• Collinsworth/ Michaels NBC

2 10.53%
  • Aikman/ Buck Fox

5 26.32%
  • Griese/ Riddick/ Levy ESPN

2 10.53%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Announcing Team?

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Favorite Announcing Team?

Limiting the choices to the #1 team for each network, which one is your favorite?

Senior Member Array title="willy has a reputation beyond repute"> willy's Avatar

Re: Favorite Announcing Team?

Joe Buck/Troy Aikman

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Romo/Nance; Buck/Aikman; Collinsworth/Michaels

I dont mind any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Romo seemed to talk too much his first couple years. I think he's doing better now. This seems to be Aikman's strength: he doesn't ramble endlessly. I'm not a fan of Collinsworth - he's too captain obvious. And I don't care much for 3-man booths. The weakness of the ESPN team is Levy. He's kind of annoying.

New talent: I really like Drew Brees on Notre Dame games. I think he's transitioning to the NFL next year. He's smooth and informational. Someone really new that I like is RG3. He's doing college but he's gonna be a star.

Senior Member Array title="willy has a reputation beyond repute"> willy's Avatar

Robert Griffin III Says He Experienced Sexual Harassment While Playing In Washington

https://balleralert.com/profiles/blo...al-harassment/

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

None of the above.

I had hope for Romo when he first started because he actually offered intelligent commentary, but he’s turned into an assclown like pretty much all the rest of them.

My favorite is still Merlin Olsen and Dick Enberg. RIP to both of them.

“Oh my!”

The early years of Madden/Summerall (before Madden's shtick became tiresome) were really good too.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    None of the above.

I had hope for Romo when he first started because he actually offered intelligent commentary, but he’s turned into an assclown like pretty much all the rest of them.

“Oh my!”

The early years of Madden/Summerall (before Madden's shtick became tiresome) were really good too.
    100 % agree on whole post. Hard to watch ESPN, Griese and Levy are awful. Right now Buck and Aikman far better than anyone else IMO.

- - - Updated - - -

and I’d take jimmy the greek, irv cross and phyllis george over any pregame now.

We are looking live...

anyone who sucks up to the Patriots

Ravens Fan Extraordinaire Array title="Crow-Magnon has a reputation beyond repute"> Crow-Magnon's Avatar

None of the above.

“Oh my!”

Enberg and Olsen were my favorite. They could make a blowout entertaining.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

I’m old enough to remember Curt Gowdy. Loved his voice. I remember him both on radio and TV. Had the pleasure of having a beer with him one time. He had a summer home close to where I taught at a golf and tennis for three summers. The owner of the camp also owned a local bar. He would close the bar twice a summer to have a staff party. Gowdy strolled in to one of these parties and hung out with us for a couple of hours. I could have listened to his stories for a few more hours. Great man.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Also an Enberg/Olsen fan. Don't like any of the current play by play guys (Michaels is past his prime, Joe Buck is a tool and Nantz is a Brady lover, Levy is meh). I like Romo but the network toned him down and he doesn't call the play ahead of time like he did the first few years.
    Aquib Talib is entertaining lol

Ravens Fan Extraordinaire Array title="Crow-Magnon has a reputation beyond repute"> Crow-Magnon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    I’m old enough to remember Curt Gowdy. Loved his voice. I remember him both on radio and TV. Had the pleasure of having a beer with him one time. He had a summer home close to where I taught at a golf and tennis for three summers. The owner of the camp also owned a local bar. He would close the bar twice a summer to have a staff party. Gowdy strolled in to one of these parties and hung out with us for a couple of hours. I could have listened to his stories for a few more hours. Great man.
    I remember Gowdy well from American Sportsman. Him, Chuck Thompson, Chris Schenkel. All voices now gone.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crow-Magnon View Post
    Enberg and Olsen were my favorite. They could make a blowout entertaining.
    OH MY!

- - - Updated - - -

I remember Gowdy well from American Sportsman. Him, Chuck Thompson, Chris Schenkel. All voices now gone.
    Yeah, Curt Gowdy and Chris Schenkel. Great broadcasters.

Basketball I always enjoyed Al McGuire-Dick Enberg, Billy Packer-Gary Bender. Bill Raftery and anybody.

At least I no longer get any Don Criqui-Beasley Reece games called.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

I never understood why Collinsworth gets so much hate from Steeler fans, is it because he was a Bengal? I never thought he was terrible at being an announcer

and idk back in the 90s when Madden was popular, I didn't care much for him. I don't know what people saw in him tbh, I thought he was annoying and a bit too much of a captain obvious, with gems like "when the ball crosses the goal line, it's a touchdown", or "usually the team that scores the most points wins"

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    I never understood why Collinsworth gets so much hate from Steeler fans, is it because he was a Bengal? I never thought he was terrible at being an announcer
    For me, he's Captain Obvious with all his comments. No real insight.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

None of the above.

