Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Schefter: Steelers declined to pick up 5th-year option for LB Devin Bush

Senior Member Array title="Orion has a reputation beyond repute"> Orion's Avatar

Re: Schefter: Steelers declined to pick up 5th-year option for LB Devin Bush

i just dont recall Bush being a factor in pass defense. being fast doesnt just make you a good pass defender.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Brian Flores will turn the Cat Killer into a very good ILB.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Brian Flores will turn the Cat Killer into a very good ILB.
    That would be a terrible indictment on the previous coaching staff.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    That would be a terrible indictment on the previous coaching staff.
    Why, I dont think they were responsible for his ACL injury?

I think this year Bush is finally recovered from his ACL and has a chance to return to his rookie form. Flores coaching can help with the technique to play the position, but the athleticism might be similar to his rookie year again.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

And not all players respond the same way from one coach to the next , Flores may get more out of him because they may relate on another level .. Bush is a young guy , Flores while not "YOUNG" per say compared to Bush but is the fountain of youth in comparison to Butler making them potentially more relatable ...
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    And not all players respond the same way from one coach to the next , Flores may get more out of him because they may relate on another level .. Bush is a young guy , Flores while not "YOUNG" per say compared to Bush but is the fountain of youth in comparison to Butler making them potentially more relatable ...
    I still dont get all the bitching about Bush. People giving up on him faster than Bud Dupree, or Lawrence Timmons.

-2019 he has 89 Tackles, 1 sack, 2 INT as a rookie.
    -2020 he blows his ACL in October
    -2021 he doesnt look as fast or quick as he did in 2019(meaning he wasnt recovered fully and probably still had it in his head about tearing it again). Then his coach, Jerry Olsavsky's wife died of cancer in October of 2021, so who knows what kind of coach Jerry O could be with that going on in his world.

-if 2022 brings a recovered Devin Bush, with a coach like Brian Flores who can help a 23 year old guy get back to seeing the field, attacking the football and playing football the way he did in college and as a rookie, then he will have a productive season.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I still dont get all the bitching about Bush. People giving up on him faster than Bud Dupree, or Lawrence Timmons.

-2021 he doesnt look as fast or quick as he did in 2019(meaning he wasnt recovered fully and probably still had it in his head about tearing it again). Then his coach, Jerry Olsavsky's wife died of cancer in October of 2021, so who knows what kind of coach Jerry O could be with that going on in his world.

-if 2022 brings a recovered Devin Bush, with a coach like Brian Flores who can help a 23 year old guy get back to seeing the field, attacking the football and playing football the way he did in college and as a rookie, then he will have a productive season.
    For me, it is because I think Bush is probably pretty dumb. He doesn't appear to have much of a mental picture of the game. I am far too ignorant to diagnose technical issues about how to play the LB position and will not pretend I know what Bush's assignment is on any given play, but he doesn't seem to understand or conceptualize the basic geometry of the game.

Two examples I can think of. One from last season. A RB is running towards the sideline outside the OT. Looking to gain the corner and then cut up-field either along the sideline or towards the middle of the field. Bush had at least one defender, the CB, outside of him to push the RB back towards the middle of the field. There might have been a safety coming down between the boundary and the has as well - no idea from the TV picture. So what does Bush do? He races outside of the RB in an apparent attempt to turn him inside. The RB just lets Bush run on by, cuts back into the space vacated by Bush and gets a nice gain. I am likely wrong, but it would seem that the LB should "know" he has defenders aligned outside of him and it seemed that if Bush would have just attacked the RB instead of galloping on by in a seemingly misguided effort to achieve outside contain, Bush could have made a tackle after a short gain or at least mucked up the play long enough for his teammates to join the party and limit the gain. Long story short -- I knew he defenders outside of him and I am not clever. He is an NFL player who knew what defense was called...how did he not seem to have any idea where his help was?

In his rookie season, he tended to cover TEs and RBs. Often he appeared to be riding the wrong hip or shoulder. Again, this could be way off base, but from the TV broadcast, it would often appear that there would be safety help hanging out behind Bush around the hash marks. Bush would then seem to attach himself to the inside of the receiver....pushing the route away from his help and into open space. Again....I am likely missing something, but that, to me, looks like a player who has a poor understanding of how the overall defense is coordinated and how his role articulates with the others.

