Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Steelers put in a request to interview Giants DC Patrick Graham for the same position

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

The Steelers put in a request to interview Giants DC Patrick Graham for the same position

This is not a lock for Austin after all

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Re: The Steelers put in a request to interview Giants DC Patrick Graham for the same position

Just satisfying the external Rooney rule. Hopefully I'm wrong.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Re: The Steelers put in a request to interview Giants DC Patrick Graham for the same position

He was the Dolphins DC under Flores for one season, then moved to the Giants when Joe Judge got the job. Sounds like a good guy and good coach, but not sure that I see him as having a better resume than Austin. Who knows, but at least the search process is active.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

last time we hired a graham from the giants it was a flop

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    did you really have to remind us of Jeff ....

I had successfully wiped that from my mind after decades of hard work and just like that its back
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    how about that Graham UH hired?

he has set our college program back 5 years...

Senior Member Array title="Orion has a reputation beyond repute"> Orion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    how about that Graham UH hired?

he has set our college program back 5 years...

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

He could be the HC of the giants,so maybe the interview will not happen

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

I'm just happy to see them looking outside that 2 mile radius thinking. I just hope it is real and not just going through the routine

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    I'm just happy to see them looking outside that 2 mile radius thinking. I just hope it is real and not just going through the routine
    For sure. Remember when Cowher retired and the majority of people thought that Russ Grimm or Ken Wisenhunt were the 2 most likely guys to be the next HC? I dont recall a lot of people having an issue with the Steelers hiring from within back then, in fact I think there was a lot of people that were in full support of Russ Grimm.

Then they hired some guy that had only been a DC for a season with the Vikings and we know the rest.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    For sure. Remember when Cowher retired and the majority of people thought that Russ Grimm or Ken Wisenhunt were the 2 most likely guys to be the next HC? I dont recall a lot of people having an issue with the Steelers hiring from within back then, in fact I think there was a lot of people that were in full support of Russ Grimm.

Then they hired some guy that had only been a DC for a season with the Vikings and we know the rest.
    It looks like Tomlin would be more mindful of that sentiment (looking outside), since that's how he came in.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    It looks like Tomlin would be more mindful of that sentiment (looking outside), since that's how he came in.
    Not sure that its entirely his call, but I think he would likely have some input. In all reality, I think he wanted Teryl Austin on the defensive staff and why not, the guy was the Secondary coach in Seattle around 2004-05 when they had some solid players, then in Arizona around 2008 when they were in the Super Bowl and when he went to Detroit and Darius Slay and Quandre Diggs had career years under him there.

So if you work well with a guy that has a resume like Teryl Austin, I see it as the logical choice to promote him from within. Have a look around at other candidates, but I still think Austin ends up being the DC and fans will whine about it.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Not sure that its entirely his call, but I think he would likely have some input. In all reality, I think he wanted Teryl Austin on the defensive staff and why not, the guy was the Secondary coach in Seattle around 2004-05 when they had some solid players, then in Arizona around 2008 when they were in the Super Bowl and when he went to Detroit and Darius Slay and Quandre Diggs had career years under him there.

So if you work well with a guy that has a resume like Teryl Austin, I see it as the logical choice to promote him from within. Have a look around at other candidates, but I still think Austin ends up being the DC and fans will whine about it.
    If Austin was the external candidate, people would be pumped about his resume. But since everything related to the Steelers is blamed on "coaching" rather than the team not being talented enough, other teams being better, injuries, player mistakes, or whatever other factors can and do influence the outcome of NFL games...people have decided that "internal hires" is their new way to call for Tomlin's head.

Is Austin the best candidate? I have no idea. I am not well-versed on the ins and outs of all the resumes and candidates out there. But I have yet to hear an achievement based argument against his hiring. All I have heard is something about how other companies don't do this or internal hires are poor management ideas. Really? Lots of successful companies have succession plans in place for key positions. These are often multi-year planned arrangements.

I have no idea who they will hire nor can I be sure of the outcome. But I am having a hard time wrapping my head around why Austin's speculated promotion is meeting so much resistance.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    If Austin was the external candidate, people would be pumped about his resume. But since everything related to the Steelers is blamed on "coaching" rather than the team not being talented enough, other teams being better, injuries, player mistakes, or whatever other factors can and do influence the outcome of NFL games...people have decided that "internal hires" is their new way to call for Tomlin's head.

Is Austin the best candidate? I have no idea. I am not well-versed on the ins and outs of all the resumes and candidates out there. But I have yet to hear an achievement based argument against his hiring. All I have heard is something about how other companies don't do this or internal hires are poor management ideas. Really? Lots of successful companies have succession plans in place for key positions. These are often multi-year planned arrangements.

I have no idea who they will hire nor can I be sure of the outcome. But I am having a hard time wrapping my head around why Austin's speculated promotion is meeting so much resistance.
    Very good point. I think because of all the “promotion from within”, people are clearly scarred from it. You are 100% correct, if Austin came from outside with that resume, people would be psyched.

