Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Steelers To Sign QB Mitch Trubisky To 2-Year Deal

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Re: Steelers To Sign QB Mitch Trubisky To 2-Year Deal

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Here are some highlights from Trubisky's 2018 season when he was allowed to play to his strengths, before Nagy screwed him up.

You have to click on it to watch from youtube.

They all looked great, but how often do you see a YouTube video full of interceptions.

Hopefully with some better coaching, the right system, he can correct some errors. You can tell he never sets his feet even when in a stable pocket. I'm not a coach so I have no clue how hard that is to fix.

My biggest fear is Tomlin and the defense will keep delivering 9-8 teams that flirt with the playoffs but never get past round #1 keeping us drafting at number 20-25 forever.

Senior Member Array title="Steelerette has much to be proud of"> Steelerette's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    It’s not hard to see a scenario where all three of those guys are off the board by 20. So Trubisky let’s you “install your offense style” while you wait for a shot at a guy in 2023.

I guess I can see the chain of logic. I still think it’s a waste of time but the “reasoning” is kinda sorta coming into focus.
    In my opinion none of this year's QBs are going to be great pros and getting Trubisky on a 2-year deal was one of the best case scenarios. I don't completely love getting Chuks back (that would leave them with only one real starting tackle though), but I've been loving everything else about this offseason so far. Colbert really broke out the energon cubes for his last hurrah.

This time next year the team will be in much better condition and we'll know very clearly whether Mitchell is worth sticking with (but at least we'll have installed the kind of offense we want), and the QB class will be much better.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Well, now that that is done, we can focus on the OL in the draft. The only remaining glaring holes they have yet to fill is resigning Spoon and finding an ILB.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    They all looked great, but how often do you see a YouTube video full of interceptions.

Hopefully with some better coaching, the right system, he can correct some errors. You can tell he never sets his feet even when in a stable pocket. I'm not a coach so I have no clue how hard that is to fix.

My biggest fear is Tomlin and the defense will keep delivering 9-8 teams that flirt with the playoffs but never get past round #1 keeping us drafting at number 20-25 forever.
    I’m actually going to use my Gamepass subscription to go back and watch all 14 of his starts from 2018. I don’t like relying on other people’s evaluations.

I'll use the condensed version with just the plays and watch only the offense, which will take about 20 minutes per game.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    Well, now that that is done, we can focus on the OL in the draft. The only remaining glaring holes they have yet to fill is resigning Spoon and finding an ILB.
    I'd add another CB to that, I still don't think Sutton is a good outside CB, perfect for the slot but not the outside. Losing Haden (when he played) is big. If they sign Witherspoon maybe that problem goes away, hopefully they know before the draft.

I will say this, as much as I loved Ben, Trubisky is going to be an upgrade over the 2020/21 Ben.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

And stupid shit like this is why I do not let my 15 year old son have any social media accounts. I work in IT and have explained to my children the shit you put on the internet will follow you to the grave. Perfect example I'm willing to bet Teegre's tombstone will say 20-0 on it!

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    And stupid shit like this is why I do not let my 15 year old son have any social media accounts. I work in IT and have explained to my children the shit you put on the internet will follow you to the grave. Perfect example I'm willing to bet Teegre's tombstone will say 20-0 on it!
    I’ll take it… because, there’s a whole lot worse that could be put on my tombstone.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

What else should a 16-year-old boy be thinking about?!?

Nothing really, but in today's moronic world if a "social media influencer" sees it ten years later it could ruin their lives because it upset 10 people on the internet.

