Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers select WR Calvin Austin

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Steelers select WR Calvin Austin

Senior Member Array title="Steelerette has much to be proud of"> Steelerette's Avatar

Re: Steelers select WR Calvin Austin

Little hands need a little target. Makes sense 100%

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Impressive RAS #s. This is probably my favorite pick of the draft. They needed speed desperately. He is extremely explosive and shifty. Defenses will have to account for him because he is a threat to take it to the house.

One thing his college tape won't show is Austin taking hits from NFL caliber players on a consistent basis. If his body can withstand the contact then I think we have a hell of a football player here.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

^^^Austin’s route tree^^^

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Sauce Gardner stated that Calvin Austin III was the most difficult receiver he had to cover.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Well done. I like this pick. Good football player and speed kills.

Steelers clearly on the side of "draft WR's to play thru their rookie contract, as opposed to paying $20million for guys on their 2nd or 3rd contracts".

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Sauce Gardner stated that Calvin Austin III was the most difficult receiver he had to cover.
    Sweet!!

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

I don’t know anything about most college players, including this guy. If you guys are happy with the pick then I am, but isn’t it kind of weird to draft two WRs? How many WRs will be on the final roster? I assume we think that both of these guys are better than anyone we currently have other than DJ and Claypool. Otherwise I think it might be a mistake.

Do we think he was objectively the BPA?

They were definitely taking two receivers in this draft. Most thought the second one would be drafted in R6/R7, but after so many came off of the board in the first three rounds, this makes sense.

Plus, DJ is in a contract year…

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

one of my favorite players in this draft .........................
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    I don’t know anything about most college players, including this guy. If you guys are happy with the pick then I am, but isn’t it kind of weird to draft two WRs? How many WRs will be on the final roster? I assume we think that both of these guys are better than anyone we currently have other than DJ and Claypool. Otherwise I think it might be a mistake.

Do we think he was objectively the BPA?
    I think after DJ and Claypool, they basically didn’t have any NFL caliber WRs. Miller couldn’t get on the field last year. White seems to not excite them. Gunner isn’t a WR it seems. Boykin is a question mark.

There’s a ton of snaps and targets up for grabs.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

He’s going to want a big contract in 4 years then the FO is gonna be like who do you think you are, George Pickens?

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

[IMG][/IMG]

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="ETL has a reputation beyond repute"> ETL's Avatar

Read today that Ravens wanted to draft him just after we picked him up. Feels good that he’s playing for us and not someone that our corners have to cover for years to come

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

^^^Austin’s route tree^^^
    Sorry I blew up your mom Teegre.

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    Sorry I blew up your mom Teegre.

You owe me twooo dollllllaaaaaarrrrs!!!

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

There has been two narratives about Steelers and WRs floating around here for the last ten years or so.

1. Colbert and the scouting brain trust are really good at identifying and drafting WRs.
    2. Ben Roethlisberger and his accuracy, timing, and placement were heavily influential in those WRs success. Evidenced mainly by the lack of success those WRs had when they left town.

I guess we are going to find out? I acknowledge that both can be true...but it will be interesting to see how these new WRs and the existing ones succeed or don't with some combination of Pickett and Trubisky toss balls around.

Was Ben really that accurate? I don’t remember hearing a lot of announcers talk about that aspect.

I think Ben took chances and every now and then he hit on those chances. (I.e. Sammie Coates going long ) and so those splash plays got highlighted but there wasn’t much about accuracy in my view.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ETL View Post
    Was Ben really that accurate? I don’t remember hearing a lot of announcers talk about that aspect.

I think Ben took chances and every now and then he hit on those chances. (I.e. Sammie Coates going long ) and so those splash plays got highlighted but there wasn’t much about accuracy in my view.
    On the flip side…Antonio Brown was almost non-existent without Ben playing…

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by ETL View Post

I dunno. I was just point out two popular and prevalent discussion points about these parts.

Ben is going to walk into the HOF. So there is a high % chance he is more accurate or whatever you want to call it than Trubisky, Rudolph, or Maddox.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I dunno. I was just point out two popular and prevalent discussion points about these parts.

Ben is going to walk into the HOF. So there is a high % chance he is more accurate or whatever you want to call it than Trubisky, Rudolph, or Maddox.
    jup. ben’s a hall of famer for a reason and we were lucky to have him.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Calvin Austin vs MissState: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fV7Qam87-pk
    A good look at vs press and off-man coverage. Routes are not crisp cuts/more rounded at times. Not going to be a significant blocker at his size.

Austin vs ArkState: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYL95TED1us
    This film shows off the speed/YAC ability.

Austin vs UTSA:...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYL95TED1us
    Not a great game film from a study viewpoint since Austin is out of frame most snaps. Still a couple good routes and so much speed/YAC.

Austin vs SMU: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMhKCU6-Tyo
    (2020)Really just for the one redzone play. Austin catches a short slant/curl then jukes a guy off his feet before taking it into the EZ. Short area agility on display.

Austin vs Tulsa: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRTosJaBTwA
    This one is fun because you get to see Austin win contested balls as well as show a little power to fall forward.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Moats said DBs are getting eaten alive by both the rookie WR's the problem is many many many off target balls

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    Moats said DBs are getting eaten alive by both the rookie WR's the problem is many many many off target balls
    But I thought Trubisky got so much better watching from the sidelines in Buffalo! The internet told me!

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    But I thought Trubisky got so much better watching from the sidelines in Buffalo! The internet told me!
    Trubisky never had an accurate long ball. So he's probably late stage Ben Roethlisberger with more mobility. The guy has a decent arm but can't really hit his target downfield

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Trubisky never had an accurate long ball. The guy is dink and dunk with a little bit of mobility
    Pretty much. And he’s prone to wild misfires on the dink and dunk as well. He’s just not very good.