Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why Was Kendrick Green Drafted By The Pittsburgh Steelers

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Why Was Kendrick Green Drafted By The Pittsburgh Steelers

He was a third round pick…there is no “Why was he drafted” question. The better question is why did they let him have 53…

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: Why Was Kendrick Green Drafted By The Pittsburgh Steelers

This guy is maybe not the best analyst you've seen or heard but he does show some of what Green CAN do. Most of these snaps are from the LG position and they are domination snaps for the most part. He does show a play or 2 where you get to see mistakes. All in all a good clip I think...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcPDK-2Od28

I don't know if the plan is for Green to move to RG and the Steelers draft an OC, or if Green will stay at Center and the Steelers draft a Guard. Maybe the plan follows how the draft flows? If Linderbaum is still on the board the Steelers draft a Center and move Green to RG, for instance. But if Linderbaum is already drafted and off the board, the plan becomes get the best OG/OT and keep Green at Center for now. I doubt the Steelers will double dip at IOL in the draft. AND 1 bad season does not make a career.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    This guy is maybe not the best analyst you've seen or heard but he does show some of what Green CAN do. Most of these snaps are from the LG position and they are domination snaps for the most part. He does show a play or 2 where you get to see mistakes. All in all a good clip I think...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcPDK-2Od28

I don't know if the plan is for Green to move to RG and the Steelers draft an OC, or if Green will stay at Center and the Steelers draft a Guard. Maybe the plan follows how the draft flows? If Linderbaum is still on the board the Steelers draft a Center and move Green to RG, for instance. But if Linderbaum is already drafted and off the board, the plan becomes get the best OG/OT and keep Green at Center for now. I doubt the Steelers will double dip at IOL in the draft. AND 1 bad season does not make a career.

I have always been a proponent of building the lines from the inside out , any consideration of leaving Green at Center for me is flawed logic .. we have a year of that tape and 85% of it is not good , meaning if his game improved 35% ( thats a HUGE improvement and highly unlikely ) that we would still be left needing more on 50% of the snaps ...its just not good enough ...

Green reminds me of a guy we drafted many years ago and spent I believe a 2nd round guard/tackle on and we gave up on him before his rookie deal was over ( Kraig Urbik) he just was not the physical presence we wanted / needed ...

this is not to say that Green can not be a serviceable Guard because he may be , but he will IMO never be the Center we need him to be , his game is to predicated on first contact and early control to dictate and at center he just can't snap the ball and still obtain first control ...

obviously this is my opinion for what it is worth
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

I still think Green could be successful at C, he just wasn't ready for it straight out of college. He's learning a new position and could have been better off learning the position behind someone else rather than be thrust right into the fire.

Senior Member Array title="Orion has a reputation beyond repute"> Orion's Avatar

I have always been a proponent of building the lines from the inside out , any consideration of leaving Green at Center for me is flawed logic .. we have a year of that tape and 85% of it is not good , meaning if his game improved 35% ( thats a HUGE improvement and highly unlikely ) that we would still be left needing more on 50% of the snaps ...its just not good enough ...

Green reminds me of a guy we drafted many years ago and spent I believe a 2nd round guard/tackle on and we gave up on him before his rookie deal was over ( Kraig Urbik) he just was not the physical presence we wanted / needed ...

this is not to say that Green can not be a serviceable Guard because he may be , but he will IMO never be the Center we need him to be , his game is to predicated on first contact and early control to dictate and at center he just can't snap the ball and still obtain first control ...

ah the "U" boat. Urbik was drafted in the 3rd in 2009. couldnt beat ramon foster for the backup job behind Kemo. they cut him in 2010. he went to the bills and started and actually was a starter for several years. dude managed to eek out a 8 year career with 63 starts.

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Urbik, damn that's an old bad memory

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Urbik used to be used to clobber Steelers FO. They let a starter go! Can’t identify talent! No one wants to play here! Fire Colbert.

Now Urbik means Green is a failed player. Fire Colbert AND Tomlin.

I guess Urbik is the ultimate Steelers litmus test?

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Urbik used to be used to clobber Steelers FO. They let a starter go! Can’t identify talent! No one wants to play here! Fire Colbert.

