Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: If the Steelers go QB at 20…

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Re: If the Steelers go QB at 20…

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I have a hard time NFL team's are asking these trumped up twit-wits anything.
    I can think of 2-3 franchises that couldn't do any worse by using them.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Mel Kiper Mock Draft 2.0: Steelers stay put, pull the trigger on a QB at 20

The Pittsburgh Steelers take a quarterback in Round 1 of the 2022 Draft, but they don’t have to sell the farm to do so.

By Jeff.Hartman@BnGBlitz Mar 1, 2022

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...s-liberty-news

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Mel Kiper Mock Draft 2.0: Steelers stay put, pull the trigger on a QB at 20

The Pittsburgh Steelers take a quarterback in Round 1 of the 2022 Draft, but they don’t have to sell the farm to do so.

By Jeff.Hartman@BnGBlitz Mar 1, 2022

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...s-liberty-news

take it to the bank no way in hell the steelers draft Willis .....

kiper is always wrong
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I can think of 2-3 franchises that couldn't do any worse by using them.
    Sure, there are two or three franchises that could do better by simply not making draft picks or signing free agents and spinning a random wheel to make roster decisions.

I still strongly suspect that few GM's are reaching out to the NFL internet pundit class to make decisions on their starting QBs...

....MAYBE to gauge league-wide interest in a guy...MAYBE. But almost certainly not for an evaluation.

Senior Member Array title="Orion has a reputation beyond repute"> Orion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post

kiper is always wrong
    one thing i do agree with Kipers mock is only 1 qb going before 20. i see other mocks with 3 and even 4 going before 20 and i dont see it happening.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

kiper is always wrong
    What kind of odds are you giving me, lol. I think Tomlin sees a Lamar type with possibility of being better passer and he’s salivating. I’m not sold on any of the QBs in draft, so every one of them is a roll of dice IMO. He’s a long shot with the highest payout, question is will he place.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

kiper is always wrong
    If he's there, they're gonna take him. Take it to the bank.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Sure, there are two or three franchises that could do better by simply not making draft picks or signing free agents and spinning a random wheel to make roster decisions.

I still strongly suspect that few GM's are reaching out to the NFL internet pundit class to make decisions on their starting QBs...

....MAYBE to gauge league-wide interest in a guy...MAYBE. But almost certainly not for an evaluation.
    2 or 3 franchises should just hand their picks over to the Steelers as goodwill.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

kiper is always wrong
    Todd, Todd, Todd, Todd…

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

all this rumoring of Willis makes me throw up in my mouth a little
    Makes me do it a lot…

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
    What kind of odds are you giving me, lol. I think Tomlin sees a Lamar type with possibility of being better passer and he’s salivating. I’m not sold on any of the QBs in draft, so every one of them is a roll of dice IMO. He’s a long shot with the highest payout, question is will he place.
    Well said. From the limited stuff I've seen of him on YouTube (and let's face it the stuff on YT is all his BEST plays, not his worse) he reminds me a lot of a hybrid version of Lamar Jackson. Not as good at running but a better passer. Like Kiper's article said, the kid has a lot of potential but needs a lot of coaching to reach it. Haskins had a lot of talent as well and he was a #3 QB last year.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

The problem with naming a QB right now is partly we don't even know what a Matt Canada NFL offense will look like. How can we possibly know which QB would be the best choice to run it?

Another problem is the OL needs upgrading badly, we all agree on that. Just because you draft a guy high or bring in a FA that has had a good career doesn't necessarily mean he's going to be good for the offensive scheme.(again we don't know it) So it needs to be the 'right' guys but we can't know who those guys are yet.

Are we going to a more run oriented offense? The Ravens and Browns have. And they have a multi-RB offensive scheme. More RBs of the Najee caliber would need to join the team if this offense wants to do that. Plus the QB would need to be a threat to run on any play as well.

The QBs that we can cross off the list most likely are any that are just pure pocket passers with limited mobility. QBs with major or extensive injury history. But even that doesn't narrow down the field all that much.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    Well said. From the limited stuff I've seen of him on YouTube (and let's face it the stuff on YT is all his BEST plays, not his worse) he reminds me a lot of a hybrid version of Lamar Jackson. Not as good at running but a better passer. Like Kiper's article said, the kid has a lot of potential but needs a lot of coaching to reach it. Haskins had a lot of talent as well and he was a #3 QB last year.
    I personally think that Lamar Jackson was a better passer than Willis was in their respective final years of college. Willis is more erratic and always throws the ball hard, not putting much touch at all on any intermediate passes.

I agree that as a runner, Jackson was better. He was quicker and more elusive, but thats likely due to the fact that Willis is a 220Lb player and Jackson didnt have as stock of a build. I will be interested to see if Willis runs at the combine, because I think he looks more like a 4.45-4.50 guy in the 40, while there are reports that he ran a 4.37 in high school.

