Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RIP Dwayne Haskins

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Re: RIP Dwayne Haskins

This is purely speculation on my part, but at that time of the morning and location, it would be easy to assume he had an early flight home and his rental car ran out of gas.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Yeah. Seems like that one would be easy to confirm or deny by LE.
    one would think , yet they are silent, not sure what their logic could be on that ..

unless it means he didn't run out of gas and they do not want to add more questions to the equation by the public while they are in an ongoing investigation ....

I personally am still trying to come to terms of getting hit by a dump truck ( no idea what the speed limit is there but almost certainly between 55- 70 )

horrifying
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

I also feel bad for the driver of that truck, he has to live with that the rest of his/her life. My dad was a truck driver for 40 years and he always told me never to pull out, walk, run in front of a truck they just do not stop like cars.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

I lived in Florida in the Orlando area during the late 90's. Every street is a wide freeway with multiple lanes. There is absolutely no chill on the traffic. Crossing the street without a traffic light is a balance with life or death.

Haskins' death hit too close to home for me. I know exactly what he was dealing with.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    I lived in Florida in the Orlando area during the late 90's. Every street is a wide freeway with multiple lanes. There is absolutely no chill on the traffic. Crossing the street without a traffic light is a balance with life or death.

Haskins' death hit too close to home for me. I know exactly what he was dealing with.
    Yep, I had to walk about 4 blocks near Universal to pick up a rental car once. I had to cross about six major intersections with one right turn only lane, two straight lanes and two left turn only lanes (basically five rows of traffic). It was almost none stop filled with cars and I had to take my time and use every cross signal just to make it.

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Schefter issued an apology on his podcast:

https://twitter.com/adamschefter/sta...aCxciblcoRTi_Q

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Schefter issued an apology on his podcast:

https://twitter.com/adamschefter/sta...aCxciblcoRTi_Q

personally , I am not interested in apologies , I am interested in people having some semblance of respect in such times,I am sorry is for the living but it doesn't take away the moment ... its liken to a lawyer in court going on a long diatribe and in the process the statement gets objected to , the Judge can strike it from the record but it doesn't remove it from the jury's ears

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    I also feel bad for the driver of that truck, he has to live with that the rest of his/her life. My dad was a truck driver for 40 years and he always told me never to pull out, walk, run in front of a truck they just do not stop like cars.
    Agreed. That truck driver has to feel terrible and he likely could not do anything to stop in time. Just a sad situation all around.

I grew up around a lot of long haul truckers as a young man and learned that just like you did. I also learned that Autosol is the best chrome polish and that putting more chrome on a Mack Truck is like putting "perfume on a pig".

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

personally , I am not interested in apologies , I am interested in people having some semblance of respect in such times,I am sorry is for the living but it doesn't take away the moment ... its liken to a lawyer in court going on a long diatribe and in the process the statement gets objected to , the Judge can strike it from the record but it doesn't remove it from the jury's ears
    I no longer pay attention to Schefter especially after he got the 2010 DPOY wrong.

As far as Gil Brandt, he's a former Cowgirl exec so I could care less what he says and don't pay him any attention. Not worth my time. Plus he's like 300 years old

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    I no longer pay attention to Schefter especially after he got the 2010 DPOY wrong.

As far as Gil Brandt, he's a former Cowgirl exec so I could care less what he says and don't pay him any attention. Not worth my time. Plus he's like 300 years old
    Yeah, I don't understand why Schefter is still treated as an authoritative voice by so many considering how often he is completely back-asswards WRONG. He is about one level above Ian MakeUpAReport in credibility.

And yes, Brandt needs to mosey on off to the shuffleboard court...twenty years ago...

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Yeah, I don't understand why Schefter is still treated as an authoritative voice by so many considering how often he is completely back-asswards WRONG. He is about one level above Ian MakeUpAReport in credibility.

And yes, Brandt needs to mosey on off to the shuffleboard court...twenty years ago...
    Schefter is right more than most of the guys. I think that's why. LaConfora, Mortensen, Rappaport...those clowns seem like they are wrong about 40% of the time...

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

The sometimes-sketchy source aside, this article does seem to answer many questions about what was going on that morning:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ump-truck.html

(tl;dr - seems he was indeed out of gas, and multiple people called 911 concerned about what the hell he was doing in the road)
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="mark0933 will become famous soon enough">
    Bully Basher Champion!

There is a story about the details of his death on the NFL website right now (which details the 911 call from his wife, etc) - am I the only one who finds this type of article sickening? I go to the NFL site to read about sports developments, not to read that he got by multiple vehicles on the highway. He was an athelete who tragically died in an accident, that is all we needed to know a week ago, and do not need any more details than that. The families might, but we, the general public do not.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mark0933 View Post
    There is a story about the details of his death on the NFL website right now (which details the 911 call from his wife, etc) - am I the only one who finds this type of article sickening? I go to the NFL site to read about sports developments, not to read that he got by multiple vehicles on the highway. He was an athelete who tragically died in an accident, that is all we needed to know a week ago, and do not need any more details than that. The families might, but we, the general public do not.
    It's horrific, but I don't share your take. The basic details are newsworthy. I was interested in how/why it happened. I'm still unclear whether he was walking on the shoulder or in the middle of the highway. If the latter, it's confusing.

I'm not interesting in gossip, rumor or scandal. Just the facts.

Prayers for the family!

