Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: whats wrong with this country ?? i'll tell you

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Re: whats wrong with this country ?? i'll tell you

Quote Originally Posted by willy View Post
    BS, whites commit 3 times as many mass murders as blacks.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...hooter-s-race/

In 1982 the white population was 80 percent of USA. Stats don’t paint true picture. As you know more white people killed by cops as well. Always trying to paint a narrative

Senior Member Array title="willy has a reputation beyond repute"> willy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
    it’s like comparing those in line at a homeless food kitchen to those in line at their work cafeteria. Earned vs handout. Get it now gramps?
    None of this matters to you commie cigar. You're not eligible either way.

- - - Updated - - -

In 1982 the white population was 80 percent of USA. Stats don’t paint true picture. As you know more white people killed by cops as well. Always trying to paint a narrative
    Hey, commie, it was in response to another wacko far right post. As usual it went over your head.

Senior Member Array title="willy has a reputation beyond repute"> willy's Avatar

Many more criminal indictments under Trump, Reagan and Nixon than under Obama, Clinton and Carter

"Recent administrations with the MOST criminal indictments:

Trump (Republican) — 215
    Nixon (Republican) — 76
    Reagan (Republican) — 26

"Recent administrations with the LEAST criminal indictments:

Obama (Democrat) — 0
    Carter (Democrat) — 1
    Clinton (Democrat) — 2
    "Notice a pattern?"
    https://www.politifact.com/factcheck...trump-reagan-/

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

Deocrats are better at getting out of shit?

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

Give a lib a fish--he eats for a day

Teach a lib to fish--he is back the next day asking for more free fish.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

Vote buying 101.

Senior Member Array title="Orion has a reputation beyond repute"> Orion's Avatar

BS, whites commit 3 times as many mass murders as blacks.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...hooter-s-race/

https://www.mass-shootings.info/stat....php?year=2021

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

90% of mass shooters are registered democrats and not members of the NRA or concealed carry folks .... ohhhh also most of them are done in GUN FREE ZONES ... its high time we take the target off the schools with those signs saying gun free zones and put up signs saying if you come here with intent to do harm we will shoot back !!
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Orion has a reputation beyond repute"> Orion's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Here's the thing....most of that debt was currently not being paid back in a manner that moves the needle at all. Large swaths of it were in default or going to be.

That money got lit on fire years ago.

Taking some of the debt load off of people allows them to do things that benefit all of us. Like have a debt to income ratio that allows them to qualify for mortgages, car loans, and finance large $$$ durable goods purchases. The exact kinds of consumer spending that tend to drive upward movement in the overall economy.

But the memes are pretty clever.

One request, can Orion and Willy learn how to resize images? My scrolling hand is getting tuckered out.

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Here's the thing....most of that debt was currently not being paid back in a manner that moves the needle at all. Large swaths of it were in default or going to be.

Taking some of the debt load off of people allows them to do things that benefit all of us. Like have a debt to income ratio that allows them to qualify for mortgages, car loans, and finance large $$$ durable goods purchases. The exact kinds of consumer spending that tend to drive upward movement in the overall economy.

One request, can Orion and Willy learn how to resize images? My scrolling hand is getting tuckered out.
    Here's the thing. If you take out a loan, you yourself are responsible for said loan. Not the waitress at the local restaurant.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mach1 View Post
    Here's the thing. If you take out a loan, you yourself are responsible for said loan. Not the waitress at the local restaurant.

Sure.

But the point is that a high % of these loans were not going to get paid back and are not currently being paid back. The money is gone. The government is not taking current tax $$$ and reallocating them. They are just writing the debt off.

This move allows some people to redirect portions of their income to things that benefit the larger economy.

Certainly a better use of gov't cash than another tax write off for corporations or another bailout for the banks or airlines.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

It all sounds good, it can help those struggling. Problem is it’s on the backs of middle class. I just dropped daughter off at college. I wrote a check for first year. Guess what, I paid for it working a retirement job. She qualified for a measly grand a semester. In which she or I will pay no doubt.

It all sounds good, it can help those struggling. Problem is it’s on the backs of middle class. I just dropped daughter off at college. I wrote a check for first year. Guess what, I paid for it working a retirement job. She qualified for a measly grand a semester. In which she or I will pay no doubt.
    Ok. But...there is no "cost" to the middle class here. The money that is being wiped out has already been extracted and spent. And it was never coming back.

The check you wrote for your daughter is because college tuition is outrageous and no one should be paying it. Financial aid is a joke and is typically an enticement to get you to write the tuition check...kinda like when stores advertise such and such below MSRP when no one pays MSRP.

I work in higher ed and college costs are just ridiculous. Majority of that check you wrote will go to pay administrators bloated salaries and a shockingly minimal amount will make it into areas that will have any impact on your daughter's education. Like if you and your kid knew where all those dollars went, you might not go to college. But this is starting a rant that no one cares about and is only minimally related to the topic at hand.

