Thread: Who's Your Top Guy?

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Who's Your Top Guy?

Who is your top pick at each position in the 2022 NFL draft? Not necessarily who you think is the BP at each position, more who do you think fits the Steelers best from each position group.

QB: Carson Strong. (I still do not like his knee issues but his arm and accuracy and quick decision making are NFL level)
    RB: Hassan Haskins. (From just the few games I watched Haskins runs with power and attitude. Reminds me a bit of Kareem Hunt)
    WR: George Pickens. (I love watching this guy play. He has the best body control when going up to catch passes since Lynn Swann, IMO.)
    TE: Isaiah Likely. (I think this guy could be the next Gronk, seriously. He can block in-line, runs great routes, great hands, and he even plays FB.)
    OL: Evan Neal. (It's not really that close for me. Evan Neal will be great for the next decade.)

DL: DeMarvin Leal. (He fits the perfect size range the Steelers love for their DEs. He can bulk up a bit((10-12lbs)) and move inside if necessary.)
    OLB: Sam Williams. (Reminds me a lot of Highsmith. Sets a very hard edge vs the run and has some good counters in pass rush that can be developed.)
    ILB: Troy Andersen. (Great size, speed, and instincts. Played QB and RB at the college level so he understands how to read an offense. Needs to be a Steeler.)
    CB: Roger McCeary. (Inside/outside CB with 40 games experience. 6INTs and 2 Fumble recoveries. 30 passes defensed. Blue Chip.)
    Safety: Kyle Hamilton. (DUH! Best football player in this draft.)

Not really as easy as it first appears. I think the names will change as the week progresses too. Will be fun to look back on maybe in 3-5 years.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: Who's Your Top Guy?

This is a cool idea. I’ll try and post a list before the draft. I really like yours though.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Who's Your Top Guy?

Good thread/post!

QB: Matt Corral - Not worried about the injury. I’d be more worried about the maturity concerns he had early on but seems like Lane Kiffin May have ironed some of that out already.
    RB: Zamir White - with White backing up Harris, the run game doesn’t miss a beat.
    WR: Jahan Dotson - He steps in with the similar skill set to Antonio Brown/Diontae Johnson. Perfect replacement for DJ when he walks.
    TE: Cade Otton - kid comes from a generational football family. VERY smart player. Could be a big sleeper and a really nice value pick.
    OL: Trevor Penning
    OC: Tyler Linderbaum

DL: Jordan Davis
    OLB: David Ojabo
    ILB: Nakobe Dean
    CB: Sauce - I think with Tomlin and Flores coaching him up he would be All-Pro! Plays well but needs a little guidance on and off field.
    S: Kyle Hamilton: What’s not to like.

For pick 20: Hamilton/Penning/Davis/Linderbaum/Dotson would be my choices…not necessarily in that order…

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Offense:
    QB: Kenny "Lady Hands" Pickett - Just think of how much we can save on buying him kids sizes hand warmers.
    RB: Kenny Walker III - Hey Le'veon Bell went to Michigan State too!
    WR: George Pickens - He looked great against Alabama in both games they played this year.
    TE: Trey McBride - Looks like a George Kittle light.
    OL: Evan Neal - Dude is going to be a stud barring injuries.
    OC: Tyler Linderbaum - Another one that would replace our great center guys like Pouncey, Dawson, Hastings, Webster legacies.

Defense:
    DL: Jordan Davis - My biggest concern with him is getting push. He didn't look good in their loss to Alabama.
    OLB: Kayvon Thibodeaux - I think this guy could be a steal. At 6'5" he can rush, run stop and cover.
    ILB: Quay Walker - Nakobe Dean is flat out fast but a little short, and I think Quay Walker could be better.
    EDGE: Aidan Hutchinson - Really the same as OLB but I think Kayvon Thibodeaux is going to be better at more things.
    CB: Toss up between Sauce and Stingley - Really either would be awesome to land.
    S: Kyle Hamilton - Really I think the best athlete in the draft. Imagine having him and Fitzpatrick, Yummy!

