Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: THANKS BEN

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Re: THANKS BEN

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    who do you think Ben will pick to induct him?
    His oldest son will be around 15 at the time so it could be him, but I would guess Pouncey.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

I think we forget just how Horse strong and almost fleet of foot Big Ben was once upon a time .... here is a bit of a reminder of Ben through the years ... enjoy I know I did

Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

We will never see a QB like Ben. There will be another Peyton Manning and another Aaron Rodgers, but the way that Ben played sandlot football had never been seen before (and will never bee seen again).

I remember a story told by Terrell Suggs about a rookie LB who was talking about sacking Ben. Suggs told him, "You haven't played against Ben yet." The rookie replied something about Ben being slow and such. Suggs repeated, "You haven't played against Ben yet." Fast-forward to the game where the rookie LB has Ben dead-to-rites. Ben throws the LB to the ground and converts a third down. As the rookie is getting up off of the grass, Suggs says to him, "Now... you have played against Ben."

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    We will never see a QB like Ben. There will be another Peyton Manning and another Aaron Rodgers, but the way that Ben played sandlot football had never been seen before (and will never bee seen again).

I remember a story told by Terrell Suggs about a rookie LB who was talking about sacking Ben. Suggs told him, "You haven't played against Ben yet." The rookie replied something about Ben being slow and such. Suggs repeated, "You haven't played against Ben yet." Fast-forward to the game where the rookie LB has Ben dead-to-rites. Ben throws the LB to the ground and converts a third down. As the rookie is getting up off of the grass, Suggs says to him, "Now... you have played against Ben."
    Can you imagine being an official during a Steelers game, the rules were always different. He was just getting into his passing game with defenders hanging off of him. He’s already the most sacked QB, if they called a game like they do with Brady, he’d be close to another 100 sacks. He was interviewed after the most recent win against the Ravens, he said, “I hate those games, it’s like being in a car wreck seven times in one afternoon “.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    Can you imagine being an official during a Steelers game, the rules were always different. He was just getting into his passing game with defenders hanging off of him. He’s already the most sacked QB, if they called a game like they do with Brady, he’d be close to another 100 sacks. He was interviewed after the most recent win against the Ravens, he said, “I hate those games, it’s like being in a car wreck seven times in one afternoon “.
    Jim Rome once called Steelers-Ravens the crowbar bowl. Rome described the games as if both teams stood across from each other and whacked each other with blunt metal objects until there was only one person left. Kind of true.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

THANKS BEN

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Jim Rome once called Steelers-Ravens the crowbar bowl. Rome described the games as if both teams stood across from each other and whacked each other with blunt metal objects until there was only one person left. Kind of true.
    My father and I described it similarly. Two teams that had little interest in actually playing football. What they wanted was to meet at the fifty and punch each other in the mouth until someone broke.

I’m in my forties and remember football starting in the late 80’s or so. Easily the BEST rivalry in football that I saw so far.

Football fans that had no rooting stake viewed Steelers Ravens as must see TV. There’s a reason almost every one was on national TV.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    My father and I described it similarly. Two teams that had little interest in actually playing football. What they wanted was to meet at the fifty and punch each other in the mouth until someone broke.

I’m in my forties and remember football starting in the late 80’s or so. Easily the BEST rivalry in football that I saw so far.

Football fans that had no rooting stake viewed Steelers Ravens as must see TV. There’s a reason almost every one was on national TV.
    Great rivalry, but this was arguably an even better one - I unfortunately came in at the tail end of it:

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Great rivalry, but this was arguably an even better one - I unfortunately came in at the tail end of it:

Great point. I’ve no doubt that it was better. Unfortunately, it’s before my time. I greatly appreciate the history and reality of the previous generations of the NFL.

Wish I’d been able to experience that one.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Great point. I’ve no doubt that it was better. Unfortunately, it’s before my time. I greatly appreciate the history and reality of the previous generations of the NFL.

Wish I’d been able to experience that one.
    I missed most of the Steelers/Raiders '70s rivalry (if only I had been about 4 years older!), but I have been blessed to catch every bit of the Steelers/Ravens rivalry.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

thanks for that! I didn’t know Al Davis was such a nice guy lol.

Before the colts left Baltimore and the Ravens were born, there was another heated rivalry - Steelers and Oilers - whenever the Steelers visted the house of pain there was nothing but blue in the stands, and Bum Phillips with his cowboy hat was like darth Vader….I remember someone swiped it from his head after the end of one of the playoff games….78 or 79, we could never win in Houston in the regular season but seemed to get the best of them in the playoffs.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

So when do we think that Ben rolls out the official retirement press conference? March or later??

