Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Rebuild of the Offense Has Already Begun

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Re: The Rebuild of the Offense Has Already Begun

FIRE CANADA!

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Najee Harris, Juju, and Pat Freiermuth are the new offensive core moving forward.

They said there was a figurative passing of the torch from Ben to Najee against the Browns. For all intents and purposes, I think Najee is the Steelers' new franchise guy who the offense must be built around moving forward. He's a gamer who gives it his all every play and he is just getting better.

As sexy as Quarterback is, The Steelers need to build up the trenches next draft. O-Line was very weak these past two seasons.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    Najee Harris, Juju, and Pat Freiermuth are the new offensive core moving forward.

They said there was a figurative passing of the torch from Ben to Najee against the Browns. For all intents and purposes, I think Najee is the Steelers' new franchise guy who the offense must be built around moving forward. He's a gamer who gives it his all every play and he is just getting better.

As sexy as Quarterback is, The Steelers need to build up the trenches next draft. O-Line was very weak these past two seasons.
    I agree 100%!!!

We can be the Titans: outstanding RB, great defense, and a "don't mess it up" QB.

Senior Member Array title="CV1 is a jewel in the rough"> CV1's Avatar

This team is going to look so much different next year.

As sad as it is to see Ben retire, I am excited for the future of this team.

Total hypothetical and more straight up nonsense, but bear with me.

Shop TJ for all the need on offense to be top 10 minus a QB… would you do it?

Ok I’ll see my way out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CV1 View Post
    This team is going to look so much different next year.

As sad as it is to see Ben retire, I am excited for the future of this team.

Total hypothetical and more straight up nonsense, but bear with me.

Shop TJ for all the need on offense to be top 10 minus a QB… would you do it?

Ok I’ll see my way out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes... Patrick Mahomes.
    Yes... Justin Herbert.
    Yes... Josh Allen.
    No... everyone/anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Yes... Patrick Mahomes.
    Yes... Justin Herbert.
    Yes... Josh Allen.
    No... everyone/anyone else.
    I'm not even sure about Herbert and Allen. But if we were offered a one-to-one for Mahomes, or even if we had to give up a second round and Watt, I'd do it. Why? It's a lot easier finding good to great LBs than it is franchise QBs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post

I'm not quite sold on Juju yet. I want to see more consistency from him. I don't think he's a true number 1 receiver right now. That being said, and as much as it hurts to say this, perhaps getting a new QB might help Juju.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    I'm not even sure about Herbert and Allen. But if we were offered a one-to-one for Mahomes, or even if we had to give up a second round and Watt, I'd do it. Why? It's a lot easier finding good to great LBs than it is franchise QBs.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not quite sold on Juju yet. I want to see more consistency from him. I don't think he's a true number 1 receiver right now. That being said, and as much as it hurts to say this, perhaps getting a new QB might help Juju.
    I do not think JuJu is a true #1WR. He is a very solid #2 on most rosters, similar to Hines Ward. There is no true #1WR on this current roster. That has been part of the issues with this offense, and Ben's frustrations and head shakes. BUT...JuJu and Freiermuth together create a problem for defenses in the middle of the field if only because both are very consistent. The Steelers still need that 'X' receiver to really put it together. DJ when good has been great, but he's not consistently good. Same thing for Claypool. I like Claypool because if he does put it all together he will be unstoppable.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I do not think JuJu is a true #1WR. He is a very solid #2 on most rosters, similar to Hines Ward. There is no true #1WR on this current roster. That has been part of the issues with this offense, and Ben's frustrations and head shakes. BUT...JuJu and Freiermuth together create a problem for defenses in the middle of the field if only because both are very consistent. The Steelers still need that 'X' receiver to really put it together. DJ when good has been great, but he's not consistently good. Same thing for Claypool. I like Claypool because if he does put it all together he will be unstoppable.
    They won two Super Bowls without a true number one receiver and a couple very good number 2s...but they did have a Hall of Fame QB.

Tom Brady won a couple Super Bowls with #2s...

Nick Foles won a Super Bowl with a borderline 2 and a bunch of 3s.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

They tried to get DJ to do what AB did, didn’t work, not close

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    They won two Super Bowls without a true number one receiver and a couple very good number 2s...but they did have a Hall of Fame QB.

Tom Brady won a couple Super Bowls with #2s...

Nick Foles won a Super Bowl with a borderline 2 and a bunch of 3s.
    I don't know...I feel Santonio was a true #1. But I see what you mean. Maybe not having at least a true #2WR was the source of Ben's frustrations and headshakes this season?

