Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who's Next If Butler Retires?

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Who's Next If Butler Retires?

Ike thinks Vic Fangio is the man.

@ about 9:40

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Who's Next If Butler Retires?

Same for me...But I think that this is too good to be true.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Same for me...But I think that this is too good to be true.
    Where in the world have you been? Welcome back! and I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Where in the world have you been? Welcome back! and I agree.
    Thanks!

I missed several games of the steelers this year for one of the first times since a very long time, since it was painful sometimes to see Ben being bad like that this year...I still watched the last 3 games but I knew before the season that it was not going to be a good year and it was going to be painful to watch by moment

Ravens just fired DC Wink Martindale...

Will the Steelers think about it if Butler is gone?

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Ravens just fired DC Wink Martindale...

Senior Member Array title="ThorndikeFFA has much to be proud of">

I think Wink!

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Cmon!! It’s Austin. Here’s here. That checks the box.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

99.99% Teryl Austin.

I would love Gregg Williams.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I’m suspicious of Gregg Williams. He puts some fun to watch defenses on the field.

But he’s never been anywhere longer than 3 years. Often less. Last few stops he’s not parted on the best terms with players or coaches.

With the team laying the new foundations for the NEXT window of contention, Williams may not fit.

He seems more like the hired gun you bring in to push a defense over the top for a year or two.

Just a stray thought.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I’m suspicious of Gregg Williams. He puts some fun to watch defenses on the field.

But he’s never been anywhere longer than 3 years. Often less. Last few stops he’s not parted on the best terms with players or coaches.

With the team laying the new foundations for the NEXT window of contention, Williams may not fit.

He seems more like the hired gun you bring in to push a defense over the top for a year or two.

Just a stray thought.
    I would still absolutely love Gregg Williams. He lost his job with the Rams because Fisher was fired, he made interim HC for the Browns when Hue was fired and the fans wanted Williams as the new HC but Kitchens got the gig, and he got fired from the Jets for going against Gase on a call. Williams called an all out zero cover blitz against a hail mary play and lost. His defenses are good. His players love playing for him by all accounts I read. He is not for everyone though. He is a controversial hire.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I would still absolutely love Gregg Williams. He lost his job with the Rams because Fisher was fired, he made interim HC for the Browns when Hue was fired and the fans wanted Williams as the new HC but Kitchens got the gig, and he got fired from the Jets for going against Gase on a call. Williams called an all out zero cover blitz against a hail mary play and lost. His defenses are good. His players love playing for him by all accounts I read. He is not for everyone though. He is a controversial hire.
    Yeah, that was the dumbest defensive play call ever. The guy deserved to get fired for that. If you want a guy that can give up a 4 point lead and victory with a single call, then he is the guy.

Or a guy that puts financial bounties out against opposing players.

Vic Fangio is still for me the better candidate and also the better fit for the steelers in the candidates available.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Vic Fangio is still for me the better candidate and also the better fit for the steelers in the candidates available.
    It’s going to be Austin and we will see similar defenses that Butler had because Tomlin is still here. I wouldn’t mind Fangio a little bit. I wouldn’t mind seeing “freshness” on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Yeah, that was the dumbest defensive play call ever. The guy deserved to get fired for that. If you want a guy that can give up a 4 point lead and victory with a single call, then he is the guy.

Or a guy that puts financial bounties out against opposing players.
    LOL!! I love listening to Pat McAfee. I don't get to ever hear the entire show, it's like 3-4 hours long. But I always enjoy what I do get to hear. PLUS, when he gives his opinions he can back them up with football stories of experiences that lead him to those opinions. Usually.

The Rex Ryan quote was awesome.

Sorry for the tangent here....One thing AJ says, the headphones stay live until 15 seconds on the playclock. There have been many accusations of 'some teams' leaving them on until the snap but I wonder how many of those teams snap their plays before the clock reaches 15 seconds. I know for the Steelers last season the playclock went to 2 seconds or less nearly every snap. Could that be a 'game hack' some HCs might employ to keep a defense from making a late shift?

My feeling is that Vic Fangio will be the DC of the ravens

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

LOL!! I love listening to Pat McAfee. I don't get to ever hear the entire show, it's like 3-4 hours long. But I always enjoy what I do get to hear. PLUS, when he gives his opinions he can back them up with football stories of experiences that lead him to those opinions. Usually.

Sorry for the tangent here....One thing AJ says, the headphones stay live until 15 seconds on the playclock. There have been many accusations of 'some teams' leaving them on until the snap but I wonder how many of those teams snap their plays before the clock reaches 15 seconds. I know for the Steelers last season the playclock went to 2 seconds or less nearly every snap. Could that be a 'game hack' some HCs might employ to keep a defense from making a late shift?
    I liked when these guys were talking about "what if a call came in over the headset to you on defense that didnt make sense?" AJ Hawk tells of a time when that happened and the rest of the players are looking at him like WTF, so he just changed the call "check to Tampa".

