View Poll Results: Which FA do you want the MOST?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Terron Armstead, OT

0 0%
  • Orlando Brown, Jr., OT

6 27.27%
  • Ryan Jensen, C

10 45.45%
  • Chandler Jones, OLB

0 0%
  • JC Jackson, CB

3 13.64%
  • Carlton Davis, CB

0 0%
  • Darious Williams, CB

0 0%
  • Akiem Hicks, DT

2 9.09%
  • Laken Tomlinson, G

0 0%
  • other

1 4.55%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which FREE AGENT would you want to sign the MOST?

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Which FREE AGENT would you want to sign the MOST?

We have enough money to back up the brinks truck for (at least) one top-tier free agent.

Click your answer... and post your rationale.

Senior Member Array title="Orion has a reputation beyond repute"> Orion's Avatar

Re: Which FREE AGENT would you want to sign the MOST?

i went with ryan jensen. free agent tackles are just to costly. from a salary cap perspective it is much more cap friendly to sign a free agent center than tackle. the highest paid center in the league only makes as much as a below average tackle.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

I'd love Orlando brown , that said its not gonna happen ... he has played so well he winds up with a huge deal and we have 20 something free agents and a roster to fill out so while we have a lot of cap space we also have a lot of void in the roster so expensive guys are not gonna be happening IMO ... Orion has the right idea get a quality player who can help you while you draft his eventual replacement to learn under him so you get quality play at a discount and hopefully a mentor in the process
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

O-line first then CB.

Are any of the CBs on a 2019 Steven Nelson-level. Meaning decent but not too expensive?

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I went top tier LT. I'm still hunting a superbowl in 2022. IMO, that starts with the OL. I have not heard anything so I have to assume at this point Tuitt will return so my DL is back to full strength.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Went with Jensen also, we saw how halfway decent center play can help the running game. We still need an OT also. I'm completely fine with OBJ as well if we can get him. Whichever position we don't get in FA (OT or C) look for them in the draft.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Jensen, then we can look to the draft for an OT. I would get a CB in FA as well, and draft an ILB (all depends on Tuitt returning).

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I went with Jackson at CB. And really, it would be any top tier CB.

I think they can "fix" the OL other ways. But they have a poor track record on DBs.

The defense would benefit SO MUCH from a guy that you could just leave alone and free up MF and others to do other stuff. I think the coverages that the team can play were limited last year because they didn't have that CB you can just stick on a WR and say "we should win this one".

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

I went with Jensen, because we probably could use two guys on the OL, and having someone who can step in at our biggest trouble spot right away would be better than trying another rookie. And then the second guy (probably mid-round draft pick) could be someone where there's less pressure for immediate success. And a center would be cheap enough that we could probably find another FA as well. It all just works out too well.

We really need to know whether Tuitt and Alualu are coming back, because if either one is not, it would be Hicks for sure because we would have an immediate problem. I have my doubts they will both be back.

We can "get by" with our existing secondary, but would be nice to add a corner if we could. But that would be my third priority.

It's too bad that the free agent ILBs mostly look like they're not a lot better than the guys we have; otherwise I would have said that's a prime position they could be searching for. In all likelihood, it seems lime we may be looking at another year of Bush + random stiff.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Aaron Rodgers, DERP.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Brown Jr, though that's unlikely.

He can give Mason more time to be mediocre.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I went with Jackson at CB. And really, it would be any top tier CB.

I think they can "fix" the OL other ways. But they have a poor track record on DBs.

The defense would benefit SO MUCH from a guy that you could just leave alone and free up MF and others to do other stuff. I think the coverages that the team can play were limited last year because they didn't have that CB you can just stick on a WR and say "we should win this one".
    This is a great idea but maybe the pats will put the franchise tag on him

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Aaron Rodgers, DERP.
    I know you are joking ...

fun fact ....

The 49ers selected Alex Smith over Aaron Rodgers and ARod still gave them 4 playoff wins

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Since there's no quarterbacks on that list, I'll go with other.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    The best 2 on the open market will be Mitchell Trubisky and Jameis Winston

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    The best 2 on the open market will be Mitchell Trubisky and Jameis Winston

Senior Member Array title="Orion has a reputation beyond repute"> Orion's Avatar

armstead and brown are looking at 23 million a year contracts. the chiefs just traded for brown. do you think they traded for him just to have him for one year ? the chiefs will pay him.

The Chiefs traded their 2021 first-round pick (No. 31 overall), a third-rounder (94), fourth-round pick (136) and a 2022 fifth-round selection in exchange for Brown and a 2021 second-round pick (No. 58) and a 2022 sixth-round pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    armstead and brown are looking at 23 million a year contracts. the chiefs just traded for brown. do you think they traded for him just to have him for one year ? the chiefs will pay him.
    franchise tag?

