Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Steelers Select QB Kenny Pickett With 2022 First Round Pick

Senior Member Array title="ETL has a reputation beyond repute"> ETL's Avatar

Re: Steelers Select QB Kenny Pickett With 2022 First Round Pick

The almighty Aaron Rodgers after sitting and watching on the bench for 3 years and studying and observing and soaking in everything, finally got a chance to start in year 4 as a pro and went ..

6-10.

Guys like Aikman and Peyton Manning also sucked it up their first year. so please have patience with Kenny. Don’t kill Kenny.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

^Kenny has the misfortune of following in Ben’s footsteps who jumped off the bench and performed right away. Not everyone can do that, not even some of the eventual greats like Manning and Rodgers. Not to mention Elway and Bradshaw himself (who had a few rough years that would make Mason look like a stud in comparison). There’s not a lot of patience these days with QB’s unfortunately - KP may - will have some bad games but he’s got to show the ability to bounce back the following week, I think the coaches will be looking for that.

we Steeler fans have become an impatient bunch since the Ben era

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

If/when Pickett wins the starting job does Trubisky become trade bait? There has been talk on here about trading MR, but MT would have more trade value at this point I think. Some team has a QB injury in TC and suddenly there's a market?

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    If/when Pickett wins the starting job does Trubisky become trade bait? There has been talk on here about trading MR, but MT would have more trade value at this point I think. Some team has a QB injury in TC and suddenly there's a market?
    If/when Pickett wins the starting job, does he just keep rolling or does he struggle in 4 or 5 games which requires the need for a competent backup to start some games?

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    ^Kenny has the misfortune of following in Ben’s footsteps who jumped off the bench and performed right away. Not everyone can do that, not even some of the eventual greats like Manning and Rodgers. Not to mention Elway and Bradshaw himself (who had a few rough years that would make Mason look like a stud in comparison). There’s not a lot of patience these days with QB’s unfortunately - KP may - will have some bad games but he’s got to show the ability to bounce back the following week, I think the coaches will be looking for that.

we Steeler fans have become an impatient bunch since the Ben era
    Ben played in an extremely conservative offense with a strong run game and three great/good wide receivers (One a future HOF) who could get open and make plays. Ben often went entire games throwing only 15 passes. Ben performed when he could. But let's not act like he was some pro bowler lighting up the stat line.

Alas, our microwave society demands instant results.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    If/when Pickett wins the starting job, does he just keep rolling or does he struggle in 4 or 5 games which requires the need for a competent backup to start some games?
    I don't think they would pull him in that scenario.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Recent NFL QB development success stories have demonstrated that once the rookie goes in the lineup for non injury reasons, then he should stay in. Yo-yo between two or more guys just hasn’t worked.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I don't think they would pull him in that scenario.
    I saw an article comparing this group of Rudolph, Trubisky, Pickett to the 90's QB competition of Jim Miller, Mike Tomczak and Kordell Stewart.

I think if there is no clear cut winner, they definitely keep Trubisky around. Even if Pickett wins the job. He is on a cheap contract and has the best experience of all in the room. Mason Rudolph is a dead man walking IMO.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Jim Miller always looked really promising in the preseason but never could duplicate that when the real season started

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Jim Miller always looked really promising in the preseason but never could duplicate that when the real season started
    Yikes…Jim Miller…

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I saw an article comparing this group of Rudolph, Trubisky, Pickett to the 90's QB competition of Jim Miller, Mike Tomczak and Kordell Stewart.

I think if there is no clear cut winner, they definitely keep Trubisky around. Even if Pickett wins the job. He is on a cheap contract and has the best experience of all in the room. Mason Rudolph is a dead man walking IMO.
    That's because that's the last time there was an open competition for the starter's job.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Recent NFL QB development success stories have demonstrated that once the rookie goes in the lineup for non injury reasons, then he should stay in. Yo-yo between two or more guys just hasn’t worked.
    Yeah that setup in Miami a couple years ago with Tua and Fitz was really weird! I hope Flores doesn't offer any opinions about the QB competition.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    Ben played in an extremely conservative offense with a strong run game and three great/good wide receivers (One a future HOF) who could get open and make plays. Ben often went entire games throwing only 15 passes. Ben performed when he could. But let's not act like he was some pro bowler lighting up the stat line.

Alas, our microwave society demands instant results.
    he was good enough to take over the starting spot. Going from no 3 to no 1. I know some people harp on Maddox but he wasn’t that bad - he was comeback player of the year a season or two earlier. And Batch is a solid no 2.

What Ben did that year was pretty amazing

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Re: The Steelers select QB Kenny Pickett with the 20th pick

Not a single thing not to like about KP's approach.

https://triblive.com/sports/kenny-pi...arting-qb-job/

ROY!!!

