Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pickens vs Austin

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Pickens vs Austin

Who has the more productive rookie season?

Imo, they will both get plenty of opportunities, but I'm going with Austin. I think they'll try to utilize his speed as much as possible. Just needs to stay healthy.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Re: Pickens vs Austin

I'm going with Austin. He was highly productive in college. Pickens, not so much.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Austin. Just because if Canadas offense is really a thing, he will get more opportunities being the type of player he is.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Hard for me to go against my favorite selection the team made .... Austin and his Blazing speed ( world class speed ) he may be 5'8" but his wing span is that of a much larger man , long arms , large catch radius for a guy his size , agility in spades , quick as a cat , did I mention speed ?? and he has good hands and does not drop the ball !!!!!!!

did I mention how fast he is ???

if you want splash plays get this man the ball in space and let him create
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

The more time I have to think about the Pickens selection, the less I like it. Talented but erratic player who made a big splash but hasn't done a lot since, is coming off a major injury and sounds like kind of a meathead. Another poster said he reminds them of Martavis Bryant, which I kind of worry about. Sometimes we've managed to get the most out of those kinds of players for a while, but for a R2 pick, seems like a big gamble on a wild card.

I am assuming Austin will get a lot of time as the slot receiver, and as long as we've got a QB who can throw the ball decently, a good slot receiver ought to thrive in this offense - the speed is a nice bonus, we've seen how the ability to turn little slants into big breakaways can change the whole game.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Except Martavis Bryant had speed to get downfield. The impression I'm getting from Pickens is that he's a possession/red zone guy. Catches everything but won't break away.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    Except Martavis Bryant had speed to get downfield. The impression I'm getting from Pickens is that he's a possession/red zone guy. Catches everything but won't break away.
    A lot of Bryant's big plays, if I remember correctly, had less to do with breakaway speed than the ability to make crazy circus catches way down the field, whether covered or not. Bryant ran a 4.42 in the 40 and this guy is at 4.47, not a huge difference if you ask me.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Pickens, the guy seems to catch everything and is a big target. These kind of guys are a young QB's best friend

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

The Steelers met with Pickens at least twice and worked him out at his pro-day. I think they knew exactly who they were going after in the draft. WR has been a strong drafted position and I believe they got their guy with Pickens so I definitely believe there is a plan for him. I don't see him coming in off the bench.

I'm extremely interested to see some formations and pre-snap motions these guys will run. So many options with a new coordinator. This offense could jump out and surprise some teams out of the gate.

As for more productive rookie season between Pickens and Austin? I think it will be a close battle but I'll give an edge to Austin. I think he will be used in the run game as well as the passing game. And I think there will be some gimmick plays just to get him the ball in space. Sounds fun doesn't it?

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

They have Austin listed at 5'9 162 lbs. In comparison, Dri Archer was 5'8 174 lbs. I think they will run a few jet sweeps, but not any more than a few. At that size I don't think they will risk getting Austin smacked by LBs or DEs too often.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I’m not taking anything away from Austin and those who think he’s going to be better. That said, I’m not sure why so many are down on Pickens. Yes, Pickens only had 5 receptions this past season… because Pickens was injured AND when he did return, Kirby smart limited Pickens’ snaps.

SUMMATION:
    As I stated prior to the draft, Pickens has the potential to be the best receiver in this entire draft class.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    I’m not taking anything away from Austin and those who think he’s going to be better. That said, I’m not sure why so many are down on Pickens. Yes, Pickens only had 5 receptions this past season… because Pickens was injured AND when he did return, Kirby smart limited Pickens’ snaps.

SUMMATION:
    As I stated prior to the draft, Pickens has the potential to be the best receiver in this entire draft class.
    Maybe the “red flags” narrative from draft media is gaining traction?

I can’t find what is that put “unnamed sources” and “one scout” off about the kid. One fight and some water bottle nonsense?

It’s not like he tested positive for drugs or has a rep for being arrested. What am I missing?

I see a prospect who needs refinement but could have an AJ Green - Randy Moss ceiling.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

It was obvious the Steelers were drafting a WR. It was also obvious they showed much interest in George Pickens. They already have a plan for him.

