Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Playing scared on defense lets teams like the Chiefs exploit us, and it's going to cost us this game too

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Playing scared on defense lets teams like the Chiefs exploit us, and it's going to cost us this game too

You know, the announcers pointed something out that just kills us every time we play this team. We have a guy shadowing Mahomes, and it takes him out of position from where the play is going. The Chiefs figured out we're doing it and are abusing it at will to get us to overcommit and fake the shit out of us for the last four drives. (edit: make it five.) If we keep doing it, they will keep exploiting it.

So what will we do? A smart coach would quit it and make them find another way to beat us. No, it's not ideal to play a big playmaker like that straight-up, but when they have figured out your scheme and are making you play 10 vs. 11, it's time to try something else.

A few years ago when we played these guys (pre-Mahomes, I believe), we were so afraid of Tyreek Hill that we built our entire defensive game plan around stopping him, and they also figured that out, and abused us whenever they wanted. It's just like a boxer telegraphing every single punch.

I know this was going to be a tough game to win anyway because we are facing an opponent loaded with talent on offense - but we've faced other talented teams and superlative playmakers, and it hasn't turned into a joke like this. This is what it looks like when you get outplayed AND out-coached.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Playing scared on defense lets teams like the Chiefs exploit us, and it's going to cost us this game too

We have players that cannot perform and the Chiefs are just better. Simple as that.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: Playing scared on defense lets teams like the Chiefs exploit us, and it's going to cost us this game too

The Chiefs are just really good at pulling your defense out of shape.

They stretch you out vertical and then it widens out the “soft” spots horizontally.

Add a mobile QB and there’s just so many gaps to defend.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    We have players that cannot perform and the Chiefs are just better. Simple as that.
    When you get embarrassed like this twice in a row, you are probably shooting yourself in the foot in addition to being less talented. Sure, you are probably going to lose this game 80% of the time no matter what you do, but this is what happens when you start out with less talent and then make your disadvantage worse by being stupid.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Id argue the offense punting first 7 possessions was more of the problem. Pathetic. So pissed at DJ ID like to see him cut.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

The Chargers and Titans blitzed Mahomes earlier this year and they both won. Not saying that would have changed tonight but if you're going to give up 42 do it with fire.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Pretty much, I had no expectations going into this game, I just hoped they kept it competitive, though that only lasted a quarter

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Not many teams do have the defense to stop the Chiefs.

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    The Chargers and Titans blitzed Mahomes earlier this year and they both won. Not saying that would have changed tonight but if you're going to give up 42 do it with fire.
    I guess that was kind of the point I was getting at. When you are at a disadvantage in talent, trying to play some clever matchup game is going to work for about one or two possessions. Then, unless the other coach has a head full of rocks, they are going to stop playing into the hands of whatever you're doing, and then they kill you. About the only thing that ever works in that situation is playing super aggressive and hope you fuck enough shit up that you keep them off balance and create some big plays going your way. That might not work either, but at least you have a chance.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

The Steelers have coaches that can’t coach too.

Expect the same for next year.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Our coaches don’t get paid enough to make those in game adjustments. Don’t expect any extra edge from the lowest paid staff in the league. As far as talent, it’s Mahomes vs old Ben with a ton of offensive weapons and a solid line. But 30 points better than us talentwise? No I don’t buy that. Our coaching staff has been an Achilles heel for a number of years now (no I’m not talking about Tomlin per se) and they along with our lack of offensive firepower were exposed

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I turned the game off after the first failed drive of the second half. I can't watch that offense. Thankful the season is over and I don't have to feel that stabbing in my eyeballs for a while.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

It also doesn't help when your defense is out on the field for the entire first half facing an offense like KC's because your own offense does absolutely nothing.

The defense held their own and hung with them for a quarter and some change and that's about all that can reasonably be expected when the offense can't even crank out a first down and are constantly going 3 and out. The real backbreaker was Kelce's long TD late in the 2nd quarter.

Banned Array title="Lloydwoodsonjr is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    It also doesn't help when your defense is out on the field for the entire first half facing an offense like KC's because your own offense does absolutely nothing.

The defense held their own and hung with them for a quarter and some change and that's about all that can reasonably be expected when the offense can't even crank out a first down and are constantly going 3 and out. The real backbreaker was Kelce's long TD late in the 2nd quarter.
    How did the defense "hold its own"? It allowed 42 points on 12 drives? The highest points per drive this season was 2.7 by KC. Tonight KC scored 3.5 per drive.

The Steelers actually ran more offensive plays than the Chiefs- why wasn't the Chiefs defense tired and surrendering dozens of points?

I do agree that the game took a major swing after the failed 2 minute drill (Ben threw deep on 3 and 5 rather than take the 1st with Juju on a whip route) to end the 1st half and subsequent Kelce TD.

I don't see how this defensive performance was acceptable- it is the third playoff game in a row that allowed 40 points.

It didn't help, but the way the defense was getting gashed for one huge play after another did not look like it was because they were tired. More like getting caught with their pants down over and over.

One reason for that could be if we just didn't have a defense made up of players capable of playing an NFL-caliber game, but I don't think that's the case. Our defense is generally an adequate B or B-minus. So the other possibility is that we were doing something incompatible with what our opponent was doing, and we just kept doing it all game. Wouldn't be the first time.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Mahomes is averaging 40+ pts vs Keith Butler in 3 games.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Mahomes is averaging 40+ pts vs Keith Butler in 3 games.