K: Cade York - LOL, I just wanted to make sure you guys were still reading.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

For me it is all about big potential return for each of these guys. The Steelers are still searching for their "engine" - especially on offense. So I am not playing it safe looking for singles and doubles. I am swinging for the fences every place I can. Since I can only take one first round pick...I tried to focus on big upside guys from the 3rd round on...not sure if this fits the assignment...but I had fun doing it.

QB - Malik Willis in the first and Howell outside of the first. Both seem to be what the Steelers have spent two years telling us they want. Big arms that can make throws for explosive plays in the passing game and the running ability to alter the math for the defense.
    RB - Pierre Strong. Brings a different element than Harris to the party. Can be used as a swiss army knife on offense and has a breakaway element that the offense is missing.
    TE - Jeremy Ruckert. I think this guy is the best all-around TE in the entire draft class and it seems like you can get him in the 4th round? C'mon. Just because The Ohio State University (What a dumb name) doesn't use him doesn't mean he isn't good. I think he can be really really good. Like readily on the same level as PF. Just get him on the team and figure out what to do with 2 TEs later.
    WR - There are so many. But I will go with a name outside of the usual top guys. FWIW, I really like Pickens. But what about Erik Ezukanma? I think he fits what they want in WRs and is going to come at a draft day discount in a talented class.
    OL - Luke Fortner. Again...later round guy who has a good chance to top his draft projection and be a really good Center.

DL: John Ridgeway. Just a mountain of a man for the middle of the DL.
    LB: Tindall and Beavers. Both guys that are almost certainly going to outplay their draft selection in the pros by Year 3. I was down on Chenal and then he tested far far better than I thought he would. I just don't know if he fits the Steelers 3-4...
    CB: Martin Emerson. Big and athletic. Traits guy that play. Unlike say...Justin Layne. Seems to be what they are looking for in CBs these days.
    S: Not the same kinda buried down the list guy as the rest, but I gotta go with Nick Cross here. I feel like all the knocks against him go away if he isn't playing deep centerfield FS or in a two high system. If he is playing what the Steelers ask their non Minkah safety to do then Cross can just be athletic and fly to the ball. I dunno...I get stuff wrong a bunch.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Great thread. I’ll start with RB (because it’s the least likely position addressed at 20).

Best in class: Breece Hall, Iowa St.

Who’s my guy: Connor Heyward, Michigan St.

Who the Steelers like/most likely to draft: They had dinner with Hassan Haskins, Michigan

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

NOSE TACKLE:

Best in class: Jordan Davis, Georgia

Who’s my guy: Jordan Davis, Georgia

Who the Steelers like/most likely to draft: They had dinner with Jordan Davis (Georgia), but he’s likely not there at 20. Tomlin stared down Travis Jones (UConn). I don’t see Jones at 20, but I could easily see him being a Day 2 pick.

O-LINEMEN:

Best in class:
    Evan Neal, OT, ‘Bama
    Kenyon Green, OG, Texas A&M
    Tyler Linderbaum, C, Iowa

Who’s my guy:
    Evan Neal, OT, ‘Bama
    Kenyon Green, OG, Texas A&M
    Zion Johnson, C, BC

Who the Steelers like/most likely to draft:
    Tyler Smith, OT, Tulsa (showed considerable interest)
    Zion Johnson, C, BC (showed considerable interest)

SECONDARY:

Best in class:
    Sauce Gardner, CB, Cincinnati
    Kyle Hamilton, S, Notre Dame

Who’s my guy:
    I love Sauce Gardner
    Kyle Hamilton could drop to 20, but if not, I’m all in on Dino Tomlin’s roommate at Maryland.