Now Urbik means Green is a failed player. Fire Colbert AND Tomlin.

I guess Urbik is the ultimate Steelers litmus test?
    since I was the one who brought him into the conversation , give that post a read if you haven't already

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

since I was the one who brought him into the conversation , give that post a read if you haven't already
    That’s why I didn’t quote it.

The Urbik reference may be apt. But Green already moves better than Urbik ever did.

I just think it’s way too early to bail out on Green.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    ah the "U" boat. Urbik was drafted in the 3rd in 2009. couldnt beat ramon foster for the backup job behind Kemo. they cut him in 2010. he went to the bills and started and actually was a starter for several years. dude managed to eek out a 8 year career with 63 starts.
    Urbik played for 9 seasons. Not a terrible career.

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Whatever happened to alligator arms Limas Sweed? Is he working at FedEx now?
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="Orion has a reputation beyond repute"> Orion's Avatar

That’s why I didn’t quote it.

The Urbik reference may be apt. But Green already moves better than Urbik ever did.

I just think it’s way too early to bail out on Green
    absolutely. but only a fool would not have a good contingency plan in place........again. and by contingency plan, that doesnt mean a hail mary like hasenhauer.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    Whatever happened to alligator arms Limas Sweed? Is he working at FedEx now?
    he got fired from there for dropping too many packages and damaging the merchandise.

absolutely. but only a fool would not have a good contingency plan in place........again. and by contingency plan, that doesnt mean a hail mary like hasenhauer.

- - - Updated - - -

he got fired from there for dropping too many packages and damaging the merchandise.
    Contingency plans cost money the 2021 team didn’t have.

Hassenhuar and Finney were what a team screaming for cap space ends up with for contingency plans.

I’m not arguing that any of this was a good idea or a good on the field product. But there’s no big conspiracies or hidden agenda.

They were broke. The rookie represented a better option than his replacement level back up until he didn’t. The end.

Hassenhuar and Finney were what a team screaming for cap space ends up with for contingency plans.

I’m not arguing that any of this was a good idea or a good on the field product. But there’s no big conspiracies or hidden agenda.

They were broke. The rookie represented a better option than his replacement level back up until he didn’t. The end.

the issue I have with it was they had good games on the books from Hassenhuar and from BJ , were they all pro performances no but they were above the line performances ... and Green was basically anointed the job without competition ... after a few weeks SOMEONE should have been saying ummm maybe we can do better with one of the journeymen vets because they did better in the past .... but instead they continued with the Einsteins definition of insanity and doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results all the while your first ballot HoF QB is on his farewell tour ... did they not OWE him better ? did they not owe him an effort of trying ???

that just pisses me off that they did not do all they could to try and field the best team possible under their roster constraints , it also pisses me off that Canada seemingly did NOTHING to come up with game plans that Ben could run effectively and move the ball with yet when we went no huddle minimizing the effect of Canada we moved the ball far better than with any amount of his input ...

frustrating at the very least ... 1 first half TD in last 8 games by the offense #pathetic

they carried 8 million over to this years cap. they had the money. not to mention having a magic pen that allows you to back load contracts or add void years.chargers signed linsley the creme of the crop free agent center. 5 years 62 million he counted 6.6 against their 2021 cap....do the math.. 8 - 6.6 = ?

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

the issue I have with it was they had good games on the books from Hassenhuar and from BJ , were they all pro performances no but they were above the line performances ... and Green was basically anointed the job without competition ... after a few weeks SOMEONE should have been saying ummm maybe we can do better with one of the journeymen vets because they did better in the past .... but instead they continued with the Einsteins definition of insanity and doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results all the while your first ballot HoF QB is on his farewell tour ... did they not OWE him better ? did they not owe him an effort of trying ???

that just pisses me off that they did not do all they could to try and field the best team possible under their roster constraints , it also pisses me off that Canada seemingly did NOTHING to come up with game plans that Ben could run effectively and move the ball with yet when we went no huddle minimizing the effect of Canada we moved the ball far better than with any amount of his input ...

frustrating at the very least ... 1 first half TD in last 8 games by the offense #pathetic
    they carried 8 million over to this years cap. they had the money. not to mention having a magic pen that allows you to back load contracts or add void years. the patriots picked up their starting C this year on a 3 million one year deal. the chargers picked up corey linsley ,the creme of the crop free agent center. 5 years 62 million he counted 6.6 against their 2021 cap....do the math.. 8 - 6.6 = ?

