Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fitzpatrick deal close… Mathieu likes Tomlin

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Re: Fitzpatrick deal close… Mathieu likes Tomlin

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    If we can sign Tyrann, and we draft Stingley, our secondary would be scary good:

CB1: Stingley
    CB2: Witherspoon
    NB: Sutton
    DB: Norwood
    SS: Mathieu
    FS: Fitzpatrick
    The Lisfranc injury with Stingley scares me. That is the same injury that plagued Senquez Golson and put Duce Staley in sweatpants on the Steelers sidelines.

Could be the biggest boom or bust guy in the first round.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    The Lisfranc injury with Stingley scares me. That is the same injury that plagued Senquez Golson and put Duce Staley in sweatpants on the Steelers sidelines.

Could be the biggest boom or bust guy in the first round.
    My wife and I played competitive volleyball in college and there after (we're both in our 50's now) and she had the same injury on her right foot in her early 40's. Now of course we're not professional athletes but we were pretty dam good at VB. Point is once she suffered that injury she was never the same and it never fully ever seems to heal.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

foot injuries are no joke!!!

I remember a Sports Illustrated graphic of Steve McNair showing how he had played through an assortment of inhuries (quad, shoulder, neck, ribs)… some simultaneously.

Then, the next season, a foot injury (and only a foot injury) sidelined him for most of the season.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

foot injuries are no joke!!!

I remember a Sports Illustrated graphic of Steve McNair showing how he had played through an assortment of inhuries (quad, shoulder, neck, ribs)… some simultaneously.

Then, the next season, a foot injury (and only a foot injury) sidelined him for most of the season.
    Lisfranc injuries are named after Napoleon Boneparte's surgeon, as it was an injury that happened to several horsemen under Napoleon's command, where they got thrown from their horses while their feet were stuck in the stirrups.

Its an injury or fracture, where there are at times not bones broken, but the connective cartilage or tendons are damaged and the bones are displaced from their natural position. Somebody getting their foot twisted or fallen on in an unnatural position can cause it and it can be challenging do diagnose or correct. Its not a point of just putting it in a cast and it will heal, but rather the foot needs to be put in the natural shape(sometimes with surgical pins and wires) so it can heal.

I expect the team physicians to scrutinize whatever degree of injury that Stingley had and it may drop him in the draft. Like you say, its no joke and like ET said, it can be something that never returns to the original form for the athlete(or volleyball player).

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Lisfranc injuries are named after Napoleon Boneparte's surgeon, as it was an injury that happened to several horsemen under Napoleon's command, where they got thrown from their horses while their feet were stuck in the stirrups.

Its an injury or fracture, where there are at times not bones broken, but the connective cartilage or tendons are damaged and the bones are displaced from their natural position. Somebody getting their foot twisted or fallen on in an unnatural position can cause it and it can be challenging do diagnose or correct. Its not a point of just putting it in a cast and it will heal, but rather the foot needs to be put in the natural shape(sometimes with surgical pins and wires) so it can heal.

I expect the team physicians to scrutinize whatever degree of injury that Stingley had and it may drop him in the draft. Like you say, its no joke and like ET said, it can be something that never returns to the original form for the athlete(or volleyball player).

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Najee, Friermuth, Moore Jr., Green, Norwood. Started as rookies??

So you are telling me there's a chance?
    there is a chance
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post

Yeah, most of the volleyball players I knew had vertical jumping ability, but werent much use in other sports like basketball, football or baseball. Some ran cross country and stuff that didnt require much hand-eye or lateral movement, so we used to jokingly talk trash.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Najee, Friermuth, Moore Jr., Green, Norwood. Started as rookies??

So you are telling me there's a chance?
    And apparently all were round 4 DBs as well.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    And apparently all were round 4 DBs as well.

nope but Tre Norwood was a 7th rounder ... for the record nobody claimed 5 rookie starters where DBs , but someone did claim we don't start rookies outside of the first two rounds and that is why the 5 rookies where mentioned ... first , second , 3rd , 4th , 7th round picks #facts

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    nope but Tre Norwood was a 7th rounder ... for the record nobody claimed 5 rookie starters where DBs , but someone did claim we don't start rookies outside of the first two rounds and that is why the 5 rookies where mentioned ... first , second , 3rd , 4th , 7th round picks #facts
    The entire conversation was about DBs and Safeties specifically. AND...#facts, 4th round and later DBs do not contribute nor start for any team year1 generally speaking. Norwood has been a very pleasant surprise and a steal in round 7. Give him his credit but no need to pound this table trying to make a moot point. BUT...if this is indeed your mountain to defend then I will yield if it means we can get back to talking actual football, this year's draft, and the FA market.

