Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: whats wrong with this country ?? i'll tell you

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: whats wrong with this country ?? i'll tell you

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    So, suddenly we went from "The cost of college is super inflated because so much money is wasted by administrators spending like drunken sailors on stupid shit," to "Actually, it's because they're underfunded by the government and it's because of red-state Republicans that it's that way everywhere." These are not exactly two viewpoints that support each other.

Then again, sometimes I forget that I'm talking to someone who was prone to saying things like, "People are just plowing their cars into crowds of protesters!!" instead of "Liberal hate mobs are trying to drag people out of their cars and beat them to death, and some of the attackers got run over while attempting to murder someone." So I guess I need to remember to temper my expectations.
    Again...you're ignorant of the actual facts regarding higher ed funding and budgeting and attacking the presentation of them because you feel the need to burnish some ideological point.

The facts that college costs have soared due to bloated admin salaries and more of that cost has been passed on to the students via tuition due to dramatic decreases in state funding can both be true at the same time. It isn't a complex relationship.

Colleges spend money on stupid shit because they have no idea how to consistently attract students. Largely because no one has any idea how to consistently appeal to 18 year olds. Then the money tap gets turned off at statehouses because it is the cool guy move and conservative street cred flex to hold the liberal brainwashing institution responsible for the current culture war buzzword of the moment. Colleges aren't going to stop spending cash, so they pass that on to the students as tuition increases. Meanwhile, they cut teaching dollars and continue to spend admin dollars in a quest to attract more students.

Maybe California is different....I don't know. I don't live and work there. But I have been involved in higher education in my home state for over two decades and the above is an accurate and straightforward capsule summary of how the publicly funded university system has functioned here. Not sure why it comes across as controversial or problematic. It is just history.

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

Give a lib a fish--he eats for a day

Teach a lib to fish--he is back the next day asking for more free fish.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Again...you're ignorant of the actual facts regarding higher ed funding and budgeting and attacking the presentation of them because you feel the need to burnish some ideological point.

The facts that college costs have soared due to bloated admin salaries and more of that cost has been passed on to the students via tuition due to dramatic decreases in state funding can both be true at the same time. It isn't a complex relationship.

Colleges spend money on stupid shit because they have no idea how to consistently attract students. Largely because no one has any idea how to consistently appeal to 18 year olds. Then the money tap gets turned off at statehouses because it is the cool guy move and conservative street cred flex to hold the liberal brainwashing institution responsible for the current culture war buzzword of the moment. Colleges aren't going to stop spending cash, so they pass that on to the students as tuition increases. Meanwhile, they cut teaching dollars and continue to spend admin dollars in a quest to attract more students.

Maybe California is different....I don't know. I don't live and work there. But I have been involved in higher education in my home state for over two decades and the above is an accurate and straightforward capsule summary of how the publicly funded university system has functioned here. Not sure why it comes across as controversial or problematic. It is just history.
    Why it's problematic is because it looks like just more blame-shifting, and of course trying to make it into a political problem when it isn't really a political problem. Although as usual, the Democrat solution to it once they have deemed it a political issue shows they have completely missed the point.

Let's recognize the problem at its most fundamental level. A group of people sees that they have what amounts to a controlled market, and so they gouge everyone else mercilessly for their own benefit. That's it. That's the entire problem.

Colleges do this. Hospitals do it. Internet providers do it. Drug companies do it. Government contractors do it. Government agencies do it. People see that certain conditions exist, and they abuse them. Not complicated at all.

So, there are two approaches to this. One is, "oh my gosh, how will we figure out how to pay these people??" The other is, "why are these (British word for cigarettes) even being allowed to get away with this, it's stupid and they're pissing off the whole country."

Inevitably, people bring the government into it to try to solve it. One side says let's just pay up, we'll have the government do it. The other side says if the government should give them anything, it's a fucking sledgehammer to the jaw. It amounts to the difference between treating skin cancer with a band-aid - a really expensive band-aid - or actually dealing with it.

Why do the Democrats always prefer the former approach? Is it because they're stupid and shortsighted? Is it because it lets them take the easy way out while also posturing as generous benefactors and champions of equality? Is it because it allows them to extend government influence into more areas, while simultaneously making more potential voters dependent on them? Is it a cheap trick to buy the respect of the least intelligent, pandering to convince them things are bad and only the government can rescue them? Is it because they're fond of creating gigantic money pits into which billions can disappear, and wouldn't it be a weird coincidence if some part of the money and influence found its way into the hands of the politically well-connected? Probably all of those if we're being honest. They really are some shitty people.

