Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are the Steelers Any Better than Last Year?

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Are the Steelers Any Better than Last Year?

What is your gut feeling about the Steelers post-draft?

Better?

About the same?

Worse?

I would guess about the same with my biggest concerns right now being QB & OT.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: Are the Steelers Any Better than Last Year?

Position group by position group I would say yes.

QB - Better
    OL - Better
    WR - Better
    TE - TBD
    RB - TBD

DL - Better
    LB - Better
    Secondary - Better

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

I can't think of any area where they've gotten worse. We lost a few big names with big salaries, who were no longer big producers. A lot depends on the new QBs and WRs, but I'm optimistic at least one of each will turn out to be pretty good.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I think they are better BUT I think a lot of teams they are competing with have gotten better as well…better better.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

The 2021 Steelers was easily the single worst Steelers team since the late 90's, and Ben couldn't move or throw the ball anymore. It can't be too hard to be improve on that. The only thing I think will affect the 2022 Steelers is their sudden youth and growing pains trying to establish chemistry, unless Kenny Pickett somehow hits the ground running or Rudolph/Trubisky has a breakout season.

Senior Member Array title="ThorndikeFFA has much to be proud of">

Slightly improved. Just addressing the OL with the addition of a couple of FAs was enough to improve the offense. Jack will be a big improvement at LB.

I'm still concerned about the OL, QB, and WR. I'm worried about the DL. IF everyone is back, healthy, and hungry the DL could be special. Big, big IF.

Senior Member Array title="Orion has a reputation beyond repute"> Orion's Avatar

i find it odd nobody is considering one of the biggest complaints last year. coaching..
    is canada going to trot out the same shitty schemes and play calling ? was canada holding Ben back or was Ben holding canada back ?
    will the new Oline coach be able to get more out of which looks to still be a below average OLINE?
    can brian flores fix last years defensive problems ?

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    What is your gut feeling about the Steelers post-draft?

Better?

About the same?

Worse?

I would guess about the same with my biggest concerns right now being QB & OT.

I think the overall roster is definitely better. There are more quality players and much better depth at multiple positions.

The big questions are what they will be getting from the QB position, and how much the offensive line improves from last year.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    i find it odd nobody is considering one of the biggest complaints last year. coaching..
    is canada going to trot out the same shitty schemes and play calling ? was canada holding Ben back or was Ben holding canada back ?
    will the new Oline coach be able to get more out of which looks to still be a below average OLINE?
    can brian flores fix last years defensive problems ?
    an issue that was brought up alot last year was the poor offensive line play. It hampered what Canada could do. also Ben's lack of mobility made the poor line play worse - so there was only so much Canada could do except draw up quick slant and other short passes. I'm not sure i buy that none of it was Canada's fault but we'll certainly see with an improved o line, star RB and a young mobile and capable QB (Trubisky or KP). Canada has to produce this year no doubt.

On D I'm just hoping Bush returns to form. He's a big part of the D. Maybe Austin and Flores can light a fire under him.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I think they are better BUT I think a lot of teams they are competing with have gotten better as well…better better.
    agree with this assessment; Bengals are not the bungles anymore and the Ravens may be back this year. Cleveland is still a question mark, but they could be improved with Watson. Suffice to say the Steelers will have their hands full.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

It’s a more talented roster top to bottom on paper. Depends a great deal on FA, injury returns, and the draft class.

I’ll bet on the talent being real. But I don’t think it leads to more wins in 2022. 2023? Probably.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Position group by position group I would say yes.

QB - Better
    OL - Better
    WR - Better
    TE - TBD
    RB - TBD

DL - Better
    LB - Better
    Secondary - Better
    TE and RB return two outstanding sophomores. I'm not sure why they get a TBD but unknowns at QB and OL get a better rating. I really think that each unit will be better, but TE and RB might lead the pack.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    The 2021 Steelers was easily the single worst Steelers team since the late 90's, and Ben couldn't move or throw the ball anymore. It can't be too hard to be improve on that. The only thing I think will affect the 2022 Steelers is their sudden youth and growing pains trying to establish chemistry, unless Kenny Pickett somehow hits the ground running or Rudolph/Trubisky has a breakout season.
    You are what your record says you are. Definitely not the worst in the past 25-30 years.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    TE and RB return two outstanding sophomores. I'm not sure why they get a TBD but unknowns at QB and OL get a better rating. I really think that each unit will be better, but TE and RB might lead the pack.

- - - Updated - - -

You are what your record says you are. Definitely not the worst in the past 25-30 years.
    I guess I was just thinking new personnel or returning personnel. I do think Najee and PF will be better versions of what they were last season. I was thinking about it as the whole room. Did the TE/RB room as a whole get better?