Then when Darrius Butler was asked "what if that call comes into you guys in that situation?". He says rather than cover 0 blitz man he is all like "nah, check to a base call and GTFB (Git The Fu*K Back!)"

Greg Williams is terrible. Hard no.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

What time is that show on? Is that on Sirius?

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    What time is that show on? Is that on Sirius?
    I listen on podcast. But like I said it's like 3 hours long so I get it in pieces. Over a lunch break or something. He is very entertaining and the takes are absolutely awesome.

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

I don't like to brag but I have a little connection with the Steelers. Sometimes it gets me little slivers of information. Anyway, my source says the Steelers have decided on a new defensive coordinator. My source wouldn't reveal the name but did give me some insight:

1) The person is very familiar with the Steelers and is well respected by them.
    2) Has an extensive coaching record. In fact, has never had a losing record as a defensive coordinator.
    3) Players have a great deal of respect for him but he has a stubborn streak.
    4) We will never lose him to the college ranks. Just ask him.
    5) Couldn't get a name but it rhymes with Spike Stromlin.

Best I could do.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I listen on podcast. But like I said it's like 3 hours long so I get it in pieces. Over a lunch break or something. He is very entertaining and the takes are absolutely awesome.
    I think McAfee is an idiot, so I guess we all see things differently!

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I think McAfee is an idiot, so I guess we all see things differently!
    Dont tell me you are an Urban Meyer fan. I love McAfee and his beef with Urb, its classic.

McAfee is a guy having a good time that knows football from being around it for so long and likes to party and have some laughs. If you take his show for what it is, then it will be entertaining. I will gladly watch that 10x over anything that the Skip Bayless, Colin Cowturd type guys that are just antagonistic hot take machines to draw viewers based mostly on hate.

McAfee once told a story about the scowl on Rich Rodriguez face and said he saw it after he was caught at a WVU party that he denied being at, only for Rich Rod to let him know that the police chief told him Pat was there. It was good.

Dont tell me you are an Urban Meyer fan. I love McAfee and his beef with Urb, its classic.

McAfee is a guy having a good time that knows football from being around it for so long and likes to party and have some laughs. If you take his show for what it is, then it will be entertaining. I will gladly watch that 10x over anything that the Skip Bayless, Colin Cowturd type guys that are just antagonistic hot take machines to draw viewers based mostly on hate.

McAfee once told a story about the scowl on Rich Rodriguez face and said he saw it after he was caught at a WVU party that he denied being at, only for Rich Rod to let him know that the police chief told him Pat was there. It was good.
    Don't care two hoots about Urban. "McAfee knows football..." Meh, he was a punter. Did he play football?? For me, he reminds me of a late-30's unemployed loser in his mom's basement trying to sound cool by how many F bombs he can say on radio. No interest.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Don't care two hoots about Urban. "McAfee knows football..." Meh, he was a punter. Did he play football?? For me, he reminds me of a late-30's unemployed loser in his mom's basement trying to sound cool by how many F bombs he can say on radio. No interest.
    He is just doing a bit better than an unemployed loser living in the basement.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

as I said in another thread ... Gregg Williams would be my choice , Fangio is an interesting possibility as well ...

that said right or wrong I believe it ends up being Austin .....
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Williams is better that Butler(this is not hard to do) but I don't think he will be a good fit for our defense...I am not sure he is better that Austin too.Austin had some good defense in Detroit and this is very hard to do

But this is very funny the terrible call by Greg Williams in his finals game with the Jets...If he make this call just because he wanted to be fired,I don't blame Williams since the jets were a dumpster fire!

He is just doing a bit better than an unemployed loser living in the basement.

He's still an idiot punter.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Williams is better that Butler(this is not hard to do) but I don't think he will be a good fit for our defense...I am not sure he is better that Austin too.Austin had some good defense in Detroit and this is very hard to do

But this is very funny the terrible call by Greg Williams in his finals game with the Jets...If he make this call just because he wanted to be fired,I don't blame Williams since the jets were a dumpster fire!

on the flip side part of being a defensive play caller is to keep the opponent guessing and if you think you can rattle the qb into a mistake during panic and it works you look like a genius , if it fails you look like a dumb ass ... it failed in that instance but it almost didnt fail ....

on the flip side part of being a defensive play caller is to keep the opponent guessing and if you think you can rattle the qb into a mistake during panic and it works you look like a genus , if it fails you look like a dumb ass ... it failed in that instance but it almost didnt fail ....
    But up by 4 points with 15 seconds left in the game,it was not the time to take a risk like that....The right thing to do was to protect the end zone and the sideline

But up by 4 points with 15 seconds left in the game,it was not the time to take a risk like that....The right thing to do was to protect the end zone and the sideline

while true I can see the logic ... show the opponent something they do not expect ... again if it works he looks like a genius