Butler really needs to go away.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    It didn't help, but the way the defense was getting gashed for one huge play after another did not look like it was because they were tired. More like getting caught with their pants down over and over.

One reason for that could be if we just didn't have a defense made up of players capable of playing an NFL-caliber game, but I don't think that's the case. Our defense is generally an adequate B or B-minus. So the other possibility is that we were doing something incompatible with what our opponent was doing, and we just kept doing it all game. Wouldn't be the first time.
    Mahomes will tear this scheme apart every single time. He is the new boogey man for this defensive scheme.

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

How about a blitz? Make him throw hot?

Whatever be more of the same next year. This defense is very talented but often gets caught in the wrong play

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NCSteeler View Post
    How about a blitz? Make him throw hot?

Whatever be more of the same next year. This defense is very talented but often gets caught in the wrong play

To be fair….no one blitzed the Chiefs this year. Everyone got tired of them gouging the blitz. Teams consistently played 2 deep safeties and hoped for the best. It worked early in the season, and then the Chiefs figured something out.

It isn’t like the lack of a blitz was some weird Steelers thing.

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    To be fair….no one blitzed the Chiefs this year. Everyone got tired of them gouging the blitz. Teams consistently played 2 deep safeties and hoped for the best. It worked early in the season, and then the Chiefs figured something out.

It isn’t like the lack of a blitz was some weird Steelers thing.
    True but when you're getting picked aprt quite easily in coverage, you add in a timely blitz

Merry Christmas

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lloydwoodsonjr View Post
    How did the defense "hold its own"? It allowed 42 points on 12 drives? The highest points per drive this season was 2.7 by KC. Tonight KC scored 3.5 per drive.

The Steelers actually ran more offensive plays than the Chiefs- why wasn't the Chiefs defense tired and surrendering dozens of points?

I do agree that the game took a major swing after the failed 2 minute drill (Ben threw deep on 3 and 5 rather than take the 1st with Juju on a whip route) to end the 1st half and subsequent Kelce TD.

I don't see how this defensive performance was acceptable- it is the third playoff game in a row that allowed 40 points.
    I said they held their own for a quarter and some change, which they did seeing as how the Chiefs didn't get on the board until well into the 2nd quarter.

Reading (comprehension) is fundamental!

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post

Except when we didn't have a guy shadowing Mahomes, then he gashed us on the ground too. Even Collinsworth pointed that out.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I said they held their own for a quarter and some change, which they did seeing as how the Chiefs didn't get on the board until well into the 2nd quarter.

Reading (comprehension) is fundamental!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

The play that I found odd was when that O-line threw Watt to the side and caught a TD. Even Collinsworth admitted it was totally illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    The play that I found odd was when that O-line threw Watt to the side and caught a TD. Even Collinsworth admitted it was totally illegal.
    Yeah refs seem to forget offensive PI on that play, but it wouldn't have mattered much at that point

Merry Christmas

Except when we didn't have a guy shadowing Mahomes, then he gashed us on the ground too. Even Collinsworth pointed that out.
    I realize it's kind of a pick your poison situation, but we picked the worse poison if you ask me. The price of shadowing Mahomes was that there was always a guy wide open in the middle of the field, and you just can't do that. All it took was some elementary misdirection and it was guaranteed every time. Forced to choose between the two, I'd always say fine, let them try to beat us with QB scrambles.

It was really reminiscent of the way we used to come out with the soft sit-back zone against Tom Brady every game. As soon as they had a couple series to get a look at it, they'd just throw to the same spot where the same hole was all day. And we had no backup plan, that's what gets me.

Bottom line, everyone has a bad game now and then, but if a good opponent is CONSISTENTLY hanging 40 points on you and the game's out of hand halfway through, it means you're doing something wrong.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

For me, the Chiefs exposed the lack of speed overall on the defense. I know it is far more complex than that but other than MF and Edmunds, no one on the back part of that defense can run. Witherspoon is timed fast...but does he play that way?

Spillane, Schoebert, and Newly Brain Damaged Bush all play too slow to keep up with any of the Chiefs playmakers. Haden just can't run anymore. Certainly not when the play is already behind him. Sutton isn't all that fast. Neither is Norwood.

Not an excuse...just something I have been thinking about. Honestly, all over the roster...there are a lot of "slow" NFL players...

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Right off the bat I have a problem with "playing scared". Nobody on this defense is playing scared. The Chiefs literally have a weapon at every offensive spot that can take it to the house on any play. I dare any one of you on here to scheme the perfect defense for them. OH yeah, you only get a 2min breather between series to catch your breath and make necessary schematic changes. GO.....

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Look, we all knew this would happen this week, hell Ben even said so. The surprising thing was we actually were in the game until the late Kelce TD before the half. If we get a stop there we at least have a chance. As far as the defense goes, I suppose I would have shadowed Mahomes and blitzed the snot out of him rather than let him run around waiting for his people to get open (which is what happened). With his weapons, that was going to happen eventually. Getting little to no pressure on Mahomes killed us more than anything beside the DJ drops.

I stated before the game last week, we would need to win the TO battle, not make stupid penalties to kill drives and catch the balls that hit them in the hands/make the contested catches. They did 2 of the 3 things. The drops on third down that killed multiple drives and the misses by Claypool killed potential drives. If we score another TD in the first half before KC gets rolling and maybe things turn out differently because they have a bigger deficit to make up and we had the momentum.