Meanwhile, the real answer is that the colleges need to eat some shit until they acknowledge that most of their markup is just brand cachet, and 90% of what they do is the same as what community colleges do at a small fraction of the cost. Hospitals need to eat shit until they acknowledge your $60,000 medical bill is really an $8,000 medical bill and cost them $4,000. Yes, that's more difficult, because no one wants to give up a sweet deal. But rooting it out is the answer, not having everyone pay into it and further obfuscating the cost.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Orion has a reputation beyond repute"> Orion's Avatar

Solid rant. But totally unrelated.

How is you screwing up your taxes some larger indictment of anything? You close with demanding people take personal responsibility for their loans and education choices - but reject personal responsibility for your own tax situation and blame the IRS and your employer.

I mean I have an employer that is notorious for not taking enough out of my checks. So I do it. Same thing with student loans. I have a ton of them. I pay what I can each month. Have for years and will continue to do so until the heat death of the universe.

Doing both those things doesn't mean I can't think debt relief or tax relief are good ideas.
    The money that is being wiped out has already been extracted and spent. And it was never coming back.
    you act as if there is NO way to collect the debt . i'm just pointing out there is. like you said. you pay it back as you are able. well some people need a shove in that direction. they could be paying something, they simply choose not to. just like the people who have to be forced to pay child support.
    what is the interest rates on a student loan ?

Senior Member Array title="Orion has a reputation beyond repute"> Orion's Avatar

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

Nothing to see here................................

Senior Member Array title="willy has a reputation beyond repute"> willy's Avatar

Fact check: False claim of phone calls between Pelosi's office and targeted rallygoer before Jan. 6 riot

Sudiksha Kochi

USA TODAY

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...6/10167077002/

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Senior Member Array title="willy has a reputation beyond repute"> willy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mach1 View Post

You should get together with her because you don't have any.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

To Steelreserve: Any entity dependent on tax payer funds for significant portions of its operating budget and regulated by the state legislature is inherently a political exercise. Again, not an opinion, but a fact of the matter. It would be better if it wasn't but, here, University funding is one of the top annual political footballs. And it isn't even always over politically explosive issues. But like getting the funding needed to keep the heat on and the grass mowed kinda stuff.

To Orion: I think you may not understand how student loan debt works. It isn't being paid back because people are defaulting. It is not going to be paid back because the issuers of the loans agree with the borrowers that they are financially unable to repay the debt and severely scaled back terms are negotiated.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Liberals are always needlessly overcomplicating things. Like, they could take the most basic problem in the world and find a way to twist it all up into a ball while they strut around looking smart and coming up with nothing that actually does any good at all. For instance:

Normal Person: "Hey! That guy's being a complete asshole! Someone should beat the shit out of him."

Liberal: "Yes BUT being an asshole isn't really even a thing anymore, there are many subsets that are each acknowledged as the manifestation of clinically recognized underlying conditions - which you'd know if you'd studied it like I have."

Normal Person: "Uh, the dude's trying to break into my car now, I think I should beat the shit out of him."

Liberal: "Clearly you don't understand all that's behind it, as your unhinged rant demonstrates. It's fine if you want to keep believing the problem is that the guy is just an asshole, but like, every expert agrees on the subject and they'll all tell you you're wrong. I can't help you if you choose to keep ignoring that."

Liberal Sidekick: "It's funny but also sad to see them lashing out in their ignorance."

Liberal #1: "Oh yes, I agree. I get a good laugh out of it. Here's a scholarly article from Rutgers that concludes being an asshole is clearly a spectrum based on complex neurochemical interactions. It's funny to watch them try to pretend they understand it."

Liberal Sidekick: "You know, thinking you know better than the experts is a sign of mental instability."

Liberal #1: "Oh, absolutely. Most conspiracy theorists are sociopaths. That's really all this is, another conspiracy theory born out of ignorance."

Liberal Sidekick: "It would be hilarious if it wasn't also so dangerous."

Normal Person: "Hey, this asshole broke into six more cars while you guys were talking."

Liberal #1: "Keep going, this is hilarious."

Liberal Sidekick: "Hey, are you sucking your own dick?"

Liberal #1: "I was about to."

Liberal Sidekick: "Mind if I get in on that?"

All: *slurp slurp slurp*
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Last edited by Orion; 09-20-2022 at 12:08 AM.

