Thread: Closer Dive Into QB Prospect Malik Willis

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Closer Dive Into QB Prospect Malik Willis

This thread is not for comparing Malik Willis to other QB prospects in this draft.

I have read articles, scout analysis, fan opinions, and listened to podcasts and watched video breakdowns for QB Malik Willis. What all of this has told me is there is no one true read on this guy. My goal with this thread is for this site's braintrust and talent scout gurus to give evaluating this player a shot.

This is what ProFootballNetwork says.....https://www.profootballnetwork.com/m...g-report-2022/

Here is TheDrafNetwork.....https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/malik-willis

Bleacherreport......https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...for-liberty-qb

NFLMocks.....https://nflmocks.com/2022/01/11/2022...is-qb-liberty/

ninetynineyards...this one has some video.....https://ninetynineyards.com/2022/01/...-need-to-know/

Bluechipscouting....https://www.bluechipscouting.com/col...lis-qb-liberty

There are more. These are just from page1.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: Closer Dive Into QB Prospect Malik Willis

These guys break down draft prospects for the Eagles fans. I don't know their qualifications or how accurate they are over time. But they give a 20-30min breakdown on Malik Willis.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCKePefBDUE

NFLSapient is a site I like. They give a written scouting report as well as videos of the games they watched to develop their opinions....https://nflsapient.com/2021/12/22/qb...ofile-liberty/

How much does drafting a Malik Willis arm and a Calvin Austin speed upgrade this offense? Race you to the end zone.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

From ESPN Jordan Reid after day 3 practices at the Senior Bowl.

Malik Willis, Liberty (American)

Scouts Inc. ranking: 21

After a strong Day 2 performance, Willis' third day of practices had some highs and lows. It's clear he possesses the best physical traits and upside of any of the quarterbacks in Mobile, but consistency with his accuracy and knowing which situations require putting touch on the ball are the areas in which he needs to improve.

Willis is even more raw than Josh Allen was as a prospect coming out of Wyoming in 2018, and he will need to go to a team that has an entrenched starter, which forces him to sit and learn as he continues to learn the nuances of the position. I've been impressed the most by Willis of any of the signal-callers, but it's clear he's a long-term project who will need patience and guidance.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2022/i...ets-know-day-3

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

personal opinion ...

1 read and go QB if his guy isnt open 80% of the time he pulls it down and runs

willing to throw off balance ,on one leg or with both feet off the ground etc those throws will all be picked off in the NFL ( maybe not ALL but most )

seems like most of the balls he throws across his body to the sideline take a long time to get there , not sure why he doesn't lack arm strength ...

lacks needed pocket awareness for the next level

has good speed running the ball but makes some really poor choices at times as if he doesn't see the field well and lacks ability to find the running lane and whats this turning your back as your going down thing he does a lot of ? ......

no I am not a fan , to me Willis is more RB that likes to throw than QB that likes to run
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    personal opinion ...

1 read and go QB if his guy isnt open 80% of the time he pulls it down and runs

willing to throw off balance ,on one leg or with both feet off the ground etc those throws will all be picked off in the NFL ( maybe not ALL but most )

seems like most of the balls he throws across his body to the sideline take a long time to get there , not sure why he doesn't lack arm strength ...

lacks needed pocket awareness for the next level

has good speed running the ball but makes some really poor choices at times as if he doesn't see the field well and lacks ability to find the running lane and whats this turning your back as your going down thing he does a lot of ? ......

no I am not a fan , to me Willis is more RB that likes to throw than QB that likes to run
    You’re write up makes me think Hurts is a current pro comp?

Fair or not what you’re saying ?

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post

Honestly , if he develops into Hurts he will have done well for himself ...

I do not have a lot of faith he will see a second contract in the NFL ...

while he is a boom or bust prospect there is a lot more to dislike than like and he is soooo raw I just dont know if he can make that leap from small program college ball to NFL with so much to learn and the giant leap in talent
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post

I think more Steve McNair, with poor accuracy, slower decision making, no touch on his passes, but better speed.

But he has a ton of "potential".

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I think more Steve McNair, with poor accuracy, slower decision making, no touch on his passes, but better speed.

But he has a ton of "potential".
    Roethlisberger had “potential” last season. Haskins has “potential”. Rudolph has “potential”. They need talent not “potential”. Good talent is greater than any sort of draft pick you can imagine...just ask the Rams.

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

I would happily take the next Steve McNair. Today!

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Roethlisberger had “potential” last season. Haskins has “potential”. Rudolph has “potential”. They need talent not “potential”. Good talent is greater than any sort of draft pick you can imagine...just ask the Rams.
    Parcells once said "Potential is some fancy French word that means you havent done anything yet". Agreed.

I would make a Vince Young comparison of athletic, strong arm, needs to improve reads and decision making to Vince Young, but that isnt fair to VY, since he won a Nat Championship and was the guy that drove it. Maybe more like Brett Hundley, but Willis is a better athlete and stronger arm, but Hundley was a better pocket passer at UCLA.

Basically Willis was a 3 start HS recruit, that went to Auburn and did nothing, but then transferred to Liberty and threw some TD passes, missed a lot of throws and is still "developmental". Somebody want to pick him in the first round, go for it, but I hope not the Steelers.

