Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Rebuild of the Offense Has Already Begun

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Re: The Rebuild of the Offense Has Already Begun

The QB search depends on what the Steelers want to do. If they want to make a playoff run in 22 then you see if you can get a Rodgers or Wilson. Otherwise, I would be fine with an average Bridgewater, Mariota or Dalton coming in to compete or backup MR. we don’t need an expensive top FA QB. then we can concentrate more on shoring up the o line, ILB positions, add a CB and WR win a few games, maybe be somewhat competitive enough and look to 23 for a franchise QB.

Bridgewater, Dalton are basically like Charlie Batch - that’s all we need if we’re not intending to make a serious run. Mariotta could be intriguing as a more mobile QB to see how he works in the ‘Canada’ system (if Canada is kept)

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I watched Siemian in NO and he was pretty accurate. He hit guys in the hands and in the numbers. That much I saw was 'good Trevor'. I don't blame drops on the QB. There may have been other things that were not but good but it wasn't his passes.

Bridgewater was good in Minnesota, not so good in Carolina, and mid-level in Denver.

IF the Steelers sign a FA QB one of those guys on that list has to be it. I have read Mariota on here, Brissett, Trubisky, Dewey Haskins, and Dalton as ideas. I think it will be one of these guys. Maybe even Tyrod Taylor. Just talking.
    If those are the options, I’d rather just roll with Rudolph, Haskins and Dobbs and give Duck a call (no pun intended) if necessary…if one of the above goes out for the season, then give one of the free agent pile guys a call…

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

If those are the "FA QB" names, I may make appropriate sacrifices to the elder football gods that the Steelers nope the heck out of that "talent pool". It is not enough of an upgrade over what they have in house already to justify the cap hit it would take to get one of those wonderful fellas in the building.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    The QB search depends on what the Steelers want to do. If they want to make a playoff run in 22 then you see if you can get a Rodgers or Wilson. Otherwise, I would be fine with an average Bridgewater, Mariota or Dalton coming in to compete or backup MR. we don’t need an expensive top FA QB. then we can concentrate more on shoring up the o line, ILB positions, add a CB and WR win a few games, maybe be somewhat competitive enough and look to 23 for a franchise QB.

Bridgewater, Dalton are basically like Charlie Batch - that’s all we need if we’re not intending to make a serious run. Mariotta could be intriguing as a more mobile QB to see how he works in the ‘Canada’ system (if Canada is kept)
    Case Keenum .... I would argue is far more solid than Andy Dalton at this Juncture , more proven than Mariotta and as good and much cheaper than Bridgewater .....

people forget that Keenum won 12 or 13 games with the Vikings taking over for a badly injured Bridgewater and they decided to go all in on Cousins to replace him and haven't won that many since ....

Yes Keenum was an UDFA but he was a HIGHLY decorated collegiate passer and still holds many records to this day at the college ranks ...

he IMO has ALWAYS been under rated but has proven his worth in the league ....

· Ranks first in NCAA history with 39 games with 300 or more passing yards and second with 19 games with 400 or more passing yards.

· Holds the record for most 5,000-yard passing seasons in NCAA history (three).

· Earned the 2009 and 2011 Sammy Baugh Trophy, awarded annually to the nation's top college passer.

· Broke the NCAA Division I career passing touchdowns record during the 2011 season when he threw for a personal-best nine touchdowns against Rice on Oct. 27.

· Started in 14 of 16 games played with St. Louis/Los Angeles in 2015-16, going 7-7 as a starter and completing 272 of 447 passes for 3,029 yards and 13 touchdowns.

· With Kevin Stefanski as his quarterbacks coach in 2017, Keenum set a career high with 22 touchdown passes and registered 3,547 passing yards, while leading the Vikings to an 11-3 record as a starter and a 12-4 overall finish.

· Won the NFC North Division title and added an NFC Championship Game appearance in 2017, the first NFC Championship game appearance for the Vikings in eight years.

so Yes Keenum is under rated and is a guy you can win with its been proven already and he has had as much ( or more ) success as all the others being mentioned and will come at a lower price .... so if Journeyman is what you seek look no further

problem is under contract with Browns in 2022 but with the finish they had and changes likely coming will they want to retain the cap hit in all of this ? anyones guess but he is a guy I would keep my eyes on
    Last edited by Dwinsgames; 01-21-2022 at 12:24 PM.
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

The 'glaring hole' in all of these suggestions is there is only Mason Rudolph under contract. Dobbs is UFA and Haskins is RFA. I don't see either being snatched up at the start of FA, but if they have value, they have value. I feel like Haskins will return since the Steelers can match any offer, but that is just my gut feeling. This year I would rather get a QB from the FA pile than in the draft. Usually I am just the opposite.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    The 'glaring hole' in all of these suggestions is there is only Mason Rudolph under contract. Dobbs is UFA and Haskins is RFA. I don't see either being snatched up at the start of FA, but if they have value, they have value. I feel like Haskins will return since the Steelers can match any offer, but that is just my gut feeling. This year I would rather get a QB from the FA pile than in the draft. Usually I am just the opposite.
    That will depend on if they can find a decent FA who will want to come to Pittsburgh. First have to sell a guy on:

-A)what kind of receiving corps is there for him to throw to?
    -B) What kind of O line does he have in front of him to protect?
    -C) What are the Steelers doing to shore up their run defense which was one of the worst in the NFL, or else the Offense will always be playing from behind.
    -D) Is this a long term move for said QB, or just a 2-3 year deal while the Steelers look to draft the future QB?

