Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DC Candidate: Saints DB Coach - Kris Richard

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

DC Candidate: Saints DB Coach - Kris Richard

The Steelers have requested permission to interview Saints DB coach, Kris Richard, for their vacant DC position.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: DC Candidate: Saints DB Coach - Kris Richard

Anyone know anything about him?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Ahhhh. It’s Rooney rule stuff.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Anyone know anything about him?
    Legion. Of. Boom.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

is it ?

or did we just have a batch of reporters who wanted to be 1st to report instead of wanting to be the one who got it right ??

I mean they would only need 1 minority interview to satisfy the rule , why go for multiple interviews if you already have your guy ?
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

I wanted Richard a few years ago, when we were looking for a DB coach. I love me some Teryl Austin; so, I am happy. Do not get me wrong. But, I really like Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    is it ?

or did we just have a batch of reporters who wanted to be 1st to report instead of wanting to be the one who got it right ??

I mean they would only need 1 minority interview to satisfy the rule , why go for multiple interviews if you already have your guy ?
    Apparently the rule has been changed to two external candidates.

I don’t know. Just what I read.

Senior Member Array title="ETL has a reputation beyond repute"> ETL's Avatar

Vic Fangio should have been hired the minute Butler said “I’m ret…”

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

It's really bad optics to assume that an African American couldn't get an interview on merit.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

This is the 2nd interview after the one of the former DC of the Giants, so I don't know how many interviews they need to do for the Rooney rule...1?,2?,or more...I don't know

Richard has a great resume as DB coach...He was the DB coach of the seahawks between 2011 to 2014 so he probably did a great job in the development for the 3 all-pros since 2 of his players were mid or late round draft picks after he was their DC for 3 seasons between 2015 to 2017 and their defense was still good despite the injuries or decline of certain players... DB coach with Dallas in 2018 and 2019 and DB coach with the saints in 2021

Better candidate for me than Graham and Austin

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

is it ?

Require to interview one minority from outside

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    This is the 2nd interview after the one of the former DC of the Giants, so I don't know how many interviews they need to do for the Rooney rule...1?,2?,or more...I don't know
    They requested interview with Giants DC but did the actually interview him? I didnt see

Merry Christmas

Just need 1 in this case, but the steelers want to speak with 2 people for this job right now....So Austin is the favorite for this job, but maybe not a lock

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by NCSteeler View Post
    They requested interview with Giants DC but did the actually interview him? I didnt see

No right now but it will surely come.The Giants don't have a head coach right now, so we don't know if their next head coach will want to keep him.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Apparently the rule has been changed to two external candidates.

I don’t know. Just what I read.
    go figure........

anything to confuse the masses

go figure........

anything to confuse the masses
    according to post 12,this is only 1 for a OC or DC

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    according to post 12,this is only 1 for a OC or DC
    so perhaps this is turning into a legitimate search ( it should always be just that )

hopefully they bring in some others as well and come out of it with the best man for the job whomever that may be

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    It's really bad optics to assume that an African American couldn't get an interview on merit.
    Sure. But it’s how the NFL roles. Why do you think everyone annually interviews Omar Khan and then hires someone else?

9 times out of 10, NFL teams line up minority candidate interviews right away. Then interviews for the dudes they’re planning on hiring.

I didn’t invent the pattern.

I honestly think the rule has outlived its usefulness

it was designed to help balance the job opening with minority candidates and ensure they got a shot even if that shot was just to satisfy the rule ..

but today we have many minority coaches at all levels of the coaching trees , far more minority coaches by percentage than minority people by percentage so the primary reason for the rule no longer has the same reasoning / logic behind it IMO

I believe the leagues eyes are open that minority coaches have as much legitimacy as any other coach and should be considered as such , I do not think there needs to be a rule in place to be certain they get interviews at this time .. in fact it should be insulting

just my 2 cents

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

but today we have many minority coaches at all levels of the coaching trees , far more minority coaches by percentage than minority people by percentage so the primary reason for the rule no longer has the same reasoning / logic behind it IMO
    Currently, there is ONE black NFL coach - Mike Tomlin. One.

the hiring cycle has just begun and its not for just HC its for all coaches ....

we had more in 2021 than 1 .... a few lost their jobs ( and at least 1 will likely get another shot Flores as he IMO shouldn't have been fired )

its NOT about BLACK its about minority ... so in other words Asian , Latin American , Indian , American Indian etc etc etc etc ...

Last I checked Ron Rivera fits into that category as well ( in 2021 Anthony Lynn and Brian Flores along with Mike Tomlin ) so right there thats 4 Minority head coaches off the top of my head and countless coordinators and position coaches ..

but we can agree to disagree , if it were me I would be insulted to get an interview based on the color of my skin and not for the knowledge I possessed

the hiring cycle has just begun and its not for just HC its for all coaches ....

we had more in 2021 than 1 .... a few lost their jobs ( and at least 1 will likely get another shot Flores as he IMO shouldn't have been fired )

its NOT about BLACK its about minority ... so in other words Asian , Latin American , Indian , American Indian etc etc etc etc ...

Last I checked Ron Rivera fits into that category as well ( in 2021 Anthony Lynn and Brian Flores along with Mike Tomlin ) so right there thats 4 Minority head coaches off the top of my head and countless coordinators and position coaches ..

but we can agree to disagree , if it were me I would be insulted to get an interview based on the color of my skin and not for the knowledge I possessed
    We do and we shall.