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I guess I was just thinking new personnel or returning personnel. I do think Najee and PF will be better versions of what they were last season. I was thinking about it as the whole room. Did the TE/RB room as a whole get better?
    We got rid of Ebron. That’s a plus. If we can drop Snell that’d be another addition by subtraction. The o-line improvement will really help NH and PF, I think.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Ben couldn’t throw to the MOF.
    Pickett was the best at it in the NCAA last season.

SUMMATION:
    Muth will feast.

So, in other words: YES

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Ben couldn't throw anything with accuracy past 10 yards and never used the middle of the field. Anything has to be an improvement on that.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

This really comes down to two things. QB and OL. I loved Ben to death but he clearly was done after the elbow injury in 2019. Last year our OL was a total mess at the start of the season but got better. If this new OL can play we should be okay since Muth and Harris have a year under their belts now. But like any NFL team you usually only go as far as your QB. I predict that Trubisky will start the year and Pickett will enter at some point. I'm willing to let Pickett struggle and grow (even if it means blemishing Tomlin's .500 record), as long as he's improving.

The defense on paper SHOULD be better but until the fall we won't know. Losing Haden hurts but let's be honest he was hurt quite a bit and missed a lot of games.

The biggest thing is what others have said, the rest of the division got better and if Watson can play they all have a QB. Time will tell.
    Last edited by EzraTank; 05-12-2022 at 07:57 AM.

Tomlin's record is 143-92-2. It's never been about a .500 record, ever. Tomlin's accomplishment of having never finished below .500 during his 15 seasons is an amazing feat. Tom Landry had a consecutive winning season streak of 20 years. The Steelers are actually on an 18 consecutive non-losing seasons streak. I don't understand all the fans that simply don't acknowledge how big of a deal that actually is. It seems some fans are of the mindset that no trophy means failed season. You fans will always be miserable.

I am willing to double down that this team, overall, will be improved over last season. As of Spring 2022 there is no position group that got worse by my opinion. Question marks still exist on Tuitt's return, and at the overall strength of the ILB room. Other than that it's obvious improvements across the board.

Senior Member Array title="Dissolv is a splendid one to behold"> Dissolv's Avatar

My take. It is a different team more than a better one first and foremost.

They should be able to call more types of plays successfully. Hopefully this variety leads to more overall success, which would be what I assume makes a "better" team. The OL and the QB held us back last year. This year the QB is a huge question mark, but you have to expect some level of protection via conservative play calling whenever possible.

What makes them "better" is going to be consistent execution, controlling the clock, and putting up points. We were a one trick pony in 2020, but still racked up an 11-0 record before people figured us out. That's a pretty high bar to beat in the NFL, even with a "better" team. Some teams will not quite get the breaks and wind up a couple of wins lower than you might expect for one reason or another -- injuries, contract disputes, locker room cancer, covid/flu at the wrong time, you name it.

Regardless of the record, I think you have to look at playoffs to really get into the difference making performances. And we have stunk on ice for years now. So I'm going to say 2 playoff wins = clearly better. 1 playoff win = better. 0 playoff wins = what's the difference, at that point? The first half of the season I think they will need to get their feet under themselves, and with luck they'll have most things sorted out by game 6 or so. After that we should be seeing solid, workman like performances on both sides of the ball if we expect them to make a deep playoff run.

All I really know is that I'll be watching, and I"ll be rooting for them.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Gonna be more interesting to watch. Love Ben but honestly watching his final 2 seasons were frustrating as hell. Want to see what Pickett brings to the table, I have a feeling he'll be a good one.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Tomlin's record is 143-92-2. It's never been about a .500 record, ever. Tomlin's accomplishment of having never finished below .500 during his 15 seasons is an amazing feat. Tom Landry had a consecutive winning season streak of 20 years. The Steelers are actually on an 18 consecutive non-losing seasons streak. I don't understand all the fans that simply don't acknowledge how big of a deal that actually is. It seems some fans are of the mindset that no trophy means failed season. You fans will always be miserable.

I am willing to double down that this team, overall, will be improved over last season. As of Spring 2022 there is no position group that got worse by my opinion. Question marks still exist on Tuitt's return, and at the overall strength of the ILB room. Other than that it's obvious improvements across the board.
    If this was directed as me, I'm not in the fire Tomlin group, I too think it is an amazing feat and a few years it simply was because of coaching we didn't finish below .500. That said, again if we had to have a 6-11 season to let Pickett learn then so be it, I won't be lining up with torches for Tomlin's head if we do (although I admit at least 1/2 this board would be). I'm actually looking forward to this next season. It will be interesting to see us play with a QB that can move like Ben used to be able to. I just watched the 2008 SB recently again and it was amazing watching Ben dance out of danger, extend plays and find Heath Miller 25 yards downfield wide open. After watching the 2020/21 Ben it was easy to forget how good he used to be. I know Trubisky can move and from what I've watched of Pickett he can as well. Now it will come down to decisions they make and the ability to play the mental game. Brady isn't the most gifted physical athlete but what is above his shoulders is what made him the best ever. If Pickett can play 1/2 as good as Brady mentally, I'll be happy.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

So do we all have the same definition of "better"?