Most likely all you will get is a mid level FA QB that is looking for an opportunity to be a starter and collect some more $$ for a few years. The 2022 version of David Woodley, Mike Tomczak, Kent Graham, etc.

I think the notion that Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson would want to come to this situation is very unlikely. More like a Jameis Winston, Marcus Mariota or trade for DeShaun Watson are the best QB's that could end up in the burgh.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    That will depend on if they can find a decent FA who will want to come to Pittsburgh. First have to sell a guy on:

-A)what kind of receiving corps is there for him to throw to?
    -B) What kind of O line does he have in front of him to protect?
    -C) What are the Steelers doing to shore up their run defense which was one of the worst in the NFL, or else the Offense will always be playing from behind.
    -D) Is this a long term move for said QB, or just a 2-3 year deal while the Steelers look to draft the future QB?

Most likely all you will get is a mid level FA QB that is looking for an opportunity to be a starter and collect some more $$ for a few years. The 2022 version of David Woodley, Mike Tomczak, Kent Graham, etc.

I think the notion that Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson would want to come to this situation is very unlikely. More like a Jameis Winston, Marcus Mariota or trade for DeShaun Watson are the best QB's that could end up in the burgh.
    Looking at this draft class I am pretty ok with 2022 Woodley, Tomczak, or Graham. No running game for the RB so why would a running QB be helpful? That just means even more defenders in the box doesn't it? 'Today', I would plan to go with MR, probably Haskins and a mid level FA QB. Spend draft picks on OL and fixing the middle of the defense. The marquis FA get should probably be at CB/C. Good thing the Steelers will have money to spend because they have holes to spend it on.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    Case Keenum .... I would argue is far more solid than Andy Dalton at this Juncture , more proven than Mariotta and as good and much cheaper than Bridgewater .....

people forget that Keenum won 12 or 13 games with the Vikings taking over for a badly injured Bridgewater and they decided to go all in on Cousins to replace him and haven't won that many since ....

Yes Keenum was an UDFA but he was a HIGHLY decorated collegiate passer and still holds many records to this day at the college ranks ...

he IMO has ALWAYS been under rated but has proven his worth in the league ....

· Ranks first in NCAA history with 39 games with 300 or more passing yards and second with 19 games with 400 or more passing yards.

· Holds the record for most 5,000-yard passing seasons in NCAA history (three).

· Earned the 2009 and 2011 Sammy Baugh Trophy, awarded annually to the nation's top college passer.

· Broke the NCAA Division I career passing touchdowns record during the 2011 season when he threw for a personal-best nine touchdowns against Rice on Oct. 27.

· Started in 14 of 16 games played with St. Louis/Los Angeles in 2015-16, going 7-7 as a starter and completing 272 of 447 passes for 3,029 yards and 13 touchdowns.

· With Kevin Stefanski as his quarterbacks coach in 2017, Keenum set a career high with 22 touchdown passes and registered 3,547 passing yards, while leading the Vikings to an 11-3 record as a starter and a 12-4 overall finish.

· Won the NFC North Division title and added an NFC Championship Game appearance in 2017, the first NFC Championship game appearance for the Vikings in eight years.

so Yes Keenum is under rated and is a guy you can win with its been proven already and he has had as much ( or more ) success as all the others being mentioned and will come at a lower price .... so if Journeyman is what you seek look no further

problem is under contract with Browns in 2022 but with the finish they had and changes likely coming will they want to retain the cap hit in all of this ? anyones guess but he is a guy I would keep my eyes on
    Keenum as far as his skill set and experience would be ideal i think. He's always seemed to be a guy who can read defenses and put the ball in the right place. Maybe a little undersized but i don't think that's an issue for a stopgap. He made 6 million this year with the browns so maybe they would let him go to save money if they resign Mayfield.

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    Keenum as far as his skill set and experience would be ideal i think. He's always seemed to be a guy who can read defenses and put the ball in the right place. Maybe a little undersized but i don't think that's an issue for a stopgap. He made 6 million this year with the browns so maybe they would let him go to save money if they resign Mayfield.
    They have Mayfield on the 5th year option now.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

I would be very surprised if the steelers try to make a trade for Watson...it's not realistic, Same thing for Rodgers and Wilson

On twitter I often heard Mariota's name, but I prefer going with what we have than going with Mariota... The titans became a very good offense and team the moment he was benched and it's not as if Tanny is an elite QB...he's top 15 or so

I believe Winston will stay with the Saints....He probably prefers to play for Sean Payton than for Matt Canada...Trusbisky may be an option, same for Kirk Cousins, but it must only be a short term option