Thread: Steelers sign veteran safety Damontae Kazee to a 1 year deal

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Steelers sign veteran safety Damontae Kazee to a 1 year deal

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: Steelers sign veteran safety Damontae Kazee to a 1 year deal

Darkside Defense!!!

Senior Member Array title="Bluecoat96 has a reputation beyond repute"> Bluecoat96's Avatar

Many of you on here can probably give a much more informed opinion about the Steelers offseason than me, but I feel like Steelers have gotten A LOT better. It certainly isn't a perfect off-season, but they have certainly put some work in.

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk
    http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1850/7714131/15251346/321617073.jpg

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Edmunds and Kazee at the end of the season…

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Minkah
    Edmunds
    Norwood
    Kazee
    Killebrew(ST)

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Super Bowl!

Senior Member Array title="Steelerette has much to be proud of"> Steelerette's Avatar

Okay, we didn't get a CB in the draft, and this guy's a free safety so I guess the DB room is shaping up like

SS Terrell Edmunds
    SS Karl Joseph
    FS Minkah Fitzpatrick
    FS Damontae Kazee

LCB Ahkello Witherspoon
    LCB James Pierre (or Arthur Maulet?)
    RCB Levi Wallace
    RCB Cameron Sutton
    RCB Tre Norwood

With these guys now on the outside looking in:

SS Miles Killebrew
    SS Donovan Stiner
    FS Linden Stephens
    CB Chris Steele
    CB Bryce Watts
    CB Arthur Maulet (or James Pierre?)
    CB Justin Layne
    CB Isaiah Johnson

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerette View Post
    Okay, we didn't get a CB in the draft, and this guy's a free safety so I guess the DB room is shaping up like

SS Terrell Edmunds
    SS Karl Joseph
    FS Minkah Fitzpatrick
    FS Damontae Kazee

LCB Ahkello Witherspoon
    LCB James Pierre (or Arthur Maulet?)
    RCB Levi Wallace
    RCB Cameron Sutton
    RCB Tre Norwood

With these guys now on the outside looking in:

SS Miles Killebrew
    SS Donovan Stiner
    FS Linden Stephens
    CB Chris Steele
    CB Bryce Watts
    CB Arthur Maulet (or James Pierre?)
    CB Justin Layne
    CB Isaiah Johnson
    Norwood is listed on our depth chart as a safety. Do you think he’ll be primarily used as a corner? Either way, he’s almost certain to make the team. He’s versatile and has shown signs of nice potential.

I’m definitely considered about our secondary depth overall. I probably like Edmunds more than most people and think he and Minkah should be a pretty good starting tandem this year. Hopefully they stay healthy. I’m not really sure what to think about our CB situation. I really wish Layne would play up to the potential we saw when we drafted him. But as of now, he’s far from a starter and not a lock to even make the team.

Senior Member Array title="Steelerette has much to be proud of"> Steelerette's Avatar

Yes, Norwood is a CB/FS versatile, and was previously grouped with the safeties, but with the addition of Kazee doesn't have to be relied on as primary FS depth anymore. He'll be on the roster; what to call his position is semantics.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Killebrew sticks for STs.

But the lost Stiner brother might be in trouble.

I had a hard time cutting Killebrew for that reason, but we got a couple more STs guys now. With the group we have, also had a hard time keeping him. We going to have 5-6 Safeties? We keep him, who else goes?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerette View Post
    I had a hard time cutting Killebrew for that reason, but we got a couple more STs guys now. With the group we have, also had a hard time keeping him. We going to have 5-6 Safeties? We keep him, who else goes?
    Weird thought….but Marcus Allen. In a pinch, killebrrw can do Marcus Allen things.

I should look over your 53 man roster post. I likely can’t count correctly.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Weird thought….but Marcus Allen. In a pinch, killebrrw can do Marcus Allen things.

I should look over your 53 man roster post. I likely can’t count correctly.
    I think Marcus Allen only makes the team as an ILB. And maybe not even that. I’m not sure if cutting him actually opens a safety spot.

Are the practice squad rules staying the same as last year? If so we could probably stash some of these guys there without worry.

Agreed. Go short at ILB. LOng at safety. It made sense in my head. But the proposed 53 may not have room.

It’s a good problem. They appear to have better depth heading to camp than they did last year.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I always thought of Kazee as a slot CB and at 5'11" 185lbs I still think that is what he is. Really a veteran version of Norwood and a tenacious cover guy. I think the luxury of not having Millions of $$ tied up in your QB position allows to have a lot of veteran competition and that is what Kazee, Killebrew, Joseph bring to that spot along with Norwood.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

we heard a lot about this 3 Safety defense a few years back and never really did see it ....

well now might be the time ... Kazee was a decent corner before being moved to safety so he does have cover skills and well Minkah is Minkah and Edmunds can be a TE eraser
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now