Seriously when I hear people introduced as a "social media influencer" as their job I throw up a little in my mouth every time.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

at 16 my only motivation for most things i did was to get some. working out, sports, getting grades in school to make that money in the future. not gonna lie lol.

also was my motivation in my 20's too, and my 30's. some things never change, just when you get older you get better about bullshitting about your real intentions

Junior Member Array title="Reylo1 Steel will become famous soon enough"> Reylo1 Steel's Avatar

He was overdrafted and underdeveloped yet still went 29-21 and to a Pro Bowl in his second year. The Bears never utilized his strengths because Nage was in way over his head as a head coach. Steelers are a 10-11 win team next year. If they spend and draft exceptionally, they win 12 games.
    Bears fan here, saying Nagy was "in over his head" is an understatement. Him and Mitch never gelled and Nagy never wanted him as his QB. Trubisky tried to bridge the gap by requesting a meeting with his coach to go over issues with the offense and how he could improve in it and Matt wouldn't even bother to talk with him.

Nagy offense was abysmal and every single signal caller who played in it struggled, not just # 10; Nick Foles (who played in it before), Andy Dalton, and Justin Fields were all picked by Chicago's former coach and none of them could make the O look good. Most telling of all Foles said, during a game, "this offense doesn't work."

Ironically Mitch, the player Nagy didn't want, was the only field general who could win under Nagy and his amateurish play calling. And doing so while being played against his strengths which were i.e. being forced to be a pure pocket passer instead of using RPOs and scrambling.

Four differnet QBs failing in a system means the schemes and coach are not up to par. Now we'll find out if Mitch was a good QB used improperly, in a bad offense or a bad QB in a bad offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Reylo1 Steel View Post
    Bears fan here, saying Nagy was "in over his head" is an understatement. Him and Mitch never gelled and Nagy never wanted him as his QB. Trubisky tried to bridge the gap by requesting a meeting with his coach to go over issues with the offense and how he could improve in it and Matt wouldn't even bother to talk with him.

Nagy offense was abysmal and every single signal caller who played in it struggled, not just # 10; Nick Foles (who played in it before), Andy Dalton, and Justin Fields were all picked by Chicago's former coach and none of them could make the O look good. Most telling of all Foles said, during a game, "this offense doesn't work."

Ironically Mitch, the player Nagy didn't want, was the only field general who could win under Nagy and his amateurish play calling. And doing so while being played against his strengths which were i.e. being forced to be a pure pocket passer instead of using RPOs and scrambling.

Four differnet QBs failing in a system means the schemes and coach are not up to par. Now we'll find out if Mitch was a good QB used improperly, in a bad offense or a bad QB in a bad offense.
    Good insight Reylo. Thanks for posting.

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Reylo1 Steel View Post

Weird. The Steelers have been dealing with the similar thing since 2018. Running an offense that had tons of holes that were eventually exposed due to multiple factors. The Offense has been dreadful since.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Can Mitch Trubisky Improve Steelers’ Deep Passing Game In 2022?

https://steelersdepot.com/2022/07/st...-game-in-2022/

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Can Mitch Trubisky Improve Steelers’ Deep Passing Game In 2022?

https://steelersdepot.com/2022/07/st...-game-in-2022/
    I don't expect Trubisky to all of a sudden get it, that's why I hope Kenny wins the job out the gate. Outliers like Tannehill having a career resurrection aren't the rule.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    I don't expect Trubisky to all of a sudden get it, that's why I hope Kenny wins the job out the gate. Outliers like Tannehill having a career resurrection aren't the rule.
    I'll take Jim Plunkett type of resurrection!

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Is it really a "resurrection" for Trubisky though? Or would it just be development?

Trubisky only started 13 games in College. He started 12 games as a rookie in the NFL and if it maybe came too fast for him and he wasnt getting the coaching and development that were afforded to some QB's in better situations, then if he has a good season with the Steelers and in a new system, then maybe its just a guy that is in better situation to grow and develop than in Chicago.

I'm hopeful that he can have a good season and be a guy that can be a part of winning games. But lets face the fact that the Steelers are very hopeful of Pickett developing as the longer term answer at QB and maybe him taking a season before he gets more meaningful reps isnt a bad thing. Either way, I'm just happy to have a QB(s) that is hopefully still on the upside of their career, rather than one that is diminishing in skill and ability...as much as I believe that Ben is the best QB to ever play for the Steelers.