“Oh my!”

Agree 100%. All-Time favorites…Dick Enberg and Merlin Olsen.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

I'd still rather hear Phil Simms than any of the guys in the booth right now.

Curt Gowdy talks about the best World Series game he ever called:

Levy cannot shut his mouth long enough to capture the moment right in front of him.

While Monday Night Football had a big effect on NFL viewership it's interesting that no one has mentioned Cosell, Meredith, or Gifford.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    OH MY!

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, Curt Gowdy and Chris Schenkel. Great broadcasters.

Basketball I always enjoyed Al McGuire-Dick Enberg, Billy Packer-Gary Bender. Bill Raftery and anybody.

At least I no longer get any Don Criqui-Beasley Reece games called.
    Those basketball announcers were golden.

Don Criqui was great with John Brodie. His call during the 1981 playoff game (Chargers vs Dolphins) was great. (Hook and lateral to end the half was an all time call by Shula and Criqui was all over it.)
    Beasley Reece - I can agree with that lol.

I'm eternally thankful that I don't have to listen to Dan Fouts on Steelers' games anymore! He was the worst!

Quote Originally Posted by willy View Post
    While Monday Night Football had a big effect on NFL viewership it's interesting that no one has mentioned Cosell, Meredith, or Gifford.
    That’s a fair point. In retrospect, I think that trio was almost entertainment as well as calling the game. I will say I will never forget Cosell breaking the news of John Lennon’s murder.

Cosell was definitely an intelligent, albeit pompous individual. He loathed many other sportscasters and talked down to them. One was Bob Uecker. In the late 1970s, ABC had a "Monday Night Baseball" show with Al Michaels, Howard Cosell and Bob Uecker. Michaels told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel recently that they were doing a game in Houston when Uecker chided Cosell for saying something outrageous. Cosell responded: "Ueck, you don't have to get so truculent. You do know what truculent means." Uecker, without missing a beat, said: "Of course, Howard. If you had a truck and I borrowed it, it would be a truck you lent."

That’s a fair point. In retrospect, I think that trio was almost entertainment as well as calling the game. I will say I will never forget Cosell breaking the news of John Lennon’s murder.

Cosell was definitely an intelligent, albeit pompous individual. He loathed many other sportscasters and talked down to them. One was Bob Uecker. In the late 1970s, ABC had a "Monday Night Baseball" show with Al Michaels, Howard Cosell and Bob Uecker. Michaels told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel recently that they were doing a game in Houston when Uecker chided Cosell for saying something outrageous. Cosell responded: "Ueck, you don't have to get so truculent. You do know what truculent means." Uecker, without missing a beat, said: "Of course, Howard. If you had a truck and I borrowed it, it would be a truck you lent."
    I remember Cosell asking someone that.

I've heard stories of him being drunk and throwing up in the Monday Night booth. I bet Gifford loved that.

I will say I will never forget Cosell breaking the news of John Lennon’s murder.

That reminds me of Al Michaels World Series earthquake broadcast.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I'm eternally thankful that I don't have to listen to Dan Fouts on Steelers' games anymore! He was the worst!
    Yeah, I liked Fouts calling games, but I did notice that any time he did a Steelers game he was anti Steeler biased.

Like there would be a Steelers CB called for PI and he would describe it like he premeditated the penalty 3 plays before, but when the Steelers were on offense and a WR got mugged, it was just a good play by the opposing CB and Fouts "didnt see much there worth calling". Just bad.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Yeah, I liked Fouts calling games, but I did notice that any time he did a Steelers game he was anti Steeler biased.

Like there would be a Steelers CB called for PI and he would describe it like he premeditated the penalty 3 plays before, but when the Steelers were on offense and a WR got mugged, it was just a good play by the opposing CB and Fouts "didnt see much there worth calling". Just bad.
    He wasn't bad back on the old days, but for the last 3-4 years I think he went senile.

This story about Cosell commentating on a Kansas City street fight outside a restaurant in KC is just golden. The audio/video quality isnt great, but the story is phenomenal.

I would stay up for Halftime Highlights w/Howard on MNF in the 70s. This was pre ESPN so nobody had highlights except for maybe local news but here they were the Foreskins/WTF viewing area so not much of Pittsburgh.'

John Lennon's murder is synonymous w/Cosell's breaking the news to the world. Can't think about it without remembering Howard telling it "like it is". He said he had to do it (after ABC producers were deciding if he should) and put it all in perspective. Maybe one of Howard's best moments.

MNF went beyond Football IMHO. They tried to recreate it for MLB but it just didn't get the same reaction and viewers like they hoped.

If you’re old enough, you may remember bars used to have raffles, and if you won, you won a brick. Which you got to throw and smash a TV when Howie was on MNF lol.