Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: The odds for who will be the starting QB of the steelers in 2022

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: The odds for who will be the starting QB of the steelers in 2022

Mason Rudolph at QB is likely something around a 5-12 season.
    Which puts the Steelers into much better position to draft a highly-touted quarterback in the '23 class. As opposed to kicking the can down the road with an overpriced free agent that just barely puts this team into "contention" at 10-7 or 11-6 but out in the wildcard or divisional round due to a poor O-Line and lack of depth on Defense.

This isn't some contending squad that is a QB away from a championship like the 90's and 2000's teams. More like the Late 80's Steelers. A young team that is rebuilding. We had to slog through a 6-10 season to get Ben.

Mason sucks, but the team in general sucks. The 2021 Steelers were a very bad team on all fronts and Mike Tomlin deserves accolades for pulling that car wreck to 9-7-1 and a postseason spot.

Again, all the more important to build up the O-Line and depth in this offseason and draft.

A) Play Mason a year, suck, get a better QB, but you have more pieces in place for the future.

B) Or Play Mason a year, he plays over his head in a contract year and you have more pieces in place for the future.

C) Or overpay for free agent and go nowhere fast as the team decays around him for a brief "championship window".

- - - Updated - - -

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Mason Rudolph at QB is likely something around a 5-12 season.

Simple defensive strategy of : load up to stop Najee in the run game. Make Mason Rudolph beat you by passing the football. He will get scared and check down on 3rd and long to force a punt. Then if the game is close, he will not move his feet and hang a pass thrown with just arm strength that will be an INT.

Sure Ben with diminished skill, arm strength and athleticism was difficult to watch, but at least he still played QB on the balls of his feet and had the defense read when he got to the LOS. Mason Rudolph has not progressed as a QB since his 2nd year in the league. He is not good.
    Hes really never had a position coach either. Id think it wpuld help to bring along a young guy to actually have someone to coach him

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

For those dreaming of Rodgers…watch how Rodgers didn’t make magic this weekend. And fair enough. The weather sucked. His offensive line was a patchwork mash unit. Then watch the 4th quarter of Chiefs Bills.

Now, why would Rodgers want to come to the Steelers (who are not better than the roster he just fell short with) and have to go through two of Herbert, Burrow, Allen, and Mahomes.

In his twilight years? After a team mortgages major draft capital and cap space?

As amazing as I think Rodgers is and will be for another few years…the more I think through the cost benefit…the more I don’t like it.

All that being said…he’s fun as hell to watch.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Aaron Rodgers is 38 years old. He said he does not want to play through a rebuild. I'm not sure he won't just stay in GB or retire.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Aaron Rodgers is 38 years old. He said he does not want to play through a rebuild. I'm not sure he won't just stay in GB or retire.
    and some would be ok with shipping multiple 1st rounders away for him lol
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

I take Deshaun Watson way before Aaron Rodgers even if the price to pay will be bigger for Watson because he is younger....But I am not even sure I would make this trade for Watson and he has his off-field issues,so it will not happen too

Senior Member Array title="ETL has a reputation beyond repute"> ETL's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    That brings up an interesting question. If another team called about wanting to trade for Mason Rudolph, what do we think they would be willing to give up?

He has put some games on tape and I dont think anybody would offer more than a conditional 7th round pick to take him. This is why I dont understand why some people are in the camp of "lets just give Mason Rudolph a chance".
    i wanted Rudolph to play this year so we wouldn’t have to waste next year to see if he can play or not. I already knew we would go nowhere with Ben. So why not give Mason a chance and see what he can do this year. Not that the season is over - we are back to square one. Giving Rudolph a chance now has opportunity costs. I would prefer a proven veteran like Rodgers or Wilson. Even Garappolo or Carr. I also like Trubisky. All of these QBs would be preferred over Rudolph. However I also know all of those QB have a hefty price (except for Trubisky).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Think the Steelers are a shitshow right now? The Broncos are infinitely worse. No way does Rodgers go to the Broncos.
    agreed. New head coach needed. I think Rodgers likes the stability in Pittsburgh.

Senior Member Array title="Orion has a reputation beyond repute"> Orion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ETL View Post
    i wanted Rudolph to play this year so we wouldn’t have to waste next year to see if he can play or not. I already knew we would go nowhere with Ben. So why not give Mason a chance and see what he can do this year. Not that the season is over - we are back to square one. Giving Rudolph a chance now has opportunity costs. I would prefer a proven veteran like Rodgers or Wilson. Even Garappolo or Carr. I also like Trubisky. All of these QBs would be preferred over Rudolph. However I also know all of those QB have a hefty price (except for Trubisky).

