Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The NFL is a Joke

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

The NFL is a Joke

What a joke the NFL is with respect to good citizenship and victim rights. The highest paid QB has over 20 charges of sexual assault and the highest paid non-QB is a convicted abuser, having beaten his pregnant girlfriend and accused on breaking his toddler-aged son's arm.

I realize talents always trumps everything, but shame on the godless, worthless owners who pay for it. It's utterly shameful.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: The NFL is a Joke

Whatever happens and comes out from the Deshaun Watson issue(s) will happen in their own time and judgement is reserved.

This is a 2020 SportingNews article on the violent history of Tyreek Hill however...
    https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/...t16ik2142ay772

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Hill is a first class thug and I hope the Dolphins organization is cursed for signing him.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    What a joke the NFL is with respect to good citizenship and victim rights. The highest paid QB has over 20 charges of sexual assault and the highest paid non-QB is a convicted abuser, having beaten his pregnant girlfriend and accused on breaking his toddler-aged son's arm.

I realize talents always trumps everything, but shame on the godless, worthless owners who pay for it. It's utterly shameful.

I completely agree but think Watson is the 2nd highest paid but its real close regardless and the point still stands https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...pot/ar-AAUSH5l
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Talking about guaranteed money. Watson is #1.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Talking about guaranteed money. Watson is #1.
    gotcha

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

You know what's a joke, is the fact that there's an NFL conduct policy at all. If you did something criminal, you go to jail and then you can't play football. Other than that, who the fuck cares what you're like as a person? It's a pro football league, not a nice-guy contest.

Guess what, out of any 1,600 or 1,700 guys, you're going to have a good number of jerks. Odds are least 50 will have a serious personality disorder. Hundreds will be drunks and drug users. A third will have a criminal record. Those are just the facts of life. Yet for some reason, people have found it necessary to set up a whole elaborate extrajudicial system so that they can fool themselves into thinking that's not how things are; that sports alone exist within this magical, uncomplicated, squeaky-clean bubble, so they can feel better about themselves when watching a game on TV.

Well guess what, just like everything else, sports are not played only by gentlemen and devoted competitors who do it for the love of the game. Crushing as it may be, a lot of your childhood heroes were probably motherfuckers. No, they are not all nice guys, and you couldn't just hang out and pal around with them if you met them, and they probably don't give a fuck about you. The whole thing is an act so that they can keep pretending instead of facing reality. A lot of people are just not very nice, why is it so important to keep denying that. Fuck the conduct policy.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

The NFL is a business with a high profile. If a high profile employee of Pepsi or Walmart was charged (and possibly convicted) with assault, that person would lose his job, and career. Staying out, or getting out, of prison doesn't guarantee someone the right to earn a living at their desired vocation. But like I said, sleazy owners only want to line their pockets with potential super bowl winners. If the Steelers signed Tyreek, I'd likely turn them off.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

I agree with you. But I still love watching football. I hate Sean penn as a person but he’s a great actor. Barbara Streisand repulses me but her voice is amazing. I’ve tuned the superfluous shit out. Not saying it’s right, but when you have zero control it’s a waste getting pissed off. I mean seriously A dude is dominating womens swimming. This country is beyond phucked up.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Dude, I don’t disagree with you, but if you are adamantly going to take the moral high ground, then you should leave this board, because we are all part of the “joke” NFL every time we post.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

The NFL is a business with a high profile. If a high profile employee of Pepsi or Walmart was charged (and possibly convicted) with assault, that person would lose his job, and career. Staying out, or getting out, of prison doesn't guarantee someone the right to earn a living at their desired vocation. But like I said, sleazy owners only want to line their pockets with potential super bowl winners. If the Steelers signed Tyreek, I'd likely turn them off.
    If a high-profile employee of Pepsi or Wal-Mart was accused of assault, they'd probably lose their job now. There was a time when they'd probably wait until they figured out what actually happened before making knee-jerk reactions. But you're right, the same stupidity has spread to quite a few areas.

The (over)emphasis that is (mis)placed on PR is the root cause of both, and it's not a good thing. The reaction is completely out of proportion to the problem. Bad publicity has become such a boogeyman that it's ridiculous - the NFL, and many other companies, act like any negative news is worse than 20 nuclear bombs going off, when really, nothing actually happens.

Like, let's be real here. If the CEO of Pepsi beat somebody up outside a nightclub, would you stop drinking Pepsi? No, you probably wouldn't. Nobody except a few idiots would do that. Everyone else would go, "hmm, well that guy's a jerk. Oh well, it doesn't really affect me at all, or make me feel bad about drinking a Pepsi. I barely even care." I mean, you had Mike Vick literally killing dogs and going to jail for it, and coming back to the NFL, and it didn't affect the bottom line one iota. Everyone was freaked out over how freaked out people would get, but in the end it was like 4 guys holding a PETA banner outside a sold-out stadium.

I mean, that's all it boils down to. Freaking out that people are going to freak out - but in the end, the only one freaking out is yourself. The league could change its conduct policy tomorrow to say, "We're leaving it up to the individual teams whether they want the guy to play or not," and no one would suddenly think the NFL supports drunk driving and violence against women. A handful of people would SAY that, but few of them would actually believe it, and most would just be the people who love to complain.

