Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steelers select QB Chris Oladokun #241 overall

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: Steelers select QB Chris Oladokun #241 overall

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    I guess that makes sense. After reading the article that Dwins posted it does appear that several teams were interested in him.

Maybe the Steelers figure that 3 question mark QBs are better than 2. I’m no math wizard but by my calculations it makes your odds 1 better.

What do you think we’ll get for Rudolph? A 6th or 7th? We might have to throw in a lesser Watt brother to seal the deal.
    Honestly… he’ll stay, because the rookie can still go onto the practice squad.

That said, if they want to cut salary, after the preseason, there’s always a team that suddenly needs a QB. In desperation, I could see that team giving up a conditional R6 pick (that turns into a R5 depending on playing time).

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Honestly… he’ll stay, because the rookie can still go onto the practice squad.

That said, if they want to cut salary, after the preseason, there’s always a team that suddenly needs a QB. In desperation, I could see that team giving up a conditional R6 pick (that turns into a R5 depending on playing time).
    I honestly think Mason needs to beat out Trubisky (probably not happening) to keep his spot on the team, he’s making a lot of money for a #3

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    I honestly think Mason needs to beat out Trubisky (probably not happening) to keep his spot on the team, he’s making a lot of money for a #3
    I agree with you. Teegre could be right that they wait until the end of preseason to see if a team suddenly has need for a solid back up who will most likely never be anything but. I feel kind of bad for Rudolph but then again if he’s ever going to be more than he is, he’s probably better off competing on a different team.

It will be weird going into the season with an entirely different QB room than the year before. I wonder when the last time that happened was.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    Okay, but I guess I’ll ask the same question everyone else seems to be asking: couldn’t you get an UDFA for the same purpose?

Maybe a better question (since I honestly have no idea): since Tomlin likes this particular guy, would he not have most likely been available in the final round or as an UDFA? I mean Carson Strong went undrafted. Was this guy higher up on most people’s draft boards?
    I tend to lean the same way as you do...however, if they have a salary cap plan and they want to fill the QB room, then it makes some sense that they would draft this kid and put him on the roster as the third QB. If they have him rated higher than some of the other guys, that would be why they draft him. Now that have three guys with good to great mobility. I need to watch more of him throwing but from what I saw, he throws a very ugly ball to the point that Duck Hodges would have a field day out in the woods with this guys passes...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I tend to lean the same way as you do...however, if they have a salary cap plan and they want to fill the QB room, then it makes some sense that they would draft this kid and put him on the roster as the third QB. If they have him rated higher than some of the other guys, that would be why they draft him. Now that have three guys with good to great mobility. I need to watch more of him throwing but from what I saw, he throws a very ugly ball to the point that Duck Hodges would have a field day out in the woods with this guys passes...

Oladokun works out with Diontae Johnson in the offseason. He competed against DJ in high school, and they get together to stay sharp in the offseason.

I think this would help explain a possible connection. They may have gotten wind of this kid through DJ, looked into him a bit, and got a real good read on him and decided he was worth a look.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I can’t find two reports that say the same thing on this kid. He apparently has a rocket arm or a noodle arm. He’s fast but slow.

They are going to run out of reps at some point.

Trubisky will need a bunch to learn the offense.
    Pickett for that plus NFL development.
    Rudolph to get better.
    This guy for the same reasons as Pickett.

At some point in the off-season cycle, it just seems like someone will have to go to free up reps for others.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Watch him win the starting job [sarcasm].

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    Oladokun works out with Diontae Johnson in the offseason. He competed against DJ in high school, and they get together to stay sharp in the offseason.

I think this would help explain a possible connection. They may have gotten wind of this kid through DJ, looked into him a bit, and got a real good read on him and decided he was worth a look.
    That makes some sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Lets just face it that Trubisky and Pickett will be QB1 and QB2. If the Steelers are good with those 2 thru camp and want the insurance of Rudolph, they try and put Oladokun on the PS. If they feel good with Oladokun they will try and deal Rudolph for a conditional Meatball sub from Subway(upgraded to a combo if he plays 10 snaps) and plan for Oladokun to be the #3 and scout team QB for any mobile QB's they face on a weekly basis.

Member Array title="SteelerCountry58 has a spectacular aura about"> SteelerCountry58's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Lets just face it that Trubisky and Pickett will be QB1 and QB2. If the Steelers are good with those 2 thru camp and want the insurance of Rudolph, they try and put Oladokun on the PS. If they feel good with Oladokun they will try and deal Rudolph for a conditional Meatball sub from Subway(upgraded to a combo if he plays 10 snaps) and plan for Oladokun to be the #3 and scout team QB for any mobile QB's they face on a weekly basis.
    That’s how I feel as well.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

I low key wouldn’t mind seeing this dude succeed in the NFL cause his name kinda sounds like Hadouken

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerCountry58 View Post
    That’s how I feel as well.
    Yup, if the Steelers felt that Mason Rudolph: "just needs a better chance to prove himself", or "needs starters reps and can be productive", etc. They would not have got Trubisky in free agency, spent their #1 pick on Pickett and their #7 pick on a kid that can be a "camp arm" or "scout team QB". They know that Rudolph is at best a #2 QB in the league and Trubisky-Pickett are both better than him.

For those that think the Steelers need to dump Rudolph's salary, I dont see it as a real expensive salary as far as backup QB's go, so in the grand scheme if the contract is on the books for a season and then done in 2023, it really doesnt matter much. But just like they got a draft pick for Dobbs, its not like they cant do that with the #4 QB in this years competition.

Senior Member Array title="Steelerette has much to be proud of"> Steelerette's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    For those that think the Steelers need to dump Rudolph's salary, I dont see it as a real expensive salary as far as backup QB's go, so in the grand scheme if the contract is on the books for a season and then done in 2023, it really doesnt matter much. But just like they got a draft pick for Dobbs, its not like they cant do that with the #4 QB in this years competition.
    Even though they don't *need* to dump Rudolph's salary... if Oladokun shows himself a fair enough QB3, then it's a free 4 million dollars. Which they can find plenty of use for. They can go into camp and preseason and wait for a QB injury... maybe it happens to us and we need Mason for the year. Maybe it happens to team X and we get a 5th rounder for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerette View Post
    Even though they don't *need* to dump Rudolph's salary... if Oladokun shows himself a fair enough QB3, then it's a free 4 million dollars. Which they can find plenty of use for. They can go into camp and preseason and wait for a QB injury... maybe it happens to us and we need Mason for the year. Maybe it happens to team X and we get a 5th rounder for him.
    Rudolph's base salary for the season is $ 3million. His guarantee money is $1.04 million. So if they cut him before the season its $3 million savings. The team cap is $208 million so its a rather insignificant amount of money to have an experienced #3 on the roster.

The reality is that there are 3 mobile QB's in the room right now and 1 that is not. The Steelers have seen enough of Rudolph that they have made alternate plans going forward that dont include him being on the roster in 2023, if not sooner.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

It’s time for Mason to follow the career path of one Landry Jones. Maybe he can find work in the USFL/XFL…

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar