Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: If the Steelers go QB at 20…

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

If the Steelers go QB at 20…

What’s your strategy?

A. Start from game 1
    B. Play Rudolph until the wheels come off and then start (e.g., after the bye)
    C. Sit for a year and let him learn

If you say it depends on which QB is drafted, just assume it’s Howell or Pickett, likely the most ready of the bunch.

Me? I’m starting my guy week one.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: If the Steelers go QB at 20…

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    What’s your strategy?

A. Start from game 1

If you say it depends on which QB is drafted, just assume it’s Howell or Pickett, likely the most ready of the bunch.

FWIW, that would be my play as well.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Start week 1, we already know what we have with Rudolph and he's ok as the #2, nothing else.

My personal opinion, any player drafted in rd 1 should be an expected starter in week 1

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

my plan would be to start my guy week 1 , that said how well they engulf the playbook and show the ability to run the offense at the end of training camp / preseason would be the determining factor but I would make sure every resource was afforded to developing him to be the starter in quick order if I had to hire Josh Dobbs as a tutor and make him his room mate in Latrobe where there is nothing to do but study the playbook after practice ...
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="steelcityboyz has a brilliant future"> steelcityboyz's Avatar

I'm starting him day one.. you're drafting him to play football not sit on the bench and watch, what kind of in game experience can he get watching someone else play. Heck he can youtube all kind of QBs playing if he want's to watch.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I think the Steelers have to be thinking QB at 20.

My strategy will be to pay as much attention as possible to the news coming out of training camp. I will be hoping we draft a guy ready to take over day1. He will probably become my new avatar.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I think the Steelers have to be thinking QB at 20.

My strategy will be to pay as much attention as possible to the news coming out of training camp. I will be hoping we draft a guy ready to take over day1. He will probably become my new avatar.

ill be making a couple trips myself to get first hand eyes on him , 75 miles one way is a nice bike ride

Senior Member Array title="bendsteel is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    ill be making a couple trips myself to get first hand eyes on him , 75 miles one way is a nice bike ride
    I imagine a Harley. I ride a Street glide now, but I used to do 75 miles one way on a road bike...pedal kind about once or twice a month.

Senior Member Array title="ThorndikeFFA has much to be proud of">

The fan in me says you start your #1 draft choice from day one.

The players want to win, now. Their window to win a championship isn't open for the rest of their lives like ours is.

Out of respect to my veteran players I would have to start the guy who gave the team the best opportunity to win from week one.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ThorndikeFFA View Post
    The fan in me says you start your #1 draft choice from day one.

The players want to win, now. Their window to win a championship isn't open for the rest of their lives like ours is.

Out of respect to my veteran players I would have to start the guy who gave the team the best opportunity to win from week one.
    That ain’t Rudolph.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Ben didn’t start and that still worked out pretty well. I think there’s a benefit for the rookie to be on the sidelines and absorb what’s going on. Could keep him from getting overwhelmed at week 1.

Quote Originally Posted by bendsteel View Post
    I imagine a Harley. I ride a Street glide now, but I used to do 75 miles one way on a road bike...pedal kind about once or twice a month.
    [IMG][/IMG]

its not a Harley tho ... its a Honda VTX 1800 ...

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

If the options are Rudolph, Haskins or new kid…I’m starting the new kid.

If the options are some FA QB, Rudolph and new kid, I’m starting the FA. Rudolph is my back up and the new kid is the long term injury replacement.

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

This is what scary looks like:

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post

some of those are hard to believe yet here we are ........

Senior Member Array title="bendsteel is a splendid one to behold">

[IMG][/IMG]

its not a Harley tho ... its a Honda VTX 1800 ...
    Damn sweet ride! 75 miles is a jaunt!

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Steelers will need to trade up to top-10 for a better option.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

2022 NFL combine: Ole Miss QB Matt Corral will not throw this week due to ankle injury, per report

Corral plans to throw at his Pro Day in late March

By Jordan Dajani

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2...ry-per-report/

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    2022 NFL combine: Ole Miss QB Matt Corral will not throw this week due to ankle injury, per report

Corral plans to throw at his Pro Day in late March

By Jordan Dajani

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2...ry-per-report/
    Any updates on who is throwing at the combine?

Senior Member Array title="ThorndikeFFA has much to be proud of">

This draft will be a key test. You all know that I think that Tomlin is as dumb as a box of door knobs. You all say I'm wrong. We'll see how all of this plays out this off season then.

Because only someone as dumb as a box of knobs would pick a project QB in the first round when your team needs a #1CB, an ILB, a starter quality C and OT, a QB, and quality depth at nearly every position.

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    Steelers will need to trade up to top-10 for a better option.
    I'd prefer they trade out of the first round for a pick next year, and then find a journeyman QB for this year. Take the year to assess the development of the O line before getting a young QB killed or destroying his game like what happened to Rick Mirer (don't forget he was co-rookie of the year with Jerome Bettis). He got killed behind a horrible line and it destroyed his mechanics.

So, fix the line this year. Then next year, take both 1st round picks and trade up to get whoever we want. Or, use them to trade for a QB we want. I don't care. But if we get a QB this year, we're going to be sorely disappointed unless the O line really steps up and learns how to protect.

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    I'd prefer they trade out of the first round for a pick next year, and then find a journeyman QB for this year. Take the year to assess the development of the O line before getting a young QB killed or destroying his game like what happened to Rick Mirer (don't forget he was co-rookie of the year with Jerome Bettis). He got killed behind a horrible line and it destroyed his mechanics.

So, fix the line this year. Then next year, take both 1st round picks and trade up to get whoever we want. Or, use them to trade for a QB we want. I don't care. But if we get a QB this year, we're going to be sorely disappointed unless the O line really steps up and learns how to protect.
    I’m in.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by ThorndikeFFA View Post
    This draft will be a key test. You all know that I think that Tomlin is as dumb as a box of door knobs. You all say I'm wrong. We'll see how all of this plays out this off season then.

Because only someone as dumb as a box of knobs would pick a project QB in the first round when your team needs a #1CB, an ILB, a starter quality C and OT, a QB, and quality depth at nearly every position.
    There is a thing called FA and another thing called Cap room, draft 3 of your list and pick up quality FA’s for the rest and problem solved.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post

You know that draft class sucks when Glennon was the most productive, and Landry Jones actually made the list lol

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    What’s your strategy?

A. Start from game 1

My guess is if they get the guy they want in the draft (Willis) then they will sign a bottom feeder free agent like Mitch Trubisky to a 1-2 year deal and play him with Willis eventually taking his place like Ben did to Maddox.

But looking at a lot of mock drafts Willis has overtaken Pickett who some have falling very close to us with Willis going in the top 10 now where Pickett was a few weeks ago. I know the combine will probably change that again but the more I watch Willis highlights the more I want him.
    Last edited by EzraTank; 03-01-2022 at 09:11 AM.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

all this rumoring of Willis makes me throw up in my mouth a little

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Or...just hear me out....it says that Free Agency starts in two weeks and the draft is not for eight weeks....let me get out my abacus and check my star charts....yuppers. Two weeks is still before eight weeks. Freaking odd.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Or...just hear me out....it says that Free Agency starts in two weeks and the draft is not for eight weeks....let me get out my abacus and check my star charts....yuppers. Two weeks is still before eight weeks. Freaking odd.
    I like her abacus.

Also....if an NFL team is asking Twitter draft "scouts" about prospects and free agents...I mean what does that say about that team?

Here is what I could find out about Matt Miller - https://www.linkedin.com/in/nfldraftscout and https://www.sbnation.com/2008/8/27/6...ut-matt-miller

And New Era scouting: http://newerascouting.com/about-us/ -- seriously his "main" company appears to not have a website. That is what comes up on Google.

His other site "Mocking the Draft" seems to be totally defunct right now. Apparently this is his primary outlet now: https://www.thedraftscout.com/about

I can not read any of these industry leading reports from a self-made success story (the website's selling points) but for the low price of $50/year, you can get nuggets of wisdom from a self-taught scout.

I have a hard time NFL team's are asking these trumped up twit-wits anything.