Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers Select QB Kenny Pickett With 2022 First Round Pick

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Re: The Steelers select QB Kenny Pickett with the 20th pick

They signed Trubisky because there was no guarantee that a QB would be available at #20, and they needed something of a "security blanket" at the position for next season. Not hard to figure out.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    This makes the Trubisky signing looks even worse in hindsight, but then again, so one expected Dwayne Haskins to cease existance by this time either. The Steelers' QB room is now Mason Rudolph, and a more expensive Mason Rudolph.

I think if Haskins is still on this planet, Pickett doesn't get drafted tonight.
    I’ve ranted and raved on here previously about why I absolutely HATE the process of sign bridge vet, draft shiny rookie QB, and then end up with a wasted year of toggling between the bridge and the rookie.

It is a well worn path to mediocrity at best.

At least the new GM can just blame Colbert.

Reminds me of this: https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...-840fc6956766/

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    They signed Trubisky because there was no guarantee that a QB would be available at #20, and they needed something of a "security blanket" at the position for next season. Not hard to figure out.
    Wait… don’t all starting QBs make about the same as kickers???

Senior Member Array title="Orion has a reputation beyond repute"> Orion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    This is the exact nonsense thinking that drives me up a wall about NFL teams...

Sign Trubisky to be your "bridge" and then draft a QB whose best quality you can talk about is his "pro ready" nature because of the style of offense he was in? The offense that it took him 5 years to flourish in?

WTF is the point of a "bridge QB" if your priority is a draft QB who can play "now" but has a low overall ceiling?

Sign the "bridge to nowhere QB" so you can take the bigger swing on one of the QBs in the class who has actual upside to develop into something beyond Ryan Tannehill with gloves.
    i dont remember hearing colbert with the "pro ready" talk , or upside talk. i only heard that shit from the talking heads and the people who parroted it that weren't in a draft room today. you know..all those people who had 3,4, 5 QB's going in the first round. those experts ...

- - - Updated - - -

does this make rudolf expendable now ? no point in paying him and trubisky. ditch rudy and pick up an undrafted qb and spend that 3 million savings elsewhere..

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

True, i think Trubisky is like the present day Maddox (security or bridge QB) and Pickett takes the place of the previous 1st round QB pick, this just all happened in the same off season

.........Steelers are 2-1 with QB's taken in the 1st, (Malone was a bottom 1st) just hope the solid judgement on 1st round QB's continues.....

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

There’s something to be said about guys who have to try hard (to make it). There’s no quit in Pickett. He’s not the most talented guy, but he got better every year…

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="Orion has a reputation beyond repute"> Orion's Avatar

colbert /tomlin press conference

Senior Member Array title="ETL has a reputation beyond repute"> ETL's Avatar

If he can make the reads like Rodgers then he’ll be fine. He is taller than Rodgers and runs faster. The hand size doesn’t bother me. He just needs to make the reads and be accurate.

I know he is older but I am totally ok if he sits a year or two (yes two). Aaron Rodgers sat 3 years with zero starts and went 6-10 in his first year. Players like Ben, Mahomes and Russell Wilson who win SBs in year 2 and 3 are rare.

this year needs to be Mitch’s year

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Exactly. So Trubisky, Pickett and Rudolph make the 53. It's Rudolph's last season in B&G and if Pickett is ready in 2023 to beat out Mitch for the job, he will.

I compared Pickett to Matt Hasselbeck, so we will see if he pans out to be that QB or not. I'm just happy the Malik Willis stuff was smoke.

Tomlin said he will be allowed to compete, so nobody is penciled in for starter.

I’m sure by sometime tomorrow I’ll be all aboard the Pickett train.

I’ll take tonight and kick rocks about it.

At least we know they got their guy. Had the pick of any of them.

Senior Member Array title="ETL has a reputation beyond repute"> ETL's Avatar

Re: Steelers Select QB Kenny Pickett With 2022 First Round Pick

I’ll warm up to Pickett over time. He’s a Steeler now and he gets all the benefit of doubt and full support.

let’s go Kenny!

I think Tomlin chose him because of his leadership abilities. I heard that at the senior bowl - guys naturally made him the leader. He is the alpha of the alphas.

Senior Member Array title="Steelerette has much to be proud of"> Steelerette's Avatar

Personally with who was still on the board I would have taken CB McDuffie, and I didn't think any of the QBs this year were worth drafting. But now that Pickett is a Steeler, I hope he's a Hall of Famer. For anyone too sad about the pick, just think of it this way.

1. They didn't trade up and give up draft capital to get him
    2. All QBs are on board and we already have a bridge guy for this year, so you know our FO got the QB that they really thought would be the best.
    3. Doubtless they expected Pickett or Willis to be available, let alone have their choice. So it still makes sense they signed Trubisky. Don't forget that this is Colbert's MO, "go into draft without holes," so no surprise it counts for QB as well.
    4. We still have the rest of the draft and this and next offseason to go. If Pickett is clearly not it by then, next year we'll still be a better team and can afford to go all in on say, Jurkovec.
    5. Tyler Linderbaum has shorter than average arms and is going to struggle with leverage in the pros, and will regularly get pushed into the pocket. Now it's the Ravens' problem.
    6. The Cheats spent their first round pick on a 4th round guard project.

Senior Member Array title="Steelerette has much to be proud of"> Steelerette's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
    Uh, he played his college ball in Pittsburgh
    In November. Not the same as December and January.

I'm in. You have to roll the dice and this is a calculated risk given the up close evaluation they had.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

I like Pickett. I think the Steelers have done their homework on him and wish him many SB's.

