Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Schefter: Steelers declined to pick up 5th-year option for LB Devin Bush

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Schefter: Steelers declined to pick up 5th-year option for LB Devin Bush

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Re: Schefter: Steelers declined to pick up 5th-year option for LB Devin Bush

I do not blame them , thus far he has shown no reason for them to dole out nearly 11 million for a 5th year option ... will it come back to bite them in the ass ? perhaps but I would have declined as well
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

You can’t in good conscience give him a fifth year deal. I would be upset if they did…he hasn’t earned it…

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Cats in Pittsburgh rejoice!!!

Senior Member Array title="Orion has a reputation beyond repute"> Orion's Avatar

its just unfortunate they are on the hook for $5 million this year. after last year im not convinced he should even be any roster. hopefully it was all in his head and he can shake it off.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Pre-injury Devin Bush was well on his way to earning a 2nd contract. We'll see if he can make it all the way back.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

If they were planning on this, why wouldn’t ILB be a bigger draft priority?

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I'd be fine if they outright cut him.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    maybe they like what they are seeing from Buddy Johnson ? then adding the athletic but super raw Robinson ( he will have a year to grow into the job ) they feel comfortable ?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    maybe they like what they are seeing from Buddy Johnson ? then adding the athletic but super raw Robinson ( he will have a year to grow into the job ) they feel comfortable ?

Lately, NFL teams have been viewing guys drafted in the first 3 rounds as players that need a clear path to snaps right away. From that perspective, a "high" draft pick at ILB is blocked from snaps by the current Steelers roster. I truly believe that they want the 2022 season to evaluate the long-term viability of Jack and Bush as the ILB tandem. That doesn't leave a ton of snaps for a draft pick to come and soak up.

Likely why they are spamming the position with later round traits flyers.

Senior Member Array title="steelcityboyz has a brilliant future"> steelcityboyz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I'd be fine if they outright cut him.
    I agree. I was never impressed with him when he was healthy.

Senior Member Array title="Orion has a reputation beyond repute"> Orion's Avatar

Bush pre injury looked like a player who's arrow was pointing up. the guy that gave a half assed effort and was avoiding contact last year looked nothing like the same player. he didnt look slow or physically impaired , he looked lazy or scared.
    i was extremely disappointed that tomlin and butler allowed him to play like that week after week.
    he had 109 tackles his rookie year and 70 last year. considering all the RB's that made it into the second level last year you would think those numbers would have been reversed.
    minkah went from 79 tackles in 2020 to 124 in 2021. minkah was forced to make the tackles bush wasnt.

when we signed schobert i went to the jags forum to see what they had to say about it. a poster mentioned his high number of tackles, and other posted responded with , yes he had a lot of tackles but most of them were 7-8 yards past the line of scrimmage. same thing we saw with schobert for his 112 tackles. bush wasnt even making them 7-8 yards down the field. he was usually slow dancing with a blocker , or slowly jogging in the direction of the ball carrier.
    Last edited by Orion; 05-09-2022 at 05:57 PM.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

As was discussed mid-season, every time that the Steelers pulled the plug on Cat Killer, the replacement immediately got injured. And, I mean IMMEDIATELY. For example, if I recall, in one game it was five plays, YANK!!!… and then Murphy’s Law injured Spillane.

Senior Member Array title="Steelerette has much to be proud of"> Steelerette's Avatar

The big question is who gets the green dot. I don't know if Bush is fit for it. But it was a problem for Myles Jack. He went from elite to disappointing for two reasons. One was because the Jags did a terrible job with their 3-4 transition, and another is because they made Jack the defensive leader and suddenly he had to think and direct instead of just play. All that change at once. There's probably a better way to word that but you know what I mean.

This year is sink or swim for Bush. The physical recovery is there. Last year he didn't have the mental recovery. Some players never get it after a big injury. Let's see if he takes the step this year... it's not like Bush wanted to loaf; he was very frustrated at his own play. Which is cause for at least a little guarded optimism.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Merrill Hoge destroyed Bush during his 93.7 interview…lol

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Merrill Hoge destroyed Bush during his 93.7 interview…lol
    https://steelersdepot.com/2022/06/me...otball-player/

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Now THAT is how you tear somebody a new one.

I have to say the whole Bush thing has surprised me. Usually when guys end up like this, it was because you drafted them knowing they were great athletes but had a couple things they needed to work on to make it in the NFL. I never remember hearing that about Bush. It's like either he actually got worse, or he was completely blindsided by the difference. But yeah, he sucked ass last year.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Bush was a good linebacker in his rookie season and got worse year after year. Not the trajectory you want to see especially when it's contract time.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

He also thinks Spillane is an NFL caliber linebacker.