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    franchise tag?
    i can see the chiefs going that route to save a few million,(projected 17 million for OLINE) but the saints cant even afford the franchise tag number. they are royally screwed.

The Chiefs can't risk Orlando Brown being a one-year rental by becoming a free agent given the draft capital required to obtain him from the Ravens. Brown forced a trade because he wanted to be a left tackle, which wasn't possible in Baltimore because of All-Pro Ronnie Stanley. The Chiefs gave up their 2021 first round pick (31st overall), a 2021 third round pick (94th overall), a 2021 fourth pick (136th overall) and a 2022 fifth round selection to the Ravens for Brown, a 2021 second round pick (58th overall) and a 2022 sixth round pick.

Brown's Pro Bowl selection validates his move from right tackle to left tackle. The Chiefs are likely going to join the ranks of teams paying a premium financially when a long term deal for a player who had remaining time on his contract isn't done in connection with a trade involving significant draft capital. Any long-term deal will surely put him in the $20 million per year offensive lineman club, which currently has three members. Left tackles Trent Williams, David Bakhtiari and Laremy Tunsil have deals with the 49ers, Packers and Texans averaging $23.01 million, $23 million and $22 million per year respectively.
    https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/a...each-position/

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

There really are no bad choices from that list; I could make a case for each & every one (which is why I listed them, but did not list any receivers). That said, there are two things:

1) I want a starter/a hole filled. Period. I do not want to get a guy who is a stop-gap until the rookie can take over.

2) We have the most cap space we have had in a decade, and I intend to use it to its fullest. (NOTE: We can get another $17 million by cutting Banner, Schobert, and Derek Watt.)

BROWN / ARMSTEAD: This would be my druthers. For months, I have mentioned signing Zeus away from the Chiefs... which we can do, because we have the cap space to pay him $23 million (and the Chiefs do not). If the Chiefs franchise tag him, then we go with Plan B: Armstead. The Saints are $74 million over the cap (they cannot even franchise tag him). Plug either one of them in at LT, move Dan Moore to RT, and voila! our bookends are solved for the next half-decade.

JENSEN: He starts immediately. And, the operative word is "starts". I get that a center costs less than a LT, but a center is also easier to find in the draft. You can get a starting center in R2 or R3, but most of the time, you almost have to use the R1 pick on a LT. Ergo, I would sign a LT and draft a center.

CORNERBACK: Colbert's Achilles heel is drafting corners. Sign the best one out there. I like Carlton Davis, but am still holding out hope that Jalen Ramsey is a cap casualty.

JONES: He is simply a stud. Not a need, and I love Highsmith. But, if we could pair Jones with Watt...

HICKS: Tuitt is likely not returning, and Alualu has ended the past two seasons on IR. Hicks improves our defense immediately.

TOMLINSON: I am actually not sure why I added his name. I foresee Green moving to RG. But, if Green does stay at center, Tomlinson is an upgrade over Turner.

meh..the chiefs have plenty of moves to free up cap space. they can give tyreek hill an extention and restructure. they would cut frank clark and free up 14 million before they let brown go. it will be interesting to see if they try to keep honey badger in the mix.

meh..the chiefs have plenty of moves to free up cap space. they can give tyreek hill an extention and restructure. they would cut frank clark and free up 14 million before they let brown go. it will be interesting to see if they try to keep honey badger in the mix.
    Don’t squash my dreams!!!

Regardless of my delusions, this is THE year for the Steelers to sign a big name free agent. They have the space to do it… and, unfortunately, they have a couple of major holes and only two “high impact” picks with which to fill them. (I know that R3-R4 players can indeed have in impact, but the statistics show that your “difference-makers” come from the first two rounds).

SUMMATION:
    Give me one of those free agents.
    You can choose. Just mske it happen.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Don’t squash my dreams!!!

Regardless of my delusions, this is THE year for the Steelers to sign a big name free agent. They have the space to do it… and, unfortunately, they have a couple of major holes and only two “high impact” picks with which to fill them. (I know that R3-R4 players can indeed have in impact, but the statistics show that your “difference-makers” come from the first two rounds).

SUMMATION:
    Give me one of those free agents.
    You can choose. Just mske it happen.
    I hope they are able to. But I also hope the pro player scouting part of the FO knows their stuff.

Traditionally, or at least the last several years as almost every team has become cap savvy, free agency is just an opportunity to pay high end of average players star player money.