BTW, Talent is a lousy word to me. Its on the scale of fixed mindset that you are either born with talent or not. I know what you mean and that you are likely referring to the more polished skills and abilities that players have, but I am of the growth mindset that you acquire skills, abilities over time and effort of practicing them.

So the athletic running Q

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I would happily take the next Steve McNair. Today!
    OK, but the version that has a lot of inaccuracy, takes too much time to make decisions and just throws the football really hard all the time because he hasnt developed the idea of needing to take something off the ball at times to throw with something they call "touch"?

The version of Steve McNair that has those traits is called Akili Smith.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

If they pick Willis, I’ll be so disappointed…like beyond disappointed. Like I’d rather them just not have a first round pick if Willis is the pick…

Willis will most likely be a 1st round pick by somebody. Despite his flaws he is already more polished than LJ was when he was drafted. That guy won MVP. The ability to run like Willis has, and the 'elite' arm strength make him a 1st round prospect in 2022. Not sure why but I keep thinking he'll go to the Panthers or Commanders, possibly Lions. I think the Commanders are probably his best fit.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Willis will most likely be a 1st round pick by somebody. Despite his flaws he is already more polished than LJ was when he was drafted. That guy won MVP. The ability to run like Willis has, and the 'elite' arm strength make him a 1st round prospect in 2022. Not sure why but I keep thinking he'll go to the Panthers or Commanders, possibly Lions. I think the Commanders are probably his best fit.
    That makes a ton of sense. Willis seems like a more athletic version of the QB they have with Heineken or whatever is name is.

I disagree with the notion that Willis is more polished than Jackson was as a Senior. Lamar Jackson threw a good ball, set his feet well and his accuracy wasnt as erratic as Willis. Sure he was a much more dynamic athlete, but we are comparing a Heisman Trophy winner to a guy that could not succeed at Auburn and had to go to Liberty to be a guy with "potential".

I hope the Panthers take him and he can develop there for a few years to see if he can actually be an NFL QB.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

A lesser version of Kordell Stewart.
    Hater = Realist

An exact version of Kordell would be nice now…

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I'd take his 20/10 season.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I disagree with the notion that Willis is more polished than Jackson was as a Senior. Lamar Jackson threw a good ball, set his feet well and his accuracy wasnt as erratic as Willis. Sure he was a much more dynamic athlete, but we are comparing a Heisman Trophy winner to a guy that could not succeed at Auburn and had to go to Liberty to be a guy with "potential".

I hope the Panthers take him and he can develop there for a few years to see if he can actually be an NFL QB.
    Maybe, maybe not. Not really the point there.

My issue with a QB like Willis is his arm talent may be elite, but his accuracy issues are turnovers in the NFL. He's not going to be good at back-shoulder throws for example. In college QBs get to throw to an area and let receivers adjust to the ball. Coverages in the pros will eat that up. I do think Willis is an upgrade to where we are currently in the QB room though. Since I believe the Steelers are going to draft a QB, I would be 'ok' going with Willis. Might turn the tv off and go fishing instead of watching the rest, but 'ok'.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Please, no. Kordell was a horrible QB on his best day.
    Hater = Realist

Malik Willis just keeps climbing up the draft boards, pre-combine. Seems to me this QB will be long gone by the time the Steelers pick at 20. IF he did fall that far and the Steelers do draft him I would expect him to sit 2022 behind MR/Haskins. Maybe come in and be used in a wildcat type formation here and there(unless he wins TC outright). Willis' physical talent level day1 puts him in the same category as Murray and LJ. The more I read, the more I see him being a target for the Steelers. Today, I could even see a Devin Bush-like trade up to acquire him.(expect heads would explode)

I keep seeing/reading/hearing analysts with 2 early 1st round QB picks in Willis and Pickett. 3 early 2nd/late 1st round picks in Corral, Ridder, and Howell. Yet none of these prospects falling to pick 52. I have seen 1 draft scout site that lists Corral at QB1, only 1 and I don't know the last time it was updated.

All this to say, expect the Steelers to make a big attempt to draft Malik Willis. Let's assume for the sake of discussion that FA goes well, I would like this move today more than I did yesterday. Thoughts?

Less than a week before the 2022 draft opens and the landscape has changed dramatically, and tragically since the last post in here.

I am much more comfortable with the idea of the Steelers drafting Malik Willis today than I was back in February when I made my past post here. Drafting a QB with the upside and natural talents that Willis possesses and letting that QB sit behind a bridge QB that has 50 starts under his belt, is exactly what the QB plan should be with this draft class. I don't think any of these prospects are ready to come in day 1 and lead a team.

According to watching film breakdowns, reading analysis from many, many sources, and just simple ceiling vs floor of an unpolished prospect, Malik Willis may actually be the best fit for the Steelers moving forward. I can find no areas of his on the field play that cannot be helped with coaching, and there is no area of his off the field life that throws up a red flag. As much as I would rather the Steelers draft a blue chip defender in round 1, I would be completely behind them picking Willis at 20 as well.

For what that's worth.