I have seen several mentions about having to begin a rebuild of the offense starting next year. Folks, the rebuild is already under way. Look at the starters on offense:

QB:

RB: rookie

WR: 2nd year
    WR: 3rd year

TE: rookie

LT: rookie
    LG: 2nd year
    C: rookie
    RG:
    RT:

That is 7 of 11 starters who are on their first contracts… and just beginning to learn how to play in the NFL. Add another couple of O-linemen, and voila!!! the rebuild is complete. (We will also need a quarterback, but that topic has been discussed as nauseum.)
    As we have discussed in other threads as well, I feel it should be posted here too. Obviously QB is #1 on the 'to be fixed' list. With only Mason Rudolph under contract I expect a move to be made in FA before the draft. I also feel the #1 priority in this draft will be QB. I do not know how the FO will value this year's class but I do expect a round 1 selection.

Also at high priority on the 'to be fixed' list is the OL. I think a draft pick of best available OL is in play at 20. Again, it will depend on who the FO likes at QB and is willing to pull the trigger on.

I honestly think these 2 position groups conclude the choices at 20 for the Steelers this particular draft. Outside of these 2 though, the only selection left would be the best defensive prospect on their board at 20. And obviously a lot of the value here will stem from Tuitt's situation moving forward.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I have seen several mentions about having to begin a rebuild of the offense starting next year. Folks, the rebuild is already under way. Look at the starters on offense:

QB:

RB: rookie

WR: 2nd year
    WR: 3rd year

TE: rookie

LT: rookie
    LG: 2nd year
    C: rookie
    RG:
    RT:

That is 7 of 11 starters who are on their first contracts… and just beginning to learn how to play in the NFL. Add another couple of O-linemen, and voila!!! the rebuild is complete. (We will also need a quarterback, but that topic has been discussed as nauseum.)
    So, you're saying that the team made the Wildcard in a rebuilding year.

Weird...almost like they are a well run franchise with competent and capable people in key spots.

Since I know that is not the case....something must be off in my math here...

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post

Weird...almost like they are a well run franchise with competent and capable people in key spots.

LOL!! This is a very well run franchise, IMO. Although I think that run to the wildcard had more to do with an improved secondary and some cat named Watt serving up 22.5 QB sacks. But it could be this rookie class.

- - - Updated - - -

Just to revisit....https://www.steelers.com/draft/2021-draft

It's pretty amazing that they have been able to reconstruct this offense without having to "tank". Sure, there have been some misses, but there are several good pieces in place to have a "top ten" offense within two seasons. Of course, the right QB could make it "top five".

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

It's pretty amazing that they have been able to reconstruct this offense without having to "tank". Sure, there have been some misses, but there are several good pieces in place to have a "top ten" offense within two seasons. Of course, the right QB could make it "top five".
    Yeah. I’m on the optimistic side of this thing. They walked a tightrope with attempting to contend and not waste Ben and other veterans time and rebuild.

Win nine games while force feeding a rookie LT and C snaps? Honestly, not sure that’s been done.

TEs and RBs that are still learning basically everything.

And the same in the WR room.

Yeah. I’m on the optimistic side of this thing. They walked a tightrope with attempting to contend and not waste Ben and other veterans time and rebuild.

Win nine games while force feeding a rookie LT and C snaps? Honestly, not sure that’s been done.

TEs and RBs that are still learning basically everything.

And the same in the WR room.
    Reminds me of the 2002 and 2003 Steelers defenses... that were young (and got torched), but by 2004 had become a juggernaut.

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

Since there has been some discussion of JuJu in this thread, what type of contract do people think is beneficial for the Steelers to sign JuJu? I think he is a good receiver and brings some extra value with this toughness, and his ability to block. I think a 4 year contract at an average value of $9M per season is a good and fair deal for both sides. JuJu's overall stock is low right now I think, and I don't see JuJu breaking the bank with another team, but maybe I am wrong in that assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by dislocatedday View Post
    Since there has been some discussion of JuJu in this thread, what type of contract do people think is beneficial for the Steelers to sign JuJu? I think he is a good receiver and brings some extra value with this toughness, and his ability to block. I think a 4 year contract at an average value of $9M per season is a good and fair deal for both sides. JuJu's overall stock is low right now I think, and I don't see JuJu breaking the bank with another team, but maybe I am wrong in that assumption.
    That’s a totally reasonable deal. I just don’t know if Juju would be willing to buy out his prime for that low?

If he reups for 4 years that’s his last major contract.

But every time I think I understand something about NFL contract values, I’m wrong.

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

That’s a totally reasonable deal. I just don’t know if Juju would be willing to buy out his prime for that low?

If he reups for 4 years that’s his last major contract.