Long story short: MojoUW likely wrong. MojoUW currently convinced that Bush is not smart enough to grasp the intricacies of NFL defenses and now that everyone is a physical freak he has nothing to fall back on. MojoUW hopes that Flores can get the kid squared away.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    For me, it is because I think Bush is probably pretty dumb. He doesn't appear to have much of a mental picture of the game. I am far too ignorant to diagnose technical issues about how to play the LB position and will not pretend I know what Bush's assignment is on any given play, but he doesn't seem to understand or conceptualize the basic geometry of the game.

Two examples I can think of. One from last season. A RB is running towards the sideline outside the OT. Looking to gain the corner and then cut up-field either along the sideline or towards the middle of the field. Bush had at least one defender, the CB, outside of him to push the RB back towards the middle of the field. There might have been a safety coming down between the boundary and the has as well - no idea from the TV picture. So what does Bush do? He races outside of the RB in an apparent attempt to turn him inside. The RB just lets Bush run on by, cuts back into the space vacated by Bush and gets a nice gain. I am likely wrong, but it would seem that the LB should "know" he has defenders aligned outside of him and it seemed that if Bush would have just attacked the RB instead of galloping on by in a seemingly misguided effort to achieve outside contain, Bush could have made a tackle after a short gain or at least mucked up the play long enough for his teammates to join the party and limit the gain. Long story short -- I knew he defenders outside of him and I am not clever. He is an NFL player who knew what defense was called...how did he not seem to have any idea where his help was?

In his rookie season, he tended to cover TEs and RBs. Often he appeared to be riding the wrong hip or shoulder. Again, this could be way off base, but from the TV broadcast, it would often appear that there would be safety help hanging out behind Bush around the hash marks. Bush would then seem to attach himself to the inside of the receiver....pushing the route away from his help and into open space. Again....I am likely missing something, but that, to me, looks like a player who has a poor understanding of how the overall defense is coordinated and how his role articulates with the others.

Long story short: MojoUW likely wrong. MojoUW currently convinced that Bush is not smart enough to grasp the intricacies of NFL defenses and now that everyone is a physical freak he has nothing to fall back on. MojoUW hopes that Flores can get the kid squared away.
    Honestly, I cant recall the play of Bush over running a RB, but I am sure it happened. I really didnt see that he had the speed to get outside, but the RB must have not been a fast player and it could have been short side of the field. ILB's tackle inside-out, but if a guy thinks the offensive player is faster than him, then they can take a wider angle and get cut back on. I dont think Bush was recovered to where he had the speed and quickness that he did before the injury. Just my observations.

As for getting on the wrong hip of a receiver. Its actually pretty tough to play ILB and then get to the "outside shoulder" of a TE, RB, or WR running down the seam. And if you do, then you just open the inside of the field for a hook/curl, so having safety help over the top becomes useless. The ILB technique is to run with the receiver underneath in somewhat of a "trail" position to the receiver. That way anything long the Safety can react on over the top.

I watched a lot of Devin Bush at Michigan and what a lot of people call "football instincts", he has. But its really a lot of film study and football intelligence of understanding situational football and seeing things unfold from the pre snap motion to when the ball is snapped. Bush may not split the atom, but he is a smart football player. I think he was not back to full strength and had mental insecurities and fears of re injuring the leg, because it didnt feel normal.

So one way to avoid getting injured, is to take yourself out of the play. If you dont have the speed to catch a RB running to the edge, your take a wider angle and over run the play. But you make it close enough that you dont have to stick an foot in the ground and react to the cut back, because that might blow out your ACL again that hasnt recovered. Just some educated guesses on what could have happened, but I am still hopeful that he will be recovered this year and an impactful player.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Honestly, I cant recall the play of Bush over running a RB, but I am sure it happened. I really didnt see that he had the speed to get outside, but the RB must have not been a fast player and it could have been short side of the field. ILB's tackle inside-out, but if a guy thinks the offensive player is faster than him, then they can take a wider angle and get cut back on. I dont think Bush was recovered to where he had the speed and quickness that he did before the injury. Just my observations.

As for getting on the wrong hip of a receiver. Its actually pretty tough to play ILB and then get to the "outside shoulder" of a TE, RB, or WR running down the seam. And if you do, then you just open the inside of the field for a hook/curl, so having safety help over the top becomes useless. The ILB technique is to run with the receiver underneath in somewhat of a "trail" position to the receiver. That way anything long the Safety can react on over the top.

