Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: The Washington Football Team is now … the Washington Commanders

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Re: The Washington Football Team is now … the Washington Commanders

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I like that name. Not sure I have ever seen a red Wolf before, but they must exist.

Commanders, like anything will eventually become fairly normal and accepted. Just like other bad team names such as the Orlando Magic, Anaheim Mighty Ducks, Toronto Raptors etc. were when they were introduced.
    You forgot to mention Baltimore Ravens. I remember seeing it for first time and hated it, thought they belonged in the USFL. Although name seems normal now, I still hate em

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Orlando Magic are a tribute to Walt Disney. Baltimore Ravens are a tribute to Edgar Allen Poe. Anaheim Mighty Ducks however are a direct naming from a Disney movie and a cheesy one at that. I still dislike that name. I remember when the Oilers moved from Houston and Nashville wanted to rename the team because Tennessee isn't known for oil fields and such. So they changed it to the Titans? Because that is so Tennessee I guess? Not so much a problem with the name itself as much as the reasons and the process. The worst nickname in all of sports to me is the Gamecocks. I know what a gamecock is, I just think it's a terrible name for a team. One of the best and coolest nicknames is the Mean Green. N. Texas tribute to alum Mean Joe green.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I always liked that Stanford changed their name from the Indians to the Trees… but actually go by the color of thrir uniforms (Cardinal).

Junior Member Array title="Reylo1 Steel will become famous soon enough"> Reylo1 Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by silver & black View Post
    I was hoping for Washington War Hawks. Oh well. Not my team, so..................
    After they lost the name Redskins that's the same way a lot of fans felt. My two oldest brothers left; my best friend went full on Ravens and two other mates left. If Snyder hadn't turn the franchise into a dumpster fire for his 20 yr tenure the team would still have their name. Why their are some fans who defended him and say he's not a terrible owner is beyond me?

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Commanders is just a weak corporate sounding name, there's no deference to the history of the area. A name of a native tribe in the area or rebels (since that's what the colonists were to the British Empire) would've been better

Senior Member Array title="BnG_Hevn has much to be proud of"> BnG_Hevn's Avatar
    Battleball Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    All that time…..and that’s the best they could come up with??? Living in Richmond they are the closest that we have to a “home team “……Ever since Snyder took over…the football team that claims to be from Washington has been really sad. Sports radio stations around here we’re having “best naming” contests for the team. My favorite was The Washington “Warthogs”. Kinda catchy don’t you think?
    i was in my early 20s when that happened and remember the radio hosts of the time complaining on how Jack Kent Cooke totally screwed his son, of all things for tax purposes. How the HELL do you NOT Leave an NFL team to your kid(s)???

Snyder is a fan who should not be in charge of a team. His "buy a team" mentality has made Washington stagnate since his takeover.

As for the new name, I would have said screw the sponsors, gotten new sponsors who were ok with Redskins and kept it. I'd probably be belly up too though.
    “They say all marriages are made in heaven, but so are thunder and lightning.”
    ― Clint Eastwood

Senior Member Array title="willy has a reputation beyond repute"> willy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    Commanders is just a weak corporate sounding name, there's no deference to the history of the area. A name of a native tribe in the area or rebels (since that's what the colonists were to the British Empire) would've been better
    The Washington Mohawks. Not a local tribe, but sounds good.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by willy View Post
    The Washington Mohawks. Not a local tribe, but sounds good.

better than “Commanders” but likely offensive to some overly sensitive folks

Senior Member Array title="willy has a reputation beyond repute"> willy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    better than “Commanders” but likely offensive to some overly sensitive folks
    I know, never happen. Funny because here in Massachusetts for example there are so many things that are named using Indian names including, of course, Massachusetts itself. No one has ever complained about that.

From the Algonquin word "Massadchu-es-et," meaning "great-hill-small-place.”

Senior Member Array title="Steelerette has much to be proud of"> Steelerette's Avatar

They should have just kept the name and changed the logo to a potato.