But every time I think I understand something about NFL contract values, I’m wrong.
    I suppose JuJu could also do another 1 year prove it deal since this season was washed out for him, and then look for a longer term contract next offseason.

Looks like most slot WRs are making $5M-$7M per season. The upper level guys make more. JuJu turned down $9.5M + $3.5M in incentives to play for Baltimore last season. He chose to "stay home" for $8M. I would bet when he does sign his next long term deal it will be $10M-$12M per season. And it will probably be with the Steelers.

Looks like most slot WRs are making $5M-$7M per season. The upper level guys make more. JuJu turned down $9.5M + $3.5M in incentives to play for Baltimore last season. He chose to "stay home" for $8M. I would bet when he does sign his next long term deal it will be $10M-$12M per season. And it will probably be with the Steelers.
    That feels right.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    They tried to get DJ to do what AB did, didn’t work, not close
    Just wait for him to develop. Statistically Johnson is better than AB was in his first 3 seasons....so he is on the trajectory to be an all-pro. Maybe the Steelers back up the Brinks truck for Johnson and let JuJu walk, just like they did for AB and let Mike Wallace move on.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dislocatedday View Post
    I suppose JuJu could also do another 1 year prove it deal since this season was washed out for him, and then look for a longer term contract next offseason.
    He clearly wants a 4-Year Deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Just wait for him to develop. Statistically Johnson is better than AB was in his first 3 seasons....so he is on the trajectory to be an all-pro. Maybe the Steelers back up the Brinks truck for Johnson and let JuJu walk, just like they did for AB and let Mike Wallace move on.
    It’s not the stats, it’s drops on critical third down plays. It’s stopping in the middle of your route while Ben’s catchable pass sails into no mans land. The guy is showing himself to be mentally not there. I wouldn’t resign him unless he cured himself of the yips.

I would actually pay juju the 9 or 10 mill per year, he's proven himself, and see if DJ can fix his problems in the last year of his contract (i doubt it)
    Last edited by Steeler-in-west; 01-19-2022 at 02:53 PM.

Senior Member Array title="Steelerchad is a jewel in the rough">

I feel like Green struggled mightily at Center this year. He was a G in college. He struggled with assignments and even snapping the ball was a challenge the whole season. May be able to fix 2 issues with one solid Center pick if there is one that is a value when we pick.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

I would be up for signing a Vet C like Justin Britt for 3-4 million or maybe spending a bit more and snatching up someone like Ben Jones for 5 or so million also grab a decent corner to play opposite Witherspoon ( whom we will need to pay something to keep on board ) .... draft a RT in the 2nd or 3rd round and get my QB round 1 and hammer def the rest of the draft S, ILB, DE in no specific order

O-Line of Moore , Dotson , (Britt/Jones) , Green , Rookie RT
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    He clearly wants a 4-Year Deal.
    The problem is that he's only had one great year. And that year is a distant memory at this point. He was playing opposite AB, who was taking all the doubles. You can't back up the money truck for a guy averaging 8-9 yards a catch. I'd like to re-sign him too, but on a prove me deal of $6-7M x2.

Thoughts on Bridgewater? He is on the FA market this year. I didn't watch much of the Broncos but his numbers don't look bad.

Also, Trevor Siemian played well, IMO, for the Saints. He was the victim of a lot of drops too. I usually get the Saints games every week so I got to watch him play and I was actually impressed.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Thoughts on Bridgewater? He is on the FA market this year. I didn't watch much of the Broncos but his numbers don't look bad.

Also, Trevor Siemian played well, IMO, for the Saints. He was the victim of a lot of drops too. I usually get the Saints games every week so I got to watch him play and I was actually impressed.
    Bridgewater is average, Siemian is below average, neither is going to win games for you, they are going to (mostly) not lose games. Bridgewater was decent in NO because supporting cast was great, he was just ok in Denver. Trevor wasn’t any good either place.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    Bridgewater is average, Siemian is below average, neither is going to win games for you, they are going to (mostly) not lose games. Bridgewater was decent in NO because supporting cast was great, he was just ok in Denver. Trevor wasn’t any good either place.
    I watched Siemian in NO and he was pretty accurate. He hit guys in the hands and in the numbers. That much I saw was 'good Trevor'. I don't blame drops on the QB. There may have been other things that were not but good but it wasn't his passes.

Bridgewater was good in Minnesota, not so good in Carolina, and mid-level in Denver.

IF the Steelers sign a FA QB one of those guys on that list has to be it. I have read Mariota on here, Brissett, Trubisky, Dewey Haskins, and Dalton as ideas. I think it will be one of these guys. Maybe even Tyrod Taylor. Just talking.