply it to your own shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I’ve learned a bit about Khan’s overall career. He’s highly qualified for the position. No guaranteed anything for results but he’s got loads of experience both on the scouting and cap side.

Recent moves seem to indicate the team is giving him loads of help on the personnel side as well.

Appears to have all the tools and resources to thrive in a new role.
    Can you provide a source or link for the loads of scouting experience? Best I've come across is this: "Cowher said there were times he dabbled on the player personnel side, as well." Dabbling isn't loads of experience. I hope you're right, but I haven't read anything to that effect. Otherwise, he's a guy that will run the business and and the Assistant GM will handle personnel.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Otherwise, he's a guy that will run the business and and the Assistant GM will handle personnel.
    …….and from everything I’ve read, that’s the plan. Weidl is the first asst. GM the Steelers have had.

Also, a good article on Khan, by Labriola on Steelers.com. Talks about Kahn’s career including his time with the Saints.
    Last edited by Hawkman; 05-26-2022 at 12:20 PM.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Can you provide a source or link for the loads of scouting experience? Best I've come across is this: "Cowher said there were times he dabbled on the player personnel side, as well." Dabbling isn't loads of experience. I hope you're right, but I haven't read anything to that effect. Otherwise, he's a guy that will run the business and and the Assistant GM will handle personnel.
    Just because you don’t see his job description written in a local newspaper or some blog doesn’t mean he hasn’t done things with the personnel department. I hardly believe that the Steelers Organization would just give him a title and a job with him having no experience whatsoever. So you have Khan, Weidl and Colbert all around the organization. Basically, the only thing that has changed are the job titles and one new guy added to the mix and the old guy as an “advisor”.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Well, considering how armchair GMs everywhere bagged on Colbert up until the very end because every single draft pick wasn't an All-Pro/future HoFer despite being widely acknowledged by league insiders as one of the best in the business for years...

1997-2001 with the Saints has been widely reported to be scouting focused position. What where the responsibilities and deliverables? How would I know that?

I think the "divide" between the numbers and scouting sides of the front office is way over-stated by the media and internet pundits. I don't know what the Steelers have been paying Khan, but I'm going to assume it is a great deal of money. And we are going to believe that he negotiates like 3 dozen contracts and extensions primarily during a 3 month period and then shows up to work and stares at the wall the rest of the year?

And at the same time, for the past 20+ years I really don't think Colbert has been sitting in a dark room in the bowels of the Steelers facilities "grinding the tape" and personally scouting NFL and college players. He's getting that information largely from others and then prioritizing where the team directs resources.

And to off-set Colbert's decades of experience doing that, the team hired 2 guys to support Khan as he steps into the role.

I'm going to guess the "scouting" discussion is just an over-wrought media creation.

My concern with Weidl is how long will it be before someone hires him away for a GM job. I give it one year, two tops. If Hunt leaves for other pastures, where will that leave the personnel side of the ship?

My concern with Weidl is how long will it be before someone hires him away for a GM job. I give it one year, two tops. If Hunt leaves for other pastures, where will that leave the personnel side of the ship?
    I think in the hands of the actual minions doing all the scouting and tape watching. We never hear who those guys are or how many of them there are. I figure those folks do like 85% of the work and provide the top level people whose names we hear about all the information that they use to make a decision.

In an average draft class...how much actual play by play game tape does Colbert really watch? Is he really scouting guards projected for the 6th round from Nowhere Central State? I figure Colbert watches film on first and second round guys. Maybe like 100 prospects - if that. And the rest is just synthesizing information from staff.

https://www.steelers.com/team/front-office-roster/ - this lists over a dozen people I have never heard of (except Bruener and Chidi) that likely do the vast amount of the heavy lifting.

For instance, did Colbert "identify" someone like Dan Moore or did one of the various college scouts and then Colbert was good enough to recognize and authorize the drafting of the player based on the information provided to him? I suspect that is how it works (or is intended to) and it gives me reason to be optimistic that even if the names at the top of the FO change, the approach, the methodologies, and the priorities will stay the same and position the next GM to be successful as well.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

With a GM looking for an assistant.

:dunno:

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

I think in the hands of the actual minions doing all the scouting and tape watching. We never hear who those guys are or how many of them there are. I figure those folks do like 85% of the work and provide the top level people whose names we hear about all the information that they use to make a decision.

In an average draft class...how much actual play by play game tape does Colbert really watch? Is he really scouting guards projected for the 6th round from Nowhere Central State? I figure Colbert watches film on first and second round guys. Maybe like 100 prospects - if that. And the rest is just synthesizing information from staff.

https://www.steelers.com/team/front-office-roster/ - this lists over a dozen people I have never heard of (except Bruener and Chidi) that likely do the vast amount of the heavy lifting.

For instance, did Colbert "identify" someone like Dan Moore or did one of the various college scouts and then Colbert was good enough to recognize and authorize the drafting of the player based on the information provided to him? I suspect that is how it works (or is intended to) and it gives me reason to be optimistic that even if the names at the top of the FO change, the approach, the methodologies, and the priorities will stay the same and position the next GM to be successful as well.
    But the top guy makes the decisions. Every team has good scouts, but not every team has great decision makers.

But the top guy makes the decisions. Every team has good scouts, but not every team has great decision makers.
    Sure. But no one associated with the Steelers new FO structure is a "proven good NFL decider". There are several that have indications they COULD be.

No reason that Khan can not be an excellent GM.

Sure. But no one associated with the Steelers new FO structure is a "proven good NFL decider". There are several that have indications they COULD be.

No reason that Khan can not be an excellent GM.
    Mr. Rooney thinks so. I hope so.