- - - Updated - - -

agreed. New head coach needed. I think Rodgers likes the stability in Pittsburgh.
    thats what i was saying before the season. 2021 should have been for auditions for 2022 and get the salary cap reset. instead they make a half ass effort at the roster just to give Ben his sendoff. they pissed away 20 million of the 2022 cap on Ben, JuJu and ebron. they are also gonna eat 2.34 million for ingram and 1.77 million when they cut slowbert. they could have rolled over another 7 million to 2022 by cutting haden. they could have been major players in free agency in march. would have went a long way towards righting the ship....BUUUUUT hey lets pretend like we have a shot with Ben instead.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

yeah lets get Aaron rogers to play QB and have him bring with him Adams and while we are at it lets get Sean Payton to be the new OC

trade for Aaron Donald to solidify the D line and Orlando Brown and Ryan Jensen to solidify the O-Line ...

yeah we got this even if we have zero picks the next 5 years ......... its ridiculous

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

I think some record predictions with MR at QB next year (if he is the QB) are a little exaggerated on the negative side.

1. We should have a rebuilt O-line and improved running game
    2. Defense should have DL back to strength (Tuitt, Alualu) and hopefully some additions to the ILB and CB positions
    3. A good WR corps, hopefully juju resigned.

4. MR is 5-4-1, he played well against the Browns at the end of last year and put us in position to win the Detroit game if DJ doesn't lose the ball. You can focus on his negative plays but he's done reasonably well also the last two starts for me to think we should go about .500 next year at the least with the needed OL and defensive positions filled, (just extrapolating his existing record with these assumptions). I think that and some experience should be enough of a counter to defenses getting added tape on him. Maybe 500 is not a good thing if were looking for draft position in 23 but it makes Tomlin look good.

that being said, i don't think its that far fetched that Rodgers comes here. Tomlin i'm sure likes the idea of a franchise QB and not having to deal with a rebuild as well as perhaps the likes of TJ and Cam who don't want to spend 2 probably 3 years of their primes in mediocrity - rebuilding, before a franchise QB gets a handle on things (if we even land a franchise QB). i would think they (as well as ownership) want to stay in contention if its within reach.

Rodgers meanwhile has leverage, if the packers make dealing Rodgers to his preferred destination undoable by asking for too much he can retire (which he's hinted at) and the Packers are left with nothing. They would have to compromise with the team he wants to go to, Could be the steelers, he's already sent winks and smiles. I don't know if its a great idea either or sure fire to the SB but i think its nonetheless a distinct possibility (55%?).

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    yeah lets get Aaron rogers to play QB and have him bring with him Adams and while we are at it lets get Sean Payton to be the new OC

trade for Aaron Donald to solidify the D line and Orlando Brown and Ryan Jensen to solidify the O-Line ...

yeah we got this even if we have zero picks the next 5 years ......... its ridiculous
    Steelers are going to surprise everyone and be active in the trade market and free agency this off-season.

our starting lineups next season:

QB - Aaron Rodgers
    RB - Najee Harris
    WR - Davante Adams
    WR - Diontae Johnson
    WR - Chase Claypool
    TE - Pat Freiermuth
    OC - Ryan Jensen
    LG - Kevin Dotson
    RG - Laken Tomlinson
    LT - Terron Armstead
    RT - Orlando Brown

NT - Akiem Hicks
    DE - Cam Heyward
    DE - Calais Campbell
    OLB - TJ Watt
    ILB - Dont'a Hightower
    ILB - Leighton Vander Esch
    OLB - Chandler Jones
    CB - JC Jackson
    FS - Minkah Fitzpatrick
    SS -Terrell Edmunds
    CB - Ahkello Witherspoon

Senior Member Array title="Orion has a reputation beyond repute"> Orion's Avatar

so we aint gettin honey badger for SS ?

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Steelers are going to surprise everyone and be active in the trade market and free agency this off-season.