The thing is that the "extra" money went towards signing Turner and Schobert (when DeCastro and Bince suddenly both retired).

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

The thing is that the "extra" money went towards signing Turner and Schobert (when DeCastro and Bince suddenly both retired).
    they HAD 7.758 MILLION dollars of cap space they didnt use. they rolled that over to this year.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/cap/

They tried (and failed?) to balance the needs of now with developing for the future.

According to pressure stats and several other things, there’s a case to be made that Moore should’ve been benched.

What ever happened to Banner? Or Chuks playing any LT?

To me, and that’s not an insightful source, it reads like a team trying to get away in the now with accelerating the development of their rookie OL.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

they HAD 7.758 MILLION dollars of cap space they didnt use. they rolled that over to this year.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/cap/
    Interesting... because, right when they signed Schobert and Turner, I recall the discussion being that Omar Khan had to do his cap-voodoo in order to get those in under the cap. I guess that they had money.

Follow up rejoinder: who was available in the free agency market at that point?

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Interesting... because, right when they signed Schobert and Turner, I recall the discussion being that Omar Khan had to do his cap-voodoo in order to get those in under the cap. I guess that they had money.

Follow up rejoinder: who was available in the free agency market at that point?
    I think it was a timing thing. At various points last season, they had no cap space. By the end they had more.

Plus they typically hold back at least 5 million or so for in season use.

I think it was a timing thing. At various points last season, they had no cap space. By the end they had more.

Plus they typically hold back at least 5 million or so for in season use.
    you are exactly right. if you wanna dive into free agency for anything more than bottom of the barrel players you got to make moves in march. the fact that they didnt even kick the tires on the bottom of the barrel is what i cant wrap my head around considering they didnt have a center under contract in febuary. i myself would have considered it near the top of the priority list , but that just me.
    i seen a quote from tomlin saying they " turn over every stone "...file that right up there with unleashing hell.

they did not need more money to play players already under contract that gave them a better chance to win ...

JC and BJ BOTH gave them a better chance to win over Green who was constantly in Bens lap

they could have mixed Green in at guard to save face considering all the time missed by Dotson and they would then have a better idea going into 2022 of roster needs

you are exactly right. if you wanna dive into free agency for anything more than bottom of the barrel players you got to make moves in march. the fact that they didnt even kick the tires on the bottom of the barrel is what i cant wrap my head around considering they didnt have a center under contract in febuary. i myself would have considered it near the top of the priority list , but that just me.
    i seen a quote from tomlin saying they " turn over every stone "...file that right up there with unleashing hell.
    In March they didn’t have the cap space.

Cap space is a dynamic thing. By the time they finagled their way to the cap space, Finney was the “best” they could do.

Again, I’m not saying it was a good plan or a great idea, but it was the only path available because of the cap math stuff.

they did not need more money to play players already under contract that gave them a better chance to win ...

JC and BJ BOTH gave them a better chance to win over Green who was constantly in Bens lap

they could have mixed Green in at guard to save face considering all the time missed by Dotson and they would then have a better idea going into 2022 of roster needs
    Sure. But they played Green and Moore for 2022+ not for 2021 benefits.

Sure. But they played Green and Moore for 2022+ not for 2021 benefits.

that is/was a disservice to your 18 year vet on his farewell tour ... its liken to throwing in the towel and nobody should be ok with that

that is/was a disservice to your 18 year vet on his farewell tour ... its liken to throwing in the towel and nobody should be ok with that
    As a fan? Yes.

But clearly the team was.

As much as we’ve all lauded Moore, he was awful for big stretches of last season.

I’m guessing they felt the balance between development and competition was something they were willing to accept.

I’m not asking anyone to agree with it or like it. But I don’t think it was some weird Klemm thing or six dimensional Tomlin draft thing. It’s a simple fact that the Steelers need Green and Moore to get better. Fast. And playing is the only path to that goal.