Thread: Daniel Jeremiah 2022 NFL mock draft

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Daniel Jeremiah 2022 NFL mock draft

R1 Steelers take Charles Cross OT Mississippi State

https://www.nfl.com/news/daniel-jere...is-among-3-qbs

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Re: Daniel Jeremiah 2022 NFL mock draft

I think Kipwr has him going in the top ten. I would expect alot of things would have to fall in place for a guy rated as a future elite LT to slide to 20

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Cross, Green, or Linderbaum would be fantastic.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

If we're not getting a QB, I would rather use this pick on the defensive side of the ball, where we need it just as badly and could probably get a more impactful player for it. The only way I would even consider using it on an offensive lineman was if we signed or traded for a better QB before the draft. Otherwise, you are ignoring your other problems and using your top pick on protecting a QB you don't have, and you look like a fool. A real loser's move.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    If we're not getting a QB, I would rather use this pick on the defensive side of the ball, where we need it just as badly and could probably get a more impactful player for it. The only way I would even consider using it on an offensive lineman was if we signed or traded for a better QB before the draft. Otherwise, you are ignoring your other problems and using your top pick on protecting a QB you don't have, and you look like a fool. A real loser's move.
    a Jordan Davis type would be a greater fill than an O-Lineman IMO too but I prefer getting the QB if he is there
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    a Jordan Davis type would be a greater fill than an O-Lineman IMO too but I prefer getting the QB if he is there
    I think it goes without saying that if we can get a decent QB, that's top priority over everything else. Otherwise were stuck with basically a Charlie Batch or worse level of play for a full season, which means it doesn't matter what else you do, you'll be extremely lucky to have a winning record. But if the pick or a deal just isn't there, we're kind of stuck. I really hope we can find someone better than the two backup-level guys we've got BEFORE the draft, it would make our job a lot easier.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I'm not extremely for or against the Charles Cross pick. He is a highly thought of LT and might be the perfect piece for a young up and coming OL. If he replaced Dan Moore on the left side and Moore moves to the RT, that could be good. OR maybe Moore stays at LT and Cross takes up RT duties. We would then have Banner as the backup swing?

I am of the opinion that drafting a position simply because you need that position is a failed tactic. "The Steelers need a QB to replace Ben so we should draft a QB in the 1st round since that's what we need", is what the Browns do. Positions have a value. Prospects at each position have a separate grouping set of values. The Steelers should not spend a 1st round pick on a QB they value lower than an OT who is available at 20 just because of need. If the Steelers find a trade partner and trade back and acquire an additional pick or 2, maybe that changes the value of that QB at the new pick position. Basically you cannot enter the draft with hard pre-made decisions on positions you will draft and in which round. The draft is a fluid process.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I'm not extremely for or against the Charles Cross pick. He is a highly thought of LT and might be the perfect piece for a young up and coming OL. If he replaced Dan Moore on the left side and Moore moves to the RT, that could be good. OR maybe Moore stays at LT and Cross takes up RT duties. We would then have Banner as the backup swing?

I am of the opinion that drafting a position simply because you need that position is a failed tactic. "The Steelers need a QB to replace Ben so we should draft a QB in the 1st round since that's what we need", is what the Browns do. Positions have a value. Prospects at each position have a separate grouping set of values. The Steelers should not spend a 1st round pick on a QB they value lower than an OT who is available at 20 just because of need. If the Steelers find a trade partner and trade back and acquire an additional pick or 2, maybe that changes the value of that QB at the new pick position. Basically you cannot enter the draft with hard pre-made decisions on positions you will draft and in which round. The draft is a fluid process.
    Yeah I agree that you can't choose only by needs, otherwise it's probably going to be a huge reach....But I believe you can choose the best player from the needs of the team and the steelers have several needs right now

With around 35 million in cap space for the free agency and probably more after some cut(Joe Schobert) , it is possible that the steelers will spend on free agents, whether it is some of their players and in the other teams so we will know more of our needs in 2 months for the draft!

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Yeah I agree that you can't choose only by needs, otherwise it's probably going to be a huge reach....But I believe you can choose the best player from the needs of the team and the steelers have several needs right now

With around 35 million in cap space for the free agency and probably more after some cut(Joe Schobert) , it is possible that the steelers will spend on free agents, whether it is some of their players and in the other teams so we will know more of our needs in 2 months for the draft!
    All true.

