Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Washington Football Team is now … the Washington Commanders

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Re: The Washington Football Team is now … the Washington Commanders

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    the braves , chiefs , they already scalped the Redskins and Indians ...

why the Indians tho even if you are hyper critical ... how is that derogatory against Indians .... is as much a celebration of them as anything else .... what do I know as a 1/8th Cherokee
    Agreed, that’s how I see it too. I’ve gone to school and worked with alot of people with Native American ancestry - those sports names, if anything, we’re a source of pride for them. Redskins was one of the better names and logo in the NFL. These decisions whoever is making them are idiotic

Senior Member Array title="Orion has a reputation beyond repute"> Orion's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

The Redwolves should have been the name. Redtails would've been even better but I understand why they didn't go that way.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Yes, A 'Redskin' Does, In Fact, Mean the Scalped Head of a Native American, Sold, Like a Pelt, for Cash

Above is an excerpt from The Daily Republican newspaper in Winona, Minnesota from Sept. 24, 1863.

https://www.esquire.com/news-politic...n-name-update/

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

All that time…..and that’s the best they could come up with??? Living in Richmond they are the closest that we have to a “home team “……Ever since Snyder took over…the football team that claims to be from Washington has been really sad. Sports radio stations around here we’re having “best naming” contests for the team. My favorite was The Washington “Warthogs”. Kinda catchy don’t you think?

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    All that time…..and that’s the best they could come up with??? Living in Richmond they are the closest that we have to a “home team “……Ever since Snyder took over…the football team that claims to be from Washington has been really sad. Sports radio stations around here we’re having “best naming” contests for the team. My favorite was The Washington “Warthogs”. Kinda catchy don’t you think?
    Or just the Hogs in tribute.

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Ok...in today's environment, I get changing the name, not that I agree with it. But Commanders just doesn't sound anything like a football team.

And why did The Cleveland Indians have to change their name, but the KC Chiefs didn't (yet)?

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    The Redwolves should have been the name. Redtails would've been even better but I understand why they didn't go that way.
    Agree 100%.

Redwolves is a great name and it still leaves ties to the original name.

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
    Ok...in today's environment, I get changing the name, not that I agree with it. But Commanders just doesn't sound anything like a football team.

And why did The Cleveland Indians have to change their name, but the KC Chiefs didn't (yet)?
    Stronger PC groups in Cleveland than in Atlanta and KC…

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I could certainly get on board with that!

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

I could certainly get on board with that!

I don’t know…if I were a fan of the Redskins, I may want to see memes of Washington Commies before any memes of the “Washington Hogs” if you know what I mean.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I don’t know…if I were a fan of the Redskins, I may want to see memes of Washington Commies before any memes of the “Washington Hogs” if you know what I mean.
    "Pork barrel spending?"

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

Somehow I just don't like the term 'Commander' coming from Washington. Makes me think of sleepy Joe or the damn useless VP that's roaming around town. ILLITERATE seems plausible.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post

They will have to change in the next couple of years. Try using google and find some news articles about the origins of the Cleveland Indians and the KC Chiefs.

Neither was named out of any form of interest or respect towards Native Americans. Both teams realized at some point that their mascots like Chief Wahoo and Warpaint were actually offensive to Native Americans and they stopped using them, but just like Miami (OH), St. John's University and others, they will change their names eventually.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Stronger PC groups in Cleveland than in Atlanta and KC…
    Part of it is the term "Indian" is an improper title to the Native Americans. India is a country on the other side of the planet. It's sorta like a calling a chinese person japanese or vice versa, and you'll probably piss them off eventually.

Chief is a rank / title, and could be used in another context, and a Brave is well, a warrior, which isn't anything offensive I'd think.

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Seriously thats thier logo? They expect people to line up for hats and shirts with the next government agency of choice logo?

Might as well get a hat from Paducah Family and Childrens services

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

KC Chiefs were named after the mayor of Kansas City Roe Bartle - knick named 'the Chief'. If that's offensive then maybe they ought to stop referring to the late Art Rooney Senior as the Chief and remove all references from his plaques and statue.

And native Americans referred to themselves as Redskins since the 1700's just as they referred to settlers as White skins or white men.
    Just a fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    KC Chiefs were named after the mayor of Kansas City Roe Bartle - knick named 'the Chief'. If that's offensive then maybe they ought to stop referring to the late Art Rooney Senior as the Chief and remove all references from his plaques and statue.

And native Americans referred to themselves as Redskins since the 1700's just as they referred to settlers as White skins or white men.
    Just a fact.
    Was the KC mayor shaped like an arrowhead? Did he run around with a tomahawk doing a chopping motion? Was he fond of warpaint like the name of the former team mascot?