Migrants flown to Martha's Vineyard file class action lawsuit against DeSantis

A group of migrants huddles on a sidewalk in front of St. Andrews Episcopal Church on Martha’s Vineyard, Mass. Two planes with migrants from Venezuela aboard arrived suddenly Wednesday night on the island. Photo: Jonathan Wiggs/The Boston Globe via Getty ImagesThe undocumented migrants flown to Martha's Vineyard last week filed a class action lawsuitTuesday against Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis and other Florida officials.

Driving the news: The migrants allege in the complaint that they were given misleading information promising cash assistance, employment services and housing assistance, which they called "bold-faced lies."

• The nearly 50 migrants, mostly Venezuelan, said they were told they were headed to Boston and Washington, D.C., according to the complaint.
    • They allege Florida officials "manufactured" an "official-looking brochure" using language from the Massachusetts Refugee Resettlement Program in order to "buttress their false oral representations ... in furtherance of the conspiracy."
    • They escaped a humanitarian crisis in Venezuela only for DeSantis to use them as "pawns in a political stunt," the complaint states.
    • The migrants, who are being represented by Boston-based Lawyers for Civil Rights, say they "suffered economic, emotional, and constitutional harms" that amount to a minimum of $75,000. They're also asking the federal court to block DeSantis from repeating his actions.

What else they're saying: The complaint argues that the Florida officials' conduct discriminates "on the basis of alienage" and deprives them of the equal protection of laws under the 14th Amendment.

• Florida officials have "intentionally targeted only individuals who are non-white and born outside the United States," they allege.
    • "Defendants' actions not only offend all notions of fairness, but they also stripped Plaintiffs of their basic human dignity, in violation of due process."

https://www.axios.com/2022/09/20/mig...neyard-lawsuit

what is an "immigrint" ?

what is an "immigrint" ?
    You spelled Illegal Alien wrong.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post

"Fact check: Ghislaine Maxwell has not spoken to a U.N. legislative body nine times

By Reuters Staff

Posts on Facebook and Instagram claim that Ghislaine Maxwell, the former girlfriend and longtime associate of the late accused sex offender Jeffrey Epstein, has spoken before the United Nations (U.N.) nine times. This claim is incorrect. Maxwell has never spoken to a U.N. legislative body, but rather at two events held at the U.N. as the founder of an oceanic conservation group."

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-f...-idUSKBN25M1TA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by willy View Post
    "Fact check: Ghislaine Maxwell has not spoken to a U.N. legislative body nine times

By Reuters Staff

Posts on Facebook and Instagram claim that Ghislaine Maxwell, the former girlfriend and longtime associate of the late accused sex offender Jeffrey Epstein, has spoken before the United Nations (U.N.) nine times. This claim is incorrect. Maxwell has never spoken to a U.N. legislative body, but rather at two events held at the U.N. as the founder of an oceanic conservation group."

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-f...-idUSKBN25M1TA

If your relying on Fact Check you may have a problem with your source...

Annenberg Public Policy Center’s director, Kathleen Hall Jamieson, recruited Brooks Jackson to found FactCheck.org. Jamieson "has also served on the board of the
    Center for Public Integrity, a left-leaning investigative journalism nonprofit that receives funding from left-wing hedge fund manager George Soros."

100% of "fact" checkers , agree with whoever is paying them. kinda like scientist will say whatever the people who is funding them wants them to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    100% of "fact" checkers , agree with whoever is paying them. kinda like scientist will say whatever the people who is funding them wants them to say.
    In other words you got nothing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    If your relying on Fact Check you may have a problem with your source...

Annenberg Public Policy Center’s director, Kathleen Hall Jamieson, recruited Brooks Jackson to found FactCheck.org. Jamieson "has also served on the board of the
    Center for Public Integrity, a left-leaning investigative journalism nonprofit that receives funding from left-wing hedge fund manager George Soros."

Than prove that Maxwell spoke in front of the UN 9 times. Even if she did does that mean evil pedophiles are running the world? Please.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Last edited by Orion; 09-28-2022 at 12:48 AM.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

I'm glad Joe is begging the saudis for more oil. Got to do something with skyrocketing gas prices - $7+ per gallon in so cal.

Hope he gets that gas can filled.......

He's begging for 5 gallons of that wind energy.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Mach1 View Post
    He's begging for 5 gallons of that wind energy.
    he probably is because he's not getting much oil from them

$8+ /gallon now

and the strategic reserve is gone....just frikin brilliant....