Thread: He's Back...Edmunds on Budget Option Year

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

He's Back...Edmunds on Budget Option Year

https://steelersdepot.com/2022/04/re...one-year-deal/

Assuming it is true and the early Twitterists got it right...Edmunds is playing on a 5th year option at a discounted rate. Colbert strikes again on his way out of town.

Makes sense for both sides. Team buys another year to figure out where they want to go and Edmunds gets one last chance to put up high-end production on game tape that will get him paid by someone.

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

Re: He's Back...Edmunds on Budget Option Year

I like it. It appears there was not much of a market in free agency for Edmunds, and teams must not think that highly of his skillset and production to this point. I think he is a dependable if unspectacular safety. The Steelers can't have pro bowlers at all positions on defense.

Senior Member Array title="that1guy is a splendid one to behold">

It's good for the Steelers and Edmunds. The Steelers keep a guy those knows the defense and (as posted above) is the getting any offers from team because frankly he's mediocre on his good days and a liability the remainder of the time.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

6.5 million had they picked up his 5th year option but now signs for 2.5 million.

Fire Colbert and Khan!

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

No Honey Badger?

I like Edmunds and I like that they get another evaluation year out of it and another year to gel with Minkah.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Good to know there won't be no huge need at safety heading into next weeks draft.

Edmunds is a solid player, Minkah also seems to like playing with him.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Likely wasn’t assured a starting role on the other two teams that offered.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Likely wasn’t assured a starting role on the other two teams that offered.
    the other two offers were from the Bengals and Dolphins.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

I would like to have a half dozen guys that are as solid as Edmunds at that price point , then I could stock up on stars at other positions
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Now there's some good news. I've always thought he was decent as long as there are decent players around him, and right now he's got one of the best next to him. And at $2.5M, it's an absolute steal.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

TEs used to kill us. Not so much any more (aside from Mark Andrews).

Minkah asked that Terrell be brought back.

There was no way we were getting an upgrade for less than $8 million… let alone $2.5 million.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

You watch, now Kyle Hamilton will be there at #20.

Senior Member Array title="ETL has a reputation beyond repute"> ETL's Avatar

That’s a great price to pay for a solid backup and part time starter. I still wouldn’t mind an upgrade

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    BPA, take him.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

jaleel white on steroids

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    With Edmunds contract you can still take Hamilton l. $2.5 million? Edmunds can play nickel and other sub package snaps and be a reasonable allocation of resources. I mean they’re paying Maulet $1.5 million to seemingly sit behind Sutton or Wallace.

$2.5 to be a third safety? Done and Done.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Marcus Allen got more money than Edmunds!

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    TEs used to kill us. Not so much any more (aside from Mark Andrews).

Minkah asked that Terrell be brought back.

There was no way we were getting an upgrade for less than $8 million… let alone $2.5 million.
    Agree, he plays well in the defense. So the Steelers have one pro bow caliber safety and another good guy to play along side him. Darren Perry, Lee Flowers, Chris Hope, Ryan Clark all think its a good move.

Could be worse, Brent Alexander, Mike Mitchell, Sharknado Thomas, Anthony Smith could be back there.

I didn’t mind Mike Mitchell.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I didn’t mind Mike Mitchell.
    I wasnt a fan. Mitchell would be late getting over to a completed pass for 15-25 yards, then lay a big hit and celebrate like it was a tackle for loss.

On a scale of 1-10, Mitchell played at a 5-1/2, but celebrated and talked like he thought he was a 22.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Hard to grade Mike Mitchell. With the Steelers he played with TP43 in his last season, Will Allen, and Sean Davis(2 seasons). The starting CBs in that secondary were Brice McCain, William Gay, Antwon Blake, Ross Cockrell, Artie Burns, and finally Joe Haden. Then we drafted Terrell Edmunds and Sean Davis moved to FS. It was pretty bad in that secondary all around.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

TE was far from the weak link on the defense last year. Glad he’s back so cheap.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    TE was far from the weak link on the defense last year. Glad he’s back so cheap.
    I always thought he was a solid player, not great, but good. The type of player you need to fill a good roster without breaking the bank. The Ryan Clark / Larry Foote type who will never be all-pro, but he does his job. He's probably unfairly judged by our fanbase because the previous SS was an all-world player who will never be duplicated ever again.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Hard to grade Mike Mitchell. With the Steelers he played with TP43 in his last season, Will Allen, and Sean Davis(2 seasons). The starting CBs in that secondary were Brice McCain, William Gay, Antwon Blake, Ross Cockrell, Artie Burns, and finally Joe Haden. Then we drafted Terrell Edmunds and Sean Davis moved to FS. It was pretty bad in that secondary all around.
    It was actually pretty easy to grade Mitchell if you watched games. He wasnt impactful in making plays, defending passes, narrowing down passing lanes, or covering guys 1 on 1. But he used his speed and tackling angles to then make tackles after the first down and celebrate an opponent moving the chains. He had 1 big year with Carolina and was going to milk that "potential" the rest of his career, because he was an underperformer.

I'm glad Edmunds is back on the roster.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

the one I kinda feel bad about is Sean Davis , the guy came in and was asked to do everything and was never afforded to concentrate on development at one role ... played SS, Nickle , Dime, some slot , FS ...

I mean sure he had some corner and safety play in his college background but the NFL is a completely different level ... let the kid come in and learn a spot and develop don't bounce him around like a ball or try to fit him into place like some sort of lego ... he had the size and enough athleticism to be a decent enough player and he showed flashes of that but IMO was never left alone long enough to become what he might have become ( an average starter at one of the safety spots ) ...but I digress

the one I kinda feel bad about is Sean Davis , the guy came in and was asked to do everything and was never afforded to concentrate on development at one role ... played SS, Nickle , Dime, some slot , FS ...

I mean sure he had some corner and safety play in his college background but the NFL is a completely different level ... let the kid come in and learn a spot and develop don't bounce him around like a ball or try to fit him into place like some sort of lego ... he had the size and enough athleticism to be a decent enough player and he showed flashes of that but IMO was never left alone long enough to become what he might have become ( an average starter at one of the safety spots ) ...but I digress
    Agree. He should have been put at Safety and played there. He wasnt great in man coverage in college when pressed into it, so not really shocking that him covering TE's wasnt great, but hopefully with his height and length he would have fared better in coverage.

A guy that I really liked that same draft year was Eric Murray from Minnesota. Physical and tenacious in coverage and will support in the run. He has carved out a decent 7 year career in the NFL and looks like moved to safety. Hindsight and all, but he wasnt from Maryland like Davis or the great Anthony McFarland jr. so he was a long shot to be a Steeler without knowing Dino Tomlin.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I don't understand why Edmunds took this deal. Not only is it about half the franchise tag amount, it's even less than his per year on his rookie deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I don't understand why Edmunds took this deal. Not only is it about half the franchise tag amount, it's even less than his per year on his rookie deal.
    and it is LESS money than ( by 40k ) than Marcus Allen , who barely plays defensive snaps ( unless in an emergency situation and your down more than a few players )

Edmonds took the deal because he wanted to start and the Steelers were the only ones making that offer.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar