Thread: Had the Steelers not picked Pickett at #20, which team would have likely drafted him?

Senior Member Array title="saturdaysarebetter will become famous soon enough">

Had the Steelers not picked Pickett at #20, which team would have likely drafted him?

Had the Steelers not picked Pickett at #20, which team would have likely drafted him? Would he have lasted into the second round?

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Re: Had the Steelers not picked Pickett at #20, which team would have likely drafted him?

Yes, he would have gone into the second around and Tampa (#33), Tennessee (#35), Houston (#37), or Atlanta (#38) would have picked him. Remember Atlanta was the next team to pick a QB (Ridder at #74). But Seattle had two picks, Houston two picks and Detroit and New Orleans before us at #52 so I don't think he would have survived that long but who knows ...

Had we not picked him I would have been happy with Tyler Linderbaum or Quay Walker (in that order).

But the way I look at it now we have a QB, RB, TE, two WR's that are all in their first two years. We know how good Najee and Pat are now let's hope the new guys can just be added in. We have DJ, Claypool, Pickens and Speedie Gonzalez in our 4 WR set with a young QB that can move (either Trubisky or Pickett) and throw unlike the stationary broken down 39 year old Ben. Good luck covering all of that.

I don't even care if this year is a learning year and we end up 8-8-1 (can't let Tomlin have a losing season). It should be exciting to see a young QB under center again that can play. As much as Ben was loved he should have retired after his elbow injury.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Re: Had the Steelers not picked Pickett at #20, which team would have likely drafted him?

A team would have taken him near the end of R1. Likely the Lions, but maybe a team like Indy trades up into R1. But there’s no way of knowing.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Houston, New Orleans, or Carolina would've taken him the next time around. Regardless, if the Steelers skipped over Pickett, he wouldn't be there at 52, unless they were willing to make a trade.

Hell, the reason the Steelers even signed Trubisky as a contigency plan was because every mock had Pickett gone before 20 but he fell right to them. He was the guy they wanted, and they got him.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Rumors are that the Titans would have selected him in round one. Either way, it's irrelevant, he was the Steelers guy.

Senior Member Array title="ETL has a reputation beyond repute"> ETL's Avatar

Someone would have taken him in Round 1 to have the 5th yr option available

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ETL View Post
    Someone would have taken him in Round 1 to have the 5th yr option available
    The fifth-year option for QB contracts sucks now. It's like $23 million for one year and will only go up from here. At that point, it's not even worth it - you're not paying that much for a "trial year" if you don't already know whether he's any good.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Yeah the 5th year only helps now if the QB borderline sucks and you need one more year to find out for sure. If they're really good they demand an extension after year 3 or hold out/demand a trade.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

the better question is had he been taken prior to 20 what QB was the steelers taking ? they basically said they were taking a qb he was their highest rated and they were surprised he was there ....

so who was next on their radar cause most of us believed it was going to be Howell or Willis with a slight chance of Ridder ............
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

The world may never know…

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

My source told me that the Chiefs were going to trade Mahomes in order to move up to 21 to acquire Pickett…

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    My source told me that the Chiefs were going to trade Mahomes in order to move up to 21 to acquire Pickett…
    My source says chargers were going to trade Herbert and 5 first round picks to move to 21

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    A team would have taken him near the end of R1. Likely the Lions, but maybe a team like Indy trades up into R1. But there’s no way of knowing.

I do not buy it ....

I do not think anyone would have taken him , lets face it all the others dropped like a rock when we seen mocks with 5 QBs going in round 1 and mocks with zero going in round 1 .... considering all the other teams passed I would think they would have passed with Pickett as well ( 19 did prior to the steelers pick )

if Steelers do not take him round 1 good chance he could have still been there round 2
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

14 teams in the 1st 19 picks. Doesn't mean teams weren't trying to trade up. Just means they didn't succeed. Truth is we will never know for sure. The Steelers didn't trade up or down and got the QB they wanted. I don't need to know any more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    I do not buy it ....

I do not think anyone would have taken him , lets face it all the others dropped like a rock when we seen mocks with 5 QBs going in round 1 and mocks with zero going in round 1 .... considering all the other teams passed I would think they would have passed with Pickett as well ( 19 did prior to the steelers pick )

if Steelers do not take him round 1 good chance he could have still been there round 2
    You're saying that because your guy you wanted at 1:20 dropped all the way to the 5th round. Almost all of the evaluators had Pickett in their top 30. It wasn't a reach.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    14 teams in the 1st 19 picks. Doesn't mean teams weren't trying to trade up. Just means they didn't succeed. Truth is we will never know for sure. The Steelers didn't trade up or down and got the QB they wanted. I don't need to know any more than that.
    I'm pretty sure that the word from the Steelers is that they did try to trade up to take Pickett.