Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Baker Mayfield Kicked Out Of Home??

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Re: Baker Mayfield Kicked Out Of Home??

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    He's already been on a good team. Great line, great RBs, great WRs, great defense. We know what he is on a good team. Average. I'd like to see him without those weapons and protection. Is he a difference maker, someone that you win because of, not just win with? If he was thought of as a QB that a team won because of, he'd already be traded for.
    An $18.86M guarantee isn’t easing the ability to trade him either…

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    An $18.86M guarantee isn’t easing the ability to trade him either…
    That's actually cheap for a real quarterback that would make a 7-10 team go 10-7 instead.

Ravens Fan Extraordinaire Array title="Crow-Magnon has a reputation beyond repute"> Crow-Magnon's Avatar

He's already been on a good team. Great line, great RBs, great WRs, great defense. We know what he is on a good team. Average. I'd like to see him without those weapons and protection. Is he a difference maker, someone that you win because of, not just win with? If he was thought of as a QB that a team won because of, he'd already be traded for.
    My error in language. I meant “good” as in a well-run franchise.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

That's actually cheap for a real quarterback that would make a 7-10 team go 10-7 instead.
    Not for a guy that you may want to throw in there for a season and aren't really sure about.

Senior Member Array title="Orion has a reputation beyond repute"> Orion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by silver & black View Post
    Everyone can say what they will about Baker. Baker is THE reason Cleveland started winning football games. He's an ass. He's full of himslef. He's egotistical. He's brash. He's confident. he's......??? So what? Isn't that what you want in a leader?

He played hurt the entire season. That isn't his fault, that's Stefanski's fault. No balls. He should have told Baker... "I'm the boss... you are sitting".

I'm not saying Baker is the be all. end all QB. I'm saying he's being given a raw deal by everyone that is nay saying against him. I'd take him in a heart beat.
    i would love to see Baker in the black and silver ...
    would you rather have Baker than Carr ?

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Baker is not the reason Cleveland started wining games. Their running game was the primary weapon on offense.

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    i would love to see Baker in the black and silver ...
    would you rather have Baker than Carr ?
    I would take Carr over Baker any day, but Carr with some of Baker's moxy would be okay...lol.

Baker is not the reason Cleveland started wining games. Their running game was the primary weapon on offense.
    Same thing could’ve been said about Ben at that stage in his career as well.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Baker is part of the reason the Browns started winning games. Chubb has been a ProBowl RB but Hunt can't stay healthy and on the field. You can't just give Baker zero credit.

Same thing could’ve been said about Ben at that stage in his career as well.
    Ok… now we’re comparing Baker to Ben? Lol.

Ok… now we’re comparing Baker to Ben? Lol.
    Lol.

You might be. I’m just comparing the comments? Lol. The same thing not said about Ben early in his career. Did we not continuously hear how it was so good for Ben to have that running game early in his career? How he had such a good “supporting” cast?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Baker helped a franchise without recent success and lacking stability find both. He helped the franchise get its talented roster pointed in the right direction and established a new baseline of actually winning football games. That was due to his leadership, grit, and the talent that helped him have tremendous success in college. Then, the NFL crashed his ceiling down on him.

It became apparent that even with a roster that oozing talent at almost every position, Baker was still struggling at times. Those struggles got worse as NFL teams adjusted to his tendencies and traits over time. Baker particularly struggles against "good" teams. All of those teams have either high end defenses, high end QBs, or both.

Baker, unfortunately, is firmly entrenched in the minds of the NFL as a QB who is good enough to win regular season games but not good enough to cause a team to win playoff games. Maybe he can not screw up a playoff run and have the rest of the roster drag him through (ala Jimmy G) but the NFL does not view him as a guy who elevates his team to another level.

So....how are you going to go to ownership and ask them to take on the guaranteed money, spend the draft capital, and embrace the circus for a guy who gets you to the Wildcard round if everything breaks right? Plus, his current team has to cut him before the season or it will go from toxic to to team wrecking.

Baker is on that tier with Goff, Garoppolo, Hurts, Cousins, Wentz, and Winston. There are not many teams that are looking to trade into that tier of "mediocre". Several of the teams in that tier have indicated that they are trying to move up in the QB world by their late or UDFA moves in the recent draft.

Bottom line, it seems the NFL perceives Baker to have a low ceiling on what he can produce as a season outcome. And there isn't a great deal of demand for that right now. Honestly, he can play another 10 years in the league as a back-up/maybe starter...

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Baker helped a franchise without recent success and lacking stability find both. He helped the franchise get its talented roster pointed in the right direction and established a new baseline of actually winning football games. That was due to his leadership, grit, and the talent that helped him have tremendous success in college. Then, the NFL crashed his ceiling down on him.