I watched a lot of Devin Bush at Michigan and what a lot of people call "football instincts", he has. But its really a lot of film study and football intelligence of understanding situational football and seeing things unfold from the pre snap motion to when the ball is snapped. Bush may not split the atom, but he is a smart football player. I think he was not back to full strength and had mental insecurities and fears of re injuring the leg, because it didnt feel normal.

So one way to avoid getting injured, is to take yourself out of the play. If you dont have the speed to catch a RB running to the edge, your take a wider angle and over run the play. But you make it close enough that you dont have to stick an foot in the ground and react to the cut back, because that might blow out your ACL again that hasnt recovered. Just some educated guesses on what could have happened, but I am still hopeful that he will be recovered this year and an impactful player.
    Your last bit makes a lot of sense and could explain a great deal. If that is it, then it should be a fun season to watch Bush rebound.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Bush needs to get mentally right. Watching this guy last year was maddening because on more than a few occasions he actually turned his back to contact which just tells me the guy was playing scared. No room for that if you're an inside backer

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

in fairness he also looked lost in 2021 , several instances where he clearly made no effort and or was shocked the play was there and didnt make it ... honestly no clue what the issue is there because not only did he not look the physical part but his mental aspect seemed gone too .... now maybe its because he is more instinctive than technical in his play style and without his athleticism at 100% it made him look more mentally lost ... idk

that said he is a steeler so I hope he kills it in 2022
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Also, his teammate, Vince Williams, retired, and that may have also had an impact because Schobert was likely learning the defense and really couldn't help Bush much because he was sucking on his own.

Let's hope Flores and a motivated Myles Jack (with a full camp and OTAs) and another year to recover from the injury will help Bush. I hope Bush can ball out this year and get back to that rookie form and put 2021 behind him.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Seems there's a lot of wishful thinking on this page. Good luck with all that.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I think that’s maybe worked out once? Bud Dupree maybe??

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Kind of the same wishful thinking that a QB, who never threw for more than 13 TD in his first 4 seasons at Pitt, with small hands and good but not great arm strength, can be the next franchise QB??

Kind of the same wishful thinking that a QB, who never threw for more than 13 TD in his first 4 seasons at Pitt, with small hands and good but not great arm strength, can be the next franchise QB??
    Or Trubisky standing around watching a physical freak do things he can only dream about resulted in Trubisky developing into a playoff caliber QB...

Betting on the rebounding of Devin Bush into something approximating his rookie year has to have better odds than Trubisky or Pickett being a franchise QB...

Or Trubisky standing around watching a physical freak do things he can only dream about resulted in Trubisky developing into a playoff caliber QB...
    There is something definately credible about taking mental reps and watching a game from the sidelines, as opposed to having the pressure of playcall, alignment, reads, playclock running down, defensive pre snap motion and then having to make the right read and throw.

When you are on the sidelines watching somebody do what you do, you can take a wide angle view of the entire field and not worry about having to actually DO the job, just watch somebody do the job and you can still go thru the mental reads and play yourself. I think Trubisky has a good chance to be a productive QB and that single season with Daboll coaching and being in the Bills system helped.

I also think that a healthy Devin Bush with a good coach can return to the form of his rookie season. If the knee damage permanently limits his speed and athleticism, then that is another issue.

Schefter: Steelers declined to pick up 5th-year option for LB Devin Bush

There is something definately credible about taking mental reps and watching a game from the sidelines, as opposed to having the pressure of playcall, alignment, reads, playclock running down, defensive pre snap motion and then having to make the right read and throw.

When you are on the sidelines watching somebody do what you do, you can take a wide angle view of the entire field and not worry about having to actually DO the job, just watch somebody do the job and you can still go thru the mental reads and play yourself. I think Trubisky has a good chance to be a productive QB and that single season with Daboll coaching and being in the Bills system helped.

I also think that a healthy Devin Bush with a good coach can return to the form of his rookie season. If the knee damage permanently limits his speed and athleticism, then that is another issue.
    Maybe. Maybe if the Bills ran some offense that was QB friendly or something. Or if the crew up there was known for their clockwork precision like the Saints.

But the Bills are pretty set on “Josh Allen Makes It Work” mode. Their 2021 offense came alive when they had Allen basically be the primary ball carrier. Couple that with Allen just making throws few others can and that’s the Bills in summary.