Does it mean more wins?
    Going further into the post-season?
    Putting improvement on tape regardless of game outcome on offense?
    Any outcome that makes Pickett look like the "Franchise"?

I mean all of these are valid answers to "better".

For me, I don't really care about the record this season. All that matters is that the following get answered one way or another?
    1. What is Pickett's true ceiling in the NFL?
    2. Are the weapons on offense, all of them (Harris, PF, DJ, Claypool, Pickens, Austin, Heyward), workable pieces for whatever it is that Canada wants to do?
    3. Is the offensive line set at the starting positions? If not, which ones need replacements?
    4. Who plays LB and CB long term on this team?

Need to figure those out because in 2023 you have a full boat of draft picks and oodles of cap space to find answers if needed.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    So do we all have the same definition of "better"?

Does it mean more wins?
    Going further into the post-season?
    Putting improvement on tape regardless of game outcome on offense?
    Any outcome that makes Pickett look like the "Franchise"?

I mean all of these are valid answers to "better".

For me, I don't really care about the record this season. All that matters is that the following get answered one way or another?
    1. What is Pickett's true ceiling in the NFL?
    2. Are the weapons on offense, all of them (Harris, PF, DJ, Claypool, Pickens, Austin, Heyward), workable pieces for whatever it is that Canada wants to do?
    3. Is the offensive line set at the starting positions? If not, which ones need replacements?
    4. Who plays LB and CB long term on this team?

Need to figure those out because in 2023 you have a full boat of draft picks and oodles of cap space to find answers if needed.
    Competition in the division is going to be tougher so last years team with Ben would fare worse than last years 9-7-1 record. If we can maintain about that or better with clearly better QB and OL play (better offensive production and big plays that were missing last year) and solid defense i will be happy. I'm not hung up on a deep playoff run, id like to see us get into the playoffs again but even that is not a requirement for being considered improved - again because of how tough the division and conference should be - if there are injuries to top teams at key positions then yeah, i expect an improved steelers team to take advantage of that.

trying to stick to the topic and avoid a thread derailment

Senior Member Array title="Dissolv is a splendid one to behold"> Dissolv's Avatar

It's a legit question. I am laying down the playoff win challenge. At this point, I can accept any regular season record, so long as we get at least one post-season win. That's not the end goal, just what it will take to be "better".
    The regular season has a ton of variables to get carried away over 1 or 2 games difference. Unless you are talking sustained over multiple seasons. Right now we are basically a 50-50 team. I'd like to be a 75% team. But even if we are, if we bomb out in the first round of the playoffs, we just didn't get it done.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

I guess I am with Mojouw on this one, if we can figure out the answers to a couple question marks this season and everything else is status quo I feel we are better. Is KP the next franchise QB? Is our WR room gtg? Is our OL set for multiple years? And finally is our ILB position set with Bush and Jack? If the answer to this questions is 3/4 yes’s then we are a better team IMO. Our record may not reflect that given the improvement from almost every other team in the AFC. We could be last in our division and be improved honestly. I do expect us to be competitive, our defense should be enough to keep us in games for the most part, so if our offense improves we should be ok.

As for Canada, as soon as he can show me he can design WR routes that get WRs open, I will give him a chance. Last season I recall maybe 2 route trees that used pick plays or schemed WRs open, that was disheartening.

I also should’ve mentioned figuring out if Canada and Sullivan are the dynamic duo to guide Pickett to success or if another tandem needs installed.

We assume the division will be tougher but we don’t really know that. Injuries, suspensions, drops in performance, etc. are all variables that can’t be seen at this time. I give the Steelers a shot at winning the AFCN.

We assume the division will be tougher but we don’t really know that. Injuries, suspensions, drops in performance, etc. are all variables that can’t be seen at this time. I give the Steelers a shot at winning the AFCN.
    Sure. It’s all on paper at this point. And on paper their the “worst” team in a strong division.

If nothing else, it’s having the worst QB situation. Even if it’s not terrible it’s not (yet) on par.

Now we know how other AFC North teams felt for the better part of 2 decades.

Add "The browns being the browns" to the list

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

The Bengals only finished 1/2 game ahead of the Steelers in 2021, despite playing against a last place schedule. Just sayin'...

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    The Bengals only finished 1/2 game ahead of the Steelers in 2021, despite playing against a last place schedule. Just sayin'...
    they did kick our asses twice though, wasn't even close either time