Jeremiah had him #24 on the best players of the 2022 draft

Pickett has ideal size, athleticism and accuracy for the position. He has a lot of twitch in his lower half, which shows up in his ability to avoid defenders inside the pocket or escape to make plays. He has a quick release and incorporates a variety of arm angles. He doesn't have elite velocity, but makes up for it with outstanding anticipation. He has quick eyes to get to his third progression. His accuracy is generally exquisite, but there are occasions when his eyes are faster than his feet, which affects his ball placement. He is very poised and comfortable throwing on the move. He doesn't panic and he delivers strikes. He has solid speed and elusiveness as a runner. There will be talk about
    his hand size and throwing with a glove -- neither topic concerns me. Overall, Pickett is kind of a more athletic Matt Hasselbeck.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I’ve ranted and raved on here previously about why I absolutely HATE the process of sign bridge vet, draft shiny rookie QB, and then end up with a wasted year of toggling between the bridge and the rookie.

It is a well worn path to mediocrity at best.

At least the new GM can just blame Colbert.

Reminds me of this: https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...-840fc6956766/
    But theit’s didn’t really sign a bridge QB in the sense of the cap situation. They signed a back up QB. It’s not like they are throwing 10-15M a year at a bridge guy. They signed a QB to back up money.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

So it sounds like if he had 9.5” hands, very few would be complaining about the pick?

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="lipps83 has a reputation beyond repute"> lipps83's Avatar

I like it.

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

Wait and see... we complain about all this.... and Mason Rudolph wins us multiple superbowls!

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Steeler View Post
    Wait and see... we complain about all this.... and Mason Rudolph wins us multiple superbowls!
    It’s all you can do is see how he performs on the field. That would be awesome if Wverything clicked for Rudolph and he became an All-Pro. Lol.

One thing in common…none of these three have anyone to throw to right now.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    So it sounds like if he had 9.5” hands, very few would be complaining about the pick?
    he still wasnt the best option ...

1 premium year of production ...

less touchdown passes in 5 years than Howell in 3 ... lower YPA than Howell , lower QB rating than Howell not near the deep ball that Howell has , etc etc etc but hey he is a steeler now I hope he shines but I hate when they leave more on the table than they take off talent wise and they did just that with this selection
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Ok. I slept on it. Had some coffee. And I still hate absolutely everything about this pick. Can not think of one thing to like about it.

Dude is jittery in anything less than a clean pocket. Only had success in one year. And that success wasn't jaw-dropping. Routinely attempts throws he doesn't have the arm for -- he is going to throw picks in the NFL. His jaunts out of the pocket are going to get him killed in the NFL...he isn't that good of a runner. Pickett has zero skills that look like they will get better in the NFL.

EGJ made it and I have seen it elsewhere as well... Matt Hasselback. Great. Wow. So the Steelers used a first round pick to have the less talented QB in 70% of the games they line up and play. Awesome. Prime Hasselback would be worse than every other AFC North QB and worse than the other top options across the AFC.

Honestly, other than the fact that Pickett is a Steeler, I can not find any traits or stats to like about this guy.

The best that I can come up with is that he has the lowest chance to be a "bust" of the 2022 QBs. Worst case is that he ends up as a high functioning back-up QB. On the flip side, he appears to have the lowest upside. Best case, he ends up as a high end of average starter that lacks the capability to go toe to toe with the other QBs in his division and the high-end options across the conference.

QBs needs superpowers to be relevant in the SB contending story each season.Pickett appears to have none. In a league where mutant freaks and robots from other planets are playing QB...the Steelers drafted Hawkeye.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

This is the exact nonsense thinking that drives me up a wall about NFL teams...

Sign Trubisky to be your "bridge" and then draft a QB whose best quality you can talk about is his "pro ready" nature because of the style of offense he was in? The offense that it took him 5 years to flourish in?

WTF is the point of a "bridge QB" if your priority is a draft QB who can play "now" but has a low overall ceiling?

Sign the "bridge to nowhere QB" so you can take the bigger swing on one of the QBs in the class who has actual upside to develop into something beyond Ryan Tannehill with gloves.
    Well in Lady Hands defense (and the Steelers) they had no idea who was going to be there at #20. I'm just glad it was not Lamar Jackson lite. Of course now Willis is going to be a stud and Pickett will be selling cars in 2024.

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    Well in Lady Hands defense (and the Steelers) they had no idea who was going to be there at #20. I'm just glad it was not Lamar Jackson lite. Of course now Willis is going to be a stud and Pickett will be selling cars in 2024.
    It is true that they didn't know he was going to be there. BUT...every team that does the "bridge QB" ends up with a drafted QB. It was likely over a 90% chance the Steelers were drafting ONE of the QBs in this class. 30 seconds after that pick is made...Trubisky becomes pointless.

Of course, in this case, Pickett is not good. So Trubisky might have a shot to show his "starter upside"...geez....it is going to be a LONG season....

And to put the cherry on top of this stupid sundae...the team is crowing about how Pickett is ready to play based on his experience in a pro-style offense and that his super senior college season was really his rookie NFL year.

Again...meaning Trubisky is pointless. And it always was pointless....a bridge QB is just a dumb thing that teams feel like the have to do for the period of time between FA and the draft.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

The panic is fairly hilarious.

Last I checked there are 6 more rounds to go in this year's draft. Reminds me of all the doom and gloom in the game day thread week1 in the first half vs Buffalo.

Needed a QB, drafted a QB. Next!

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

he still wasnt the best option ...

1 premium year of production ...

less touchdown passes in 5 years than Howell in 3 ... lower YPA than Howell , lower QB rating than Howell not near the deep ball that Howell has , etc etc etc but hey he is a steeler now I hope he shines but I hate when they leave more on the table than they take off talent wise and they did just that with this selection
    One year. Just like Joe Burrow! This isn't a lifetime achievement award. Just think, when Howell is All-Pro and Pickett is a backup, you will be able to tell us all I told you so.