It became apparent that even with a roster that oozing talent at almost every position, Baker was still struggling at times. Those struggles got worse as NFL teams adjusted to his tendencies and traits over time. Baker particularly struggles against "good" teams. All of those teams have either high end defenses, high end QBs, or both.

Baker, unfortunately, is firmly entrenched in the minds of the NFL as a QB who is good enough to win regular season games but not good enough to cause a team to win playoff games. Maybe he can not screw up a playoff run and have the rest of the roster drag him through (ala Jimmy G) but the NFL does not view him as a guy who elevates his team to another level.

So....how are you going to go to ownership and ask them to take on the guaranteed money, spend the draft capital, and embrace the circus for a guy who gets you to the Wildcard round if everything breaks right? Plus, his current team has to cut him before the season or it will go from toxic to to team wrecking.

Baker is on that tier with Goff, Garoppolo, Hurts, Cousins, Wentz, and Winston. There are not many teams that are looking to trade into that tier of "mediocre". Several of the teams in that tier have indicated that they are trying to move up in the QB world by their late or UDFA moves in the recent draft.

Bottom line, it seems the NFL perceives Baker to have a low ceiling on what he can produce as a season outcome. And there isn't a great deal of demand for that right now. Honestly, he can play another 10 years in the league as a back-up/maybe starter...
    I think the Baker and Jimmy G comp is pretty accurate. Both can win games, but it will be their mistakes that lose games as well.

Lol.

You might be. I’m just comparing the comments? Lol. The same thing not said about Ben early in his career. Did we not continuously hear how it was so good for Ben to have that running game early in his career? How he had such a good “supporting” cast?
    OK... let's qualify "winning." Baker went 29-30 with 1 playoff win in his first 4 years. Ben went 39-16 and 5-2 in the playoffs with a Super Bowl title. They're not remotely similar no matter what you want to fill the blank with: Won because of ______________.

Senior Member Array title="Orion has a reputation beyond repute"> Orion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by silver & black View Post
    I would take Carr over Baker any day, but Carr with some of Baker's moxy would be okay...lol.
    I'd take him in a heart beat.
    is it safe to say you exaggerated your confidence in Baker ? did you mean you would take Baker if you were desperate ? personally i like Carr and think he is a higher end "serviceable" QB , but he isnt held in very high regard by others. Would you agree with that ?

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    is it safe to say you exaggerated your confidence in Baker ? did you mean you would take Baker if you were desperate ? personally i like Carr and think he is a higher end "serviceable" QB , but he isnt held in very high regard by others. Would you agree with that ?
    Yes. If the Raiders were in serious need of a QB, I would take Baker.

As far as Carr.... I would agree with your assesment. I have called him out numerous times over the years. He's that guy that has all the tools but seems to lack the grit to get it done. We'll see how it goes this year. There are no excuses for Carr not to produce... at all.

OK... let's qualify "winning." Baker went 29-30 with 1 playoff win in his first 4 years. Ben went 39-16 and 5-2 in the playoffs with a Super Bowl title. They're not remotely similar no matter what you want to fill the blank with: Won because of ______________.
    Lol. What are you talking about?

You said Baker benefited from a good run game.

The media pundits (to this date, say) said when Ben started his career he benefited from a good run game.

Your words and the general media consensus. Are they not similar statements?

No where did anyone compare Ben’s career/stats/winning percentage to Baker’s. Lol. Literally…no where…

Lol. What are you talking about?

You said Baker benefited from a good run game.

The media pundits (to this date, say) said when Ben started his career he benefited from a good run game.

Your words and the general media consensus. Are they not similar statements?

No where did anyone compare Ben’s career/stats/winning percentage to Baker’s. Lol. Literally…no where…
    What do I care what the media said about Ben? Ben was the leader of that team from year one. You’re the one comparing Baker and Ben, not me.

I’m aware that I’m the one inserting Ben’s record into the conversation.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Ben and Baker had some early career similarities. Both had early success and generated excitement while playing with training wheels and bumpers. Difference came when they took those away. Ben thrived and excelled. Baker plateaued.

What do I care what the media said about Ben? Ben was the leader of that team from year one. You’re the one comparing Baker and Ben, not me.

I’m aware that I’m the one inserting Ben’s record into the conversation.
    Not once did I compare Ben and Baker. All I did was point out that your comment about Baker is very similar to what the media said about Ben. Lol. Went no further than that.

Not once did I compare Ben and Baker. All I did was point out that your comment about Baker is very similar to what the media said about Ben. Lol. Went no further than that.
    I understand that you only compared their perceptions. But even their perceptions are wildly different in the actual results. If 25 year-old Ben had been QB of that 2020 Browns team, they likely win the Super Bowl.