Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Keith Butler informed the team he is retiring

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Keith Butler informed the team he is retiring

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Re: Keith Butler informed the team he is retiring

Steelers DC is always the 2nd most hated man in Pittsburgh, followed by the OC. Next man up and so help you god

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Austin

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Austin
    I hope not

- - - Updated - - -

I'll be honest, it's since the playoffs game in 2016 against the Pats that I want Butler out...Since that time the Steelers have always had their worst defensive game of their season when we made the playoffs, whatever it was against Brady, Mahomes or Baker and Bortles....

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    I hope not

- - - Updated - - -

I'll be honest, it's since the playoffs game in 2016 against the Pats that I want Butler out...Since that time the Steelers have always had their worst defensive game of their season when we made the playoffs, whatever it was against Brady, Mahomes or Baker and Bortles....

I am on record of NEVER wanting Butler , always felt his slow deliberate diction would be a hindrance in calling a defense , when you have just seconds to get the point across he needs minutes ... its liken being reliant on the Police to solve your problems at 3am when the closest station is 30 mins away and the intruder is already coming through the door
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    I am on record of NEVER wanting Butler , always felt his slow deliberate diction would be a hindrance in calling a defense , when you have just seconds to get the point across he needs minutes ... its liken being reliant on the Police to solve your problems at 3am when the closest station is 30 mins away and the intruder is already coming through the door
    I remember that back in 2015...You were right on that!

The lack of communication, putting linebackers on receivers and other stuff was such frustrating for me and for many others

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

It'll be Austin or Dunbar.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Jeremiah Trotter, ILB, Clemson 6. Khristian Boyd, DT, Northern Iowa 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

I hope they can bring in a good defensive coordinator who is willing to relocate to Pittsburgh. Maybe a DC who doesn’t want to deal with a new HC where they’re currently at.

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Austin
    That just sounds lazy, but very like a Tomlin move. I don't mean he is lazy, but that he has favorites and people he likes to his own detriment and usually he makes in house promotions.

Hopefully with Ben and Butler for me he'll quit doing that

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

They need to do interviews please!...With Ben gone this is time to make change on offense and defense...

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    They need to do interviews please!...With Ben gone this is time to make change on offense and defense...
    According to Rudolph, Ben wasn't running Canada's offense, so we should see a new offense

Merry Christmas

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NCSteeler View Post
    That just sounds lazy, but very like a Tomlin move. I don't mean he is lazy, but that he has favorites and people he likes to his own detriment and usually he makes in house promotions.

Hopefully with Ben and Butler for me he'll quit doing that

Agree. Very lazy.

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Austin increased the turnovers. Made every DB on the team (Except Layne) better. Had a hand in leading league in sacks for how many years? Leadership position in a defense that was #1 multiple times.

If that was the outside the organization candidate , we would all be pumped.

But because he happens to already work there, it’s somehow a bad thing?

of course....

Austin increased the turnovers. Made every DB on the team (Except Layne) better. Had a hand in leading league in sacks for how many years? Leadership position in a defense that was #1 multiple times.

If that was the outside the organization candidate , we would all be pumped.

But because he happens to already work there, it’s somehow a bad thing?
    Keith Butler was one of the great Linebacker coaches too. Could probably write that whole statement about him a few years ago.

All I'm saying is at least put on a front like you turn over every rock search high and low

Merry Christmas

Butler giving interviews confirming he didn’t call plays.

All the more reason Austin is the likely candidate.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Even if it’s Austin in their minds, they should still be doing their due diligence and interviewing multiple people to see what else might be out there. If they aren’t, it’s just another lazy in house promotion that will probably not change anything for the better…

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Keith Butler was one of the great Linebacker coaches too. Could probably write that whole statement about him a few years ago.

All I'm saying is at least put on a front like you turn over every rock search high and low

Why?

What’s the goal?

They’re not changing from a 3-4. So there’s over half the candidates gone right there.

What does Fangio bring to the table that is significantly different than what they’re already doing? Pressure with 4? Check. Two safety shell to aid in coverage? Check. Prefer to play with 2 flexible ILBs on the field? Check. Or at least when the talent allows.

Is he a significant enough upgrade to change what until this year was incredibly successful ? Statistically it does not appear so.

Why?

What’s the goal?

They’re not changing from a 3-4. So there’s over half the candidates gone right there.

What does Fangio bring to the table that is significantly different than what they’re already doing? Pressure with 4? Check. Two safety shell to aid in coverage? Check. Prefer to play with 2 flexible ILBs on the field? Check. Or at least when the talent allows.