If Colbert is locked in on the QB he wants(Sam Howell as example), and we all know QB is THE need, IF that QB is there at 20 of course you take him. Just going off the DJ draft though Howell(as example) would have been available at 20 and DJ went OT. Because the QB position has such a high value you will always take your top QB over your top any other position. But if Colbert's second QB on his draft board(Carson Strong as example) has a 2nd round grade, you may draft your higher graded OT at 20, BUT because of position value, QB2 would have to be part of that thought process and weighed accordingly. Reaching for QB2 and missing out on OT1 could cost in the long term, as well as not reaching for QB1 could cost on the long term too. Lots of gray area and not just a black and white decision at all. Good GMs earn their pay.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    All true.

If Colbert is locked in on the QB he wants(Sam Howell as example), and we all know QB is THE need, IF that QB is there at 20 of course you take him. Just going off the DJ draft though Howell(as example) would have been available at 20 and DJ went OT. Because the QB position has such a high value you will always take your top QB over your top any other position. But if Colbert's second QB on his draft board(Carson Strong as example) has a 2nd round grade, you may draft your higher graded OT at 20, BUT because of position value, QB2 would have to be part of that thought process and weighed accordingly. Reaching for QB2 and missing out on OT1 could cost in the long term, as well as not reaching for QB1 could cost on the long term too. Lots of gray area and not just a black and white decision at all. Good GMs earn their pay.
    Yeah, I don't draft a QB in the first round if he has no chance of being special...The Steelers like other teams need a special QB if they want to have a chance in almost every year... .Also if as an example, around the 12th pick, a QB that the steelers think can be special and is still available and can trade up, they need to make that move.

Of course, does a QB in this draft have a chance of having a special career?...I have no idea right now and if this is not the case draft in another position!... .Very important for steelers to properly assess this situation!

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I do not understand this logic at all. The game is won int he trenches. The top O-lines in the league are routinely in the playoffs. They help the run game, and they make QBs look better than they are. Heck, if you give a decent QB 5-6 second, he can look very good.

I understand drafting a DT or ILB (if they are the BPA), but to say that having a good O-line is foolish...

- - - Updated - - -

I was big, big, big on Jordan Davis. But, in the SEC playoffs, the Georgia fans were ruthless about calling him out. I guess that he takes plays off, and does not put forth full effort. When he is "on", he is amazing... but, apparently, he is very hot & cold.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Cross, Green, or Linderbaum would be fantastic.
    Agreed!!!

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Makes sense unless Alualu/Tuitt are back, then I think OL is the bigger need. We also need an ILB, CB and another OL. If we can get year 1 starters with our first 2 picks and solid FA pickups we are set for whatever QB we get either this season or next and the next few years.

Wait… Linderbaum was available at 20!!!

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Wait… Linderbaum was available at 20!!!
    He could be.

http://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/positions/c

If I’m reading this chart right, Pouncey was the highest drafted center since 1993 at 18. No one drafted higher since either.

NFL teams just don’t put a high draft value on centers.

I think because they mostly aren’t good their first year or two.

But not super sure on that.

I might be good with keeping Green where he is and drafting Ed Ingram OG LSU. This guy just impresses me more every thing I see on him.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

The best player available in the first round is rarely a mistake. When teams get fixated on addressing a particular position, they tend to reach.....and that's when Troy Edwards happens.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

I do not understand this logic at all. The game is won int he trenches. The top O-lines in the league are routinely in the playoffs. They help the run game, and they make QBs look better than they are. Heck, if you give a decent QB 5-6 second, he can look very good.

I understand drafting a DT or ILB (if they are the BPA), but to say that having a good O-line is foolish...

- - - Updated - - -

I was big, big, big on Jordan Davis. But, in the SEC playoffs, the Georgia fans were ruthless about calling him out. I guess that he takes plays off, and does not put forth full effort. When he is "on", he is amazing... but, apparently, he is very hot & cold.
    We have heard that about many of players through the years esp big men ... quite frankly they NEED a snap off here and there its the physical make up of the player ..I do not believe it will be an issue for Davis in a system such as ours where he would be working in a phone booth like environment as a nose and he most times would be coming off the field on 3rd and 4+...
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

We have heard that about many of players through the years esp big men ... quite frankly they NEED a snap off here and there its the physical make up of the player ..I do not believe it will be an issue for Davis in a system such as ours where he would be working in a phone booth like environment as a nose and he most times would be coming off the field on 3rd and 4+...
    The way that Georgia fans were lambasting him, it reminded me of the way we talk about Bush. Of course, that could just be fans very angry about losing the SEC title game, and looking for a scapegoat. Regardless, his effort is something to consider when drafting him.