College is expensive. It sucks paying for it. Carrying loads of student loan debt sucks also. It prevents you from making other economic decisions.

The higher ed system is totally broken and works for basically no one except fat cat admins at the highest levels. Those actually teaching and learning? Not enough of either going on and from one side it doesn't pay enough and from the other it isn't worth the ludicrous costs.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

The problem with the cost of higher education is the same as the problem with the cost of health care. For slightly different reasons, they have both become decoupled from the normal free market, where there is price competition and people make decisions based on cost - and so the price has nothing to do with reality.

In both cases, this is because there is a whole system set up to ensure that much/most of the money that arrives at these institutions does so with the help of a third party, through a process that is essentially a black box. For health care, that's the insurance system. For universities, it's the financial aid system, which by extension includes all the government-backed loans out there.

In the case of health care, it's extreme ridiculousness - many times, you couldn't even find out the "real" price if you tried. We'll tell you once you're finished, like that oyster restaurant somewhere in Greece that was famous for ripping off tourists. Only for some reason, that's considered perfectly acceptable for the doctor to do.

With universities, I guess they at least ostensibly tell you what it costs, but of course just like Lionel Hutts said - there's "the price" (negative head shake) ... and "THE PRICE!" (big smile and nod).

But for both, the premise is the same - the price is whatever, don't think about it too much, the money also comes in from wherever, so it's probably fine, unless you're one of the unlucky ones who gets nailed.

Now, the solution to that is certainly not to keep the same system, where there is every incentive to gouge away relentlessly, and simply change the black box so that the government is the one funneling in more of the money, making the system effectively enshrined in law. But that's what these Democrat proposals are. It's no wonder people call them dipshits.

Oh hey, look over there, a billionaire! It's probably his fault. Let's stupidly raise taxes on ourselves, that'll show him.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    The problem with the cost of higher education is the same as the problem with the cost of health care. For slightly different reasons, they have both become decoupled from the normal free market, where there is price competition and people make decisions based on cost - and so the price has nothing to do with reality.

In both cases, this is because there is a whole system set up to ensure that much/most of the money that arrives at these institutions does so with the help of a third party, through a process that is essentially a black box. For health care, that's the insurance system. For universities, it's the financial aid system, which by extension includes all the government-backed loans out there.

In the case of health care, it's extreme ridiculousness - many times, you couldn't even find out the "real" price if you tried. We'll tell you once you're finished, like that oyster restaurant somewhere in Greece that was famous for ripping off tourists. Only for some reason, that's considered perfectly acceptable for the doctor to do.

With universities, I guess they at least ostensibly tell you what it costs, but of course just like Lionel Hutts said - there's "the price" (negative head shake) ... and "THE PRICE!" (big smile and nod).

But for both, the premise is the same - the price is whatever, don't think about it too much, the money also comes in from wherever, so it's probably fine, unless you're one of the unlucky ones who gets nailed.

Now, the solution to that is certainly not to keep the same system, where there is every incentive to gouge away relentlessly, and simply change the black box so that the government is the one funneling in more of the money, making the system effectively enshrined in law. But that's what these Democrat proposals are. It's no wonder people call them dipshits.

Oh hey, look over there, a billionaire! It's probably his fault. Let's stupidly raise taxes on ourselves, that'll show him.
    Solid rant. But you are missing a crucial element. Why is tuition so high? What changed?

We stopped funding universities. Well, we never funded the private universities so that's not part of the discussion. But all those schools named after states were intended to be largely funded with public dollars and built on public land. Now? Yeah...largely conservative statehouses have turned off the funding at the state level for these universities. In some cases to the point that they can not even keep up with their legally mandated physical infrastructure maintenance.

So what did the unis do? They passed on the funding gap to the consumers. What did the consumers do? Said....crap - we can't afford that and borrowed the cash.

That is the circular nonsense of it all. Statehouses wanted to wriggle out of the fiscal "burden" of education and tout the savings to the taxpayers (neglecting to tell them that they just passed the savings on to some special interest and it didn't really lower anyone's tax bill). In doing so, they just passed the tax bill on to the federal level. Where, you guessed it, we all pay for it anyways.

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

Same with the GI Bill.
    There should be a benefit for serving in the military. A little biased here but I think most would agree with me, veterans should have benefits that your normal citizen doesn't have.

The GI bill and post-retirement benefits are really the main benefits of joining the military. If you compare a profession in a military field to its civilian counterpart, they are significantly paid less, and there's always the danger factor of getting sent to a war zone if they need you there. Even if you don't get killed or permanently injured in battle, getting deployed takes you away from your family for months or even years at a time. Soldiers sacrifice a lot, and if they have that GI bill they earned it.

