Thread: Steelers sign Mataeo Durant

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Steelers sign Mataeo Durant

Largest UDFA contract ever signed by them. Snell finally gone?

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/s...-running-back/

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Re: Steelers sign Mataeo Durant

Super bowl!

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Super bowl!
    Come on, be realistic. AFCCG!

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    Come on, be realistic. AFCCG!
    I guess that's a reasonable expectation considering we'll have a rookie starter at QB

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

5'11" , 196lbs.
    4.38 40-yard time,
    35" vertical
    10'7" Broad Jump

Not really a Snell sized RB, but also a more accomplished looking RB than McFarland. Rushed for 1200 yards last year. Some of the scouting reports talk about his thin frame and lower body, as not being durable in the NFL, but also plays special teams. I think he has a chance to push somebody off the roster.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

$15,000 is the largest signing bonus ever given to a UDFA by the Steelers?? Is that a typo?

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Anyone who knocks Snell off the roster gets my support…no matter what size or skill set they have!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    $15,000 is the largest signing bonus ever given to a UDFA by the Steelers?? Is that a typo?
    I've read it isn't.

Not terribly surprising, considering most of these guys are just glad to get paid for showing up with a chance to make a pro team at all.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Anyone who knocks Snell off the roster gets my support…no matter what size or skill set they have!
    I'd rather see McFarland go than Snell. Both, but in that order.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

other teams offer and guarantee far more to UDFAs. one of the reported reasons that they drafted the QB instead of waiting for UDFA. Be interesting if this is something a new GM would change or not.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    5'11" , 196lbs.
    4.38 40-yard time,
    35" vertical
    10'7" Broad Jump

Not really a Snell sized RB, but also a more accomplished looking RB than McFarland. Rushed for 1200 yards last year. Some of the scouting reports talk about his thin frame and lower body, as not being durable in the NFL, but also plays special teams. I think he has a chance to push somebody off the roster.
    Fast Willie Durant? He needs to be in a 40 yard race vs Calvin Austin

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    he would loose that race by a few steps .... Austin is a burner

- - - Updated - - -

I'd rather see McFarland go than Snell. Both, but in that order.
    one has done nothing and the other next to nothing ... so yeah both can be gone and I wont lose a wink of sleep
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Durant doesnt look quick, but rather has buildup speed. Still, fast enough to run away from people if he gets to 2nd level or on the edge.

Senior Member Array title="Steelerette has much to be proud of"> Steelerette's Avatar

Both of their UDFA RBs have a shot to make the team, but I think especially Durant. Even though I feel like it would be reasonable to give McFarland another year's chance... Tomlin loves Snell and Snell is actually a good ST contributor so it may be more likely Durant knocks McFarland off, unless he can play ST well. But he seem like more of a head of steam guy, than a quick twitch guy. We'll see.

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Durant doesnt look quick, but rather has buildup speed. Still, fast enough to run away from people if he gets to 2nd level or on the edge.
    Sounds alot like McFarland

Quote Originally Posted by RunNGun View Post
    Sounds alot like McFarland
    Nah, different styles of runners IMO. They both have buildup speed, but McFarland college tape always looked like he had either big holes to choose or else he wasnt decisive at picking a crease or hitting a cutback. Honestly, I always thought it was a reach, as Javon Leake was the better RB at Maryland and he was gonna be a later round pick.

Durant looks like he will hit holes or creases and try to accelerate thru them to the 2nd level. He is 3" taller and 10lbs lighter than McFarland, so a thinner build. If Najee, Snell and Heyward are power backs, maybe Durant has a chance to make the roster over McFarland or Edmunds by playing special teams and being the change of pace back.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Nah, different styles of runners IMO. They both have buildup speed, but McFarland college tape always looked like he had either big holes to choose or else he wasnt decisive at picking a crease or hitting a cutback. Honestly, I always thought it was a reach, as Javon Leake was the better RB at Maryland and he was gonna be a later round pick.

Durant looks like he will hit holes or creases and try to accelerate thru them to the 2nd level. He is 3" taller and 10lbs lighter than McFarland, so a thinner build. If Najee, Snell and Heyward are power backs, maybe Durant has a chance to make the roster over McFarland or Edmunds by playing special teams and being the change of pace back.
    other than Najee , every back that was on the 2021 roster is expendable IMO Snell , Edmunds , Mcfarland , Watt have all been here several years and have produced almost nothing ... sure there is some special teams value but nothing that isnt replaceable ... but speaking in terms of their actual position (running backs/ fullbacks) they have been pedestrian at best , if these new additions ( Warren / Heyward /Durant) offer us anything in terms of playing running back they have a leg up on the incumbents

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Lots of commentary out there on Durant. General impression is that he is fast as all get out, but lacks power and goes down on contact rather easily.

Anyone got an impression on how valid that is or isn't?

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Lots of commentary out there on Durant. General impression is that he is fast as all get out, but lacks power and goes down on contact rather easily.

Anyone got an impression on how valid that is or isn't?

I have not studied his game but just putting on this Charlotte game I do not get that impression... is he a bulldozer, no, but he falls forward and tries to gain more yards and if he does break a tackle or find a clean lane he is off to the races and not many will catch him ... Willie Parkeresque

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    I have not studied his game but just putting on this Charlotte game I do not get that impression... is he a bulldozer, no, but he falls forward and tries to gain more yards and if he does break a tackle or find a clean lane he is off to the races and not many will catch him ... Willie Parkeresque

that seems fair.

the clips in the video do seem to show a player that can be tackled by the first guy to reach him. However, reaching him can be a bit of a challenge.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

At least he doesn't look like a dancer like Parker when there's not a big obvious hole. Still, I am not a fan of those "home run speed" guys If they can't break a tackle or two and consistently gain positive yards. One 40-yard run a game and a couple 11-yard runs does you no fucking good whatsoever when the rest of them are zeroes and ones. And that's what happens way too often with these speed backs, because if you'll go down when the first guy tries to tackle you, in the pros, most of the time a guy will in fact tackle you.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Steelerette has much to be proud of"> Steelerette's Avatar

Durant isn't really a homerun speed guy. 4.38 - fast but not an earth-shattering kaboom.

His frame, speed, and playstyle, and ability to also be a receiving threat, I only found one real pro comp: Lenny Moore. Not that I'm saying Durant will be anywhere near the player.

More attention getting paid to a UDFA RB than the R1 QB lol.

More attention getting paid to a UDFA RB than the R1 QB lol.
    the RB might be good