Thread: Coaching tactics

Senior Member Array title="bendsteel is a splendid one to behold">

Coaching tactics

Perhaps this should be in another thread. Mods move it if so. I have been thinking that since way back(I am 58), coaching was primarily about X's and O's. Technique etc. Now we look at a situation like Bush. Certainly he is being medically cared for, rehabbed out the wazoo, probably even some psych help. Do the coaches literally say to a guy, "Damn, Bro! This is your final shot. Better step on the long skinny pedal." I would think that could be as big a motivator as any. Another example would be if the media(or fans) are super down on a player, would the coaches roll that out to them in convo, "everybody sees it dude"??? A whole nother level of psych coaching for a whole nother level of the sport. The ONLY thing Bush has lost is between his ears. Boy needs coached up....in reality. I know Fichtner was NOT it. Not Butler. Nor Tomlin. More than ever, these players are immature boys compared to the men that played the game in the 60s and 70s. Just my penny's worth. Thoughts?

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: Coaching tactics

I hear doctors tell patients all the time there is always the physical recovery and the mental recovery. Our patients have total joint replacements and/or severe trauma resulting in broken bones, ligaments, tendons, muscles, etc... The physical recovery the doctors can help with but the mental recovery is mostly on the patient.

Mark Schlereth tells the story of talking with a MLB player that his son played with. The guy was recovering from some major injury and told Mark he was trying to get back to 100% before getting back into the game. Mark talked with him about all the injuries he had been through during his football career and told the guy that 100% may not be the same 100% he remembers. Often that 100% is about 90% of your old 100%. If you wait on that you may never feel like playing again.

I refuse to attempt to diagnose what's holding Bush back. I hope to see an improved version from last season. Something that more resembles a before the injury Bush. That is what I plan to see until proven different.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

NFL teams spend 100s of millions on player salary and physical rehabilitation but are loathe to spend tens of thousands on mental health professionals. Makes no sense.

I suspect a football coach is ill equipped to counsel players.

I also suspect no one was any tougher. No one talked about it and guys just fell out of the league with nary a word.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Whatever is holding Bush back, I expect he'll have a very short leash this season to get it turned around. He might get relegated to backup duty very early in the season.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Whatever is holding Bush back, I expect he'll have a very short leash this season to get it turned around. He might get relegated to backup duty very early in the season.
    Maybe?

Despite the return to health of some of the other ILBs on the roster, there really doesn't seem to be another "starter" on the roster.

Robinson is not ready to play in the NFL.
    Marcus Allen is game but he just isn't big enough to start or really play meaningful snaps on defense.
    UG3 will likely be in back-brace before the end of camp. He used to look promising, but I dunno if he is still anything besides "just a guy".
    Spillane. Uggghhhhh. I know this is really unpopular, but Spillane playing primary snaps at ILB is harmful to the defense. He's a great story. Good part of the roster for special teams and limited rotational snaps at LB, but he just isn't good enough to play all the time. When he does, he gets beat.

So that brings us to Buddy Johnson. Since they weren't able to get him on the field last season...I remain optimistic but wary.

They have a lot of guys listed at ILB but the actual playable depth here is still pretty bad in my opinion. I would honestly be okay with them still turning the position over in a massive way. I wouldn't mind seeing Spillane and UG3 replaced by two new faces.

If Bush isn't able to improve, the defense has limited options for inserting a capable player into the lineup. Their offseason moves made me think that they are "banking" on Bush playing well enough to get a 2nd contract.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

What if Bush bounces back and has the athleticism and production that he showed prior to the injury? People here suddenly gonna love him again or still hold onto some form of the hate they feel now?

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    What if Bush bounces back and has the athleticism and production that he showed prior to the injury? People here suddenly gonna love him again or still hold onto some form of the hate they feel now?
    We’ll love him again until he signs with another team for more money. Then we’ll hate him again. That stuff is in the rule book.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

They already hit him with the biggest motivational thing they could. They didn't pick up his 5th year option. If this doesn't mentally kick you in the ass, then you are never recovering. I pulled a muscle in my back years ago and my wife says I still stick the dismount at 90% which is okay with me! (Sorry TMI?)