Yeah, most of the volleyball players I knew had vertical jumping ability, but werent much use in other sports like basketball, football or baseball. Some ran cross country and stuff that didnt require much hand-eye or lateral movement, so we used to jokingly talk trash.
    I played ice hockey as well. I was a rarity. Seriously though my wife was fast and could cover a lot of ground before her foot injury then never the same. We actually met in our 20's playing coed doubles on the beach. Man that was a lifetime ago.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Keanu Neal is off of the market.

Tyrann is taking his time.

Supposedly, the Steelers have an offer (small) on the table for Edmunds to sign at any point that he wants to sign it…

Keanu Neal is off of the market.

Tyrann is taking his time.

Supposedly, the Steelers have an offer (small) on the table for Edmunds to sign at any point that he wants to sign it…
    Edmunds is not the worst thing that can happen. His 5th year option may have been too much to offer but bringing him back would not hurt my feelings.

Edmunds is not the worst thing that can happen. His 5th year option may have been too much to offer but bringing him back would not hurt my feelings.
    He’s solid. TEs used to kill us. Not any more.

He’s similar to Larry Foote: solid, but not dynamic.

Foote made routine plays routinely , he got so much shit based off of one play where he was at a leverage disadvantage , otherwise he was a good linebacker for a team that was used to greatness at the Position ... in other words spoiled fan syndrome

Foote made routine plays routinely , he got so much shit based off of one play where he was at a leverage disadvantage , otherwise he was a good linebacker for a team that was used to greatness at the Position ... in other words spoiled fan syndrome
    Right!!!

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Larry Slow-a-Foote

Agreed he was a solid linebacker, just that nickname always cracked me up. Though he was treated unfairly by some writers, he was a solid linebacker surrounded by greatness

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Larry Slow-a-Foote

Agreed he was a solid linebacker, just that nickname always cracked me up. Though he was treated unfairly by some writers, he was a solid linebacker surrounded by greatness
    The juxtaposition between him and The Winged God of Linebacking made him look worse than he actually was.

There was an SI article about how Foote was the “worst” starter on the 2008 defense. People missed the point of the article. It was not that Foote sucked; it was that the “weakest link” was actually still very good.

The entire conversation was about DBs and Safeties specifically. AND...#facts, 4th round and later DBs do not contribute nor start for any team year1 generally speaking. Norwood has been a very pleasant surprise and a steal in round 7. Give him his credit but no need to pound this table trying to make a moot point. BUT...if this is indeed your mountain to defend then I will yield if it means we can get back to talking actual football, this year's draft, and the FA market.
    and my entire original reply was this exactly
    Norwood started 3 games last year ( including week 1 ) and 5 week 1 starters as rookies last year for steelers
    but since you been snide as hell towards me, not sure who pissed in your cheerios but it wasn't me ...

hope the rest of your day is better

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

The juxtaposition between him and The Winged God of Linebacking made him look worse than he actually was.

There was an SI article about how Foote was the “worst” starter on the 2008 defense. People missed the point of the article. It was not that Foote sucked; it was that the “weakest link” was actually still very good.
    That defense was stacked. Honestly I got spoiled during those years, it seemed the norm that NO running back could gain any yards on our defense (other than fred taylor for whatever reason. yeah he was a good RB but our D routinely shut down good running backs). The patriots****** knew how to attack that D though, it was pointless to run against them so use short passes as 'running plays'. god i hated kevin faulk

and my entire original reply was this exactly

but since you been snide as hell towards me, not sure who pissed in your cheerios but it wasn't me ...

hope the rest of your day is better
    If my comments seem 'snide' to you, it's the tone with which you read them.

.. in other words spoiled fan syndrome
    so true, but a lot of fans dont want to hear it. Especially if the player cost them a loss in Fantasy Football.

Damn, I really wanted Neal.