Is he a significant enough upgrade to change what until this year was incredibly successful ? Statistically it does not appear so.
    Yeah all of that is why I'm not a highly paid NFL coach.

All I'm asking is interview a few people.

Merry Christmas

I hope the steelers will stop being great against averages or poor offenses but not be competitive against elite offenses or in the playoff games...I have my doubts

Yeah all of that is why I'm not a highly paid NFL coach.

All I'm asking is interview a few people.

I actually don’t care if they interview 0 people or 100 people.

But I don’t understand why you can be so certain that’s the “right” idea if you can’t say why?

It’s VERY possible that you are totally correct. But it just seems there’s always a knee jerk reaction around here that this or that is dumb and/or wrong without always saying why.

And it’s not fair for me to put that all on you and your one reasonable posting.

For me, if they interview folks I hope it’s younger coaches I’ve never heard that could have innovative ideas rather than the same old names that get hired every year.

I actually don’t care if they interview 0 people or 100 people.

But I don’t understand why you can be so certain that’s the “right” idea if you can’t say why?

It’s VERY possible that you are totally correct. But it just seems there’s always a knee jerk reaction around here that this or that is dumb and/or wrong without always saying why.

And it’s not fair for me to put that all on you and your one reasonable posting.

For me, if they interview folks I hope it’s younger coaches I’ve never heard that could have innovative ideas rather than the same old names that get hired every year.
    So maybe I think it's a good idea to shop around whatever. Just take the first thing in front of you.

I think if you have a job opening IDC what the job is , I put probably talk to a few people. Maybe you call in a guy like Mike Tomlin and he wows you. Or you just promote Grimm or Whiz

Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

If it’s indeed Austin is he going to be allowed to call the defensive sets or is Tomlin going to micromanage him too?

Lots of head coaches call either the defensive or offensive plays.

First Tomlin doesn't do anything and doesn't bring anything to the table.

Then we get confirmation that Tomlin has taken a significant hand in a defense that has been dominant when healthy for 3 years in a row or so and that is a bad thing?

Y'all just don't want to be happy sometimes...

Why have a DC if the head coach is going to call the sets? I don’t think it’s a good thing at the professional level. The HC should have enough on his plate without calling the defense. If there are other areas the team is deficient in, like excessive penalties, personnel issues on the o line - it becomes more damning on the head coach because he’s too preoccupied with the defense.

zimmer called the defense too, look where it got him

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    Why have a DC if the head coach is going to call the sets? I don’t think it’s a good thing at the professional level. The HC should have enough on his plate without calling the defense. If there are other areas the team is deficient in, like excessive penalties, personnel issues on the o line - it becomes more damning on the head coach because he’s too preoccupied with the defense.

zimmer called the defense too, look where it got him
    There are how many coaches in the NFL that call their own defense? It is certainly several. I believe there is one coach who should not be named who wins a ton of games that is known for calling his own defenses from time to time...

Coaches that are well lauded on this very board as part of the wish list for the Steelers to replace Tomlin with are primarily known for calling their own offensive plays.

It just seems that we, as Steelers fans, often go out of our way to spin everything as a negative.

There are how many coaches in the NFL that call their own defense? It is certainly several. I believe there is one coach who should not be named who wins a ton of games that is known for calling his own defenses from time to time...

Coaches that are well lauded on this very board as part of the wish list for the Steelers to replace Tomlin with are primarily known for calling their own offensive plays.

It just seems that we, as Steelers fans, often go out of our way to spin everything as a negative.
    time to time is one thing, but if a DC (Ex DC) says he wasn’t calling the plays at all that’s an issue. I don’t know anyone successful that does that. If that’s the case why have a DC?

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    time to time is one thing, but if a DC (Ex DC) says he wasn’t calling the plays at all that’s an issue. I don’t know anyone successful that does that. If that’s the case why have a DC?
    Billy B
    Brandon Staley
    Zimmer (Fired)
    Fangio (Fired)
    Flores?

I counted a half dozen DC's across the league that were recently head coaches and may be again soon...

And Carroll and Tomlin appear to occupy a bit of an in between space where they call "some" amount of plays.

Point is that it is entirely common and has historically been a thing some guys have had a ton of success with on both offense and defense.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

real question is ....

is he retiring or is he Arains retiring ?
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

real question is ....

is he retiring or is he Arains retiring ?
    Maybe he resurfaces in 2 seasons coaching Tom Brady's new team? I will go with the Panthers as Tepper trys to right the ship --- again.