What did Trubisky learn? Hopefully basic mechanics. He lacked those before.

I get the theory. It’s a cool idea. Coaches really believe they have that kind of impact on guys. But it rarely pans out.

I mean Rudolph’s been behind a HOF QB and taking mental reps out the wahzoo and he still sucks.

Let’s also remember that Trubisky still looked bad in super limited opportunities while under the tutelage of Daboll and the influence of Allen.

Kind of, in a way. Bush has had three years in the NFL. Pickett has had none. So the wish-o-meter is a little higher for Pickett, until he proves otherwise. I saw things with Bush last year that I can't unsee. I get your explanation of coming back from injury, but I just don't see the heart and effort to be an elite player, or even above average.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Betting on the rebounding of Devin Bush into something approximating his rookie year has to have better odds than Trubisky or Pickett being a franchise QB...
    I’d take Pickett turning into a resemblance of a franchise QB before I took Bush turning into something. At least there’s hope there…

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I’d take Pickett turning into a resemblance of a franchise QB before I took Bush turning into something. At least there’s hope there…
    I see it fairly opposite. Neither likely live up to their draft promise. But Bush might have the longer career as a “starter”.

All this renewed optimism about Bush. Where was that all last season when everyone was yelling for his benching? I'll need to see it before I believe it.

All this renewed optimism about Bush. Where was that all last season when everyone was yelling for his benching? I'll need to see it before I believe it.
    Bush was legitimately awful last season. Prior to injury he had demonstrated the baseline tools needed to be a successful NFL player. Can he regain the level those tools suggested? No idea. He will need to repeatedly demonstrate that.

As of yet, no QB on the roster has demonstrated NFL tools. Can they ? Sure. Will they? No idea.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Pre-injury Devin Bush was well on his way to earning a 2nd contract. He was making plays in the run game, the passing game, and he was able to get after the QB. This is the Devin Bush we need to see again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvBsr4jl_Ss
    Watch this rookie highlights reel and remember what pre-injury Devin Bush was.

I was not a fan of Bush pre-draft. I did not like moving up to get him at all. But if he can continue to grow as a player and mature as a person, he will be a Steeler for life.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Before Brian Daboll started working with Josh Allen, Allen was on his was to mediocrity. Making things way too simple: Daboll improved Allen’s footwork, and viola!!! Allen was an MVP candidate.

I am certain Trubisky benefitted from a season of Daboll’s coaching. I’ll just leave the hyperboles out of the discussion.

Brian Flores is that good of any ILB coach.

SUMMATION:
    Coaching matters.

Haters love to hate, Steelers fans love to root for the UDFA and hate on any draft pick that isnt a pro bowl player.

Of course we all know what happens when a guy balls out his last year of the contract and moves on to another team for more money. Thats where the optimism was last season.

Haters love to hate, Steelers fans love to root for the UDFA and hate on any draft pick that isnt a pro bowl player.
    I’m pretty sure that’s universal and not just with Steelers fans.

Of course we all know what happens when a guy balls out his last year of the contract and moves on to another team for more money. Thats where the optimism was last season.
    I didn’t notice Bud Dupree’s name on the Pro Bowl roster this past season. Guys who can turn it on for a contract only can move along with my blessing.

Before Brian Daboll started working with Josh Allen, Allen was on his was to mediocrity. Making things way too simple: Daboll improved Allen’s footwork, and viola!!! Allen was an MVP candidate.

I am certain Trubisky benefitted from a season of Daboll’s coaching. I’ll just leave the hyperboles out of the discussion.

SUMMATION:
    Coaching matters.
    I guess we'll see if they both end up on the bench after 3 games. Or maybe MT, DB and Daniel Jones all make All-Pro.

SUMMATION:
    Coaching matters.
    The “raw” talent/physical ability gap between Allen and Trubisky prior to Daboll getting his hands on either one was pretty large.

Which, while that leaves me pessimistic about Trubisky, it generates optimism on Bush.

Bush has better tools than several LBs that Flores made look amazing while in NE.

Or maybe MT, DB and Daniel Jones all make All-Pro.
    Hyperbole

- - - Updated - - -

The “raw” talent/physical ability gap between Allen and Trubisky prior to Daboll getting his hands on either one was pretty large.
    You don’t say…