Bush is bad.
    Spillane is not good.
    Hoge is one of my favorite players of all time.
    He’s likely over valuing “grit” here and I’m not sure he’s totally on the right track.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post

Bush is bad.
    Spillane is not good.
    He’s likely over valuing “grit” here and I’m not sure he’s totally on the right track.

in Hoge's era a guy Like Spillane would be highly touted ya know that Chris Spielman type ( not saying Spillane is that good but same sort of play style ) a gritty , hard nosed guy who will hit you with everything he has even if on occasion he takes the worst of it

- - - Updated - - -

Bush is bad.
    Spillane is not good.

in Hoge's era a guy Like Spillane would be highly touted ya know that Chris Spielman type ( not saying Spillane is that good but same sort of play style ) a gritty , hard nosed guy who will hit you with everything he has even if on occasion he takes the worst of it

Schefter: Steelers declined to pick up 5th-year option for LB Devin Bush

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Here’s the actual link so you don’t have to go through the recycled story on Steelers Depot and don’t have to try to get through all the pop ups.

https://www.audacy.com/937thefan/spo...ith-devin-bush

Bush is bad.
    Spillane is not good.
    He’s not wrong though. Spillane is better than Bush and Jack is probably not up to speed yet.

- - - Updated - - -

Sure. But in this era, Spillane is borderline unplayable on defense against even mediocre passing teams.

I absolutely see what Hoge likes about Spillane. It’s what we all like about him. But he should be a special teams player not a core LB.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Spillane is brain that relies on play recognition to react better, but isn't at all athletic. Devin Bush is athletic but has no brain or play recognition.

Put Robert Spillane's brain inside Devin Bush and you have a star Linebacker. Instead they are seperate.
    Last edited by Edman; 06-04-2022 at 11:35 PM.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    Spillane is brain that relies on play recognition to react better, but isn't at all athletic. Devin Bush is athletic but has no brain or play recognition.

Put Robert Spillane's brain inside Devin Bush and you have a star Linebacker. Instead they are seperate.
    We need Dr Hfuhruhurr. STAT!

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post

The Man With 2 Brains!

- - - Updated - - -

The Man With 2 Brains!

- - - Updated - - -

The Man With 2 Brains!

Sure. But in this era, Spillane is borderline unplayable on defense against even mediocre passing teams.

I absolutely see what Hoge likes about Spillane. It’s what we all like about him. But he should be a special teams player not a core LB.
    It unfortunately doesn’t make Hoge’s comment wrong

I do not disagree , but he is a guy you want on the field vs teams like the ravens , who are mediocre at best throwing the ball ... so for special teams play and a backup job and perhaps a significant roll 2 games per season he is worth what we pay him .... just have to hope he doesnt have to play more .... personally I hope Buddy Johnson takes a HUGE leap this year but we will have to wait n see the coaching staff didnt seem to interested in getting him involved last year

- - - Updated - - -

I do not disagree , but he is a guy you want on the field vs teams like the ravens , who are mediocre at best throwing the ball ... so for special teams play and a backup job and perhaps a significant roll 2 games per season he is worth what we pay him .... just have to hope he doesnt have to play more .... personally I hope Buddy Johnson takes a HUGE leap this year but we will have to wait n see the coaching staff didnt seem to interested in getting him involved last year

ILBs Robert Spillane, Buddy Johnson, Mark Robinson, Marcus Allen. The thumper squad. I think 2 will make the 53 and 2 will either get waived or put on PS.

ILBs Devin Bush, Myles Jack, and UG3 are the sideline to sideline guys. All 3 probably make the 53.

Depending on how much this defense plays Nickel, and how many times we see the 3 Safety defense, and overall play/health of our ILBs.

I like this group as a whole but there are some understandable concerns with this room. If Bush and Jack do not play up to their expectations, this will be the weak link to the defense again.

- - - Updated - - -

ILBs Robert Spillane, Buddy Johnson, Mark Robinson, Marcus Allen. The thumper squad. I think 2 will make the 53 and 2 will either get waived or put on PS.

ILBs Devin Bush, Myles Jack, and UG3 are the sideline to sideline guys. All 3 probably make the 53.

Depending on how much this defense plays Nickel, and how many times we see the 3 Safety defense, and overall play/health of our ILBs.

I like this group as a whole but there are some understandable concerns with this room. If Bush and Jack do not play up to their expectations, this will be the weak link to the defense again.

Buddy Johnson isnt slow by any means but for whatever reason he doesnt play as fast as his timed speed of 4.58 in the 40 .... if the brain and the feet would spark a connection we might have something