Senior Member Array title="Orion has a reputation beyond repute"> Orion's Avatar

The way that Georgia fans were lambasting him, it reminded me of the way we talk about Bush. Of course, that could just be fans very angry about losing the SEC title game, and looking for a scapegoat. Regardless, his effort is something to consider when drafting him.
    when i watched davis's highlight video i was like...oh we got to have this guy. then i found some of georgia's games on youtube and focused solely on him. i had a change of heart. at least not in the first round. he only played 36% of the snaps in 2021. 31% in 2020. yet he was always on the sideline sucking wind like he just ran wind sprints. the more consecutive snaps he got the less effort he gave. you could definitely see a difference in him at the beginning of the game compared to the end.
    they have him listed at 330 and i have seen 340 at others. dude looks at least 360 to me. the question is will he committee to physical conditioning. if he shows up at the combine more than 330-335 he would be a hard no thanks for me.
    there is a similar big guy named travis jones from uconn. he is projected in the 3rd.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    The best player available in the first round is rarely a mistake. When teams get fixated on addressing a particular position, they tend to reach.....and that's when Troy Edwards happens.
    and Artie Burns.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    when i watched davis's highlight video i was like...oh we got to have this guy. then i found some of georgia's games on youtube and focused solely on him. i had a change of heart. at least not in the first round. he only played 36% of the snaps in 2021. 31% in 2020. yet he was always on the sideline sucking wind like he just ran wind sprints. the more consecutive snaps he got the less effort he gave. you could definitely see a difference in him at the beginning of the game compared to the end.
    they have him listed at 330 and i have seen 340 at others. dude looks at least 360 to me. the question is will he committee to physical conditioning. if he shows up at the combine more than 330-335 he would be a hard no thanks for me.
    there is a similar big guy named travis jones from uconn. he is projected in the 3rd.
    One of the comments from a Georgia fan mentioned how Davis spent more time with the oxygen tank than he did on the field...

Senior Member Array title="Orion has a reputation beyond repute"> Orion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    and Artie Burns.
    and jarvis jones.

One of the comments from a Georgia fan mentioned how Davis spent more time with the oxygen tank than he did on the field...
    teams only double team him at the beginning of games. i saw linemen handling him easily in single blocks and him not doing much to shed the blocks just leaning on the linemen like a tired boxer. . especially in passing situations. i'm not saying the guy isnt a force, but his poor conditioning keeps him from being consistent. he is the anti energizer bunny.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

I have also jumped off the Davis bandwagon. Wouldn't surprise me if he fell to early day 2. He's a true NT with zero versatility, something this team doesn't look for.

Alualu and Adams will be the NT's in 22'.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    teams only double team him at the beginning of games. i saw linemen handling him easily in single blocks and him not doing much to shed the blocks just leaning on the linemen like a tired boxer. . especially in passing situations. i'm not saying the guy isnt a force, but his poor conditioning keeps him from being consistent. he is the anti energizer bunny.
    The most concerning thing I read about was that the coaches have to reeeally motivate him before games. It works, because he does indeed come out on fire... but, it is still concerning that he needs to be motivated at all. The anti-TJ Watt.

The most concerning thing I read about was that the coaches have to reeeally motivate him before games. It works, because he does indeed come out on fire... but, it is still concerning that he needs to be motivated at all. The anti-TJ Watt.
    i dont know why but a sopranos joke came to mind

"he's so fat his blood type is Ragu"

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    I have also jumped off the Davis bandwagon. Wouldn't surprise me if he fell to early day 2. He's a true NT with zero versatility, something this team doesn't look for.

Alualu and Adams will be the NT's in 22'.
    I see Davis going to the Chargers at #(1)17 in a lot of mock drafts.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

they help you win time of possession - which is everything (keeping the D off the field). If there's a number one priority for a team its to have a solid OL.

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    I see Davis going to the Chargers at #(1)17 in a lot of mock drafts.
    because linval joseph is a free agent. i think they will try to bring him back.