They’ve shown a lot of interest in Marcus Jones (Houston) and even more interest in Alontae Taylor (Tennessee).
    It’s gonna be Nick Cross.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    SECONDARY:

Best in class:
    Sauce Gardner, CB, Cincinnati
    Kyle Hamilton, S, Notre Dame

Who’s my guy:
    I love Sauce Gardner
    Kyle Hamilton could drop to 20, but if not, I’m all in on Dino Tomlin’s roommate at Maryland.

They’ve shown a lot of interest in Marcus Jones (Houston) and even more interest in Alontae Taylor (Tennessee).
    It’s gonna be Nick Cross.
    This year's secondary class is full of fun possibilities. Perfect example is I will hope for Kyle Hamilton until he is taken off the board, but I will be perfectly happy with Nick Cross. There are also Brisker and Hill that would be acceptable Safety prospects. There are others but I'll keep it at those.

I'm a bit greedy when it comes to CBs in this year's draft. There are so many prospects that I think could upgrade our CB room that I have started looking more at versatility in the secondary, and comparing tackling form, and I'm very high on experience/games played at the position. There are many I like but I have a wish list of any of Trent McDuffie, Roger McCreary, and Alontae Taylor. Marcus Jones is 'interesting' because he is versatile outside that has played inside. He returns for both ST units. But he's just so small.

- - - Updated - - -

Great thread. I’ll start with RB (because it’s the least likely position addressed at 20).

Best in class: Breece Hall, Iowa St.

Who’s my guy: Connor Heyward, Michigan St.

Who the Steelers like/most likely to draft: They had dinner with Hassan Haskins, Michigan
    The heart says Heyward but the head says Haskins.

I really like Troy Andersen as an ILB prospect for the Steelers and I would love to see the Steelers draft him. However, I believe the pick at ILB will be Josh Ross of Michigan. He got the dinner and the full attention of FO brass at the Michigan Pro-day. Nobody went to the Montana State pro-day.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I really like Troy Andersen as an ILB prospect for the Steelers and I would love to see the Steelers draft him. However, I believe the pick at ILB will be Josh Ross of Michigan. He got the dinner and the full attention of FO brass at the Michigan Pro-day. Nobody went to the Montana State pro-day.
    Yep Josh Ross appears to be a “lock” for Day 3. Go with Miles Jack and hope Devin Bush breaks out if his funk… but, add a guy that they had dinner with. As far as the rest goes:

Best in class: Devin Lloyd, Utah (although, the Steelers had dinner with Nakobe Dean, Georgia)

My guy: I’m much higher on Darrian Beavers, Cincinnati than most. I also reeeally like Leo Chenal, Wisconsin.

RECEIVERS

Best in class: I like Chris Olave, Ohio St. … but, I honestly think it’s George Pickens, Georgia He dropped from injuries and the fear of him being the lovechild of T.O. and AB. If a team can control him, he’ll be the best of this draft class.

Who’s my guy: Skyy Moore, Western Michigan… Dino’s childhood friend

Who the Steelers like/most likely to draft: George Pickens, Georgia. The Steelers met with him twice. Except for QBs, there isn’t a player in this draft they’ve didn’t more energy / time on. And, Tomlin showed that he could handle AB (and Tomlin will get that same type of production out of Pickens).

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

I'll let you know in 3 years

I'm also a carson strong fan, the guy passes the eye test, but there's medical history. Though he's someone we can get in rd 2 and I really think the most pressing need at the moment is OL or DL. Would be QB but we did sign trubisky who could be an ok enough bridge for now, I honestly would like it if we could build a strong OL and make Najee Harris / backup RB a focus of our offense as something to build on atm.

I'm not sold on Willis and I hope he gets drafted before it's our turn. There's a reason why QB's like Kordell Stewart or Lamar Jackson never won a SB and never will. Athletic QB's are vogue right now, but the only proven winning formula for QB's is being able to throw the ball when it's a must

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

RECEIVERS

Best in class: I like Chris Olave, Ohio St. … but, I honestly think it’s George Pickens, Georgia He dropped from injuries and the fear of him being the lovechild of T.O. and AB. If a team can control him, he’ll be the best of this draft class.