If you are making the connection that the team name and mascots and traditions aren't offensive, because the mayor was some old white guy....then all the team symbols should match him and his image, should they not? I think the logo should be some white guy in thick glasses like in this picture of Mayor Harold Roe Bartle and that way there can be no mistaking that the name has nothing to do with savage native Americans that are on the warpath.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Here’s an easy test to see if an identifier is offensive. Don’t debate the dubious origins of the term.

Pick out your term. Go find a dive bar that has a high population of the folks you think this term applies to.

Plaster your friendliest smile on your face. Walk in and shout “Hello my [insert dubious term here]!”

If you get your ass kicked, it’s offensive. If you gain some new friends, guess it’s okay?

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Was the KC mayor shaped like an arrowhead? Did he run around with a tomahawk doing a chopping motion? Was he fond of warpaint like the name of the former team mascot?

If you are making the connection that the team name and mascots and traditions aren't offensive, because the mayor was some old white guy....then all the team symbols should match him and his image, should they not? I think the logo should be some white guy in thick glasses like in this picture of Mayor Harold Roe Bartle and that way there can be no mistaking that the name has nothing to do with savage native Americans that are on the warpath.

It’s just a football game and people are having fun, there’s no slight intended, people get hyped whether it’s the Vikings, Cowboys, Chiefs, Texans, Legion, Hitites whatever. It’s the aggressive nature of football. If someone is hypersensitive they can easily find something to be offended about. Maybe better to direct that sensitivity toward persecution happening to peoples around the world today than at a football team’s name.
    Last edited by Steeler-in-west; 02-05-2022 at 02:36 AM.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crow-Magnon View Post
    Teams with names longer than two syllables are often (maybe mostly) called by a shortened, truncated name. Think Pats (Patriots), Niners (49’ers). Will they be “Comms”?

Bad franchise. Bad owner. Bad name.

Washington "Commies" fits.
    All Defense!

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

People are only offended if they want to be offended. This whole thing is out of hand.

I’d really like to know who approved the Commanders and how that meeting ultimately went down…

What was wrong with Redwolves, Redtails, whatever…

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I’d really like to know who approved the Commanders and how that meeting ultimately went down…

What was wrong with Redwolves, Redtails, whatever…
    I felt they should have gone with 'The Engines'.......................................... .............................(Injuns)

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I was hoping for the DC Marvels.

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    It’s just a football game and people are having fun, there’s no slight intended, people get hyped whether it’s the Vikings, Cowboys, Chiefs, Texans, Legion, Hitites whatever. It’s the aggressive nature of football. If someone is hypersensitive they can easily find something to be offended about. Maybe better to direct that sensitivity toward persecution happening to peoples around the world today than at a football team’s name.
    Just imagine that in 1890, that 20 million Chinese people came to the USA and took over, colonized the white european immigrants and became the majority race in North America. Then things evolved to the point where they had a professional Basketball or Soccer league, where some of the more successful teams were the Washington Whitefaces, the Houston Roundeyes and the New York Americans.

They had some mascots of fat white guys with a cheeseburger in their hands, bald and angry white men with a cigar in their mouths shaking their fists, etc. How do you think that white people would feel about those team names, mascots and imagery?

The Chinese people that colonized the US would just say "its just a game" and "we named the team after Xi "Roundeye" Chang, who was the mayor and had really round eyes for a Chinese man. I guess a lot of posters on this board would likely be OK being a minority race in a country where their ancestors were treated as mascots.

Senior Member Array title="steelcityboyz has a brilliant future"> steelcityboyz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Just imagine that in 1890, that 20 million Chinese people came to the USA and took over, colonized the white european immigrants and became the majority race in North America. Then things evolved to the point where they had a professional Basketball or Soccer league, where some of the more successful teams were the Washington Whitefaces, the Houston Roundeyes and the New York Americans.

They had some mascots of fat white guys with a cheeseburger in their hands, bald and angry white men with a cigar in their mouths shaking their fists, etc. How do you think that white people would feel about those team names, mascots and imagery?

The Chinese people that colonized the US would just say "its just a game" and "we named the team after Xi "Roundeye" Chang, who was the mayor and had really round eyes for a Chinese man. I guess a lot of posters on this board would likely be OK being a minority race in a country where their ancestors were treated as mascots.
    Why is everything white with you? "Old white man "Fat white guys" "Angry white guy" Maybe you should get over your white hate?

Right or wrong, local people who are fans of the Washington team, will say they are Skins fans. I try not to pass judgment on anyone, and we have statues that have been ripped down in the last year,…..but I am in fear that anything said will be offensive. I just wonder, if Snyder weren’t such an ass, whether the name would have been an issue.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Right or wrong, local people who are fans of the Washington team, will say they are Skins fans. I try not to pass judgment on anyone, and we have statues that have been ripped down in the last year,…..but I am in fear that anything said will be offensive. I just wonder, if Snyder weren’t such an ass, whether the name would have been an issue.
    Yes.

Snyder did something about it in order to distract from his myriad other toxic sins. Likely in an attempt to maintain ownership.