QB - Aaron Rodgers
    RB - Najee Harris
    WR - Davante Adams
    WR - Diontae Johnson
    WR - Chase Claypool
    TE - Pat Freiermuth
    OC - Ryan Jensen
    LG - Kevin Dotson
    RG - Laken Tomlinson
    LT - Terron Armstead
    RT - Orlando Brown

NT - Akiem Hicks
    DE - Cam Heyward
    DE - Calais Campbell
    OLB - TJ Watt
    ILB - Dont'a Hightower
    OLB - Chandler Jones
    CB - JC Jackson
    FS - Minkah Fitzpatrick
    SS -Terrell Edmunds
    CB - Ahkello Witherspoon

Now THAT would be a busy trade and free agency offseason!

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

QB - Aaron Rodgers
    RB - Najee Harris
    WR - Davante Adams
    WR - Diontae Johnson
    WR - Chase Claypool
    TE - Pat Freiermuth
    OC - Ryan Jensen
    LG - Kevin Dotson
    RG - Laken Tomlinson
    LT - Terron Armstead
    RT - Orlando Brown

NT - Akiem Hicks
    DE - Cam Heyward
    DE - Calais Campbell
    OLB - TJ Watt
    ILB - Dont'a Hightower
    OLB - Chandler Jones
    CB - JC Jackson
    FS - Minkah Fitzpatrick
    SS -Terrell Edmunds
    CB - Ahkello Witherspoon
    Fuck Hightower…lol

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

QB - Aaron Rodgers
    RB - Najee Harris
    WR - Davante Adams
    WR - Diontae Johnson
    WR - Chase Claypool
    TE - Pat Freiermuth
    OC - Ryan Jensen
    LG - Kevin Dotson
    RG - Laken Tomlinson
    LT - Terron Armstead
    RT - Orlando Brown

NT - Akiem Hicks
    DE - Cam Heyward
    DE - Calais Campbell
    OLB - TJ Watt
    ILB - Dont'a Hightower
    OLB - Chandler Jones
    CB - JC Jackson
    FS - Minkah Fitzpatrick
    SS -Terrell Edmunds
    CB - Ahkello Witherspoon
    Lol... SuperbowlS

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    so we aint gettin honey badger for SS ?
    I think the plan is Jamaal Adams for SS. Then Trent Williams at LT, Darius Leonard at ILB, Jalen Ramsey at CB and Justin Tucker K.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Fuck Hightower…lol
    you're right.

we will trade for Darius Leonard then.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Rodgers is a choke artist, he catch a bad one he better off shootin himself with papa doc's handgun

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Rodgers is a choke artist, he catch a bad one he better off shootin himself with papa doc's handgun
    He’s passed Peyton Manning for the best regular season QB ever!

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    He’s passed Peyton Manning for the best regular season QB ever!
    But even tho the 49ers passed on him he has manage to get them 4 playoff wins

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

But even tho the 49ers passed on him he has manage to get them 4 playoff wins
    Almost as many as he has the Packers!

Almost as many as he has the Packers!
    hey lets spend 2 or 3 first rounders to get a couple years from him and maybe 1 playoff win !! wooo hoo lets go !!!

hey lets spend 2 or 3 first rounders to get a couple years from him and maybe 1 playoff win !! wooo hoo lets go !!!
    If it’s reasonable I can see it. But the Broncos are more desperate and will give up three 1’s. I’m hopeful for a journeyman that pulls a Rich Gannon.

If it’s reasonable I can see it. But the Broncos are more desperate and will give up three 1’s. I’m hopeful for a journeyman that pulls a Rich Gannon.
    I'd take that !!

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Looking for an old guy to play QB? Ryan Fitzpatrick might be ready to go by the preseason. Is that too much of a journeyman?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Outside chance Tannehill gets cut loose

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Outside chance Tannehill gets cut loose
    I wouldnt want him ......... he isnt a good QB all he is , is a placeholder that costs way to much money .. i'd rather roll with mason and suck and have better picks in 2023 then to overpay Tannehill to win 3-4 more games and have worse selections

[IMG][/IMG]

those are the commonly considered meh QBs who won a SB

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

[IMG][/IMG]

There's also the 21 playoff games. It's not like Rodgers is a terrible QB.

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

[IMG][/IMG]

Only 7 QBs with 20 starts and yes Rogers is the worst
    Brady
    Montana
    Elway
    Manning
    Ben
    Farve
    Rogers

Damn he horrible , id take trent dilfer

I mean Kap and Butt fumble have better play off records

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by NCSteeler; 01-27-2022 at 12:36 PM.
    Merry Christmas