ROY!!!
    Super Bowl MVP

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

he was good enough to take over the starting spot.
    Ben was good enough to be a backup to Maddox, which he was going to be until Maddox got hurt. Ben came in and seized the opportunity.

If Maddox doesn't get hurt in 2004 and Ben just rode the bench, who wants to bet Ben would've been roasted by Steeler fans for being a bust and a wasted pick for not replacing Maddox?

Ben was good enough to be a backup to Maddox, which he was going to be until Maddox got hurt. Ben came in and seized the opportunity.

If Maddox doesn't get hurt in 2004 and Ben just rode the bench, who wants to bet Ben would've been roasted by Steeler fans for being a bust and a wasted pick for not replacing Maddox?
    Maybe, but in context, we weren't expecting a QB in the draft and we were happy with Maddox. So, while excitement abounded, I don't think the expectations were there for Ben to carry us that first year. On top of that, most Steelers fans knew that Cowher's run-first, run always mindset was still driving the team. We weren't nearly as dependent on a QB as we are now.

Senior Member Array title="ETL has a reputation beyond repute"> ETL's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Maybe, but in context, we weren't expecting a QB in the draft and we were happy with Maddox. So, while excitement abounded, I don't think the expectations were there for Ben to carry us that first year. On top of that, most Steelers fans knew that Cowher's run-first, run always mindset was still driving the team. We weren't nearly as dependent on a QB as we are now.
    i remember that the Steelers loved Philip Rivers that year and I was initially disappointed that the Giants took him so drafting a QB was on many people’s minds. I was very happy they drafted Ben.

Quote Originally Posted by ETL View Post
    i remember that the Steelers loved Philip Rivers that year and I was initially disappointed that the Giants took him so drafting a QB was on many people’s minds. I was very happy they drafted Ben.
    I heard Ben on the Jim Rome show and he just had a great competitive attitude. I was good with them drafting him and personally thought that throwing motion of Rivers was gonna hurt his game in the NFL and possibly physically. It looked like it put such stress on the elbow.

I'm fine with Pickett and see how things roll, but still like the Matt Hasselbeck comparison, so am not thinking the Steelers got a future HOF guy, but a good future QB.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

I heard Ben on the Jim Rome show and he just had a great competitive attitude. I was good with them drafting him and personally thought that throwing motion of Rivers was gonna hurt his game in the NFL and possibly physically. It looked like it put such stress on the elbow.

I'm fine with Pickett and see how things roll, but still like the Matt Hasselbeck comparison, so am not thinking the Steelers got a future HOF guy, but a good future QB.
    Well the last couple years (and the next few) we are built to make a run with just above average QB play honestly. We will be relying on our defense to keep us in games and our QBs to not lose them.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I reeeeeeally wanted Ben. When he was drafted, I cheered like we had won a Super Bowl.

I think Ben would’ve taken over as starter if not during that season then the next season. His talents were undeniable. Injuries just gave him a sooner than expected opportunity

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

I found this to be somewhat surprising:

Kenny Pickett currently has the 4th highest selling jersey in the NFL

Kenny Pickett’s No. 8 Pittsburgh Steelers jersey is a hot commodity right now with fans.

By Jeff.Hartman Jun 30, 2022

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...fl-news-update

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    I found this to be somewhat surprising:

Kenny Pickett currently has the 4th highest selling jersey in the NFL

Kenny Pickett’s No. 8 Pittsburgh Steelers jersey is a hot commodity right now with fans.

By Jeff.Hartman Jun 30, 2022

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...fl-news-update

eh I'll at least wait until he's a starter. there's a chance he might sit the entire first season if he doesn't impress

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    I reeeeeeally wanted Ben. When he was drafted, I cheered like we had won a Super Bowl.
    I really wanted him too. But, we took Gallery instead.

- - - Updated - - -

I wouldn't be too hard on Pickett. He may just be exactly what you need. Following a guy like Ben is not going to be easy... or enviable by any new guy. The fans need to be patient. Easier said than done, I know.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by silver & black View Post
    I really wanted him too. But, we took Gallery instead.
    Living in San Diego, I always get on Chargers fans for not taking Larry Fitzgerald. That said, I guess it could have been worse…

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Living in San Diego, I always get on Chargers fans for not taking Larry Fitzgerald. That said, I guess it could have been worse…
    I don't know... Gallery was damned near a bust. He was a better than average guard, but he was being paid LT money.

Quote Originally Posted by silver & black View Post
    I don't know... Gallery was damned near a bust. He was a better than average guard, but he was being paid LT money.
    Taking Ben in 2004 would have meant NOT drafting JaWalrus Russell in 2007…

Are you sure you want to give that up?

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Kenny's gonna be better than Ben, change my mind