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

I read that he will be restricting his contract and if he waits until June 1, it will save the Steelers something like 7 million in cap space. Don't quote me.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
    I read that he will be restricting his contract and if he waits until June 1, it will save the Steelers something like 7 million in cap space. Don't quote me.

Restructuring

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    thanks for that! I didn’t know Al Davis was such a nice guy lol.

Before the colts left Baltimore and the Ravens were born, there was another heated rivalry - Steelers and Oilers - whenever the Steelers visted the house of pain there was nothing but blue in the stands, and Bum Phillips with his cowboy hat was like darth Vader….I remember someone swiped it from his head after the end of one of the playoff games….78 or 79, we could never win in Houston in the regular season but seemed to get the best of them in the playoffs.
    LUV YA BLUE!

Yep, that was another good rivalry (albeit a short one). Had to love Bum Phillips. I still vividly recall Joe Greene stuffing Earl Campbell for a loss on 3rd-and-short in the '79 AFCCG. Good times!

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

LUV YA BLUE!

Yep, that was another good rivalry (albeit a short one). Had to love Bum Phillips. I still vividly recall Joe Greene stuffing Earl Campbell for a loss on 3rd-and-short in the '79 AFCCG. Good times!
    My memory. if it's correct, was of Donnie Shell dropping Campbell in the backfield early in that game. I think it gave old "pinch between my cheek and gum" a hip pointer. Not that I wanted to see Campbell hurt, I had a lot of respect for him. It was just emblematic of the whole rivalry: Campbell ran through, and over, every team on the way to the AFCCG, running over d linemen, breaking tackle after tackle, and there is our strong safety - boom, see ya.

As for the Raiders rivalry I guess it's special because of who the Raiders were. They intimidated teams with their physical play and strange behavior. But nobody out physicaled the 70's Steelers. Plus, the most famous play in Steelers' history occurred against the Raiders. But for consistent, year after year, nasty, physical, all-out warlike battles, the rivalry with the Ravens is tops for me.

Quote Originally Posted by oneforthetoe View Post
    My memory. if it's correct, was of Donnie Shell dropping Campbell in the backfield early in that game. I think it gave old "pinch between my cheek and gum" a hip pointer. Not that I wanted to see Campbell hurt, I had a lot of respect for him. It was just emblematic of the whole rivalry: Campbell ran through, and over, every team on the way to the AFCCG, running over d linemen, breaking tackle after tackle, and there is our strong safety - boom, see ya.

As for the Raiders rivalry I guess it's special because of who the Raiders were. They intimidated teams with their physical play and strange behavior. But nobody out physicaled the 70's Steelers. Plus, the most famous play in Steelers' history occurred against the Raiders. But for consistent, year after year, nasty, physical, all-out warlike battles, the rivalry with the Ravens is tops for me.
    Actually, I think you are thinking of the late-season game from the year before where Campbell wound up with badly bruised ribs from Shell - the Steelers wound up winning 13-3 and clinching the (then) AFC Central:

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

Actually, I think you are thinking of the late-season game from the year before where Campbell wound up with badly bruised ribs from Shell - the Steelers wound up winning 13-3 and clinching the (then) AFC Central:

That could be considering I walked out of my office and into the kitchen twice today to tell my head cook something and forgot what I wanted to tell her both times.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Thank you Ben for all the great memories and moments...It was an honor to see you play and play on another level for so long, it won't be easy to find a QB as good as you were in your prime!

The last 3 weeks have been very emotional!

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Perspective

Steelers with Ben are 83-36-1 against divisional opponents and Ben is 26-3-1 against the browns.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    Perspective

Steelers with Ben are 83-36-1 against divisional opponents and Ben is 26-3-1 against the browns.
    Does any QB have a better record against a team then Ben has against the Browns? What’s Brady’s record against the Bills?

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Does any QB have a better record against a team then Ben has against the Browns? What’s Brady’s record against the Bills?
    Brady is like 34-3 against the Bills

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quick google:

Brady is 32-3 vs. Bills
    Ben is Ben vs. Browns
    Rodgers is 22-5 vs. Bears

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Quick google:

Brady is 32-3 vs. Bills
    Ben is Ben vs. Browns
    Rodgers is 22-5 vs. Bears

Like clubbing baby seals.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Congratulations on your retirement Ben!! Well earned time off.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Thanks for all the great moments over a HOF career Ben!

We may find another great quarterback, but there will never be another quarterback that plays the position the way you did.

What a tremendous career. Enjoy your well-earned retirement, and enjoy your family and the rest of your life.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

such a drama queen

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    such a drama queen

Yeah, when you go to work like that, its time to find another job.

All the best in your future endeavors, Ben! Thanks for the memories!