Thread: one mans trash ? I wouldnt dislike this potential pickup

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

one mans trash ? I wouldnt dislike this potential pickup

this is the kind of low $ risk reward signing that makes sense and I would be in favor of .... The Baltimore Ravens announced the release of wide receiver Miles Boykin
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: one mans trash ? I wouldnt dislike this potential pickup

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    this is the kind of low $ risk reward signing that makes sense and I would be in favor of .... The Baltimore Ravens announced the release of wide receiver Miles Boykin
    He certainly has the measurements they love. Not like he would cost anything.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    He certainly has the measurements they love. Not like he would cost anything.
    many of us liked him prior to his draft , lets face it its not like he has had any time with a passer playing the QB pos , his entire career has been playing with a RB that throws the football 15-20 times a game

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

As a ND fan I watched his college career. I’m not sure what was/is missing in Baltimore. He is big and fast. A lot like Claypool re body type. He’d be worth a flier.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

many of us liked him prior to his draft , lets face it its not like he has had any time with a passer playing the QB pos , his entire career has been playing with a RB that throws the football 15-20 times a game
    Agreed. It would be about the least surprising Colbert move ever. I almost feel like the only thing that would prevent it would be Boykin having a preference for another team.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

6’4” 220 with 4.42 speed and a 43.5” vertical.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Not a good NFL player.

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Not a good NFL player.
    how would anyone know , he played with a RB as his QB

https://steelersdepot.com/2022/04/st...n-off-waivers/

About the most easy to predict move that Kevin Colbert has ever made.

He is the precise measurables they love in WR prospects. He is also the exact type of veteran signing they can not resist. Guy they were high on when he came out, still young in NFL terms, and super cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    https://steelersdepot.com/2022/04/st...n-off-waivers/

About the most easy to predict move that Kevin Colbert has ever made.

He is the precise measurables they love in WR prospects. He is also the exact type of veteran signing they can not resist. Guy they were high on when he came out, still young in NFL terms, and super cheap.

what's not to like

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

what's not to like
    He’s not good? Average is his upside.

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    He’s not good? Average is his upside.
    if he can replace the production of any of the 3 we lost in free agency its a good signing ( he is a very good special teams player ) and believe it or not the Farmer had the best numbers of the 3 last year and he is joked about here so there is that ....

I'll take average as a #4 WR hell we had below average playing #3 last year ... yes Ray Ray had more targets and way way more snaps than Washington and was out performed by Washington statistically yet Washington was behind him on the depth chart and playtime ... Coaching has to take some amount of blame there IMO that aside .... I think he makes the 53 and gets a helmet on game days

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Whatever was happening in Baltimore seems like it can be fixed, no issues with speed, catching ability, maybe alot of the problem was with the QB

https://ravenswire.usatoday.com/2020...mistry-issues/

Senior Member Array title="Orion has a reputation beyond repute"> Orion's Avatar

do they generally carry 6 WR's on game day ? if im not mistaken it is usually 5. Boykins contract is set up so they can easily ditch him. he will need to ball out to stick. i dont think he is going to collect that 2.5 million this year.

DJ
    claypool
    pickens
    austin
    boykin
    olzewski

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    do they generally carry 6 WR's on game day ? if im not mistaken it is usually 5. Boykins contract is set up so they can easily ditch him. he will need to ball out to stick. i dont think he is going to collect that 2.5 million this year.

DJ
    claypool
    pickens
    austin
    boykin
    olzewski
    Austin, Pickens, Boykin all could easily be a game day scratch.

Usually the run with JuJu, DJ, Claypool, Washington, McCloud. I believe there have been games where Cody White has dressed as well.

Boykin has special teams value. So does Justin Layne. Boykin is at least playable as a bottom roster wr.

Putting on my best Teegre hat: Ergo cut Layne because he’s useless and carry an extra WR.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Boykin can't get off the LOS and into his route. Defenders jam him and he's done. He'll need to be put in motion to allow him more of a free release. From what I read he's a decent to good blocker and has ST capability. Gunner will be the designated returner so I assume Boykin will play cover teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Boykin can't get off the LOS and into his route. Defenders jam him and he's done. He'll need to be put in motion to allow him more of a free release. From what I read he's a decent to good blocker and has ST capability. Gunner will be the designated returner so I assume Boykin will play cover teams.
    Boykin could be effective on the alleged jet motion and sweeps Canada is supposed to be entranced by. He’s a bigger body then Austin for that role.

I think DJ and Pickens will draw the elude the defender at the LOS to get open assignments. Austin and Boykin provide two different body types to motion out of the slot. Claypool and Pickens and MAYBE Boykin run the deep shot routes.

It all makes sense in my head. Kinda works on the “build a basketball” team theory of the WR position group.

I think Boykin can flourish in a specific role. No idea if he will.

Senior Member Array title="Orion has a reputation beyond repute"> Orion's Avatar

boykins contract is for 2.7 million with only 200k signing bonus. thats a show me something or adios contract. 2.5 million is too much money for game day scratches. i mean JuJu's contract with KC is only for about 500 K more than boykins ( 3.2 vs 2.7 ). the big difference is the signing bonus. half of JuJu's money is guaranteed. seems a bit odd when you compare their production thus far in their careers, that the potential earnings gap for 2022 is so close.
    if boykins does look like he may reach his potential carrying 6 WR's would be a good idea considering DJ may not be around next year.