Who’s my guy: Skyy Moore, Western Michigan… Dino’s childhood friend

Who the Steelers like/most likely to draft: George Pickens, Georgia. The Steelers met with him twice. Except for QBs, there isn’t a player in this draft they’ve didn’t more energy / time on. And, Tomlin showed that he could handle AB (and Tomlin will get that same type of production out of Pickens).
    Pickens may not get passed the Eagles. The Eagles could screw them out of Pickens in round two and Davis in round one.

I can’t decide between Dotson and Treylon Burks. Watching Burks play…I’m really starting to like this guy a lot. He’s got size, speed and he’s physical, likes to block. I’m liking him too. I have no doubt that they’ll get a receiver that will fit in and be successful with the offense. There’s just so many, you have to have confidence that whichever one they pick will succeed in their organization.

Another prospect I like that I think fits the Steelers at OLB is Michael Clemons, another Texas A&M guy along with DL DeMarvin Leal. I could see drafting Leal in the 1st/2nd and Clemons in the 3rd/4th.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

What day is it? Did they draft another TE?

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    What day is it? Did they draft another TE?
    Sort of. But he’s 5”11 and probably more of a FB.

But I hear he comes from a decent football family… much like the FB he’ll need to replace.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    Offense:
    QB: Kenny "Lady Hands" Pickett - Just think of how much we can save on buying him kids sizes hand warmers.
    RB: Kenny Walker III - Hey Le'veon Bell went to Michigan State too!
    WR: George Pickens - He looked great against Alabama in both games they played this year.
    TE: Trey McBride - Looks like a George Kittle light.
    OL: Evan Neal - Dude is going to be a stud barring injuries.
    OC: Tyler Linderbaum - Another one that would replace our great center guys like Pouncey, Dawson, Hastings, Webster legacies.

Defense:
    DL: Jordan Davis - My biggest concern with him is getting push. He didn't look good in their loss to Alabama.
    OLB: Kayvon Thibodeaux - I think this guy could be a steal. At 6'5" he can rush, run stop and cover.
    ILB: Quay Walker - Nakobe Dean is flat out fast but a little short, and I think Quay Walker could be better.
    EDGE: Aidan Hutchinson - Really the same as OLB but I think Kayvon Thibodeaux is going to be better at more things.
    CB: Toss up between Sauce and Stingley - Really either would be awesome to land.
    S: Kyle Hamilton - Really I think the best athlete in the draft. Imagine having him and Fitzpatrick, Yummy!

K: Cade York - LOL, I just wanted to make sure you guys were still reading.
    I called it!

The Clowns took Cade York in round #4. Gee, I wonder why they always fail.

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Good thread/post!

QB: Matt Corral - Not worried about the injury. I’d be more worried about the maturity concerns he had early on but seems like Lane Kiffin May have ironed some of that out already.
    RB: Zamir White - with White backing up Harris, the run game doesn’t miss a beat.
    WR: Jahan Dotson - He steps in with the similar skill set to Antonio Brown/Diontae Johnson. Perfect replacement for DJ when he walks.
    TE: Cade Otton - kid comes from a generational football family. VERY smart player. Could be a big sleeper and a really nice value pick.
    OL: Trevor Penning
    OC: Tyler Linderbaum

DL: Jordan Davis
    OLB: David Ojabo
    ILB: Nakobe Dean
    CB: Sauce - I think with Tomlin and Flores coaching him up he would be All-Pro! Plays well but needs a little guidance on and off field.
    S: Kyle Hamilton: What’s not to like.

For pick 20: Hamilton/Penning/Davis/Linderbaum/Dotson would be my choices…not necessarily in that order…
    0 for 11

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    0 for 11
    The Eagles took Nakobe Dean one pick before us at #83. I really believe if he was there we would have take him over DeMarvin Leal.