Thread: Interesting Counterpoint to the DL Pickup Scenarios

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Interesting Counterpoint to the DL Pickup Scenarios

https://steelersdepot.com/2022/01/pa...s-years-draft/

There is a bit of a point here. Here is a potential depth-chart:

1. Heyward
    2. Tuitt
    3. Alualu
    4. Wormely
    5. Loudermilk
    6. Adams
    7. Davis
    8/9. Rookie Draft Pick
    Special Teams: Mondeaux

Even, if as the article suggests, you count Mondeaux as a special teams guy only...that is still one DL too many for the Steelers typical 53 man roster.

I realize that if Tuitt is out, then you need an addition of a starting caliber guy. But...assume that list all goes to training camp. Who would be your cuts to make room for a draft pick? Note: In this hypothetical the final 53 man roster will have 6 DL and the rookie is too well regarded to go to the PS.

I think I can see a path to trying to sneak Carlos Davis to the PS. That means as GM I would have to cut one of Wormley, Alualu, or Adams to make the numbers work. Plus, if I keep Mondeaux on the roster as a ST's guy...I have to find another position group to go light at (maybe I can steal a spot from the RB room - hoping that Harris continues to be unbreakable).

Just thought this was an interesting hypothetical exercise that highlights how complex roster issues can get.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Re: Interesting Counterpoint to the DL Pickup Scenarios

Losing Wormley would not kill us, and if we're that heavy with linemen, I don't think Mondeaux offers anything on special teams that one of the others could do.

Of course, all that is assuming that both Tuitt and Alualu return, about which I am pessimistic to say the least. We could get them both back, or we could have neither, in which case we've got the opposite problem.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    https://steelersdepot.com/2022/01/pa...s-years-draft/

There is a bit of a point here. Here is a potential depth-chart:

1. Heyward
    2. Tuitt
    3. Alualu
    4. Wormely
    5. Loudermilk
    6. Adams
    7. Davis
    8/9. Rookie Draft Pick
    Special Teams: Mondeaux

Even, if as the article suggests, you count Mondeaux as a special teams guy only...that is still one DL too many for the Steelers typical 53 man roster.

I realize that if Tuitt is out, then you need an addition of a starting caliber guy. But...assume that list all goes to training camp. Who would be your cuts to make room for a draft pick? Note: In this hypothetical the final 53 man roster will have 6 DL and the rookie is too well regarded to go to the PS.

I think I can see a path to trying to sneak Carlos Davis to the PS. That means as GM I would have to cut one of Wormley, Alualu, or Adams to make the numbers work. Plus, if I keep Mondeaux on the roster as a ST's guy...I have to find another position group to go light at (maybe I can steal a spot from the RB room - hoping that Harris continues to be unbreakable).

Just thought this was an interesting hypothetical exercise that highlights how complex roster issues can get.

I'd just eliminate Mondeaux and ask the rookie / davis / loudermilk to absorb the ST snaps , that said I didnt read the article
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

IF I understand the rules correctly....

1. Cam stays
    2. Tuitt stays
    3. Wormley stays
    4. Loudermilk stays
    5. Adams stays
    6. Rookie draft pick

But realistically if all these guys are healthy and coming back...

1. Cam/Wormley DE
    2. Tuitt/Loudermilk DT
    3. Alualu NT

Davis and Adams to PS
    Mondeaux stays on ST

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

I would assume Tuitt is gone and start from there.

The rest are bench guys really. I can't see Alualu as a full time D-lineman and even as a NT he's not playing all the snaps

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    I would assume Tuitt is gone and start from there.

The rest are bench guys really. I can't see Alualu as a full time D-lineman and even as a NT he's not playing all the snaps
    I'm not really optimistic on Tuitt or Alualu's short term futures even. Great players when healthy but they did just suffer some crushing injuries that are especially bad in this phase of their careers.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

I don't think Tuitt will be back...Just my feeling

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    I'm not really optimistic on Tuitt or Alualu's short term futures even. Great players when healthy but they did just suffer some crushing injuries that are especially bad in this phase of their careers.
    I agree. What free agent d-linemen are out there worth taking a look at?

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

I am under the assumption we get Alualu back and Tuitt retires

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Can’t read it. Sooo many pop ups.

We don’t need depth; we need a blue-chip player. Either give me Akiem Hicks or draft a DT/DE by the end of R2.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    IF I understand the rules correctly....

1. Cam stays
    2. Tuitt stays
    3. Wormley stays
    4. Loudermilk stays
    5. Adams stays
    6. Rookie draft pick

But realistically if all these guys are healthy and coming back...

1. Cam/Wormley DE
    2. Tuitt/Loudermilk DT
    3. Alualu NT

Davis and Adams to PS
    Mondeaux stays on ST
    Just realized....Adams can't go to PS. This is his 6th year coming up.
    I guess a guy that only gives ST reps is the most expendable, so release Mondeaux. But Dangerfield stuck around for a long while with only ST value.
    When the HC says he doesn't know the plans of a starting player, after that player has missed an entire season, I do not expect Tuitt back.
    Cam is the leader. He's not going anywhere.
    I like the reps I saw from the rookie Loudermilk. Worth seeing more of him. I would not put him on PS.
    Wormley reminds me of the Steve McLendon. A good player but out of his natural position. I think Wormley moves more to a 3/5 tech and improves production.
    Alualu is 34/35 years old. As a fair comparison....Hampton retired 34/35, Alualu is in the final year of his contract, he will be the NT for 2022 if healthy.
    As for a rookie draft pick....2 ways to go here. Draft for Alualu's expected departure and take a NT in rounds 3/4. OR Draft a blue chip DE/DT in rounds 1/2.
    The only FA pickup that really makes sense for 2022 is at NT. I would hope at a Sheldon Richardson/DaQuan Jones level.