Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are the Steelers Any Better than Last Year?

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Re: Are the Steelers Any Better than Last Year?

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    they did kick our asses twice though, wasn't even close either time
    True, but that was the first time in a LONG time they swept us during a season.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    they did kick our asses twice though, wasn't even close either time
    And? The Browns also took 2 of 3 and eliminated the Steelers from the playoffs in 2020. 2021 was a much different story despite returning the exact same roster. The Bengals also kicked the Ravens' asses, and it wasn't close.

There's a major difference between winning and winning with expectations. The '21 Bengals came out of nowhere and shocked everyone and even beat the Chiefs twice. Even went to the Super Bowl. Yeah, turns out they're pretty good. Now let's see them do it with a target on their back and teams with an entire offseason to prepare for them now. They're like the '17 Jaguars and the '19 49ers.

Getting to the Super Bowl is not easy, and Joe Burrow did it his second year. Yeah, I don't see anyone overlooking them.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    And? The Browns also took 2 of 3 and eliminated the Steelers from the playoffs in 2020. 2021 was a much different story despite returning the exact same roster. The Bengals also kicked the Ravens' asses, and it wasn't close.

There's a major difference between winning and winning with expectations. The '21 Bengals came out of nowhere and shocked everyone and even beat the Chiefs twice. Even went to the Super Bowl. Yeah, turns out they're pretty good. Now let's see them do it with a target on their back and teams with an entire offseason to prepare for them now. They're like the '17 Jaguars and the '19 49ers.

Getting to the Super Bowl is not easy, and Joe Burrow did it his second year. Yeah, I don't see anyone overlooking them.
    What I'm saying is although their record was only a half game better than ours, they were still a better team than us by a pretty good margin (last year)

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I’m sitting here thinking about this. Well, overthinking to be honest.

But it’s about QB and O line, right?

Any significant “better” starts and stops right there; doesn’t it?

Maybe Ben has a better final hurrah if his Center wasn’t either on the ground or in his lap every other snap. Maybe a more mobile Pickett-Trubisky makes more happen behind a porous line.

But regardless of how you or I define better, the issue is that right now and on paper the 2022 Steelers have the most questions at o line and QB of any of the AFC North teams.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Sure. It’s all on paper at this point. And on paper their the “worst” team in a strong division.

If nothing else, it’s having the worst QB situation. Even if it’s not terrible it’s not (yet) on par.

Now we know how other AFC North teams felt for the better part of 2 decades.
    I'm not a Lamar Jackson believer so you can remove me from the worst QB club.