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHodges View Post
    There should be a benefit for serving in the military. A little biased here but I think most would agree with me, veterans should have benefits that your normal citizen doesn't have.

The GI bill and post-retirement benefits are really the main benefits of joining the military. If you compare a profession in a military field to its civilian counterpart, they are significantly paid less, and there's always the danger factor of getting sent to a war zone if they need you there. Even if you don't get killed or permanently injured in battle, getting deployed takes you away from your family for months or even years at a time. Soldiers sacrifice a lot, and if they have that GI bill they earned it.
    He’s senile, can’t see that military personnel worked for their benefit. The others were gifted money for nothing. Apples to apples in his demented brain.

the forgiven dept is a moot point anyway considering pedo joe doesnt have the power to right off the debts. miss insider trader herself , pelosi even said as much a year ago and for once told the truth. the president doesnt control the money. court challenges have already been filed. this is just more democrat theater and false hope for the brain dead liberals ahead of the mid terms. has any democrats wrote the bill yet for congress to vote on student debt forgiveness ? nope...but they all sure were promising it 2 years ago. it's just another distraction to keep the citizens divided and distracted from the fact that they have nothing to run on.

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    i had a short position in QQQ and SOXX

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Solid rant. But you are missing a crucial element. Why is tuition so high? What changed?

We stopped funding universities. Well, we never funded the private universities so that's not part of the discussion. But all those schools named after states were intended to be largely funded with public dollars and built on public land. Now? Yeah...largely conservative statehouses have turned off the funding at the state level for these universities. In some cases to the point that they can not even keep up with their legally mandated physical infrastructure maintenance.

So what did the unis do? They passed on the funding gap to the consumers. What did the consumers do? Said....crap - we can't afford that and borrowed the cash.

That is the circular nonsense of it all. Statehouses wanted to wriggle out of the fiscal "burden" of education and tout the savings to the taxpayers (neglecting to tell them that they just passed the savings on to some special interest and it didn't really lower anyone's tax bill). In doing so, they just passed the tax bill on to the federal level. Where, you guessed it, we all pay for it anyways.
    So, suddenly we went from "The cost of college is super inflated because so much money is wasted by administrators spending like drunken sailors on stupid shit," to "Actually, it's because they're underfunded by the government and it's because of red-state Republicans that it's that way everywhere." These are not exactly two viewpoints that support each other.

Then again, sometimes I forget that I'm talking to someone who was prone to saying things like, "People are just plowing their cars into crowds of protesters!!" instead of "Liberal hate mobs are trying to drag people out of their cars and beat them to death, and some of the attackers got run over while attempting to murder someone." So I guess I need to remember to temper my expectations.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Ok. But...there is no "cost" to the middle class here. The money that is being wiped out has already been extracted and spent. And it was never coming back.
    do you know what happens when you owe a small amount of taxes ? they dont charge you with tax evasion. they keep any future tax returns you may have coming. happened to me once about 25 years ago. i owed like 700 bucks because my employer wasnt taking enough out, and kind of forgot about it. well the following year i didnt get my return check. i was supposed to get like 1200 back they kept it. in fact it was more than what i owed.

they also have another "trump" card up their sleeve they can use. they use it on people who are behind on child support all the time. its called garnishing your wages. they take that shit right out of your paycheck and dont give a rats ass if you can survive on whats left over. the judge would tell you to get a second job if you complained about it.

i would be fine if they forgo the interest but if you unwisely spent borrowed money on a worthless degree thats on you.

i would be much less against it if the money was going towards people who own hospital bills.

do you know what happens when you owe a small amount of taxes ? they dont charge you with tax evasion. they keep any future tax returns you may have coming. happened to me once about 25 years ago. i owed like 700 bucks because my employer wasnt taking enough out, and kind of forgot about it. well the following year i didnt get my return check. i was supposed to get like 1200 back they kept it. in fact it was more than what i owed.

they also have another "trump" card up their sleeve they can use. they use it on people who are behind on child support all the time. its called garnishing your wages. they take that shit right out of your paycheck and dont give a rats ass if you can survive on whats left over. the judge would tell you to get a second job if you complained about it.

i would be fine if they forgo the interest but if you unwisely spent borrowed money on a worthless degree thats on you.

i would be much less against it if the money was going towards people who own hospital bills.
    They also have nifty little tricks like seizing property and freezing bank accounts.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Solid rant. But totally unrelated.

How is you screwing up your taxes some larger indictment of anything? You close with demanding people take personal responsibility for their loans and education choices - but reject personal responsibility for your own tax situation and blame the IRS and your employer.

I mean I have an employer that is notorious for not taking enough out of my checks. So I do it. Same thing with student loans. I have a ton of them. I pay what I can each month. Have for years and will continue to do so until the heat death of the universe.

Doing both those things doesn't mean I can't think debt relief or tax relief are good ideas.