Thread: should the NFL change the way the cap works ?

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

should the NFL change the way the cap works ?

Florida , Texas , Nevada are all state tax free , thus can offer contracts at a lower amount and still be paying players as much or more ...

since Free agency is all about the $$$ is it not a bit unfair to other teams ?

why not take the average amount of state tax by nfl teams having to pay it and reducing the cap of the teams that have no state tax that would make it a more even playing field come free agency IMO ...

thoughts ?
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Re: should the NFL change the way the cap works ?

Not a crazy idea but if you like a team in a crazy blue state you're screwed! Although the Yankees or Dodgers sure don't seem to be affected by this.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    Not a crazy idea but if you like a team in a crazy blue state you're screwed! Although the Yankees or Dodgers sure don't seem to be affected by this.
    That's baseball without a hard salary cap.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    That's baseball without a hard salary cap.
    Yes but those teams (and players) are still signing and paying ridiculous taxes.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    Yes but those teams (and players) are still signing and paying ridiculous taxes.
    Yes. And part of the reason why those teams have such high payrolls. NFL teams can't go above the cap like they do in other sports. I think that is the point of the question.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    Florida , Texas , Nevada are all state tax free , thus can offer contracts at a lower amount and still be paying players as much or more ...

since Free agency is all about the $$$ is it not a bit unfair to other teams ?

why not take the average amount of state tax by nfl teams having to pay it and reducing the cap of the teams that have no state tax that would make it a more even playing field come free agency IMO ...

thoughts ?
    I think the NFL sticks to the 'Hard Cap' to keep parity across the league. You can see the shift in power in the other major sports leagues with soft caps or no cap.

Too much tax law, accounting, and math for me to get into the rest of that.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post

I think the NFL sticks to the 'Hard Cap' to keep parity across the league. You can see the shift in power in the other major sports leagues with soft caps or no cap.

Too much tax law, accounting, and math for me to get into the rest of that.
    nah doesnt have to be that hard ... add up all the nfl teams tax rate in the state divide by 32 and call it a day if its 2% then teams in zero state tax states get 2% less cap $$s to spend
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Orion has a reputation beyond repute"> Orion's Avatar

you forgot Tennessee.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Those blue states (and maybe others) have special taxes even on the visiting team players. If you're on the Cowboys and you play the 49ers in San Francisco, the state of California will be coming to you with its hand out because it considers you to have earned 1/17 of your income within the state, and it will want its 15% off the top.

If I played for one of those teams, I'd demand my contract be structured to pay me $1 per home game and double the rate for away games. I'm sure those money-grubbers would let it slide.
    See you Space Cowboy ...