Despite the run defense (that could be corrected with Tuitt and Alualu…we don’t know if it’s that simple) the defense was still pretty solid. I don’t get some of the pass schemes but I’m also thinking that more of my frustration comes from seeing other teams receivers wide open and the Steelers receivers blanketed in coverage all the time and knowing that the Steelers have a better unit than most teams. So maybe Austin comes in makes a couple tweaks…the defense is the least of the worries as far as the 3 units go…

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Very good point. I think because of all the “promotion from within”, people are clearly scarred from it. You are 100% correct, if Austin came from outside with that resume, people would be psyched.

Despite the run defense (that could be corrected with Tuitt and Alualu…we don’t know if it’s that simple) the defense was still pretty solid. I don’t get some of the pass schemes but I’m also thinking that more of my frustration comes from seeing other teams receivers wide open and the Steelers receivers blanketed in coverage all the time and knowing that the Steelers have a better unit than most teams. So maybe Austin comes in makes a couple tweaks…the defense is the least of the worries as far as the 3 units go…
    I also find it interesting that Austin is rumored to be the leading candidate to take the DC job. He currently is working with the DBs in some capacity...and all 3 off the interview candidates are DB coaches...

Also...do they eventually turn their attention to some sort of LB coach? Or will that be a decision taken only after a DC is in place?

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

If he produces like Matt Canada we will! The defense is about 3 pieces away from being top 5 and there's no excuses in my book for not making it happen.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Yes the result was hippos farting worldwide, 007 references, and poker players uniting.

What was crazy was the 2 major Pittsburgh newspapers reporting 2 different stories. One reported Tomlin was hired and the other reported Russ Grimm was hired.

Yeah, I think the D line depth needs to be improved. Alualu is old, Cam most likely has 2 or 3 productive seasons left and Tuitt ...who knows. LB and CB too could use a couple new players, but I agree that the defense is likely the least of the problem, other than having one of the worst run defenses in the NFL.

IMO, Austin is more of a hire that maintains the current plan and direction for improvement and not an overhaul to a 4-3 that some other coordinator might prefer, so I see it as the most likely to happen.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Nor do any of us, that's why you search far and wide and hire the best coach, from the out-house ( ) or in-house. Nothing hard about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Nor do any of us, that's why you search far and wide and hire the best coach, from the out-house ( ) or in-house. Nothing hard about this.
    Again...I still don't see the point of just interviewing a parade of candidates if the organization feels it already has the best replacement on their staff.

An outside hire would have to learn the defense (because if Tomlin is really making a significant amount of the calls....then they ain't changing squat), learn the players and how they communicate, and then adapt to all that while incorporating whatever their specific additional skill-set is.

Or the guy that has already done all that and been part of a highly successful defense and played a major role in the significant positive development of almost every DB on the roster.

Honestly, I am more worried about how they find the "Austin but for Linebackers" position coach. I love me some Jerry O...but oof-da...the ILBs are not good. And while I get that TJ Watt coaches himself with some oversight from his brother JJ while they train in some Rocky-esque mountain football fortress each off-season, might be nice to have someone help the lesser mortals at the other OLB spots.

Again...I still don't see the point of just interviewing a parade of candidates if the organization feels it already has the best replacement on their staff.

An outside hire would have to learn the defense (because if Tomlin is really making a significant amount of the calls....then they ain't changing squat), learn the players and how they communicate, and then adapt to all that while incorporating whatever their specific additional skill-set is.

Or the guy that has already done all that and been part of a highly successful defense and played a major role in the significant positive development of almost every DB on the roster.

Honestly, I am more worried about how they find the "Austin but for Linebackers" position coach. I love me some Jerry O...but oof-da...the ILBs are not good. And while I get that TJ Watt coaches himself with some oversight from his brother JJ while they train in some Rocky-esque mountain football fortress each off-season, might be nice to have someone help the lesser mortals at the other OLB spots.

After the Fichtner and Butler show that should be point enough. It is for me.

Yeah the problem is the track record of who they (ie Tomlin) feel is “best.”

Senior Member Array title="Orion has a reputation beyond repute"> Orion's Avatar

wow...butler dropped some bomb shells on his way out.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

So is it possible that the LB coaching is good and the talent is just not there?

Devin Bush - was looking like the next big thing until he got injured. Not
    Sure what happened after that but he was not the same player in general. Would a different coach help that or is Bush just mentally fried?

Robert Spillane - Not the most talented player but he’s played well above his threshold many times. Granted, that threshold is no higher than an average back up ILB but I have to believe that the coaching staff got more than what they paid for out of Spillane.

Marcus Allen - playing out of position. Not a great portfolio, but he’s not making Bush Level mistakes. For a safety that was put into the mix, wasn’t terrible. I would chalk that up to some coaching.

TJ Watt - plug and play. Has very little to do with coaching.

Alex Highsmith - seems like he is developing and developing along that Bud Dupree development line. I think we see the talent level trending up? It’s just a slow increase and not sky rocketing up? Coaching helping him?

Then there’s all the other rotational guys…

So other than two guys (Watt and Bush) I think the coaching has helped those players, in their positions in a positive manner. No?