Senior Member Array title="ThorndikeFFA has much to be proud of">

Pickens seems like a Smith-Shuster type player to me.

Pickens 6'3", 195
    JuJu 6'2", 210

I'm guessing they liked what they had in JuJu and wanted more of it at an affordable price.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Tough question, depends on Canada’s play calling, the QB, the o line. Everything will be completely new. That being said I’ll go with Pickens just because he’s bigger, good hands and decent speed, and thus more durable: they’ll use him more than a small slot receiver

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

If used correctly (think Wes Welker), Austin could be a terror to cover, but you have to develop an offense that can get him the ball downfield past the linebackers. If the QB can hit him there while he's moving he is going to be a terror to stop.

As for Pickens I don't get the hate. He played in the top program his last two years playing against the best, and won a national championship. Had he not been hurt I don't think he would have been there to pick. He's going to be good.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RunNGun View Post
    They have Austin listed at 5'9 162 lbs. In comparison, Dri Archer was 5'8 174 lbs. I think they will run a few jet sweeps, but not any more than a few. At that size I don't think they will risk getting Austin smacked by LBs or DEs too often.
    Austin weighed in at 173 at the Combine.
    https://www.nfl.com/news/calvin-aust...rd-dash-explos

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    5'7 3/4 ... steelers must be measuring him in his shoes

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    A lot of Bryant's big plays, if I remember correctly, had less to do with breakaway speed than the ability to make crazy circus catches way down the field, whether covered or not. Bryant ran a 4.42 in the 40 and this guy is at 4.47, not a huge difference if you ask me.
    People said the same of JuJu.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Google has failed me.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    People said the same of JuJu.
    I don’t think many people accused Juju of being fast.

Antonio Brown ran a 4.47/40. DJ ran a 4.53/40. Claypool came in at a 4.42/40.

The 40 time means so very little. Guys practice that run as part of their workout for combine and pro-day numbers. Play speed and agility are much more important.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post

The 40 time means so very little. Guys practice that run as part of their workout for combine and pro-day numbers. Play speed and agility are much more important.
    Yeah my favorite receiver in the draft was David Bell who ran in the mid 4.6’s. I think he might end up having the best career from the draft. Cooper Kupp ran a 4.62.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I don’t think many people accused Juju of being fast.
    Quoted on wrong post...

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    This is what they said about JuJu.

lol.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Austin is quick off the release, has great change of direction and speed, plus he runs good routes and shows good hands. A 39" vertical and 4.32 40-yard dash he has the tools to get open. He may not break many tackles, but I think he is going to get the ball in jet sweeps and work the slot in 3WR sets, plus that speed from the slot can hold a safety if a team is playing single high safety.

He is going to get some Tavon Austin comparisons and Isaiah MacKenzie is what Lance Zeirline has a comp to. I think he will get more work this year, but Pickens has a chance to push Claypool for catches and most likely replace Johnson if he leaves as a free agent in 2023.

Lets be honest, whether its Trubisky or Pickett that gets the QB1 job, their best friends will be the reliable hands of Friermuth, the route running of Johnson to get open and a check down to Najee in the flats if the first couple reads arent there. The days of lobbing a football up to Claypool in single coverage are most likely gone (thank god).

some guys have that sort of ability prior for training for combine , Austin is one of them he was a track star too , but unlike our last track star ( Artie Burns ) Austin is a really really good football player too

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

The route running of Johnson? DJ? Like when he gave up on his route in the wildcard last year? I hope his route ruining improves but I won’t hold my breath. I actually like the acquisition of Pickens and Austin, I have a feeling they can really improve the existing receiver corp. DJ and Claypool have talent but they haven’t reached their potential at all yet,

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

How do you figure Austin's career will compare by the time he's done when compared to Cole Beasley?
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

some guys have that sort of ability prior for training for combine , Austin is one of them he was a track star too , but unlike our last track star ( Artie Burns ) Austin is a really really good football player too
    True.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Exactly. Unless you are Darrell Green catching Tony Dorsett (or Troy catching Chris Johnson? I can't remember) from way behind and that is rare. Even Juju who was considered "slow" had some 90+ yard TD receptions because he got separation and couldn't be caught.