It's also an insult not to be interviewed based on the color of your skin.

We do and we shall.

It's also an insult not to be interviewed based on the color of your skin.
    I do not disagree ... Merit should always dictate

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Yes, 3% of NFL head Coaches are black. Pretty much reflects the rest of the NFL workplace, where approximately 70% of NFL players are black.

As for Kris Richard, he was apparently running Pete Carrol's defense in Seattle. Good coach, well liked, but I dont see him bringing a lot of experience running a defense, at least not any more than Teryl Austin. But we will see what happens. Maybe Austin becomes DC and Richard moves to Steelers as DB coach after Sean Peyton "retires".

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Yes, 3% of NFL head Coaches are black. Pretty much reflects the rest of the NFL workplace, where approximately 70% of NFL players are black.

As for Kris Richard, he was apparently running Pete Carrol's defense in Seattle. Good coach, well liked, but I dont see him bringing a lot of experience running a defense, at least not any more than Teryl Austin. But we will see what happens. Maybe Austin becomes DC and Richard moves to Steelers as DB coach after Sean Peyton "retires".
    I was wondering if Richard was a "two for one" interview schedule. Or at least it crossed my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post

again its not supposed to be about hiring black coaches its supposed to be about hiring minority coaches meaning any and all minorities

4 minority head coaches in 2021...

at the end of the day I can not help but wonder in a multi billion dollar industry ( the NFL ) why would you not just want the best person for the job irregardless of race , sex ,creed or origin .... give me the people that grant my team ( aka business) the best chance to succeed because team success is what generates revenue and at the end of the day its about making money as an owner

again its not supposed to be about hiring black coaches its supposed to be about hiring minority coaches meaning any and all minorities

at the end of the day I can not help but wonder in a multi billion dollar industry ( the NFL ) why would you not just want the best person for the job irregardless of race , sex ,creed or origin .... give me the people that grant my team ( aka business) the best chance to succeed because team success is what generates revenue and at the end of the day its about making money as an owner
    If the owners were all operating as rational and logical actors that should work.

But read about how most GMs, coaches, presidents of football operations, or whatever other top tier jobs teams have are hired. And the hiring practices are comically inept and almost totally divorced from merit for many franchises. It is about who you know, who knows you, and who a random owner chooses to listen to when they hire for these positions.

If some "old NFL hand" doesn't know you, think highly of you, and serve as your advocate and shepherd, then you are going to have a significant disadvantage moving up through the system.

Is it because NFL owners and GMs are overtly or even covertly racist? I have no idea, nor do I really care. It would not shock me that a bunch of old rich people are not that open-minded in their personal beliefs. But that is really besides the point. The NFL has a pervasive problem of recycling the same old tired candidates and the only fresh people that get introduced into the system usually have the same last name as someone already in the system.

To me, it looks more like a class based system than a racially exclusive one. But...we are out in murky waters that are far from the original point.

The only thing I wanted to say and then I got into a pointless tangent...is that the assumption that NFL teams are employing rigorously logical and merit based hiring practices aimed at the singular goal of winning championships is false. Some organizations are hiring guys solely because some other guy told them to. Others are hiring so that this faction or that faction in the organization can retain power. And so on and so forth.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Getting minorities interviews with GMs and owners is not the only goal. Hire who you feel is the best fit for your team. But let's open up the interview process so we don't just keep reshuffling the same names around on different teams. That is going to kill the product. Hiring new names, new faces, and new ideas helps evolve the game. The rule itself could be adjusted to say there must be no less than 10 potential hires interviewed. Doesn't necessarily have to mandate minorities but it would do the same thing and probably with better results.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

OK, so the NFL is approximately 70% Black, 25% white and 5% other(hispanic, Asian, etc). While the coaching is approximately 12% minority and 88% white.

If you want the best person for the job regardless of race, sex, origin, etc. then its difficult to say some names like Adam Gase, Joe Judge as believing they got a better shot than Jim Caldwell or Eric Bienemy and Byron Leftwich, because there were more skilled. The reality is that Old White Owners are more comfortable with white guys being the face of their franchise from a coaching perspective.

- - - Updated - - -

OK, so the NFL is approximately 70% Black, 25% white and 5% other(hispanic, Asian, etc). While the coaching is approximately 12% minority and 88% white.

If you want the best person for the job regardless of race, sex, origin, etc. then its difficult to say some names like Adam Gase, Joe Judge as believing they got a better shot than Jim Caldwell or Eric Bienemy and Byron Leftwich, because there were more skilled. The reality is that Old White Owners are more comfortable with white guys being the face of their franchise from a coaching perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Getting minorities interviews with GMs and owners is not the only goal. Hire who you feel is the best fit for your team. But let's open up the interview process so we don't just keep reshuffling the same names around on different teams. That is going to kill the product. Hiring new names, new faces, and new ideas helps evolve the game. The rule itself could be adjusted to say there must be no less than 10 potential hires interviewed. Doesn't necessarily have to mandate minorities but it would do the same thing and probably with better results.
    I would support anything that would force teams off of the same old coaching carousel.

Totally agree that reshuffling the same cards has and will continue to stifle innovation.