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    wow...butler dropped some bomb shells on his way out.

Are they really bombshells though?

Wouldn’t Moats know how the system operated having been in it for a period of time? So couldn’t he essentially confirm or deny? Maybe he did? I only watched about 17 minutes of the video.

If this is the case which some have thought, it makes perfect sense why not much has changed over time and why things look very similar with different coaches and coordinators.

Are they really bombshells though?

Wouldn’t Moats know how the system operated having been in it for a period of time? So couldn’t he essentially confirm or deny? Maybe he did? I only watched about 17 minutes of the video.

If this is the case which some have thought, it makes perfect sense why not much has changed over time and why things look very similar with different coaches and coordinators.
    People watch this? For information? I couldn't even make it through 10 minutes.

Moats doesn't even address what he experienced when he was there. With the coaches in question. They just spend a bunch of time speculating about hijacking Ben's career and somehow not having an elite defense for 15 years in a row or whatever...

Total nonsense.

- - - Updated - - -

So is it possible that the LB coaching is good and the talent is just not there?

Devin Bush - was looking like the next big thing until he got injured. Not
    Sure what happened after that but he was not the same player in general. Would a different coach help that or is Bush just mentally fried?

Robert Spillane - Not the most talented player but he’s played well above his threshold many times. Granted, that threshold is no higher than an average back up ILB but I have to believe that the coaching staff got more than what they paid for out of Spillane.

Marcus Allen - playing out of position. Not a great portfolio, but he’s not making Bush Level mistakes. For a safety that was put into the mix, wasn’t terrible. I would chalk that up to some coaching.

TJ Watt - plug and play. Has very little to do with coaching.

Alex Highsmith - seems like he is developing and developing along that Bud Dupree development line. I think we see the talent level trending up? It’s just a slow increase and not sky rocketing up? Coaching helping him?

Then there’s all the other rotational guys…

So other than two guys (Watt and Bush) I think the coaching has helped those players, in their positions in a positive manner. No?
    It is. I think there was some stuff that was in my head that didn't make it into the posting. Butler is reported to have been involved in the development of the OLBs as their de facto position coach for some time. So taking that out of the mix needs replaced.

And honestly, I don't know. For every positive at ILB...I feel like I can name a negative. Sure, Allen is out of position...but then why is he even on the roster? Bush could just be a headcase or not that clever, but this is not the first time he has looked lost and confused by coverage responsibilities. Spillane...yeah that seems like a guy who has been coached up.

I dunno...I just think that is a position group that needs help. Both in talent and in figuring out how to make that talent show up on Sundays.

People watch this? For information? I couldn't even make it through 10 minutes.

Moats doesn't even address what he experienced when he was there. With the coaches in question. They just spend a bunch of time speculating about hijacking Ben's career and somehow not having an elite defense for 15 years in a row or whatever...

Total nonsense.

- - - Updated - - -

It is. I think there was some stuff that was in my head that didn't make it into the posting. Butler is reported to have been involved in the development of the OLBs as their de facto position coach for some time. So taking that out of the mix needs replaced.

And honestly, I don't know. For every positive at ILB...I feel like I can name a negative. Sure, Allen is out of position...but then why is he even on the roster? Bush could just be a headcase or not that clever, but this is not the first time he has looked lost and confused by coverage responsibilities. Spillane...yeah that seems like a guy who has been coached up.

I dunno...I just think that is a position group that needs help. Both in talent and in figuring out how to make that talent show up on Sundays.
    You have the same questions I have on both topics. Butler seemed to be a very good LB Coach.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

My issue with this is Moats does not validate nor deny who was calling the plays ..... one would think he would know for fact yet he is mum on it ...

My issue with this is Moats does not validate nor deny who was calling the plays ..... one would think he would know for fact yet he is mum on it ...
    I dunno. It is weird. Surely Moats knows how it was done the years he played here...

All I got...and everyone well knows my bias against these type of things so I'm almost certainly off base here....is that Moats is doing the equivalent of local drive-time sports talk radio but on camera for some reason. He and his sidekick don't actually have anything to report, analyze, or really say. So they generate "viewers" by taking a couple of quotes from Butler via an interview that they didn't do and blowing it up into some vast decade+ long shadow conspiracy or whatever. Gives them "free" content during a period on the calendar where there really isn't all that much actual news about the Steelers to go through.

And remember...if you like this content, drop your take in the comments, and bang that subscribe button...I got bills to pay!

I dunno. It is weird. Surely Moats knows how it was done the years he played here...

All I got...and everyone well knows my bias against these type of things so I'm almost certainly off base here....is that Moats is doing the equivalent of local drive-time sports talk radio but on camera for some reason. He and his sidekick don't actually have anything to report, analyze, or really say. So they generate "viewers" by taking a couple of quotes from Butler via an interview that they didn't do and blowing it up into some vast decade+ long shadow conspiracy or whatever. Gives them "free" content during a period on the calendar where there really isn't all that much actual news about the Steelers to go through.

And remember...if you like this content, drop your take in the comments, and bang that subscribe button...I got bills to pay!
    Manscape !