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

My dad was a truck driver too, but he just told me to never pull out.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

in DD were taught if your car stalls on the highway or freeway, don't get out, stay in the car. People just standing by their cars on the shoulder get hit more often than we might think

Quote Originally Posted by RunNGun View Post
    My dad was a truck driver too, but he just told me to never pull out.
    When I was younger, 8-12 years old, I used to ride with my dad during summer vacations some days. He would haul sand or stones in an 18 wheeler from quarries out in PA back to south Jersey. It was fun, but I got to see first hand how many idiots would cut truckers off, pull right out in front of them not realizing 80,000 lbs is like a missile of death if the driver cannot stop.

To this day I will always flash truckers and let them pass on interstates, then signal them with my 4 ways after they let me pull in front of them after passing them. The one thing my dad taught me is always know every car around you when traveling. He said make a mental note of everyone, use your mirrors and if you don't see one of the cars to scan until you find them. That little tip has saved me on interstates so many times from making a bad lane change. He said to never trust any driver and always expect them to make a stupid move, leaving yourself an out if need be. So many times I've come up on stopped traffic on a highway and after braking hard I look for a way to get out of the path if the guy behind isn't paying attention.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    in DD were taught if your car stalls on the highway or freeway, don't get out, stay in the car. People just standing by their cars on the shoulder get hit more often than we might think
    Yep, the only time you should ever get out is if your car becomes disabled in a dangerous spot, and even then you need to physically move WAY off the highway.

Senior Member Array title="T&B fan has much to be proud of"> T&B fan's Avatar

When I was younger, 8-12 years old, I used to ride with my dad during summer vacations some days. He would haul sand or stones in an 18 wheeler from quarries out in PA back to south Jersey. It was fun, but I got to see first hand how many idiots would cut truckers off, pull right out in front of them not realizing 80,000 lbs is like a missile of death if the driver cannot stop.

To this day I will always flash truckers and let them pass on interstates, then signal them with my 4 ways after they let me pull in front of them after passing them. The one thing my dad taught me is always know every car around you when traveling. He said make a mental note of everyone, use your mirrors and if you don't see one of the cars to scan until you find them. That little tip has saved me on interstates so many times from making a bad lane change. He said to never trust any driver and always expect them to make a stupid move, leaving yourself an out if need be. So many times I've come up on stopped traffic on a highway and after braking hard I look for a way to get out of the path if the guy behind isn't paying attention.

- - - Updated - - -

Yep, the only time you should ever get out is if your car becomes disabled in a dangerous spot, and even then you need to physically move WAY off the highway.
    this is so true , also have drove over 2 million miles in trucks of up to 26 wheels , when a truck is passing you keep your eyes on the steer tire where it go so go the rest of the truck .
    we must never forget tell everyone you know New England cheated and might be back at it Edit 1-21-15 there back Edit #2__12-8-19 here we go again Edit #3__ 5-25-23 it never ends

His poor wife. I know very well what it is like to try and get ahold of my husband while he is travelling, and for whatever reason he doesn't pick up and your mind goes there. For her, it became a tragic reality. It's horrifying.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    I have a friend who got disabled from stopping on the side of the highway and waited for help, and some old lady hit his car from behind. Though if he wasn't in his car and just got hit he probably would have died. Still, not a safe area to be regardless. He got messed up pretty bad, was in a wheelchair for almost 6 months. Eventually was able to walk again but was never the same.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    I have a friend who got disabled from stopping on the side of the highway and waited for help, and some old lady hit his car from behind. Though if he wasn't in his car and just got hit he probably would have died. Still, not a safe area to be regardless. He got messed up pretty bad, was in a wheelchair for almost 6 months. Eventually was able to walk again but was never the same.
    sorry to hear, but like you said at least he's alive. Yeah, if the car is in trouble your supposed to pull over to the shoulder, as far from moving traffic as possible. If the shoulder is wide your better off. But sometimes in LA for example, there are these soundwalls along the freeway that sit right on the shoulder so there's nowhere to go but park your car on a 8-10 foot wide shoulder and pray no stray vehicle hits you while you wait in your car for help.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    I remember years ago, my driver's ed instructor told us, "If you're broken down, staying inside your car is the safest - but keep in mind, if it's late at night, your flashing tail lights will act like a shining holy beacon for every drunk on the highway. So you might want to just get away from the road entirely."

Sadly, a guy in my college class got killed that way, while the passenger who had climbed a fence to go get help at a gas station was fine, although certainly shocked to discover what happened.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Haskins was legally drunk and had drugs in his system at the time of his death. Sorry to those who don't think this is part of the story, but it is. He threw his life away and it's very sad.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...icology-report

He was 3 times the legal limit plus on drugs. That explains a lot and I can't feel sorry for him. Dude had a wife and small child and did this, what a moron.

Some people will sabotage themselves no matter how many chances they’re given.

He was 3 times the legal limit plus on drugs. That explains a lot and I can't feel sorry for him. Dude had a wife and small child and did this, what a moron.
    and another woman in the car when he ran out of gas , wife was 800 miles away in Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Im glad he ran out of gas before he killed innocent family. I’ve seen it many times, drunk relaxed guy walks away with minor injuries while killing others. Pretty basic shit, if you know you’re drinking plan on a designated driver.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Sad. Tragic. And predictable.

Wanted to believe the “best” about a horrible situation but I’m not going to lie and say some version of this wasn’t my first knee-jerk reaction when I heard the news.