Meanwhile, look at what this idea that companies must "stand" for something has gotten people supporting. Ruining people at the first hint of an accusation. Consequences first, facts later. Why would anyone support that? But it's just accepted as the default. And it's pretty gross, if you ask me.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    Dude, I don’t disagree with you, but if you are adamantly going to take the moral high ground, then you should leave this board, because we are all part of the “joke” NFL every time we post.
    I can acknowledge the hypocrisy of something without being part of it bro. I'd have to leave the world to escape this kind of stuff. But I don't have to be like steelreserve either and act like I don't care if they rape and beat our daughters as long as they score a touchdown.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

If I didn't love the Steelers so much, I would have bagged out YEARS ago, but that's a symptom of having the worst commissioner in professional sports for just under two decades at this point more than anything else.

But no longer do I watch every NFL game that's on TV like I used to back in the day either.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    If I didn't love the Steelers so much, I would have bagged out YEARS ago, but that's a symptom of having the worst commissioner in professional sports for just under two decades at this point more than anything else.

But no longer do I watch every NFL game that's on TV like I used to back in the day either.
    Pretty much me right here. I don't even think about football except for the Steelers. Any Monday, Thursday or Sunday game that is not Steelers is not even on my radar. I'll ask co workers who played last night. Oversaturated commercialized and just plain busy is why I don't. I used to see MNF as an "event" but that's no longer a thing anymore.

Same. If the Steelers aren’t on tv, I usually tune into the Red Zone on and off on game days, and never watch MNF…..unless, of course our Black and Gold are playing.

I can acknowledge the hypocrisy of something without being part of it bro. I'd have to leave the world to escape this kind of stuff. But I don't have to be like steelreserve either and act like I don't care if they rape and beat our daughters as long as they score a touchdown.
    As I said, I certainly don’t disagree with you, (I have a daughter myself, and I worry about her all the time), but it would be naive of me to think that this kind of behavior wasn’t going on in the 60s, 70s, and 80s, (and probably worse). We are just exposed to it much more now, with all the “instant” news.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

There are no more dirtballs, sleazeballs, and criminals in professional sports now than there was in 1900, 1950, or whenever.

As Hawk said, that all just got hushed up, swept under the rug, or turned a blind eye to in earlier eras. If you go back far enough (say like the 70's and earlier), it was just regional news and if you were not from that region...you never heard about it.

Professional athletics has always been a wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

When I see the thread title, this song is how I hear it/read it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    There are no more dirtballs, sleazeballs, and criminals in professional sports now than there was in 1900, 1950, or whenever.

As Hawk said, that all just got hushed up, swept under the rug, or turned a blind eye to in earlier eras. If you go back far enough (say like the 70's and earlier), it was just regional news and if you were not from that region...you never heard about it.

wonder what would happen to you today if you took a shot at a helicopter in flight as an NFL player ?

so yes its a different era for sure .... that said it is a hypocrite league that we all condone one way or another ..

the league knows about much of this stuff long before it gets out to the media and only after the media lets the cat out of the bag does the league bother to "punish" players ....

but at the end of the day WE are as guilty as the league and the owners as we are the ones who make said league profitable and we provide the revenue to pay players by commercialization of the league ...

the only way the league hears us is through our wallets and 1 or 2 or even this entire board won't make a difference for every fan that dies 2 more are born it seems so they will likely never stop or change the current business model ... if you run fast , jump high and can throw far and accurately you could very well have a place in the league regardless of what you do as long as you are not in prison , but when you get out you still might ( ask Mike Vick , Donte Stallworth etc )

The difference is they were being paid like insurance agents back then. Now we empower them with hundreds of millions.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I'm sure people complained about the gladiators and chariot races of Rome as well. Likely all the jousting knights from medieval times.

Nothing new under the sun. Same crap, different name.

Clearly, it doesn't really bother any of us all that much. Here we are with thousands of posts each and daily check-ins on an NFL related message board.

I'm sure people complained about the gladiators and chariot races of Rome as well. Likely all the jousting knights from medieval times.

Nothing new under the sun. Same crap, different name.

Clearly, it doesn't really bother any of us all that much. Here we are with thousands of posts each and daily check-ins on an NFL related message board.
    It bothers me plenty. I strongly disagree with it. I wanted Ben traded when his deal happened and only after I saw changes in him did I change my position. I can both hate thuggery and the abuse of women and children and love watching football at the same time. Maybe some people can't, but I can.

Quote Originally Posted by willy View Post
    Yet here you are.
    That’s right tom. And you’re like a hemorrhoid that won’t go away.

It bothers me plenty. I strongly disagree with it. I wanted Ben traded when his deal happened and only after I saw changes in him did I change my position. I can both hate thuggery and the abuse of women and children and love watching football at the same time. Maybe some people can't, but I can.
    I don’t think anyone is pro thuggery and abuse. Not a position you really see people advocating for.