I have to say, as a longtime Steeler fan, this is entertaining to see what they do going forward at QB. Been a long time since I went thru the Cliff Stoudt years, so hoping this time around isnt as bad.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

No on a liberty QB, go for Pickett or Howell if you have to draft a QB

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Dak was rated a backup/ST player after the combine. System fit has a lot to do with it. Btw- 6'2" 223lbs and ran 4.79/40. Straight line speed actually does matter for QBs.

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Todd, Todd, Todd, Todd…
    Fun fact...Todd likes Malik to the Steelers. Funner fact...I've liked Willis to the Steelers for months now.

https://youtu.be/jgETkquzZ90

McShay and Kiper discussing what QB fits the Steelers^^
    They're saying a lot of what I've said or thought about Willis in previous posts, only difference is they're getting paid to look stupid and I have to argue with Dwins and Gonzo about who the better armchair GM is.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RunNGun View Post
    Fun fact...Todd likes Malik to the Steelers. Funner fact...I've liked Willis to the Steelers for months now.

They're saying a lot of what I've said or thought about Willis in previous posts, only difference is they're getting paid to look stupid and I have to argue with Dwins and Gonzo about who the better armchair GM is.
    fun fact ... its not you
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

- - - Updated - - -

I'm gonna go watch some Artie Burns highlights and remember how great he was coming out of college.

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

fun fact ... its not you
    I'll let you have the title buddy.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I really want Linderbaum or Penning. Based on their game play and the interviews I’ve been listening to, these two guys have stuck out like an NFL player to me. Both will probably be gone at 20 though…

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I really want Linderbaum or Penning. Based on their game play and the interviews I’ve been listening to, these two guys have stuck out like an NFL player to me. Both will probably be gone at 20 though…
    Thats what a lot said of DeCastro, remember?

I think Linderbaum will be gone. Penning could easlily still be on the board. He is still not a finished product and while a nasty mauler that makes Jon Runyan look like a nice guy, he still tends to get high in his pass sets and players get under him in the rush. He still should be a 1st.

Depending on what the Steelers are thinking with regard to interior linemen, some guys on day 2 like Zion Johnson from Boston College or Luke Fortner from Kentucky could be options. Fortner looked good at the Senior Bowl and IMO is better than Drake Jackson from Kentucky the previous year. While Johnson is kind of a big mauler with long arms that is kind of in that Trai Turner mold. If they feel good about Kendrick Green and Dotson returning healthy, adding one of those guys on day 2 makes the interior better.

Kenny Pickett looks like a country music singer. He even has the name.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Kenny Pickett looks like a country music singer. He even has the name.
    But...has a girl ever left him and took his dog?

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    But...has a girl ever left him and took his dog?
    I'm pretty sure that's a yes.

If the Steelers go QB at 20…

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Thats what a lot said of DeCastro, remember?

I think Linderbaum will be gone. Penning could easlily still be on the board. He is still not a finished product and while a nasty mauler that makes Jon Runyan look like a nice guy, he still tends to get high in his pass sets and players get under him in the rush. He still should be a 1st.

Depending on what the Steelers are thinking with regard to interior linemen, some guys on day 2 like Zion Johnson from Boston College or Luke Fortner from Kentucky could be options. Fortner looked good at the Senior Bowl and IMO is better than Drake Jackson from Kentucky the previous year. While Johnson is kind of a big mauler with long arms that is kind of in that Trai Turner mold. If they feel good about Kendrick Green and Dotson returning healthy, adding one of those guys on day 2 makes the interior better.
    I was one who said that and when I watched him drop to us, I think that’s the most excited I ever was over a draft pick…lol

I would love to see Penning on Day One and then one of the BC guys in the second round.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Kenny Pickett's hands are smaller than a church bingo ladies hands!

Malik Willis was caught on camera in the streets near the combine opening up his suitcase and giving clothes to a homeless guy. That’s a good dude. Got that Najee vibe to him?

Exactly my point lol, but in his defense, I think we all loved the Limas Sweed pick when it happened.

- - - Updated - - -

Interesting take from some talking heads on Malik Willis.

https://youtu.be/3KoX-4UrCBo

- - - Updated - - -

Malik Willis was caught on camera in the streets near the combine opening up his suitcase and giving clothes to a homeless guy. That’s a good dude. Got that Najee vibe to him?
    He's a great kid with a great attitude. I think his hype will continue to grow though, unfortunately. If he's available at 20 I'll be very surprised.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Here is how much I liked the Sweed pick… if I had a time machine, I’d go back and make that pick 100 times out of 100.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Here is how much I liked the Sweed pick… if I had a time machine, I’d go back and make that pick 100 times out of 100.
    I’ve also said the same a million times. Even knowing the outcome, I’d still make that pick and I still think given the situation the team was in, the potential of Sweed, it was a great pick at that time.