Now, if the Steelers had to overpay to get Brown here to play LT...fine. But as much as I want a CB...not sure I also want to line up to pay anyone on this list $5-8 million more than comparable players...ugggghhhhhh....I keep talking myself out of FA spending sprees....

maybe waiting and plucking a player or two away from the saints via trade is more the way to go than high $ free agents ...

Saints are 79 million over the cap , they do not have a starting QB on the roster and need a new HC and system ... lots of bodies will be on the move and if you can snag 1 or 2 on prior years contract $$'s you would be ahead of the game IMO

Saints will be looking to stockpile draft capital for many of these players in a post june 1 dump may as well take advantage with some late round futures offer

Bradley Roby anyone for a 5th round pick ..I would be a buyer he is due 10 million this year , I'd rather pay him than Haden at this point

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I went with Brown. Pretty self explanatory. If not Brown than a CB.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Aaron Rodgers, DERP.
    He chokes too much.

Seriously if they do land him they will have to sign one of those OL from that list first for him to agree to come here.

Senior Member Array title="Drazo85 has a reputation beyond repute"> Drazo85's Avatar
    Tetris Champion! Jungle Fruit Champion!

maybe waiting and plucking a player or two away from the saints via trade is more the way to go than high $ free agents ...

Saints are 79 million over the cap , they do not have a starting QB on the roster and need a new HC and system ... lots of bodies will be on the move and if you can snag 1 or 2 on prior years contract $$'s you would be ahead of the game IMO

Saints will be looking to stockpile draft capital for many of these players in a post june 1 dump may as well take advantage with some late round futures offer

Bradley Roby anyone for a 5th round pick ..I would be a buyer he is due 10 million this year , I'd rather pay him than Haden at this point
    Green Bay may be a target as well. Especially if Rodgers moves on. And no, I'm not talking about trading for him.

Послато са Redmi Note 9 Pro помоћу Тапатока

my FA spending would look significantly different than teegres. he would blow the entire bank account on one great player, where as i would want to get as many solid players as possible. a chain is only as strong as its weakest links. we have multiple weak links. the best LT in the league wont help the interior of the line or the defense. ii believe 3 or 4 above average players would help more than 1 really good player.

i've put together a list of free agents that should be around 10 million or less, these are not top 5 players but all of them are above the standard and an upgrade over what we currently have. i would be calling them all on march 2nd.

center
    Brian allen - rams
    ben jones - tennessee
    bradley bozeman - ravens
    ryan jensen - tampa

guard
    alex cappa - tampa bay
    mason cole - vikings
    laken tomlinson - san fran
    connor williams - dallas

tackle
    joseph noteboom (T/G) - rams
    tom compton (T/G) - san fran

corner back
    mike hughes - KC
    casey hayward - raiders
    MJ stewart - browns
    isaiah oliver - atlanta
    rasul douglas - GB

safety
    jordan whitehead - tampa
    jayron kearse - dallas

NT
    Dj Jones - san fran
    harrison phillips - buffalo
    sebastian joseph ( NT/ DE) - rams

LB
    De'vondre campbell - packers.

my FA spending would look significantly different than teegres. he would blow the entire bank account on one great player, where as i would want to get as many solid players as possible. a chain is only as strong as its weakest links. we have multiple weak links. the best LT in the league wont help the interior of the line or the defense. ii believe 3 or 4 above average players would help more than 1 really good player.

i've put together a list of free agents that should be around 10 million or less, these are not top 5 players but all of them are above the standard and an upgrade over what we currently have. i would be calling them all on march 2nd.

center
    Brian allen - rams
    ben jones - tennessee
    bradley bozeman - ravens
    ryan jensen - tampa

guard
    alex cappa - tampa bay
    mason cole - vikings
    laken tomlinson - san fran
    connor williams - dallas

tackle
    joseph noteboom (T/G) - rams
    tom compton (T/G) - san fran

corner back
    mike hughes - KC
    casey hayward - raiders
    MJ stewart - browns
    isaiah oliver - atlanta
    rasul douglas - GB

safety
    jordan whitehead - tampa

jayron kearse - dallas

NT
    Dj Jones - san fran
    harrison phillips - buffalo
    sebastian joseph ( NT/ DE) - rams

LB
    De'vondre campbell - packers.
    jordan whitehead's tattoo artist is from Ellwood City Pa / now in Beaver Pa (Will Lee so maybe there is a chance lol )
    Last edited by Dwinsgames; 01-26-2022 at 09:14 PM.

jordan whitehead tattoo artist is from Ellwood City Pa / now in Beaver Pa (Will Lee so maybe there is a chance lol )
    sorry..i dont get the reference.