You bring this up often. How against it and upset you are. But not enough to stop watching and generating $$$ for the NFL.

Looking at the ratings numbers, attendance, and merch sales it’s not bothering many people in the least.

Like you and others have said. It’s all about the dollars. As long as they keep flowing, nothing else matters.

I don’t think anyone is pro thuggery and abuse. Not a position you really see people advocating for.

You bring this up often. How against it and upset you are. But not enough to stop watching and generating $$$ for the NFL.

Looking at the ratings numbers, attendance, and merch sales it’s not bothering many people in the least.

Like you and others have said. It’s all about the dollars. As long as they keep flowing, nothing else matters.
    I really don’t think it bothers some people at all. As can be seen by a couple posts in this thread. As simple as it might seem for you to tell me I don’t care enough, you’re really not in a position to make that judgment. So if I stop watching, I have a bigger voice? I can continue to get behind the many good things and speak out against the perverse things I see. I don’t blame Goodell. I hold the owners responsible. If the Rooney’s ever lead the organization like many others do, I will cease from being a Steelers fan. I will never cheer for men who beat women and/or children. I will always speak out against it. In your world that might mean you cancel football out of your life. Sorry but I’m not gonna let the pricks dictate my life.

Senior Member Array title="willy has a reputation beyond repute"> willy's Avatar

Sorry but I’m not gonna let the pricks dictate my life.
    Sounds like they are though.

The truth is it's always been this way.

I really don’t think it bothers some people at all. As can be seen by a couple posts in this thread. As simple as it might seem for you to tell me I don’t care enough, you’re really not in a position to make that judgment. So if I stop watching, I have a bigger voice? I can continue to get behind the many good things and speak out against the perverse things I see. I don’t blame Goodell. I hold the owners responsible. If the Rooney’s ever lead the organization like many others do, I will cease from being a Steelers fan. I will never cheer for men who beat women and/or children. I will always speak out against it. In your world that might mean you cancel football out of your life. Sorry but I’m not gonna let the pricks dictate my life.
    You’re arguing a point I wasn’t making.

1. The owners are the problem. Always have been.
    2. They only care about $$$.
    3. Every NFL or NFL adjacent content we each consume leads to $$$ for the owners.
    4. Keeping the cash registers ringing forestalls any change on the part of the owners.
    5. I’ve made my peace with my NFL fandom empowering owners to continue to overlook scumbag players. You don’t seem to have made peace with it.

6. Steelers aren’t special. They’ve employed sexual predators, domestic abusers (of both women and children), drug dealers, addicts, and a variety of other crimes. I’m pretty sure my avatar and favorite all time Steeler stuck a loaded pistol in his son’s mouth.

These teams and players are just people doing a job. They’re not role models or moral touchstones.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

same here. I still see the Steelers as a decent family run organization that goes back to the teams founding...and winning with class. How many teams can say that? If they had sold say to the likes of a Bob Kraft or a Snyder, or Ross from Miami, i would've probably stopped watching also..as far as the players, every team has its good and bad, we had our AB's (And i think its still a testament to the organization that AB had his longest most productive years with the steelers) MB's, and Lloyds, but we've also had our Greene's, Ham's, Franco's, Stallworth's, Polamalu's......i think the steelers players have overall been better than most teams....

Also look at our coaches, Noll, Cowher and Tomlin, as far as leadership, character and really winning, this short string of coaches can't be beat. This team is pretty much the only reason i still watch.
    Last edited by Steeler-in-west; 03-28-2022 at 11:57 PM.

6. Steelers aren’t special. They’ve employed sexual predators, domestic abusers (of both women and children), drug dealers, addicts, and a variety of other crimes. I’m pretty sure my avatar and favorite all time Steeler stuck a loaded pistol in his son’s mouth.
    As I think I've read recently from you (IIRC), there's a difference between standing by your guy (within reason) and pursuing these kinds of guys in free agency to be the face of your franchise. If it comes to that, I'll find another team.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

And now this from the league:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...ole/ar-AAVAgIN

The league has mandated that EVERY team will have to have a minority coach in a key offensive role. What a joke this league is. I despise these diversity, equity and inclusion committee's. They are PURE bullshit. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING in life should be based off of equity. Yes I get it racism still exists in 2022 (it will always exist, but that is another argument, altogether) but when you start basing your outcome on equity and numbers and not equality and experience you always end up with an inferior product that turns to shit.

This is literally their new mandate:
    The new minority offensive assistant requirement comes as part of an initiative that will be partially funded by the league. The coach must have at least three years of college or pro coaching experience and must work closely with the head coach and offensive coordinator.
    So only on offense, not defense? What about trans people, red heads, Asians are they going to mandate more of those people? So will there be more white players on defense? Seriously who comes up with these stupid ideas? So the NFL's way to fight discrimination is to discriminate, got it. The NFL is just opening itself up to lawsuits from the other side by instituting these stupid rules. JUST HIRE THE MOST QUALIFIED PERSON. Or better yet the NFL should help minorities become coaches at lower levels like college and let the process play out, but again trying to force equity is moronic.